Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Tell me about getting pulled over.

I have been driving by myself since I was 14, and I am 27 now. Got pulled over for the first time ever.

So Friday night around 9 PM I got pulled over for going through an intersection with a green right turn arrow. The officer said I needed to come to a complete stop before turning right, and I said I didn't because there was a separate green turn arrow, and it was green. He said he could see over the top of my car that it was red. He questioned me for about five minutes, gave me a sobriety test, and then went back to his car. He said he "checked his video" and that the light was "barely green", and that he wasn't going to issue me a ticket for it. He acted like he was doing me such a huge favor... I would hope he wouldn't write me a ticket for going through a green light.

1. Did he have a legal reason to pull me over, or did he just see five people in a car on a Friday night and want to check us out?

2. How much questioning do I have to endure? I remained respectful and answered his questions, but he asked where specifically I came from, what I ate, what I drank, where I was headed, who was in the car with me (wife, brother in law, brother in law's girlfriend, and sister in law), how long we spent at the restaurant, and stuff like that.

3. On what grounds can he issue a sobriety test? I was coming from a steakhouse, told him I hadn't had anything to drink other than Diet Coke. It isn't like I was coming from a bar. It was embarrassing to see people slow down and look as he makes me follow his pen all over without moving my head.

4. He didn't issue a ticket, and I don't remember his name. Should I bother complaining about this situation?

I just feel like I was being bullied for no reason. He didn't appear to be much older than I was, and he was treating me like I was some kind of teenager up to no good. I have a nice car, was dressed up since we were out to dinner, and feel like I went out of my way to appease him. I don't want to be tased or anything, but should I have stood up for myself some more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Thanks for the responses. I imagine he had a holiday weekend quota, and for some reason thought I would make an easy target or something.

Hope I don't seem naive, but I had no idea cops could just question you about what you ate for dinner, who was in your car, where specifically you had been, where specifically you were driving to, how long you spent at the steakhouse, and things that hardly seem relevant to a) if I ran a red light or b) if I was drunk. It felt overly invasive considering the circumstance. It was 9 PM, not 3 AM. Seems to me that when he asked if I had anything to drink, and I answered "only Diet Coke" that would have settled that whole line of questioning.

I also thought they would have to have a valid reason for a sobriety test like smelling it on my breath, my speech being slurred, erratic driving, or something like that. I know I have deserved a ticket before and there just wasn't anyone around to catch me, but I have never been behind the wheel of a car while drunk.

I guess if I had been a dick about his questions and his FSB he could have issued the ticket anyway (even though he was wrong) and then I would have been forced to deal with him in court.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He accosted me! A white male in a polo shirt driving a Lexus! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!

This made me laugh a lot, because that is exactly the indignation I felt. Except I have a Mazda, and I was wearing a blue polo.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

JasonV posted:

I'd have to assume that the other questions are him tryign to find out if you're telling the truth about only drinking Diet Coke. He's looking for slurring, not focusing, confusion or other things that would be a sign that you've been drinking. He needs to keep you talking for a few minutes to figure that out, and couldn't care less about your answers.

Then I wish he would have said "Hey, it is a holiday weekend, you have a carload of people, just want to make sure you are being safe. Would you mind if I gave you a field sobriety test?" Would have saved me five minutes of my life, and gotten him back on the road to track down someone who had actually had too much to drink. I grew up in a college town. I have been through many sobriety checkpoints, and have never been questioned to this degree.

What sign could he have possibly have discovered that made him do the FSB after the five minutes of questioning? I answered every question honestly, quickly, and didn't show any of the signs you mentioned.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

baquerd posted:

Your face, he didn't like it.

Thank you for that insight.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
How common is it for a resort to make you pay for half of the stay at the time of the reservation, and the other half 14 days before your stay?

A friend is having a destination wedding, and I called the recommended resort that they got a discount at, and the guy let me know they were charging my card today for half of the stay. I asked him about it, and he acted like it was completely normal.

I stay in hotels 2-3 times per year, and have never had to prepay for a stay.

Just found it odd.

The resort is in Aspen, Colorado.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Did some more research on this via Google, and found a lot of people complaining about this resort and others owned by the same company pre-charging for stays.

The $50 per night "discount" I get on the room means I prepay for the stay prior to my visit, and it is non-refundable if I cancel. That wasn't explained to me at all by the person I spoke to. I thought the discount was because a large group of people were going to be staying there for a wedding, not because I was agreeing to a non-refundable prepay rate.

Seems shady to me. I have stayed at other hotels/resorts for weddings and even with a discount never had to prepay.

It isn't that big of a deal, but it still seems very odd.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: Beans are fruit.

I thought everyone learned that in elementary school:

Beans beans the musical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So let's eat beans for every meal

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
What are the little rubber mats for in urinals?

I thought they were to prevent splashing, but they seem to cause more splashing. I hate them. Dudes just stand back further from the urinal and just get piss all over the floor. My only other thought is that they are there to prevent people from trying to flush gum or cigarette butts.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Avocados posted:

I'm having a strangely hard time with this, but anyone know where I can find a decent 3.5mm audio cable on the cheap? I need a foot at most, just so I can plug my phone into my car. Locally everyone here loves charging an upwards of 10$, and I feel like I can get them extremely cheap. The dollar cables on amazon are offset by 5$ shipping which Prime wont cover. I know a possible answer is "cough up the 10$ and go without fast food for a day" but it's hard paying that much for a foot cable.

Monoprice is what I would recommend.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

the posted:

Why don't any of the Indian people I work with wear deoderant?

Indian from India, or Native American?

I work with quite a few Indians from India, and I haven't ever smelled anything offensive. If anything, the opposite is true. Most of the Indian engineers I work with wear a lot of cologne.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

What is this thing people have about their name and address? Anyone can get that right out of the phone book, it's not secret information.

You can opt out of being in the print and online version of the phone book.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Gravity Pike posted:

I've got a UPS package that was supposed to be delivered on Thursday. Apparently, the delivery person couldn't get into my apartment, because I've gotten two "Tried and Failed" sticky notes. It looks like UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday - does this mean that the package is sitting in a warehouse somewhere that I could go and pick it up today or tomorrow? I kind of don't want to have to stay home from work on Monday, waiting for a delivery that looks like it won't be coming until 2:30 PM.

You can call and give them the tracking number and they can tell you that. Or they can have it sent to a UPS Store where you can pick it up at your convenience.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

Neither had I, until my wife and I moved in together. Last week I tried washing her travel mugs in the sink that day, rather than putting them in the dishwasher to sit a couple days. The smell seemed to go down quite a bit. Now there are two mugs from the weekend that I put in the dishwasher, and it's stinky again.

I would look at the mug. Most thermal travel mugs aren't going to be dishwasher safe.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Ideally your land lord will be painting and having the carpets professionally cleaned before you move in which should take care of most of the smell. You can also try leaving a small dish of vinegar to sit out over night. The idea is that the vinegar somehow absorbs the smell, I have no idea how or why this works but I swear it does.

Most apartment complexes will also have or be able to get an ozone generator. It is also something you could rent yourself.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Hummingbirds posted:

Does anyone have a nice, medium/high-resolution image of the SomethingAwful grenade? Someone on my dorm floor made nametags with the little reddit dude on them and put them on all our doors. I'd like to cover the stupid reddit logo on mine with a grenade. Google is super unhelpful here. tia

This?

http://blog.bruteprop.co.uk/?p=146

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Baron Bifford posted:

My radiator has gather a huge quantity of cobwebs, and it's actually stinking up my apartment. I can't stick my vaccuum cleaner behind it (it's a double-panel with two rows of convector fins). Are there any trick for this?

Use something like a compressed gas duster (canned air) to blow it all out? Same thing you would clean your computer out with.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Golbez posted:

They're adding a disclaimer notice to emails we send to external server that includes, "Dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited." On what basis is this legally binding? It can't be like "You will be fired if you do this" since by design, internal users won't see it. Is it just legalese to cover our asses without any actual teeth behind it?

It isn't binding at all.

...they are mostly, legally speaking, pointless. Lawyers and experts on internet policy say no court case has ever turned on the presence or absence of such an automatic e-mail footer in America, the most litigious of rich countries.

Liebfraumilch posted:

I tried to replicate it by doing the exact same search and pulling up the exact same page as I did before to no avail. Nothing turns up on the Amazon Recent History, I've had AdBlock on the whole time, and the only two things I touched for the search were Google and Wikipedia.

It is AdBlock, not cookie block. What you need to do is to use something like the Firefox extension Ghostery or something similar to prevent websites from storing tracking cookies and other stuff on your computer.

Sieg fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 7, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

Or not, because it's completely harmless and sometimes you learn about things taht you want to buy.

Some people are more comfortable with invasions of their privacy than others. It seems more people find it to be intrusive since Chrome, Firefox, and IE all have options to tell websites you do not want to be tracked. The EU is going to require that websites have to ask your permission before storing most cookies on your computer. The UK has already implemented this.

Then you start getting into web beacons, and things start to feel less harmless.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

ElwoodCuse posted:

To put a little more distance between themselves and the fans and make it a little easier to be heard

This article explains it pretty well: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/sports/ncaabasketball/24timeouts.html?_r=0

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Grundulum posted:

For a question of my own, are there more people on the road these days who leave their hi-beams on all the time?

Halogen headlights are being replaced by HID headlights, and today's halogens are also more efficient and produce more light and less heat than they used to. That might be a small part of it.

What you are probably being bothered by is people running HID headlights without proper projectors. They just replace their halogen bulb with a HID one in the stock housing. Since it wasn't meant for that and they aren't properly focusing/projecting the beam, it just throws a bunch of light all over in front of them.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Grundulum posted:

From a quick read-up on Wikipedia, HIDs have a different, bluer, color than tradition halogens. What I'm noticing isn't electric blue, but instead more light of the plain white variety.

There is a spectrum.

Google "HID color chart" or just look at this: http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/colour-chart.php

I can almost guarantee you that what you are seeing is people running HID headlights in a housing that was designed for halogen headlights. Since they are much brighter than the standard headlight, you really need to properly project them with 'projectors'. Most people don't bother replacing the housings because that is expensive.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Golbez posted:

Is there any procedure at all for getting someone else's Gmail address? On the off chance it's been abandoned and unused for years? In 2004 I had to append a '1' to my preferred address and it would be awesome if I could somehow usurp theirs. Not if it's being used, of course, I just wondered if they had anything in place at all.

Email them and ask them if they want to sell their email address?

Google doesn't release account names. Ever.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66278

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

razz posted:

Is it legal to use someone else's credit card? My mom gives me hers to use sometimes when I run to the store for her or whatever. Does having permission make it legal (if it is illegal)? I've also gotten pre-signed checks from her; she just signs it and I fill in the rest at the checkout. Legal?

Also, is it legal to use someone else's debit card? Obviously you would have to give them the PIN number. I let my fiance use mine and I know his PIN. What about the legalities of that?

I don't think any of these things are legal and are probably against the terms and conditions of the card as well, but IANAL.

I would check with the Legal thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Install Gentoo posted:

I really don't know where he got the idea that it's illegal from, my own bank even has it down as allowable in their terms of service.

The illegal thing is to use it without the person's permission.

I said "I don't think" and "IANAL". I also provided a link to the legal questions thread. Googling this leads to mixed results. Some people say it is legally grey, some people say it is fine with written permission, and some people say it is illegal.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

User-Friendly posted:

Is there any way to force Google to use a certain spelling in a search? Searching for all the info about a person with an unusually spelled name, "Johnn Smith" for example, brings up results for "John," "Jon," "Johnny," etc. with them all bolded as if they were search terms. I can see how that would be useful in other cases, but I know I only want results with the way I spelled it. Can I get it to JUST find my spelling?

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Baron Bifford posted:

What is the opposite of "debt", ie what is it that you have when somebody owes you money?

Credit?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Credit is when you have access to money you can borrow, i.e. potential debt. A creditor is someone to whom money is owed. That money is still called a debt, I think, except it's owed to you instead of you owing it.

I wasn't thinking about it that deeply. The opposite of debt is credit. Looking at a thesaurus that is one of the antonyms anyway.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'm writing a speech for a public speech class about how sports bring people together and I'm looking for one more example. So far I've got the World War I Christmas truce where the soldiers played football and the Mandela rugby/Invictus thing. Can anybody think of another example? Anything movie-related is fine.

What about that thing from the news? Where the Down syndrome team manager got put in the game and an opposing team member passed him the ball so he could make a basket? Not quite on the scale of your other examples, but everyone likes a feel good story.

If that doesn't work there is always Rodman going to N Korea.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Wait so I'm not supposed to thaw meat on the counter? If I remember I typically take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge 24-36 hours before I want to cook it. If I don't remember, I will put it on the counter 4-5 hours before I want to cook it.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

razz posted:

Maybe I'm dumb as hell, but I've had my 2009 Ford Focus for about 2.5 years and I cannot for the life of me figure out where (or if?) there is a button or lever inside the car to pop the trunk. I've looked everywhere and read the manual. Literally the only way to open the trunk is with the key fob.

Am I crazy?

Some of the 2009s have an interior trunk release. It is on my wife's Focus below the headlight switch. It is a button with the picture of an open trunk on it. If your build date is before January 2009, you aren't going to have it.

You can also use the actual key to open the trunk...

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm shipping a bunch of clothes and shoes home from college and need to know the cheapest way to do it. I know very little about shipping. Am I better off separating the clothes and shoes for weight purposes or will it not make a difference? Do I use a few big boxes or a lot of small ones?

I'd do standard mail.

https://www.usps.com/ship/standard-post.htm

There is a downloadable price sheet there as well.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, if there was an actual way to do away with the annoyance of mosquitoes (other than walking around in a mosquito net all day and night) the world would be a five hundred times better place.

It's always the ankles for me, I think they get me while I am at my desk (like I am now) and can't see what they are up to down there. My apartment has a million little holes everywhere that mosquitoes and other bugs can get through.

Start burning citronella candles in your house or caulk the holes.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My car doesn't have in-line audio input, and no cassette player. What's a good way to have decent-quality audio playing from my iPod? I've tried an FM transmitter, but it had horrible quality. I've looked for a way to use the CD player but haven't found anything.

I have no clue what you are expecting to do with the CD player, but there are companies that make kits for existing factory stereos: http://www.gtacarkits.com/

Or you can just go buy a $100 aftermarket stereo with an aux in.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Can foxes be kept as domestic pets? I think genetically they aren't far from some animals that are commonly kept as pets, and the idea isn't unheard of; they are incredible animals. Is it possible, or are they too wild?

Plenty of people have fennec foxes as pets. Tons of videos on YouTube on this if you are interested.

Turtlicious posted:

No they're hyperactive monsters that will destroy your home, cause you to get criminal charges (since it's illegal in most places to have as a pet,) and will always slip it's leash, you have to build the animal equivalent of Fort Nox to keep it, and the current Rabies Vaccines aren't tested for Foxes, so if it bites someone it has to be euthanized. On top of that most Vets won't take care of a Fox even in emergencies.

I'm not an expert in this, but I think it is more likely to be legal than you think. For example, in my state all breeds of foxes are legal to keep as a pet. No permit required. This is just based on my limited googling of the subject a couple of weeks ago when I saw a fennec fox video on Reddit.

Sieg fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 17, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
You could always do a thread in SA Mart. Offer a 3-5% discount or something.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So I go to a restaurant and ask for a coke. The server asks me if pepsi's ok? I say sure, because it doesn't make a big difference to me. Cola is cola as far as I'm concerned, and I don't have any particular brand loyalty to either. But it makes me wonder, does anyone care about this sort of thing? Have any goons been upset, or witnessed someone being upset when their soft drink of choice isn't available?

A coworker of mine makes a huge deal of being 'forced' to order water/tea if the restaurant serves Pepsi. Gives the waitstaff grief about it. I actively try to avoid going out in a group with this person because of their Coke theatrics.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

CzarChasm posted:

Raw Jalapenos are not uncommon in fresh salsa, chopped and put on top of any number of other applications, like salads, sandwiches, nachos, etc.

However, if your Quicktrip is anything like the Kwik Trip marts here (quick Google shows there is a difference), you are eating gas station food. And as such, you are subject to gas station levels of freshness and quality when it comes to produce.

I won't argue that they aren't harder or crunchier than pickled, but you probably aren't getting a quality pepper there. I prefer pickled myself, but raw have their place.

If QT's television/radio ads and website are trustworthy, these items are freshly delivered to each store daily. I know in the KC metro area they have a big "QT Kitchen" warehouse/bakery that serves the area. As far as gas station food goes, it is a couple of notches above the typical fare IMO. I haven't checked out the nachos though.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

tarepanda posted:

That should have been your first step. Take your dog over (everyone loving loves dogs), maybe a male friend, introduce yourself, say that the fireworks really wind up your dog and make it impossible for either of you to sleep and you'd appreciate it if they could tone it down a bit.

Calling the cops right off the bat would make you more of "the enemy" than talking to them like human beings.

She's already called the cops, if she does that they will know for sure it was her.

You'll either have to keep calling the cops, or just wait it out two more weeks. Fireworks stands will go away, and their supply will run out.

Get a big fan/air purifier/white noise generator.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Koivunen posted:

Thanks for the "Neighbors" suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. I have Wed and Thu off so we'll see if they shoot any off then.

Yes they will. You are going to have to tough it out while fireworks stands are open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
They are System Labels. Just go to Settings->Labels and turn them off. I noticed them a couple of weeks ago. Not sure when they were added.