Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Hyperlynx posted:

Where would I go, on these great forums of ours, for game recommendations?

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

Spec ops: the line is a game that a lot of people are going to recommend, and now that I'm looking it up, I can't believe that it's almost 11 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
And add to that the visual hierarchy of faces on posters.
That's why you end up with actors faces underneath the wrong names on posters that have them side by side.

Are 'and introducing ...' credits a big thing anymore?
One example I can think of is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, who ended their feature credits with Ke Huy Quan, who was a completely unknown kid at the time

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Qubee posted:

the Middle East is stupid

I think this is a very weird conclusion to draw from this. The guy who did it is obviously smarter than you since he both saw the nature of the scratch, and what you'd pay.
But then again, not that smart, since he didn't have the good sense to tell you to come back in half an our.
In Europe or North America, they would have done the 'repair' out of sight. And charged A LOT more for it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm still waiting for them to release gigapedes before I upgrade.

E: wait, hang on a sec, how come it's not "megapede" anyway? I thought "milli" was "thousandth", not "thousand". So they should have one extremely small leg, right?

If they weren't going to bother counting the the legs, they sure as hell weren't going to get all the Greek and Latin poo poo correct either

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

DildenAnders posted:

What if I don't like my current body chemistry?

Yes, much better to make sure the only body chemistry going on is your body decaying underground

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
To continue the sub line of questioning: How helpful would it be to kill the other four people in a stuck sub with a capacity of five? Would you really survive five times as long? It feels like maybe you wouldn't because of the way the air mixture works.

That all is ignoring the extra breathing caused by the struggle of bludgeoning someone to death with a bluetooth controller

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

pages back but I am deeply involved in alternative transit, have travelled around many cities all over the world and have never in my life seen a placebo beg button. Much easier to imagine people are just dumb as poo poo and don't understand the light cycles

In some places in Amsterdam (and I guess probably the rest of the Netherlands too), the button activates the ticking signal for blind people (ticks or beeps more rapidly when it's green) but it doesn't actually signal demand.
So still not a true placebo button even if it has no bearing on the light cycle

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Trapick posted:

Yah Canada is *just now* moving to ban imports of ivory, it's in a 30 day consultation at the moment - https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2023/2023-06-24/html/reg3-eng.html - and even then I think it still allows for domestic sales. So depending where you are it might be no big deal.

Only 33 years after the international ban came into effect!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Trapick posted:

I always rinse pop bottles and cans after drinking them, because I don't want them to get moldy or attract ants or wherever while they wait in the recycling bin. But I just realized, I drink mostly diet/sugar-free pop, do I need to do that? There's no calories in there for the ants, would they just leave it alone?

How are the ants supposed to know that there are no calories? The drinks smell sweet all the same. It might be that they're sensitive enough to tell the difference between sugar and some artificial sweeteners, but in combination with other ingredients, I think they're still going to be attracted.

In fact, attracting insects to drinks without any calories may be a great way to exhaust them or maybe even kill them. They do all the work of getting there and drinking, and there's no reward.

I've got a question of my own too:

My phone battery lasts much longer when I charge it using my laptop charger (likely a 45w charger, but the brick is underneath my bed so I'm not going to check) than when I charge it using a wireless charger.

Is what I'm seeing a software thing with the charging being limited or something, or is it really in the hardware of the battery?

Phone is a Pixel 5 if it matters

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

The heck is a snipe, and why are some good or bad? Do some top-of-page posts not have enough stuff in them to continue discussion or something?

They are neither good nor bad. On some other forums, people sincerely celebrate getting the top post. I imagine that was done here too, once upon a time, but now it's only something that's done ironically to bring back that memory or the practice on other forums. It's a bit of the serious/unserious thing going on here. Like, you can post seriously, but don't let anyone see that you're taking it seriously because you can't have people thinking that you actually care.

A low content post that opens a new page sometimes feels bad because it makes it harder to see for new page visitors that the discussion was about

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Alan Smithee posted:

any way to get to a larger version?

Other browsers (notably on ios retina devices) use bigger versions, so you can try using one of those and fishing the favicon out of your temporary internet files.
That is, if the website owner has set up the site to serve the best possible quality favicon. This is somewhat standard now. For example, most favicon generators will give you a set of different dimensions, rather than just the one favicon

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tree Bucket posted:

Are there any good stories that end with "and it was all a dream"?

Inception.

Or was it? :iiam:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

obi_ant posted:

What is the point of companies not allowing price adjustments online? I purchased a couple of glasses two days ago and they went and they went on sale today. I emailed about getting a price adjustment and they said they wouldn’t be able to do it. So I would have to place and new order and return the original one.

Seems like a real waste of time and resources. From their returns team, customer service team and their shipping team. Not to mention all that stupid shipping back and forth.

It might be that whoever processes their payments isn't set up for partial refunds. So if they'd refund part of what you paid, you'd still be able to claim a full refund from your card issuer for something else.
This really shouldn't be a thing anymore, but still occurs sometimes.

Or their own software may not have ways to do partial refunds at all

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Is there a smart watch/fitness tracker thread? Or separate threads for those two?

The most recent Fitbit app upgrade made me hate their new interface so much that I'm seriously thinking about getting something else

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BonHair posted:

Actually, millennial just means those drat kids with their skateboards and TikToks and whatever

millennial means young people you hate just like boomer means old people you hate and yes, there can be overlap

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

abelwingnut posted:

i was always told accurate is a highly effective drug with highly volatile side effects. so much so that it was a real danger to take.

how true is this? people still take it and it hasn’t been banned so i imagine the negativity around it is somewhat manufactured. why, i don’t know.

Assuming you did mean accutane:

From what I understand, the bad side effect mainly have to do with menstruation, pregnancy and fertility in women.
Some doctors still claim that it's also bad for male fertility or can lead to birth defects and miscarriages when used in men who then impregnate women, but I think there was never any proof for that and it sounds far fetched anyway.

There was some debate here in the Netherlanders about fifteen years ago about it being prescribed off label for contraception if girls responded too strongly to the real contraception drugs, but it was just the Christian parties crowing 'off label use of meds is wrong and should be banned' because that was a more palatable message than 'contraception is wrong and you're going to hell.'

If you're thinking about using it, though, consult your doctor before doing anything!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought a case of energy drinks from Amazon and inside were these seed things. Are they seeds? Do I need to be concerned?

It's rice op

More than half the world population eats it on a daily basis

It's in your package because whoever you bought stuff from is either too cheap to buy a box of desiccant packages or too lazy to empty used boxes before using them again

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

credburn posted:

Are anime goons called TLO now? And what does that mean?

I don't engage with anime much anymore and am trying to understand by context :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Get it replaced.
You may get used to not chewing on that side after a while, but it's still not healthy.
It's going to take a while for your gums to close (which you don't want!) and all kind crap will get in there, leading to inflamed gums and who knows what else more

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

butt dickus posted:

my friend has a WRX and has expressed in the past that they want to drive it on a track. i'm pretty sure this is a thing that is possible, how do i get this experience for them?

Google "track day [location]"

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bright Bart posted:

I got contact today. They offered to let me return the goods despite their policy on opened products. They did not agree to refund shipping or pay for shipping it back to them, that's on me.

They also did not agree to change what's on the website. What I bought isn't a shirt, but in my 100% Italian cotton shirts example the argument these guys gave was the equivalent of 'We do make 100% cotton shirts. We get pure cotton, which we then blend with polyester to make our fabrics. And we buy the cotton from Italian wholesalers. It might not have been processed in Italy or even physically been in Italy but it's not a lie to say it's Italian cotton.' I pointed out that while I can't do anything about it, it clearly is intended to be misleading, and these also are terms defined by law and one day they'll get into trouble. And they're not a big enough company to hire the lawyers to get out of it. The person told me they can't make these decisions and has no direct access to people on the level that would. Which is likely true, but frustrating.

All in all I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I want to take a review that could warn others about this for what amounts to less than half of what I paid when you factor in shipping.

Leave the review up. gently caress those guys.
If I were shopping for things I'd be very happy to find a review like yours that highlights their lies

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

dokmo posted:

Do asians object to the use of the word oriental?

A lot of them do, but there will be regional and individual differences.

The ones who care about what you call them usually will object

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bright Bart posted:

I have zero doubts there's a Department of Oriental Studies.

University of London School of Oriental and African Studies is a world leading name in non western regional studies.
And the name is still that

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

dokmo posted:

I received a message from an acquaintance who wrote "blah blah blah... and walla, it's done!" Is this is likely to be an ironic misspelling? Or can I make fun of her for not knowing voila?

It's common enough, but likely not mean to be ironic. I think it's usually because people have only ever heard it and aren't aware of the word being French originally

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Mine showed Finnish text yesterday.
Good to see that I'm not the only one seeing weird text

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Part of it is the growth of leasing as a model. Those cars need to be resold quickly after three years, so you can only get them in the most boring colors that will sell easily

So that accounts for all the colors of leased cars, as well as the cars that were previously leased

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Fruits of the sea posted:

Strongly recommend bookmarking your ‘subscriptions’ page and never visiting YouTube’s front page.

We all browse the forums this way, so why is this not the default way to do literally everything else for everyone?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

two fish posted:

UN peacekeepers aren't able to fire at anyone, right? So why are they deployed places? What's their function?

Their function is to act as a barrier. Be between the warring parties to say 'if you want to go and genocide your neighbors, you'll first have to murder 200 innocent soldiers from Jordan/Argentina/Canada/wherever' and that kind of works well enough in a lot of cases

Edit: This emphatically didn't work in Bosnia, because the Serbs didn't give a poo poo about taking British soldiers hostage and in another instance Dutch light infantry were outgunned so badly that they had to look on as the Serbs took hundreds of Bosnian men away to be exterminated

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 4, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

bee posted:

When I was at university, I remember my biology professor talking about someone a hundred or so years ago (quite possibly a nurse) using circles or big dots to visually represent a data set. Possibly the data set had something to do with the spread of disease or something healthcare related, but it was the way they used the graphics to show the data that really got people's attention at the time. Basically it was a story about how you can get people to take data seriously if you present it in a particular way.

Does anyone know who or what I am talking about? Sorry this is so vague but it's really annoying me that I can't remember the details :(

It's probably Florence Nightingale, who some people say "invented infographics" to show that the health outcomes of the Crimean war were even worse than the battlefields

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Earwicker posted:

"the artist is dead" is not a universally true philosophy, it's one point of view.

Easy to say, given that Barthes is dead

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Slimy Hog posted:

This conversation is dumb.

Why are snakes in both Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle book portrayed as being able to hypnotize?

Half of Robin Hood's animation is from other movies, so they kind of had to have the snake do the same thing it did in Jungle Book to be able to reuse those bits

So the question should really be why the snake does it in Jungle Book.
It does it in Robin Hood because it does it in Jungle Book

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Earwicker posted:

is that related to some of the animations/characters from Robin Hood showing up completely out of context as a hallucination in 9 to 5? ive always wondered about that

The Dolly Parton thing? Or something else?

I have no idea. I just know that you can find a million examples of sequences from Jungle Book and Aristocats dressed up for reuse in Robin Hood

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

two fish posted:

What's up with all these spam pages on Facebook where there's a whole bunch of presumably fake accounts going "amen" to AI-generated images?

It's very specific and I don't understand what the intended business model is, if they're somehow making money off it.

They will start sending people to a page full of ads or dropshipped crap once they have enough followers.

And they won't do that by posting a link to their timeline. They'll post a picture, with the link in the first (pinned) reply, because FB prioritizes image posts an deprioritizes link posts

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Do we have a frequent flyer (program) thread, or is that just the business travel thread in bfc?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

alnilam posted:

I vaguely remember something from a story, probably a fantasy or medieval-ish one, where a messenger delivers a sealed letter to a nobleman or whatever and it says "please kill the bearer of this letter" because to the guy who wrote the message, the messenger guy has become a problem somehow.

I can't remember much else, can't even remember if I read it or watched it, and I'm sure it's happened in more than one story, but is there a big obvious one?

Road to Perdition did this, I think, with Tom Hanks delivering the 'Kill Tom Hanks' message

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I think bans are the only real solution, since there's really little room to tax the desirability out of tobacco.

Research has shown that smokers (at least those who can afford it) are willing to pay even $60 for a pack if taxes are raised that far.

And the "anyone born after 200x can't buy tobacco" model is actually fairly generous if you compare it to what happens when other things get put on the list of illegal substances (or alcohol during prohibition). At least the old people who are super addicted still get to buy cigarettes.
I recognize that this is also politics: Only people who can't vote yet get their cigarettes taken away from them, so no one is going to vote against the govt over this ban. But I hope it works! And that the tories get voted out of office for all of their other crimes

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
In actual practice he'd likely use Windsor or Sussex, just for administrative reasons.

Or who knows maybe he managed to get a passport with his mom's last name on it and he goes by Spencer.

The UK passport office will have guidelines for this and because any govt ID he gets in the US will be based on the information in his British document, that's where his name will come from

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Arbite posted:

I recall him being called Lieutenant Wales in some news report way back.

Anyway, the Lebron/Tyson tattoo copyright lawsuit got me thinking, obviously an architect can copyright a design for construction, but does the group who built the Burj Khalifa or Steinway Tower get paid if their building is clearly in a film or rendered in a game?

Depends on the jurisdiction. Panorama rights (that's the term you'll want to google for) is a mess.

And it's likely to get worse!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Earwicker posted:

the idea that crystals have magical powers is silly and bullshit but it's not a "conspiracy theory" per se because the belief, in and of itself, doesn't involve a conspiracy.

There is a "wellness to qanon" pipeline, though.

From yoga and crystals (so especially the more ~spiritual~ side of the wellness spectrum) to rightwing conspiracies.

Strikingly, there is no leftwing equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

credburn posted:

Is there a way to find out if I'm on anyone's ignore list? And, if I am, how many?

I worry for the sake of these forums that I am.

You know that people will put you on ignore just for this post, right?