Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Doesn't every anime turn into Dragonball Z in the last quarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

quote:

Enchanted Arms, known in Japan as [eM] -eNCHANT arM- (エム エンチャント・アーム Emu Enchanto Āmu?), is a science fiction/fantasy-based role-playing video game developed and published by From Software
From Software? Wait, what?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I find Enchanted Arms more bewildering than Metal Gear Chaos. Edit:I'm not even going to edit that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

poo poo
I bought Valkeria Chronicles if only because I really like JRPG's coming to PC....but neptunias pushing it.

Buy it as a gift. It's a gift you swear.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Leper Residue posted:

I started playing it a few months ago and around 6-8 hour mark I just stopped and started reading Dark_Ids LP of it. Glad I did cause I don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much as I did the lp.

Dark Id's Let's Plays are like the only funny LPs where the jokes are good enough to be remembered separate from "man this game is so bad". I still remember stuff like that dolphin speech.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

he's actually not very funny

You can't make decisions for me dad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

HGH posted:

I remember this picture of every protagonist from every single Tales games and it was comparing how practical their outfits were.
Using a belt-o-meter.

Tales of the Abyss is really weird in this because generally the outfits are relatively simple and you can see how a person would be able to put them on...except for the main character.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I know nothing about Xenoblade outside of Smash Bros does it have a prepubescent girl in a stripper outfit?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The underaged part is the most important though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gyshall posted:

Let me guess, he's a gay Quniari with a speech impediment?

Dude what the hell.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

she was in an event in ff14

but i mean, that game is full of references too. you get magitek armor for pete's sake.

Also you can cosplay as Snow, so I think it's balanced.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Paperhouse posted:

what was the thing everyone said not to do in Valkyria Chronicles because I'm playing it now and I want to not do stuff

Ignore the ranking system? That's what I remember everyone complaining about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's so minor compared to everything else but the thing that really gets me about Wild Arms 2 is the stupid font. I always remember it as being spooky Halloween font.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yume Nikki isn't really an RPG, it's a weird outsider art game where you wander around almost totally empty looping areas and pick up items that turn you into inexplicable things. It's a fairly big game and it has an insanely powerful atmosphere, but it's not the sort of thing you'd really play for fun.

Is Yume Nikki a proto-walking simulator? I never thought about it that way, but now that you mentioned it...huh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
How long are Wild Arms 4 and 5? I'm inclined to pass on them because the stuff I heard is discouraging to me (apparently running screaming from the already loose western theme, having a less favorable reception in general) but if they're not enormously long I might play them anyway out of completionism.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Zereth posted:

Beats the .Hack solution of making one game and stretching it over four, full-price releases! :v:

But yeah play WA3. It's the only game which really delivers on the western theme that was kinda rubbed gently on the first game.

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms was heavily influenced by Trigun, which was a sci-fi/western mix.

3 is the only game that really handles that blend well, though. 1 and 2 just sort of have the western stuff as a coat of paint, and 4 and 5 basically strip it out entirely.

Hey at least it's in the soundtrack!

...It's still in the soundtrack for 4 and 5, is it? :(

One last question, 4 is the RPG where one character's dramatic sacrifice is jumping and punching a missile, right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
They're all Jojo knockoffs anyway.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cake Attack posted:

Is WoT the one with like an evil chicken?

what am i thinking of here?

That's Sword of Truth.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nate RFB posted:

What is with his boots? I'm guessing they're actually shinguards but they make him look like a character model from Fire Emblem Awakening.

Goddamn it, now I can't unsee it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

hubris.height posted:

but your so squishy cute

What?

Codiekitty posted:

Ah, NIER. I still remember popping the disc into the drive and being flabberghasted at what followed (that link might be NSFW).

Would have been my benchmark for great video game writing if it hadn't poo poo itself inside out at the final dungeon.

I've always been shocked at the voice acting of Nier. It's honestly some of the best I've heard and it's the dub of an obscure JRPG of all things. I wonder who was the director or what company they used.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Are you thinking of another character? One who didn't fall in love with you because you complimented her and gave her a shiny thing?

I think they meant nice as in goody two shoes, not nice to the character. It's true that the gift system is weird when you think of it, which might be why it's not in Inquisition (or 2, I think?). Kind of a shame since I loved the custom gag gifts.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just going to sit here and pretend like I haven't actually played all of those games.

From everything I've seen it seems even you wish you didn't play Neptunia.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Punch Card posted:

It's great if you just turn your brain off for everything plot-related and avoid thinking about its weird ties to Chrono Trigger. Just enjoy the fairly cool element system and most importantly, the pretty colors and awesome music.

If they changed just a few names and plot elements to make it in its own universe it would have been received a million times better by people who were rightfully, if way overly, disappointed that it's not Chrono Trigger 2 at all.

The really weird thing about the writing is that it isn't a case where an originally unrelated game got shoehorned into be a sequel or anything, they clearly really really wanted Cross to be seen as a sequel to Trigger. (Didn't even an advertisement to the DS Trigger call it "the predecessor to Chrono Cross!")

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
What's so bad about the PS2 version of Grandia II? Does it have horrible load times between every screen or something like that?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cake Attack posted:

it's a well known historical fact that nobody ever made jokes between 1939-1945

Russian humor is really dark.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

NikkolasKing posted:

It is true the people who recommended NWN2 elsewhere specified that I needed to get the Expansions since MOTB is apparently what makes the game so great. Which is odd to me that an expansion would be the highlight of a game but I'm not used to PC gaming in general so maybe that's not that uncommon.

The same thing is said for Shadowrun Returns/Shadowrun Dragon fall too. If anything it's becoming more common due to the concept of standalone dlc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Look up how to unlock Lilka's upgraded spells, because iirc it's kinda obscure and they really, really help (especially if you don't want to use The Most Annoying Character).

Also, yeah, prepare for some translation fun. Just accept that sometimes things don't make any sense. The experience is a bit like having a weird dream!

Isn't there at least one puzzle that you have to look up a guide because of the translation? (I know the Roman god one was bungled, but is there anything else?)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor Goat posted:

I am playing an obscure rear end ancient rpg

Does anyone have a program i can use to piece together maps from screenshots? it's laid out like exile and i'm trying to find hidden stuff but the reveal secret door spell is like, max level, and you can't just push against a wall once. it's random as to whether you find it. so running around wallhumping like the Doom guy is right out

There was a mapping program used in this Wizardry 6 Let's Play (I think it costs 5 bucks though). http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Codiekitty posted:

I haven't played it, but 3 gets my vote for worst game title ever.

Literally, as in Qoga?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tae posted:

I like 8-4 because some of their localization changes have been pretty cool and I like their selection of VA's for the talk-heavy games like Revengance and Nier.

Yeah 8-4's dubs are incredible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if the Goon opinion of Working Designs soured in large part due to its influence on all of these terrible indie RPGs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Codiekitty posted:

The 3DS isn't region free? Huh, didn't know that before.

And now you know why people were so pissed at SMT IV's EU release being delayed again and again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

A Steampunk Gent posted:

... it's still a big improvement over the PS1 era!

Couldn't you at least import PS1 games? (Unlike the 3DS.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The White Dragon posted:

I say it every time the fifth game in the series comes up, but it just never really appealed to me. It's a bunch of small subjective things I didn't like added together that made it an unenjoyable experience for me. I think the biggest issue I had with it (barring load times or bugginess/deliberate design decisions about making the player unable to recruit characters due to story flags) is that about a quarter of the soundtrack is actually really good, but I found the rest of it to be pretty much unlistenable. Every single town theme is like, ugh.

Why is the worst RPG music always the town/market themes?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think people misunderstand, I didn't say town/market themes are the worst rpg songs, the worst rpg songs are town themes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

U-DO Burger posted:

I really think Serge shouldn't have been silent. I simple "I'm gonna break into Viper Manor because [reasons this matters to Serge]" would have gone a long way towards making the player feel like the game has some direction to it.

It would have been hilarious to see Serge trying to justify leaving Kid to die so he can recruit the best party member.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tae posted:

We're talking about the situation if it ever is sold officially, which is still a big deal because rom hack translation players are probably a tiny blip even among internet fans.

Also would solve the issue of who the gently caress Lucas is as he would officially have a game in the US, like Marth eventually did.

Not an issue anymore. Lucas isn't in Smash 4. :unsmigghh:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

Some of my favorite "what were they thinking" ESRB ratings.

Snatcher

Rated T for animated blood and gore/animated violence.

Aaand Riviera(:nws:)

Rated T for Mild Fantasy Violence, Sexual Themes, Partial Nudity, Use of Drugs(???)

Seriously, the ESRB is a joke. It's just like the American PG-13 rating, everything goes except actual nipples and you get one "gently caress." Even then, you can get away with nudity if you frame it as being tasteful.

Wasn't the hot springs image specifically removed in the localized version?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't really seen any rpg that was ripping off/emulating Bioware, except for maybe minor things like the dialogue timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Point. I'd have just expected to at least have heard rumblings of a fan translation, since WA seems to have a pretty strong cult following. Granted, most projects I've seen where they already have a translation have been FF games, and the only PSX one out of those is VII. Even that's for the PC version (and pretty crap).

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with that fan translation? I've never really heard anything about it.

Watching the Final Fantasy 7 LP really reminds you how terrible the official translation for 7 is. I think my favorite is translating Lifestream as Life's Dream for one conversation, despite translating it as the former for the entire game.