Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

One of my first Final Fantasy memories is the opening of FFVI with the panorama of the Imperial City; that and FFVII's Midgar really left an impression on me. I think that those two cities were some of the coolest creations in video games, and it was a shame that the player didn't get to explore them more, imo. So I'm hoping someone can maybe point out a game that I've missed that has that kind of setting that you get to explore at some point. But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

Earthbound and Mother 3 for sure. It's hard to come up with a setting more outside standard fantasy fare than those. I won't go into detail because you probably just forgot to mention them.

Also Charles Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is set in post apocalyptic New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

You know I almost felt bad playing Barkley that I wasn't more interested in basket ball. I feel like I'm missing a lot of the jokes. I remember that Barkley uses the line "Hey I'm no role model" quite a few times in the game. Is that a reference to something he said in an interview?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vh2MwXZ6o

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Bats posted:

Yeah I totally need to go back and actually beat FFIX. FFVIII can go gently caress itself, and well FFVII was my first rpg/favourite ps1 rpg ever ever etc. Also loved the poo poo out of Brave Fencer Musashiden.

Any other recommends on that system? Stuff I may have missed that were not worth missing?

Xenogears goes without saying, as it's probably the best example of a story heavy RPG that is actually good. (Plus it has a soundtrack that rivals CT, CC, and FFT) There's also Suikoden 2. Wild Arms is worth playing but I don't think it aged well. Battle animations are excruciatingly slow and the encounter rate is very high. Story is standard JRPG cliche city too. Yeah, the style has a lot of charm, but I'd try out others before that one.

I don't know if you'd like Dragon Quest 7, as it's an acquired taste, but surprisingly enough when I thought of story centric RPGs, DQ7 is one of the first to come to mind. You go the first 2 hours of the game without even getting into a battle, to give you an idea of just how heavily it's focused on story. There's a little grind at the end though.

And Mother 3 is required playing if you haven't tried it yet.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Xenix posted:

Then it makes total sense. How annoying :(

Xenogears's second disc disappointed me in my first playthrough back in 1998 because I wasn't expecting it. But on subsequent playthroughs, I just tried to think of it as a really long ending and that works. I mean, the game was already 60 hours long. One way of looking at it is maybe it was time to start hurrying things up and skipping a few dungeons.

If you made it to the second CD, I think you have to be playing it mostly for the story at that point. And the second CD is where the story undoubtedbly peaks. As long as you know what awaits you on that disc, it is kind of nice to be able to enjoy the story without interruptions. I've actually grown to like the lack of gameplay, and I'm not sure the game would have been better given any more time. The two dungeons are probably the weakest most unenjoyable parts of the CD. They just got in the way of the brilliance of the storytelling. (Well I thought it was brilliant when I last played it over a decade ago. Truth be told, I don't remember all that much)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Yeah, I remember those, that's not was talking about. I was mainly talking about the scenes involving Krelian, Sophia, Fei, and Elly. God, I can't even remember what they were. But I remember them being great and emotional.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Behhhhhhh it had a lot of good ideas but I didnt like the game it was packaged up in.

We don't take kindly to you "I didn't like Earthbound" types around here.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

I played it when it was released for the PSX and had the same impression. It's not a bad game, but it certainly didn't pull me in the way it has so many others. The graphics were OK for the time - maybe they were fabulous on the Saturn in '97, but on the PSX in late '99 they were already starting to look dated. Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm in the drastic minority of jRPG players who don't like anime. The music struck me as repetitive; I found it transitioned from 'fitting' to 'grating' fairly quickly. The story... I actually can't remember the story. I remember combat being a lot of fun, though, and that's probably why I remember it as a merely OK game. I can forgive a lot of RPG nonsense and bullshit if the combat is fun (see: FFIX).

This is all true and it's true as well for the first two hours I played of Grandia 2 before quitting. Both games seem to be the very definition of generic RPGs. I mean I guess the battle system is different and fun, but lots of RPGs have fun gameplay and aren't super generic in every other aspect.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Volitaire posted:

I wish I could get into VS. Every once in a while I pick it up again, only to set it back down a few hours later. I can't get over the combat/weapon upgrade system. Just feels really tedious and I suck at the timed combos.

I don't wish I could get into VS. I hate the fact that some of my friends told me to play it and got me to waste 30 hours on it. It's the last time I took a recommendation from them. I was like how could you think I could enjoy a game that's basically just a dungeon crawler with a very tedious weapons system that requires me to constantly sift through stats in order to build and change weapons? Do you think I'm that insane that I would find that fun?

The SA Vagrant Story review summed it up completely. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/vagrant-story-psx.php

"This, the first wretched spawn of Final Fantasy 8's interface, is created by people from the anal-retentive school of RPGing. Not only do you "get" to micromanage every aspect of your weapons and armor, but the drat things actually change on you the more you use them. I remember the days when a sword made of ice beat a creature that was on fire, and shooting a fish with lightning would kill it faster than just hacking at it. Now I have to worry about the weapon's "affinity", and since different weapons have largely different effects on different enemies, I can only assume Square wants me to re-equip every time I fight a new enemy. If they seriously think I'm going to do that then they're as crazy as the critics who gave this piece of poo poo 9's and 10's."

No kidding.

"And then there's the gorgeous weapon system. It's set up so that your weapon gets more powerful the more you use it, and when you get a new weapon it's a complete piece of poo poo. So what happens is you keep your old weapon that you have some experience with and just leave all the new weapons you find in your backpack or your rear end, wherever you're keeping them. This system is taken directly from Secret of Evermore, which was developed by Square of America. When the real Square developers start ripping off the team that was started as a cruel Japanese joke, we're all surely hosed."

And they actually sort of brought this stupid weapon concept for FF13. Every time you get a new weapon, it's garbage compared to the one you had been using.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

The standards for what makes a game a 10 were fairly different in the days of PS1 RPGs, and on top of that, reviewers don't usually get to finish a game, and it's not for a while that the game starts falling apart.

It's not that standards were any different. It's that everything put out by Square back then received excellent reviews, regardless if the game was great or a piece of poo poo. Even Final Fantasy 8 got great reviews. It has a 89% at gamerankings. Which is unbelievable considering from what I've seen over the past 13 years, only 1 out of about every 50 RPG fans seem to like it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

I dunno, I seem to remember Final Fantasy 8 being fairly well received by gamers at the time; I seemed to be the only one that didn't like it amongst the people I knew. Most people online seemed to like it too; I think standards might have been lower, but there was a stupid amount of Square-worship back then that could have been coloring things.

Interestingly enough, the same thing with review inflation of Square games happened in Japan too during the PS1 era. Heinous pieces of poo poo too terrible to even think of bringing overseas like Cyber Org and Another Mind still did pretty well in the reviews.

Well I remember the forums on AOL when the game came out. Threads about the game would get hundreds of responses, all of them with 1 or 2 people defending the game against the entire forum. It seemed to be the same way on every forum I visited.

With Chrono Cross, I don't remember many people at all ever coming to it's support. It's genuinely sad to go back and look at threads right when the game came out. I did that a few years ago when I was replaying it for the sake of curiosity. I felt bad for them all over again. Everyone was so hyped, so convinced it was going to be the best thing ever. At first, no one even wanted to admit there was anything wrong with it. Then slowly within a few days, everyone begrudgingly started to come to the realization that Chrono Cross was a bad game. The disappointment was immense.

I wonder what Japanese gamers thought about Chrono Cross getting a near perfect score in Famitsu. There's no love for CC in Japan. http://gonintendo.com/?p=1241 Here's the top 100 games of all time by Famitsu readers. 90% of them are RPGs but Chrono Cross is no where to be found.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 12, 2011

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I posted a lot on RPGamer back then, and from what I remember, most people on there liked CC. Jeremy Parish posted there and he loved it. I could be wrong though, my memory sucks.

I still find it strange that anybody would call Chrono Cross a bad game. It has flaws, sure, but anybody who thinks it's a bad game is seeing the game in a much different light than I am.

But I hadn't beaten Chrono Trigger when I first played CC. I'm not sure I had even played more than a few hours.

That probably has something to do with it. But the plot is so convoluted, so incomprehensible, so poorly told, I can't understand how anyone could see it as anything but a bad game regardless if they played Chrono Trigger before or not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&pagenumber=110&perpage=40#post382786430
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=129
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=132 Good games just don't do this. They don't have 99% of the plot told to you at the end of the game in text dumps by ghosts.

The fact that the developers decided to spit on Chrono Trigger fans by taking Chrono Trigger - a game that was beloved for being charming, fun, simple, and light hearted with likable characters and an entertaining story involving time travel - and making a sequel to it that is dark, bleak, serious, and complex to an insane degree is just an added bonus.

quote:

e: wow, FFX is #1 on that list of Famitsu readers' favorite games, above FFVII. That's pretty cool; I think FFX is my favorite FF game as well. Also, FFVI is the lowest ranked FF game of FFIII-FFX. I wonder why it's so much more beloved here in the US.

Good question. FF6 is the first RPG that I can recall that really looked impressive in the magazines. The previews of it really looked amazing in Nintendo Power. There were commercials for it on TV. Maybe that might have played a part. I remember that when FF4 was released that RPGs were this super niche thing that it seemed like only I knew or cared about. The only people at my school who knew about FF4 were people I introduced to it. By the time FF6 came out, things had changed somehow. People were talking.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

WYA posted:

I just got an old ps2 from a friend with some sweet rpg games. I have three choices it seems: Persona 3, Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Quest 8. I'm leaning a bit towards dragon quest because I gaddamn love the old games. What do you goons suggest? (For the record I thought ff13 was a piece of garbage, loved ff6 and FFT, played all the PS1 final fantasys and didnt really like them)

Dragon Quest 8 no question. Especially if you love the old games. I have to ask, why would you even consider playing FF13 when you didn't play DQ8?

Also, if you didn't like the PS1 FFs or FF13, I really don't see why you would like FF12.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

CheerGrrl92 posted:

Hope this isn't discouraged in this thread, but I was hoping someone could recommend me an RPG to play. I don't care what gen it is, but it has to be on the PS3, ds, wii or PC (or their virtual consoles)

To give some background on what I enjoy, my favorite games are: Chrono trigger, Zelda (all of them), Landstalker, and Darksiders.

I mostly enjoy games that have epic stories and interesting characters. I would have loved games like demon's souls and shadow of the colossus, but they are so weak on the depth of the story that I never really have any motivation to finish them.

I was thinking of checking out these games-

Earthbound- Had as a kid but never finished, but I remember it being pretty grindy
SMRPG- Again had as a kid and never finished
Radiant historia- sounds really interesting, but I think I remember hearing they stopped printing copies of it?
Breath of fire series- anyone know about these? Any worth picking up now?
Dragon quest series- I am a fan of toriyama (for dragonball and chronotrigger), but if I remember correctly these games are very grindy
Final fantasy- the only FF game I have ever owned is crystal chronicles and that sucked. I have always wanted to play them, but I am under the impression that they are very grindy. Is this true? If not, which game would I start with?

Earthbound - Really since you want epic stories and interesting characters, Mother 3 is an absolute must play for you. Commercials of the game in Japan consisted of an adult woman crying over the game's story. But I think you must play Earthbound first to enjoy Mother 3. Reason to play Earthbound: It's a great epic adventure set in modern time. No other RPG or probably game for that matter lets you use an ATM machine, go to shopping malls, make you go to a hospital and see a doctor if you get a hurt, buy a house, and order a pizza and have it delieved to you. You'll go from Stonehenge, to Zombie towns, to swamps, to pyrmaids, to deserts, to jungles, to metropolises with skyscrapers, to beach resorts, to traffic jams, to alien bases. Earthbound and Mother 3 also have every bit of the charm that Chrono Trigger has. Only the beginning of Earthbound is grindy. Before you get a second character is the only time I had to grind and is the most difficult part of the game. (Intentional because they were showing you how things get better when you have friends) Buy a SNES off of Ebay if you must to play it.

Dragon Quest - The later games in the series have zero grind. Play DQ5 if you want the DQ with the best story. It's available on DS. If you grind even once in the game, you are doing something wrong.

Final Fantasy - I don't know who would tell you that FF games are grindy. FF is known for changing the genre so that you never have to grind. The consensus on the games with the best stories and characters are FF4, FF6 and FFX. There's a fantastic version of FF4 for DS.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

I have this experience with every single Tales game. I've actually bought like... 6 of them I think, over the last 15 years. And every single time my friend is like "Don't loving buy it, you hate these games and you know it" and I say "Yeah but I heard this one was really good! It's going to be different this time!" and of those 6, 4 of them have literally put me to sleep and the other two I didn't play long enough but they probably would have.

I played about 30 hours of Tales of Phantasia and beat Tales of Destiny on PS. That was enough to tell me never to play another Tales game. I mean, they were just so generic that they might as well have been named JRPG: the JRPG. The only thing special about them is their 2D battles but I never understood how that made the games any better. It seemed to me like I just pressed Attack repeatedly like in every other RPG along with doing the random spell, only in this case the walking around made the battles last a lot longer and be more tedious.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

CheerGrrl92 posted:

Thanks for the help guys. Based on your responses it seems like I should check out radiant historia for sure, ff 4 and 6, and DQ 5. Also revisit earthbound (if I can find it anywhere).

Personally, I think that chrono trigger was the best game ever made.. and I played it last year so there is no nostalgia factor. I am hoping to find something at least comparable to it - hopefully one of these games will do that.

Have you played Xenogears? Made by the Chrono Trigger team, sounds like Chrono Trigger in many places, feels more like Chrono Trigger to me than Chrono Cross, and in terms of epic stories with interesting characters, it's at the very top of RPGs with no one close in second. It's available for PSN.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

It's also an unfinished mess that dumps basically the entire plot on you in a 12 hour long cutscene at the start of the second disc. A marvel more for what could have been that what was actually produced. I love the game, drat does it ever have more than its share of flaws.

This is true, but if you're really into the plot, it may not be that bad of a thing. I've went back and replayed the 2nd disc more times than I've played the first. The most unenjoyable parts of the disc for me were actually the gameplay parts. If you're not into the plot, you could just immediately quit the game once you hit the 2nd disc.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

"Some people will gush all over it like it’s the second coming. Some people act like it murdered and raped their dog. In that order."

Well, a Dark Id Let's Play is probably preferable to playing the actual game almost all of the time. I didn't even realize he did XG. That should be pretty amazing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

CheerGrrl92 posted:

So following recommendations from this thread, I picked up DQ5. I ended up taking it back three days later though..

The story, characters, and design were all AWESOME. There were a couple things that made the game just not fun to me though. Mainly, the fact that every time you had a new area unlocked you had to grind the old areas mobs for at least a half hour to continue.

If the xp was doubled, I would have kept the game.. I DO NOT mind grinding your way through a dungeon, as long as you are exploring or going somewhere. I just don't like hovering around one area.

With that said, is FF4 and FF6 going to be the same way? Are all the other DQ's the same way too? I remember someone saying DQ5 and earlier were the ones that were grindy..

No, FF4 and FF6 are not like that because DQ5 is not like either. You should have came here and asked if you didn't understand how to play it. There's definitely nothing about DQ5 that could be considered grindy. At no point in any of my playthroughs of DQ5 did I ever hover around one area. If anything, it's too easy. I was running from a lot of fights just to make the challenge go up.

Grinding the old areas.. wow, if you wanted to grind, that's the worst way to do it. If you do intend on grinding, you grind only the newest area.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

I wish there were more JRPGs that started out quickly. I feel like it's the worst trope in the genre that every single JRPG ever has to start 10 hours early before exciting things happen in the game. I want to play a good JRPG, but getting over that initial hurdle is just so much of an effort that I rarely finish JRPGs that I start.

What are some good games that toss you into the thick of things right away?

RPGs with the best starts:
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom: In fact, the first hour is the best part of the whole game. It's weird in that it starts out awesome but gets steadily worse the more you play it.
Earthbound: Right away, a meteor has hit, you're fighting aliens, and great story things are happening.
Mother 3: Incredible story telling right from the beginning.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Back on page 77 about FF4.

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm about ready to give up on FF4. Not because it is too hard or because it is frustrating me, but simply because I am not all that engaged, and I am finding it very samey. I'm at the point where I've just got the Earth Crystal and I'm about to track down Kain in the futuristic sci-fi looking place to save Rosa and I'm getting annoyed with the frequency of random battles and the sameyness of everything I've done thus far. Maybe FF4 just isn't for me, but I'm not all that engrossed in the characters or the story, and find the levels to all be simple variations of the same thing. Combat is also very samey - and what is surprising is how much I loved Dragon Quest 4 and 9, as well as Lufia 2, so it's not like I dislike this style of game.

I've also got FF9 which might be a different experience, or it might not. I also own FF6 and I've never really put much time into FF7 and can get that off the PSN store. But it could be the FF9 'way' just isn't my thing, and I can finally just give up on the series and get round to picking up and playing Dragon Quest V or something. :(

How often did you run from battles in FF4? The reason the battle frequency never bothered me, unlike let's say FF9 where I found the encounter rate to be game ruining brutal, is because there's always a 100% success rate in running. And you run instantly. It's like it never happened. If you don't want to fight battles you don't have to. I never liked the enemies in the Tower of Zot, so I run from every 4 out of 5 battles each time I'm in that area. That's the way I've played it since I first played the game in 1991.

It's too bad that you quit before getting to the underground portion of the game.

I really can't imagine how you could tolerate FF9 if you found FF4's encounter rate annoying and didn't like FF4's setting. I definitely think you'd prefer 6 or 7 way over FF9 based on this post.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Zidane acquires the Flee skill fairly early, which is a 100% run from battle skill.

It still made you wait for 15 seconds of loading and the camera swirling around for the battle to start, then you had to wait for Zidane's ATB meter to fill up, wait for an enemy's slow animation if they attacked first, then you had to wait 5 more seconds of loading time after the battle. Even using flee all the time, going through some dungeons still felt very tedious. It's not the case like in FF4 where a random battle presents almost no distraction at all if you're not in the mood to fight it.

I also remember this one dungeon where you didn't have Zidane and couldn't use flee as being particularly insanely frustrating. I replay FF4 often. I'd have to be paid to replay FF9.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

remeez posted:

I'm about to start DQ8 is there anything I should know going in?

Get the boomerang for the hero and put everything towards it. Bosses are easy. You might not be as effective against bosses but the game will be so much more enjoyable when there's no random battles that will ever take you more than 2 rounds. There are a TON of random battles. I would say this is the most important thing to know to enjoy the game. You seriously do not want to be spending > 2 rounds on random battles, which you probably will with a sword.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

If a segway from Suikoden II is allowed, I'd like to raise a question:

What makes a JRPG, or any RPG, "good"? A better phrasing probably is "what makes a good RPG?"

I love the first six Final Fantasies, with III and V being my favorites because I like the job systems, FFTA2 is honestly my favorite game ever, and I played through Bravely Default twice without playing other games in between. However, I can't put my finger on why they appeal to me so much beyond the joy managing to get my numbers high enough to beat the final boss.

It's good if it makes you care about the story of the world or the role you're playing in a RPG. I would say FFXIII has a good battle system but it doesn't make you care about the world, so I would classify it as bad. There's lots of RPGs with mediocre battles that I would still call good and worth pushing through despite the battles because they do make you care you about the story or the world. Lunar. Earthbound. Xenogears. Nier.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Someone recently brought up a topic in a random thread of gameplay keeping crappy stories afloat being much more common than good stories keeping weak gameplay afloat. I also believed the former is much more true than the later, but I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

Anyway my question is: how many games can you think of the later category?

What brought me back to this topic was a recent conversation with a friend about Radiant Historia. This was a game that I thought had fairly weak gameplay but the story/characters really kept the game afloat from beginning to end. It wasn't unplayable gameplay, it just wasn't anything I found interesting enough to be fun for hours.

Lots. I thought Lunar had especially terrible awful battles but I don't regret playing through it and I've actually been thinking about replaying it. Even with the best Final Fantasy battle systems, don't you find they get really repetitive and unfun after a few hours? In FFX, you face the same monster types over and over and have to use the same strategies against them, how can that possibly still be fun? It's not to me but it's still my favorite FF. Xenogears is one of my favorite games but the battles were very repetitive. I never looked forward to battles. The best part of the game to me by far is the 2nd disc without all the boring dungeons.

I'm playing Xenoblade right now and I'm really not digging the gameplay. For starters, the voices during the battle are incredibly annoying. The AI is terrible. I have to take over the role of the healer during boss fights because the healer doesn't seem to know how to consistently heal people. Every battle in the game seems to be just two battle scenarios. Either I get in a battle and get immediately slaughtered, or else they're too easy and don't require any thought, so I'm just going through the motions and it's a chore to get through to explore the world. That said, I am still enjoying XenoBlade. I love the atmosphere and find the world engrossing.

Snackula posted:

This is obviously highly subjective and probably won't go over too well in the RPG thread but I usually only play JRPGs in spite of their godawful battle systems. That doesn't mean I play them entirely for the plot, it's more like I enjoy running around in a world of softserve anime tropes listening to some chill tunes after work (the plot is usually stupid too). Like they basically fill a soap opera type niche for me I guess.

Same here. The only battle system I think I could tolerate if the rest of the game was uninteresting would be Chrono Trigger. Combining techs was fun.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 14, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

J posted:

Try ditching your healer, especially if it's Sharla. You don't need to follow a tank/dps/healer paradigm in that game at all. It will probably be more fun since you'll plow through easy battles faster, and the difficult battles will be more interesting as you learn to avoid damage through toppling and chain attacks and such.

I usually don't use Sharla except for the bosses. For them light heal isn't enough a lot of the time. I'll come real close to beating them and die, then I'll load my save back, put in Sharla, and just do nothing but heal with her until the battle is over. Fun.

How is Melia? I've barely used her because she has such low HP.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

In other news, I think I'm gonna go on a "Popular JRPGs Run" next month now I have a PS3 and PSN. Gonna play Chrono Trigger (I don't care about load times okay? I grew up with the PS1 and never had a SNES. Load Times are a part of my life) and maybe venture into Tales by trying out Symphonia. Seems to be a lot of people's favorites and even if it isn't as good as some of the others, I've been advised to play older Tales games first because then the "old and outdated" battle system won't feel so bad whereas if I started with Xillia or Graces f, it would. I kinda doubt this but whatever.

Shame Abyss and Legendia aren't on PSN. Although Legendia is mainly good for its soundtrack and everythign else is of suspect quality I am told.

I remember that you were talking about Nier awhile ago. Have you ever got around to playing that? If not, speaking as someone just like you who worships Xenogears and puts story and music as the highest priority for RPGs, I recommend you do Nier before Tales Of. Nier is really something special. Knowing what games you like, I think you would fall in love with it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

It's always peculiar when your preconceived notions turn out to be wrong. I remember getting the distinct feeling Chrono Cross was one of the most beloved JRPGs ever back before I actually paid any attention to the series. And yet with TDI's LP a few years back and general research across the Internet, I discovered it wasn't quite as popular as I first thought.
It's like when I became an FMA fan. Ten years of hearing nothing but the highest praise for the first anime and then suddenly I am swamped with "Brotherhood was infinitely better and everything about the first anime sucked."

Obviously I can't judge it until I play it for myself but as a fellow Xeno fan I'm sure you can understand being skeptical about internet backlash. If I listened to posters on here, I probably would hate Xenogears too.

Well, not if you read the Xenogears TDI LP thread. That was about 200 pages of people being invested in the story. From what I saw, it was almost all positive. There were people even seriously discussing the game's themes, history, and symbolism. I was surprised. Compare that to the Chrono Cross TDI LP which was 200 pages of people making fun of it.

The Nier thread is like the former. 200 pages of people being enamored with the story. There were lots of people who hadn't played the game and couldn't wait for the next update to see what would happen next.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

So I got Magus, Ayla and Crono as my party but then I don't have a healer. I don't want to constantly rely on Items. I have like 100K Gil but I'm sure any future equipment I will want to buy will be insanely pricy so I don't want to squander my fortune on getting as many Hi Potions as I can. Mid-Potions only heel like 200 I think and that's useless. Marle with Cure can heal pretty much any character to full and it only costs 1 MP with the Stud she has on as an accessory.

Maybe I'll go for a party of Magus, Ayla and Marle. They are my favorite characters. Well Marle and Magus for Story and Ayla for Charm.

edit:

I forgot Marle has Haste. Yeah, she stays.

If you ever want a real easy time with the game, use Crono, Robo, and Frog. Frog and Robo have a heal that always cures everyone for full health. You can use it every turn if you wanted while Crono does whatever he wants. That's an unstoppable tactic. The group also has one of the strongest triple techs.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

So, Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy VI seems to be one of those arguments I've been hearing about for years among older JRPG fans. Now I've played both, I have to say I prefer Trigger. Granted, I never actually finished VI but....uh, well, I played up to Setzer joining the party. That was far enough, right?

But which do people here prefer between CT and VI? Which is the King of SNES JRPGs? Then again, maybe you have a third option for best SNES JRPG? If so please tell me since I'm in a huge retro mood thanks to playing the Chrono games.

Also, the SNES is a little before my time when it comes to JRPGs. It was the Playstation when I fell in love with the genre. Perhaps that is why I preferred Cross... Anyway, while I've been hearing CT vs. FFVI for years, I never hear anyone argue Chrono Cross vs. the PS1-era FF games. Cross didn't feel much like FFVIII or IX but I did kinda get some feelings of VII.

I would put VI after Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFIV, and Secret of Mana. I think the quality of VI drops off in the second half. It's still one of the best SNES games, but I just never look forward to replaying the second half. On account of it being completely non-linear and that you're not required to have any particular character in your party most of the time, the plot and meaningful character interaction becomes non-existent. So that half is always really boring to me.

I'm surprised that for being a story-first gamer, you haven't said what you thought about Cross's story yet. What did you think?

Don't be in a retro mood. Play Nier.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Endorph posted:

Really the WoR has way more character dialogue/interaction than the WoB, but that isn't saying much. That just isn't FF6's strong suit.

I don't know how you can think this. Terra was such a important character in the first half. In the second half, she has only a few lines of dialogue in 2 scenes. No major meaningful interaction with any of the other cast members in the party. (How could she when the game didn't know what characters you would pick for that part?)

Same for Locke. He has about 10 lines of dialogue contained in one scene in the WoR. The only character interaction any members of the party have with him is Celes asking "What's up?" That's it after all the story between the two in the first half. How can you not be disappointed by that? It makes me wonder if Square developers were working on WoR one day and then the higher ups just came in and told them Hey guys, the deadline is up, stop what you're doing and turn in what you have.

There's no group interaction between all the members of the party once you have more than four characters. But how could there be when the game didn't know what characters you recruited and which characters you're using? I realize there's not that much in the WoB, however the moments they did have were nice. Not having it at all was disappointing.

If WoR was more like the first half, I could easily see it being one of the best RPGs ever. Wouldn't it have been fantastic if they did another character split in the WoR? First you control Celes, Edgar, and Sabin. Then you control another three characters somewhere else in the world. Then another three. Then they all meet up at the end. Locke, Strago, and Cyan for example. Imagine what adventures they could have.

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? Almost every major character gets plot and development in the second half of FFVI. It is just based around their own story instead of them being party members. Which is how it is in the first half too. You don't get Edgar and Sabin's plot unless you bring them along, you don't get Locke's plot unless you visit a certain place, ect. Required character plot development in FFVI is limited to like Celes and Terra and maybe Locke aside from that one section where everyone splits up.

Meanwhile the WoR has the resolution to most character's plots. Certain minor characters (Strago being a big example here) don't really get much and Relm/Shadow's stuff is hidden behind dreams but even Gau gets a big plot resolution in the WoR.

Those little stories for each character are so disconnected from everything else. Even from the rest of the cast. Characters are given one moment and then tossed aside never to be discussed again. There were parts like that in the WoB, but there were also like you said, the branching stories part, in fact the whole beginning up to the point where Terra flies away, the part where Locke and Celes go to the Opera House, the part where Terra, Locke, and Shadow go to Thamesa and meet Strago and Relm. All my favorite parts of the game. WoB required you to have to certain members most of the time. And when they weren't, major world events were still happening such as the Empire making a truce. In WoR, the villain just sits in a tower the whole time. There's no sense of urgency. You don't even have a secondary villain like Ultros being a nuisance. You're just going around collecting characters. Since it's optional, you know nothing you find will have implications other than for that one character. You know characters in your party won't react to that character's story in any meaningful way.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Except they do? Like, it's specifically structured so this can happen. Not every character reacts to every scene but that would be silly. Celes is there to react to Locke, Cyan is there to react to Gau, Relm and Strago obviously are there for each other, Sabin will have reactions to Edgar if you've recruited him beforehand... like the stuff you're claiming isn't true.

Well, I did say meaningful way. Celes in reacting to Locke just had two lines. One of them was "What's up?" The other is "Locke.." Then they never speak to each again until the ending. Compare that interaction to their interaction in the first half. No one else talks to Locke again either. Cyan has two lines talking about Gau's hat. That is seriously the limit of his interaction with another character in the party in the WoR. I think they clearly made relationships and chemistry of the cast less of a priority in WoR.

quote:

Edit:
Also, honestly, you're not wrong about 'characters are there for their plot and kinda ignored otherwise' but that applies to the bulk of Final Fantasy games. It's something I'd prefer to be fixed but it isn't exclusive to FFVI at all. It even shows up in FFIV which has a set cast and super-linear progression, let alone the later games.

I like that FF4's cast are constantly talking to one another. Each of your party members are always reacting to an event in their own way, they're exchanging banter, butting heads with each other, or flirting with each other in the case of Edge and Rydia. FFX did this same thing but x 100. A large part of why it's easily my favorite FF.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

This is an admittedly vague question, but does anyone have recommendations for RPGs that are around 15-25 hours long? I want to play something different than the MMOs and shooters I've been playing recently (holy poo poo, playing WoW and Destiny back-to-back is a great way to burn out on those genres hard), but avoid too much of a time commitment.

South Park: Stick of Truth, Nier, Suikoden 1 (To my disappointment; Right when I was falling in love with it, it ended), Lunar 1 (No more than 15 hours), Super Mario RPG, FF4, Parasite Eve.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Grandia any good? I played it a bit but it was so basic 90's anime that I got bored pretty quick.

That's about what I got out of it. It's a standard kid going on adventure JRPG story. It's similar to Lunar but not as funny as Lunar. The battle system is the best thing about it but that didn't stop me from being really bored on all of the dungeons. I think you can do better.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The more I play Xenoblade, the more bored I am by it. I'm at the snow mountain about 35 hours in. It's a slog. 3,000 steps down the mountain. The characters move so drat slow that it would be tedious even without being interrupted by battles. While I like that the battle system is unique and makes you do more than just press attack, in each area you'll fight the same 2-3 monsters over and over and you do the same thing in each one to win. It's repetitive.

I finally got down to the destination at the bottom of the mountain, then I went on a fetch quest to get an item to open a door. Now I have to do 1500 more steps of walking through the snow, goddammit.

Story is sub par. Except for Rayn, characters are devoid of personality. Dialogue is bland "You are the chosen one to wield the Monado" type stuff.

Unless I'm totally not understanding something, the shopping system for weapons and armor is a nightmare. It takes me a minimum of 20 minutes each time I get to a shop. You can't compare weapons and armor straight up because you have gems equipped. So I have to write down what gems each character has, remove the gems, then compare them, buy things, go through the mountain of collectables I have and see what I can sell, then equip it all and put the gems back. At this point I'll usually go do gem crafting to get that out of the way. That's another 10-15 minutes.

The music is good and the environments are pretty, I'll give the game that.

I can't understand how this game got better reviews than Nier. Even the side quests are much more enjoyable in Nier. At least there they're accompanied by witty banter.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

some people don't like some games

i didn't like xenoblade much either, if youre not enjoying don't play it

I was hoping someone would say that the last 5 hours including the mountain was like the Kislev sewers of XS and it's all uphill from there. Or maybe the first half is all setup and in a little while the story is about to really begin. Instead everyone is just agreeing with me.

WrightOfWay posted:

Xenoblade has a cool setting and good music. That's about the extent of the nice things I have to say about it.

So Xenoblade is like Chrono Cross for Wii.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was talking to a coworker of mine the other day, and he asked me if they even made JRPGs anymore. I told him they still did, but they are mostly on handhelds. I asked him what platform he had and he says he only has a PS3. This got me thinking, what legitimately good JRPGs (not SRPGs) are on the PS3? I've heard Tales of Xillia is pretty good and so is Ni No Kuni, but is there anything else?

Guess this guys was wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRbm0Px0XE

Nier is wonderful. It was recommended to me here about a year ago. I'm glad it was. It would have been satisfying to play through just for having one of the best soundtracks in gaming even if nothing else was good about it, but luckily, it also happens to have a great story, great voice acting, and a ton of humor. As a bonus, rather than being a teenage kid, the main guy is an older ugly man. Gameplay was okay. It's fast and doing combos is fun at first but it gets repetitive like almost every other RPG. There's some nice boss battles.

As for DQ, yeah, V is probably regarded as the best. But IV is worth playing too. It's right behind V. It does a neat thing where it has you play as different characters in different lands (you'll go from a knight to a shop owner to a dancer to a tomboy princess whose goal is to become the strongest fighter in the world), then they'll all join forces by the end. Since the story and perspective is constantly changing, it never gets boring. In DQ3, your characters are just characters you buy in a shop, there's no connection to them, plot and motivation for continuing on are weak. My opinion on DQ3 is that it's skip-able.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 23, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

All Else Failed posted:

I just read through like the last 50 pages of this thread because it was genuinely interesting and friendly chat, and now I'm wondering if the thread can help me. Though I suspect you can't -- not because of you, because I don't think there's really anything to help me with.

For the past, I dunno, 5 years or so, I haven't really gamed. I have, but not for realsies. The pas 2.5-3 years have been a lot of League of Legends, and I've played Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is maybe the most important thing to ever happen to humanity, and I did a nice stint of iphone gaming a couple of years ago. Just lots of dabbling because at one point I had a life and other hobbies (not anymore, I'm back to being a loving loser).

Anyway, I've been growing tired of online gaming and have slowly taken to emulating again (I can emulate PS2 now which is a new development, finally got to check out God Hand which I heard about on the forums many years ago but I lost interest after fighting the loving Leblanc poo poo with her stupid hearts) because as far as I can tell, video games are pretty trash nowadays, especially if you like JRPGs. Also as far as I can tell, I am a mere pedestrian in this world compared to you folks.

I emulated Chrono Trigger and didn't get very far before my computer crashed last year. Probably close to ten years ago I played FFTA and loving loved it. I think I squeezed in like 1/3 of Mario RPG too (I know, I was the kid with Sega and not SNES). When I was younger and had a PS2/GC, I absolutely loving loved FFX and FFX-2 (and obviously FF7 when I got around to playing it -- and FF12 bored the gently caress out of me mostly) and even though I don't replay games much, have been considering just revisiting those. And even though I don't replay games much, I have beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door like 3 times because it's honestly a loving great game.

Recently I played through about 2/3 of FFVI before my save file got corrupted (I was kind of bored anyway, lots of turbo-ing and pressing A because random encounters are easy and boooooring) and just today I decided, gently caress it, I'm going to make up for lost time and grab Pokemon Ruby because I barely touched Pokemon as a kid. I played Dragon Quest VIII for about 20 minutes on recommendation and honestly have no desire to touch it again, I hated the menu/equip setup and the control scheme (though that part could be remedied easily I guess).

(I'd also like to thank the thread for reminding me of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, and a lesser extent Tales of Vesperia as I had a 360 instead of a PS3, those were probably my last forays into RPGs until recently)

My question is, given that like with all things, I tend to like to skim off the top and only spend time on the cream of the crop (at least as I consider them) and don't really have an interest in grinding out some lovely JRPG just because, are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour? I have heard of a bunch of the games mentioned here but I am just skeptical all around, I kinda feel like you have to be a die-hard enthusiast to enjoy it anymore. Would I be better off just running through FF X-2 or FFTA again after all these years or maybe sticking with Ruby? I think I've just realized that like with all things, the classics are cool but they don't really totally do it for me. I'd also like to mention that I don't mind things being somewhat on the rails, I never got into games like Skyrim because I feel like there is no goddamned point to them and the options are too overwhelming, it's a life simulator almost.

Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the rambling but just trying to give some context into the kind of pleb rear end in a top hat I am here so you know not to tell me to play an obscure lovely game that barely anyone itt likes. I've considered Grandia II as well but I honestly don't like pointless grinding, I like a good challenge but not having to sperg out about a game or force myself to stay interested for 100 hours in order to play it properly. Mostly, I just like games that feel unique and well-crafted.

Anyone?

From that, all I see that you want is something unique and good, and not open world or grindy. I'll repeat myself a few pages ago and say Nier. Not only does it have in my and a lot of people's opinions the best soundtrack in games, it also has a great story, great voice acting, and a lot of humor. I found it very unique as far as RPGs go in that you're a middle aged ugly dad out to find a cure for your sick daughter rather than being a teenager on an adventure. Gameplay is fast and easy, no grind necessary. If you play it, just don't do any sidequests unless you want to do them.

I like Grandia 1 more than 2. 2 being darker (yet still over the top cheesy) made it feel more like a Saturday Morning Cartoon meant for preteens, whereas 1 being lighthearted made it more cute and fun like a Disney film that could be enjoyed by all ages.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

All Else Failed posted:

I like the idea of using buffs and debuffs more, I feel like in most RPGs they simply a waste of a turn. Everything else sounds like a lot of unnecessary work, and I kinda hate when a game punishes you for not knowing something you couldn't really have known at the time.

I turned to some Facebook friends for recommendations too (though I've decided to keep giving Ruby a chance for now and then try Suikoden 2 and try some Skyrim when no one's using the living room). I am hearing lots of love for Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, and the original Tales game on SNES. A friend also mentioned Wild Arms (I've always heard 2 mentioned), Saga Frontier, and Unlimited Saga. And Rogue Galaxy but I can't remember what the consensus itt was of that game. Is he wildly wrong or right about any of these? I'm really leaning toward Legend of Dragoon.

I'll second the love for Xenogears and Suikoden 2.

I'll derecommend (looks like it's not a word, but it should be) Tales for SNES. You said you wanted something unique. Tales of Phantasia was the most unremarkable JRPG I've ever played. It's cookie-cutter cliche JRPG in everything but the 2D battles. And if you're playing it for the battles, there has to be Tales games with better.. everything. I haven't played all of them, but I imagine all of them have to have better everything. Tales of Phantasia was so weak. I think you could do better with almost any SNES RPG. How's about Earthbound? That's very unique.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

How good is Star Ocean 2? Is that worth playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

The battle system is utterly destructible. Make yourself invincible (like fully invincible, ignore stuns and knockback and all that poo poo) with the armor that constantly drains your life, and then counteract it with the weapon that gives your attacks lifesteal. Put the invincibility armor on a healer and outpace its drain with your healing magic!

Isn't that a bad thing? What's the motivation to keep playing if you can win every battle just by attacking over and over?

al-azad posted:

Like many of tri-ace's games it's a dumb anime plot wrapped around character customization that demands you to break it and some non-linearity in how the events play out. It's very gameplay heavy and you'll miss a lot of poo poo. Some of it is kind of souring (I would have been pissed if I missed out on Ashton) but it's a decent game.

Gameplay heavy. So maybe not for me since I'm someone who prefers Xenogears and Lunar to Final Fantasy 5 and Vagrant Story.