Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Any thoughts on the 22" PHILIPS 221V2AB? The parameters are supposed to be 250cd/m2, 5ms and 1920x1080. How would it compare to Samsung 223BW that I have now?

Here's the situation: it's on sale dirt cheap ($150) and I need a present for my parents. Since I'm already helping them out financially, they'll be (or should be) happy with anything, even used, since the laptop they use is on its last legs and I have an older PC standing around (sans monitor). Keep in mind that these aren't the US prices. I checked the used prices and they make no sense - 19" TNs go for ~$100.
  • Buy the Philips
    1. Give it to them
    2. Keep it, and give them the Samsung
  • Buy the Dell U2311H ($350), and give them the Samsung

I'd imagine the Philips will be a bit smaller in terms of surface area, but a bit of extra resolution and newer technology will make it better, right? Of course I'd prefer to have the Dell, but I'm also trying to save up for a car so every $ counts.

Edit: poo poo, forgot I also have an even older 15" one that I use as a secondary monitor. It could be a cheap way out, but I really do like having two monitors.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok gently caress it, after a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that the rational choice is the Dell U2311H. Although it does seem significantly more expensive, its marginal cost to me is only around those $150 or so for what is (hopefully) a much better monitor. The only remaining concern is the anti glare coating :ohdear:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Remember how I wasn't sure if I should buy the U2311H a while ago? Yeah I got it.

And it looks like it has some poo poo inside the LCD assembly that makes it look like it has a bunch of dead pixels. It should be a clear RMA case but still a pain in the rear end. I guess this is what happens when you don't check it right in the store.

Also, is it normal for LED backlights to produce noticeable bleeding even at normal viewing angles? This is a 2 second exposure so it's not that bad, but the orange/blue colors in the lower corners are fairly noticeable even in real use:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I've been holding out on sending out my U2311H out to them (see post here) because of similar concerns. Anyone else care to comment on this? Are the U2311H RMAs generally pretty good, or are they generally a huge pain in the rear end?

I can only comment that I ended up not RMA-ing my 2311, and that it payed off. As some might recall, the problem was that there was a bunch of poo poo stuck in the panel that looked like dead pixels:

I initially didn't return it due to being busy, lazy, and generally apathetic, but now I wanted to take care of it and a stick of RAM that started bluescreening my computer. So I opened a new fullscreen white document to again check where all the crap was, and... there was none. I thought I just got used to seeing all the black dots, but even staring from up close, the worst I could find were a couple of tiny points that seem slightly reddish when looking at them from a certain degree. Where did the rest of the dirt go, did it all fall out, or burn off? :iiam:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jam2 posted:

Anyone used this Toshiba portable and want to recommend or comment on it?

http://us.toshiba.com/accessory/PA3923U-1LC3

No, but there's a nice overview over at Arstechnica, it looks like a decent idea and execution.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like 16:9 either. I got the U2311H about 4 months ago and I'm still not fully used to it, the monitor is just too wide for anything besides watching movies. I suspected as much though, but convinced myself that it's ok because I'm not actually losing any resolution over a 1680x1050 monitor. Of course, compared to 1920x1200 that's a lovely deal, but the huge price difference forces the decision in 1080p's favor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The anti-glare stuff is a bit annoying, but honestly what bothers me much more than the coating itself is why the hell was it even necessary. I never had any glare problems with matte displays so it comes off as a gimmick which doesn't do any good and is just a pointless checkbox on the feature list.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here are the "money doesn't matter" options:

PVM-E250

25" Trimaster EL 1920x1080 OLED monitor
$26,000

PVM-2541

25" 1920x1080 OLED monitor
Apparently not announced yet

Video overview

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone, at least everyone who's been disappointed with the lovely low resolution that monitors nowadays seem to have.

Eizo DuraVision FDH3601

As this picture clearly shows, your monitor sucks.

36.4", 4096 x 2160 resolution, LED bakclight, and a whole bunch of other Eizo goodies. It even has human presence sensors so it can turn itself off and save you money, though it might take a while for it to pay off. Because it's $36k. It's a good companion to the 1080p Sony OLED monitors.

:negative:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course it would be pretty retarded to buy a 16:10 1680x1050 screen instead of a 16:9 1920x1080 one, all else being equal, but at the same time it's equally retarded to buy the 1920x1080 monior when a 16:10 one is jut a few bucks more, like with the Dell 2312/2412 monitors. Unfortunately I bought the 2311 a year ago when the next cheapest 24" was almost twice as much, so I'm stuck with 16:9. Honestly, it's not bad, but even after this long I just feel like this aspect ratio is wrong for most computing tasks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

My U2412m arrives today and I'm intending to use it at home. I was going to bring an older, smaller monitor in to work to get dual screen but it turns out the crappy pc I'm on only supports a single VGA input. Am I hosed for dual screen? I'd go tri-screen at home but unfortunately my desk isn't big enough

So your work PC only has one VGA out? There are some weird monitors that have USB inputs but you'd have to buy one plus I think they generally have a limited resolution, among other limitations. Otherwise your only option is to add a cheap card to drive your other monitor, which is trivial if your IT is ok with that and won't freak out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Avalanche posted:

CES is over. Any word on new goodies for this year?

Chances are ill just hang on to my U2311H, but if something awesome came out like a ultra-retina-IPS display, I might want to splerge again this year.

Yeah I posted basically this in the laptop thread - tiny 4" displays in phones is one thing, but 10" 1920x1200 IPS is already in the ultraportable laptop territory. If we could get that kind of DPI in desktop monitors, I wouldn't even be too upset over the lack of OLED monitors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to explain to a friend of mine that ~$300 27" monitors are going to suck hard since they're both TN and 1080p and 16:9. Unsuccessfully. It's not even a question of money, he just thinks they look great.
:negative:

IMO, it's not even those 120px, but the as other have said, the ratio just looks better and is easier to work with on a PC.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I don't really see the harm in everything being 16:x or x:9, I can do basic arithmetic too but this just makes everything clear at a glance on spec sheet or price list

movax posted:

It's :psyduck: inducing, I've had people come up to me super-smug because they paid less than I did for my U3011 to get 2 lovely TN 24/27" displays. "You don't know as much as you think about this stuff movax :smug:"

Then I hear them complain about why the pictures on screen don't match what they print, or why the colors on my display are so much better. v0v

I think I forgot to mention the worst part - I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was just some guy who called his tower case the hard drive or something. But he's actually into computer stuff about as much as I am, and even actually studied informatics, unlike myself. I can even understand not being upset about TN, the modern panels aren't that bad. But 1080p at 27" or above is just lovely resolution no matter how you cut it. Uh, I should probably take a deep breath now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
From what I recall, they're just as good as the 27" ones, that is, good picture quality lovely everything else.

And for something on the opposite end of the scale, there's the new Asus 4K monitor for $3500!
http://techreport.com/news/25031/asus-4k-monitor-ships-july-16-up-for-pre-order-at-3-500

I was kind of hoping to jump from my current 23" Dell IPS screen directly to a mega-HD OLED display but looks like there might be another upgrade before then :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not a gimmick, but certainly requires some effort compared to just sticking a TV on the wall. Here's what mine looks like:

• Ambient light is the enemy, obviously. The heavy outside blinds I have make the projector usable at any time, but during the day, especially with direct sunlight on the windows, there's just not enough contrast in dark scenes to properly enjoy a good movie. Still fine for random youtube crap, sports, etc.
  • White walls work pretty well as the projection surfaces, but the problem is with all the other white walls because in bright scenes the light bounces all over and makes the room look like daylight, messing up the contrast again. Note all the light on the left wall there, the same is true with the ceiling and other walls, just not as bad.
The former is negated with heavy curtains and the latter with a screen and a bucket of dark paint. I didn't bother yet as due to money/:effort:, but that's something you need to be ready to do to get the most out of it. I'd suggest spending a bit more on a 1080p projector, and getting one with lens zoom and shift as that makes the placement much easier and more flexible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My U2311H seems to be making GBS threads itself. After turning on the PC last evening, the first thing I saw was the Windows login screen - it was completely dark up until then. So far the symptoms seem to be:

a) It now takes ~30 seconds from getting a signal to the image appearing, the backlight is off during this time. Switching video modes in games/windows causes this too, for example.
b) There's no OSD and the buttons, including power, don't do anything.

Has anyone encountered a failure like this?

I suspect that turning off the power completely via the switch on the back might "reboot" it into a functioning state, but it could also not come back on at all. Currently it's just very annoying but dropping another $300+ on a suitable replacement is the last thing I need right now as I was hoping to save for the new Dell 4K instead :mad:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Doesn't it have a 3 year warranty like all UltraSharp monitors? When did you buy it?

Holy poo poo, 31.12.2010. Dunno if it had a 3 year warranty here, probably did but I'll find that out soon enough.

Actually the failure is pretty hilarious. I didn't notice it at first, but if I held one of the buttons for a bit, a lock icon appeared. I got the buttons unlocked and then discovered that everything works, except it's all very, very slow. The menu takes maybe 5 seconds to show up, and then you can actually see it redraw the graphics as you navigate around, so filling in a button with the background color takes a second or so, and so on.

I found some steps that are supposed to fix this (disconnect, hold power button or something like that). But since this might be the last chance to have it replaced, I wonder if I should even try it. The U2312HM seems to be no longer available so maybe I'd get an upgrade to 16:10 as well - is the U2412M a suitable replacement for a U2311h?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd rather spend the 4.5k for the 31.5" 4k screen, if I had that much disposable income. That's probably going to be my next screen purchase. When I can buy a ~32" IPS screen with 4K resolution that does 60hz refresh, and doesn't need driver fuckery to create the illusion to your PC that you have 2 smaller screens; and when I can get the above for under 1K AUD, I'm jumping on it.

Yip Yips posted:

Are there any 30" IPS screens for under 1k right now, even foregoing the 4k?

$4.5k is waaay to much, personally, but there's some good news - there's supposed to be a new, sub $1k 28" 4K Dell out in early 2014. I'd be fine with it only having one DP input, no OSD and stand, as long as it didn't sacrifice too much IQ over the more expensive 32/24" options. I'll be returning a u2311h now so that could result in some cash to go toward this baby.

Edit: So my monitor fixed itself just before I was going to bring it in for a warranty refund/replacement. Actually I fixed it by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable, as I wanted to make sure the issue could be easily reproduced. It can't, so no guilt-free upgrade for me.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 26, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like our IT department might be getting rid of some depreciated 24" HP monitors and although I was really hoping for a <$1k IPS 4k display (which isn't gonna happen now), with the backup being a 27" Korean monitor... this might have to do it instead.

Last time I picked up 2 Fujitsu-Siemens 19" S-PVA monitors for $10/pc and although these probably won't be quite as cheap, I'll probably replace my two 19" and the U2311h with as many of these as I can drive with my 650Ti Boost :getin:

cat doter posted:

I know that, I'm just not sure if that'd prevent any problems with using a monitor with no scaler. But it occurs to me that scaling can be done on the video card itself instead of the display so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Yeah, that's the idea, let the GPU do the scaling so the display doesn't suspect anything :). Nvidia seems to let you do this without any stupid tricks too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I've always thought that LCD screens look better on phones, the screen on my Lumia 920 is much nicer than the one on my old galaxy nexus. It's a shame even nokia is moving away from them.

The screen on my new phone is better than on the old one :v:

The one in my (original!) HTC Desire has barely any signs of burn-in, its only downside is the Pentile layout, but it still makes any LCD look like poo poo in terms of contrast and black levels as far as I can tell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wargames posted:

Always heard Q3 of 2014 is the soonest and with the facebook money they can invent new screens instead of dealing with tablet scraps.

Oculus VR posted:

A: We are currently scheduled to start shipping the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 in July of 2014. We will ship units in the order in which purchases were completed, with consideration of the number of development kits available in each region.

July is Q3, no? Of course their ability to deliver on schedule is another matter entirely. While the DK1 was really just a toy/dev tool, based on all the changes I think the DK2 would be perfectly usable as a consumer device, even though the latency and resolution could be still improved for CV1. For which there's still no date, but I hope it will be relatively soon after DK2.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 1, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, I'm not really concerned about the latest Call of Battlefield having support, if it's modded into a few good flight and race sims, that'd be more than enough to justify getting a Rift for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mikemelbrooks posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJS6PCC
My work bonus is burning a hole in my pocket whats the goonsensus of this I currently run 1080p with a gtx580 so might have run at a lower resolution for a few weeks until I find a gtx780 or similar at the right price?

:siren:TN panel:siren:

Although as others mentioned, doubling 1080p until you have the hardware should be fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any Korean 4K monitors already? I'll probably be buying a new PC to go with the Rift/Vive soon, and I might as well replace the 1080p Dell u2311h (because gently caress money :homebrew:) that I now have. The brand ones are getting quite reasonable, but I don't hate money that much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks guys, the AMH and Microboard do look pretty drat good, and are already cheaper than the 27" Dell here. Just to not get hosed by the customs :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So does the latest nvidia stuff work with FreeSync monitors, even if they call it G-Sync or whatever they want? And by "works" I mean take advantage of it, not just that the monitor displays images.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a killer deal even without the code:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NewFatMike posted:

Ah, good call! It looks like it uses an LG AH IPS panel, so it should be pretty good quality?

FreeSync is definitely part of why I looked into those - I'm definitely a fan of being able to get into that later on when 4k becomes more within reach for plebs like me. Until then, I will happily take 1080p with FreeSync for buttery goodness. Even a 50% increase in resolution in half the screen size will still look really really good. I don't need all the Vizio smart TV features since I have a Chromecast and a receiver with 4k60 passthrough, although the lack of local dimming may be worth the tradeoff for lower response time (I will have to see if my receiver screws with that at all as well, but in that case I can likely just route audio out through it).

All that, and it's difficult to make use of the limited space in my apartment decorating around a giant projector setup when I can't get ceiling access (they're 15 feet up and violates my lease to drill into it anyway).

Thanks again!

Post an update if you end up with one! I've been keeping an eye on the Wasabi Mango (what a name, somebody should make Burger Apple pie monitors) for their big size and low cost. Which is also incidentally how I introduce myself to the ladies.

Unfortunately they do seem to be using LG IPS panels in the 43" and 49" and Samsung PVA in the 40", which is of course the one that I want since I'll be using it as a monitor on my desk and not a TV. How's PVA nowadays though? I remember these panels being a good option back in the day but have no idea how they evolved recently.

Unrelated to this, what's the situation with HDR? Manufacturers seem to be starting pushing this in TVs to be used with HDR blurays but I haven't heard anything on the PC front since AMD was making some noises about the stuff a year ago.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like you just forgot to zoom in to 400%

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's the situation with Korean monitors nowadays? I'd like something 4k, >30" and that would ideally also do >100hz at a lower resolution. That's pretty specific but I actually recall seeing something like this before but can't find it anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the situation with Korean monitors nowadays? I'd like something 4k, >30" and that would ideally also do >100hz at a lower resolution. That's pretty specific but I actually recall seeing something like this before but can't find it anymore.

Well I think I found one, Prism M320PU. It's 32", 4k, and should be IPS. Even supports FreeSync which unfortunately is kind of useless for me. Has anyone used this one? Or even seen a review of it somewhere? It's almost exactly what I wanted but I'd like to see something more than a short post on some Canadian forum first. At this price and current exchange rates, it's less than half what 32" IPS monitors cost locally so it's very tempting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

In theory OLED should be much better about this, but it all comes down to the particular implementation. Phones, in particular, are often known for accepting such tradeoffs in order to hit whatever other feature points they're looking for.
Black smearing is certainly a thing and seems to affect almost all OLEDs to a varying degree when transitioning from pure black. I don't recall all the details of why this is happening unfortunately but the solution is to instead display very small non-zero value, kind of defeating the point of OLEDs somewhat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what's the real difference between the Eizo EV2436W and EV2456? Apparently I missed a note that out office monitors are being replace and couldn't order something larger but I can choose betwen these. The 56 has tiny bezels and on paper slightly higher brightness and response times but otherwise in real life :iiam:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo it's an orthodox Christmas miracle!

Does anyone have or had experience with Philips 436M6VBPAB? It's kind of huge but on the other hand 4K and HDR and VRR now. Though it's an MVA panel apparently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How's it just working with a monitor of that size on your desk? Do you keep it at normal monitor distance? I'm considering getting a 43" Phillips for the 4k+HDR+Freesync but the size is freaking me out a bit as the largest I've used long term is 24".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

In a happy coincidence, TFTCentral just released an update to their review of the LG 34GK950F (34" 144Hz 1440p ultrawide with freesync), because a firmware update was recently released for it. That firmware update pretty much eliminated the signal processing lag it used to have (around ~10ms), so now the field looks like this:

Oh no, the Philips JEW isn't doing that great :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alex314 posted:

I'm really jealous of US prices of Dell stuff. The cheapest AW3418DW got in Poland ever was 966 € (usually $ = € when you add VAT). Rest of EU is similar. I've considered shipping from US, but then if I got a defective panel the trip back would eat all the savings. And returned products are a bitch to declare at tolls..

Go for a vacation to the US and smuggle it back in! That's what I do with all my tech stuff, the last being the Samsung Odyssey VR headset innocently crammed into my backpack.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sphyre posted:

And in 4K high refresh rate monitor chat:

Asus announces the PG32UQX (FALD): https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-rog-swift-pg32uqx-delivers-the-best-4k-hdr-gaming-experience-yet/

and LG with the 27GN950-B, which looks like the 4k version of the 27GL850B: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor
Aww just what the doctor ordered. Well other than the 5 grand it's gonna cost.

At this pace it seems like I'll have to suck it up and get a 27" screen like the LG and a pair of glasses. Actually 120 or even 90Hz would be fine too. But there isn't such a thing right now, is there? It seems that until this CES batch ships, there isn't any 4k >60Hz option, or am I missing something?

E: has anyone used the Philips 276E8VJSB? It's the cheapest 27" IPS 4k, if I'm not getting what I want it might at least be cheap...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is "IPS glow", some amount of it is inherent to the technology. As you say, it comes out looking much worse on camera so it's hard to say if you have an unreasonable amount of it.