Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I finally got the time to listen to the Konnan show last night and as expected it owned. I wish they brought him on more regularly, as he is easily one of their best guests.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

oatgan posted:

I'm not saying Dusty Rhodes should be scripted, but it's a dick move to leave someone who sticks to the script completely out to dry by surprising them like that.

Some of the best scenes in film history have been done exactly like this though.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

oatgan posted:

How many hundreds of thousands of improvs have been left on the cutting room floor? Raw doesn't have a second take to use if something flops because one guy decides the segment everybody agreed should be done a certain way could be even better without letting anybody else know.

Steph has a right to be mad at him but until we hear that they fire Dusty or bury his kids over this it doesn't sound like a big deal.

Do you think if Dusty asked her if he could do that they would have changed it? Dusty didn't want to look like such a wuss, as they have made pretty much all faces who have gone up against Steph/Hunter look, so he called an audible and made the segment better. Not a big deal really, but I liked that he didn't come off as such a dumb baby as most faces have been lately. Steph can be mad all she wants, but one of the best promos ever improved the segment by doing what he did.

CombineThresher posted:

I'd feel more sympathy for Steph if she didn't suck at her job and turn herself into a Mary Sue every time she writes herself onto WWE programming. It's bad enough when HHH does that poo poo.

Also this.

LordPants posted:

And they sit there and tell you how poo poo you are at life to your face for 10 minutes while you have to stand there and take it. Which makes no sense in real life, or in wrestling terms either. Remember this is not Stephanie getting mad someone interrupted her amazing promo that would have been buys or going off script which ruined an amazing angle, it's Stephanie upset she couldn't tell Dusty how poo poo he was non stop for ten minutes.

And this.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

I've found the best course of action when it comes to Granny segments is to skip them unless they are contest episodes. Contest episodes are almost always fun.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

On today's show Dave was talking about how it took years for Shawn Michaels to get over while HHH kept getting pushed because he was tall and had good hair. Dave on HHH: "He got more chances than most people who didn't click on their first 5 or 6 pushes would get". I laughed so, so, so hard at that line.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

rovert posted:

Some upcoming podcast announcements:

CM Punk will be on WTF with Marc Maron on Monday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO-b7SeI7EM

I remember them talking on twitter about Punk being on the wtf podcast back when he lost his smile and was taking time off. I wonder if they did it back then and Maron's just had it in the can since.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Please change the topic to Wrestling Podcasts: "How are the BroMans any different than Kamala?"

They still have both of their feet.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

You can throw Mick deteriorating before your eyes up close into the dating equation too. Poor Mick. :(

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Just don't read People's Temple apologist sites they will make you sad and angry.

I shouldn't be surprised that this exists but I somehow am.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

I wonder how many surveys are going to have exactly what I put: Todd sucks, his opinions are terrible and he adds nothing to the site.

poo poo, I just realized that I should have put 'Stop using Todd Martin' under the 'What would make you pay more money for a subscription' section.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I put "better guests than Todd Martin" since it seemed more constructive than "Todd Martin is the worst part of this site, at least I can laugh at Joe Babinsack."

I did put that I hoped Dave lived forever and that Bryan, Vinny, Craig, Granny, and Coughlin on the Sin Limite show were are all great. Then I said I skip all Todd Martin shows because every one of them I have listened to has been terrible. So that is kind of constructive I guess?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

I will be shocked if we actually learn anything about Cena. Dude is a loving WWE robot.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Karl Stern has cancer. :(

Colon cancer. Malignant tumor. Sounds pretty big.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 14, 2014

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

You guys realize that Dave keeps the juno email because everyone has that address and Dave doesn't want to lose contact with people, right?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It's pretty clear he still uses it as his primary email service.

And it is working. Checkmate. :smug:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Mob posted:

Cornette has lots of good qualities but I can never take seriously a man who thinks his tweets brought Brian back to life on Family Guy a month after he died

If you thought this was serious, then all the Kenny Bolin poo poo on the show is serious too.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

does bryan write any part of his own newsletter anymore

Nobody reads it so what does it matter?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

If you bought a physical edition, you can email ECW Press to get a digital version too. Check one of the back few pages for the details.

Thanks for pointing this out. Precious packing space on my vacation has been saved!

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Don't shut off the Bryan, Vinny and Craig show before the shout outs.

Seconding this. Go out of your way to listen.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

A true masterpiece.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

epitasis posted:

greater is him pushing the young bucks in two different categories

They name a move after him and now Dave won't stop talking about them. What a mark.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

ch3cooh posted:

First 30 minutes of the second part is hot roller derby talk

:neckbeard:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

"I'm not trying, don't ask me to explain their booking now. I mean if you want me to explain Gedo's booking, I'll try. If you want me to explain their booking, you know, it's like I can't do it anymore,. What do you want me to say? It's dumb, okay?"

- Dave Meltzer on WWE's booking of Dean Ambrose

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Alain Post posted:

given what's happening to Reigns, I can't tell the difference between bad booking and intentional burying anymore

Dave said that the promos are made to humanize Reigns (Why? Isn't he supposed to be a badass?) and that Vince is the one personally doing them. He actually thinks they are going to help Roman Reigns become a star, so this isn't a burial.

My own commentary: Vince is in full Al Davis mode and poo poo isn't going to get better until he is gone or dead.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Good line in the newsletter this week.

This is pro wrestling. It could have been a hand or an egg containing Akebono.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Dave is hilarious. All hail Dave.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

How long does it usually take for the Dave and Bryan angry at PPV post-show to go up?

Dave and Bryan shows are posted at the earliest 4am - 4:30am EST, but closer to 5am in my experience.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

I'm glad he sounds like less of a piece of poo poo nowadays, but Shawn Michaels is an rear end in a top hat and will always be one in my eyes because of the Davey sister story.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I laughed a lot about how often Bryan said he didn't intend to do this again for a very long time, and then one day he said it on a show with Dave, and Dave says,"I was meaning to talk to you about that...." and now this happens.

Dave has kids to feed dammit.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

I believe the mismatch thing was about Baby Doll, who was a main event valet that was dating/married Sam Houston (brother of Jake "The Snake" Roberts) who was a prelim wrestler/jobber.

Skinty McEdger posted:

I forget, who was it that Dusty buried the gently caress out of because he married the valet that Dusty wanted to bang?

Yep, Baby Doll.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 10, 2015

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Dusty is a patriot and could not stand anyone who rejected the American Dream.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Hace posted:

sometimes I wonder if the dudes who do the tv reports are aware of how hard they try to be snarky.

Gotta show how you are in the know and not a mark bro.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Not exactly the same thing but I'm pretty sure Vince once demanded the Hart Foundation give him a shoot Hart Attack which led to him getting knocked out.

If I remember right they were all at some party with other wrestlers and he took all of their finishers as well.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

I'm catching up on Karl Stern shows and the Terry Funk drop at the end of the 3/27 show is amazing. Terry Funk is the GOAT.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Piper was one of the guys he had specific issues with during their feud (and wrestlers were pretty loving racist in the 80s.)

WWE management is apparently still pretty racist, but the wrestlers are less so now! Small victories!

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Tato posted:

This was great. I'm not pullin' this stuff out of Fantasy Island.

All the goofs on twitter calling Dave out because they can't read/listen gets to him.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Alain Post posted:

When was the last time someone seriously used a camel clutch before Rusev?

Steiner?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

You are all princes and I love you.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

IC match was very bad, but B&V saying it was worse than the Doomsday Cage from WCW is blasphemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Lid posted:

There was a moment in this match where four people stared at each other for thirty seconds unmoving.

The Doomsday Cage Match made nearly every heel in the entire company look like an idiot because Hulk Hogan had a massive masturbatory ego trip. This Elimination Chamber match wasn't good, but will do nowhere near the level of damage to business or be anywhere as stupid as the Doomsday Cage match.

• Locked thread