Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

I reffed three beginner level beer league hockey games tonight and one of the teams was all hacky and slashy and they had a fuckin guy heckling the refs in the stands. Like yelling really loud. Serious business.

In Colorado I watched a fan get ejected from a game for taunting and threatening a referee in a beginner level game. Rink staff had to come and physically take him from the rink. If I remember correctly, the call was against the team he was rooting for but it was only something like an interference call, nothing huge. It was one of the more :psyduck: moments I'd had in that league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

^^^ lol 2 of the calls I made that this guy was carrying on about for like 2-3 minutes at a time were pretty clear 2 min interference calls too.

This guy had a voice that just carried throughout the entire rink and every time anything happened to the team that he didn't like he was just all BULLSHIT WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU BITCH/DICKHEAD (depending on whether myself or my partner called it).

I did figure out though, when a guy barreled over the goalie and I called a goaltender interference on him and he was all "But I just lost an edge!!!" it shut him up pretty quick to be like "I think you're a better skater than that" because he didn't want to take the ego hit to argue with that. Yeah that's right I can play your dumb mind games too.

Man, I do not miss playing Bronze/D/Beginning/Whatever. Then again, it's not that the upper levels have these problems, they just seem to be fewer.

e: I English good.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 7, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Keys to not smelling like rear end after pond hockey:
1) It has to be like -20
2) Don't wear too many layers that will warm you up
3) Don't skate too hard

Being drunk helps with #3 so I'll be doing that. Plus we can't afford to win so there's no incentive to go at it with gusto. I'm pretty sure playing in the medal round on Sunday morning would mean roughly $2,000 in forfeited flights back to our respective homes.

You have me skating for you guys. We have nothing to worry about Sunday.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

An EASHL team becomes real. I haven't yet decided if this is awesome or downright :spergin:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aMBfU_0ziI

I plan to wear this all weekend while blasted. :manning::fh:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I'm confused -- coaches? What kind of league/level is this? And sweet play to end the game, you totally made that happen!

The development league here actually has coaches on the benches and a few organized practice sessions. I'd guess it's that.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Lake Placid rinks being plowed.

:woop::woop::woop::woop:

Looks so purdy!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Zip! posted:

Meanwhile, in the North of England, there is an ice pad smaller than your average neutral zone that they use to play 5 on 5 amateur league hockey on. The rink is so small they can't use a zamboni on it and instead resort to using a tractor with a freezer unit to resurface the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctl5A702h4M

I've scored a hat trick there from behind our own goal line.

This is about the size of the rink I played on every winter the few years I lived north of Denver.

They use a full-size Zamboni on it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Sweet!

Work trips around hockey own if everyone can separate themselves from work and actually play.

What area specifically? Would be an interesting alternative to doing a formal tournament. You'd get more ice time and more convenient drinking time. Maybe I will put that together next year depending on how Can/Am runs this years tournament.

Well they're already better at registration than USA Hockey! :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

The Neighborhood @ Lake Placid

Front row L to R: bewbies, rednender, sellouts
Back row L to R: Bradf0rd, Pleads, Hockles

e: Linked and added names.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 27, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

HZ, the smoked visor is the best call. When the suns out it is amazingly bright and it does a great job of being the perfect tint to not be annoying. Also much easier than sunglasses.

It was so bright the rest of everything was washed out. Then for the afternoon game it was dark grey again.

I had planned to wear my sunglasses inside my cage but they wouldn't fit. It'd take me a good 5-10 minutes to be able to see inside again. The tinted visor is a really good idea for pond hockey.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

A goalie with a visor would be a fun concept though. Less concussions am I right??? :v:

You have to actually play to get concussions.

sellouts posted:

We had a full time goalie skate out for one of the first times. We don't care. Skill levels will be varied and don't really matter to me or anyone that went. Especially if it was enough to put together 2 teams there's going to be variations. Also if we play in a real tournament we will get our asses kicked because that's what happens when you play against guys who grew up together and now work together at Tito's Auto Body Shop.

It wasn't the first time I'd skated out...

...just the first time in a few years.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 28, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
For anyone questioning if Hockles did indeed do the jump deke on the first take, I present to you the full video of us just messing around after a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87rhPw4OPQI

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

tell hz to keep his stick away from your head next time

:stare:
It's like EASHL came to life.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

I forgot how sweet these jerseys are. Hello new default rink jersey.

Just wait until you get to explain what it's from.
"Yeah, they're designed after my Internet hockey team's jerseys."

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Pfft. Only way to get off the ice is head first over the boards.

This is my preferred technique when I'm rushing to the bench for a delayed penalty and my team has opted to ignore me yelling at the bench.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Took a full slap shot off the ankle with four minutes left in a game we were losing by six. Thanks, dude, you totally needed to try to get that shot through me from the point.

And I totally needed to put you in to the boards as we pursued the ensuing loose puck.

So instead of coming home to have a beer and relax on XBox, I am taking an NSAID and going to bed. Following one of the best weekends ever, this entire week has been loving miserable. Goddamn.

I guess we need to head back ASAP! :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I have laughably poor flexibility so I prefer a 10 minute warmup. I can do it in 5, but I like taking my time so 10 minutes feels "right".

Welcome to league play. You're only really ever going to get five minutes at best. The league here in Austin only gives me three minutes which is pretty much 1) Let ice finish freezing, 2) Get in net and take a round of shots, 3) Go stretch, 4) Take another few rounds of shots (if time permits), 5) Scuff up/fix crease. On a good day I get through 1-3. :(

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

You forgot the part where instead of shots, dudes just deke you.

Oh right. I forgot those because I just sit there during those. Honestly, this team I'm on now is good at not doing the Warmup Shootout Challenge.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Pond hockey bros, thoughts on this? Will you ever really complain about indoor ice again after skating through cracks that are deeper than your runner+holder and cause your boot to scrape?

I'm pretty sure these cracks making me fall are what cost us the games. :manning:
Sadly, cracks excluded, the ice on Mirror Lake was better than what I had in the crease upon my return to goaltending in Austin but I also wasn't trying to puckhandle in Lake Placid.

HZ those are some sweet jerseys. I'm looking forward to the stories and photos from up there.

xzzy posted:

Wife and I spent a few days in RMNP a ways back and after a day of hiking at 9,000+ feet, when we sat down for dinner I was shoveling food like I was 17 again.

This was the best part about camping in RMNP. That and getting drunk super fast.

If possible, I'd advise flying into Denver a day or two early to acclimate to at least 5280'. My mother-in-law flew in one night, drove up to Winter Park @ 10,000' the next day, and immediately got altitude sickness for the first couple days of her vacation.
Are you guys staying up at Red Feather or down in Ft. Collins?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

If your place has a hot tub, bring swim trunks, if not, :smug:

Depending on the temperature there, it was nice to have on a thermal layer under street clothes when going out.

Camera.

Spending cash.

Canadien Rye.

A jock.

You forgot cigars.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Thanks for the pond suggestions, dudes. I've got so much poo poo packed already. How do airlines handle stick bags? Right now I have my hockey bag, suitcase of clothes and my stick bag. Really don't want to have to pay $30 each way for my sticks...

The sticks were tricky. Depending on the airline, the airport and their policies, it either counts as an accessory with your hockey back and is no extra charge or it'll get charged a bag fee. Pleads and rednender had no issues getting their sticks from Saskatoon and Seattle but the guy at Albany was having issues with the computer not making them get charged. I cheated and just borrowed one of Hockles' sticks (he drove to Lake Placid).

Clothes-wise on the pond, I was good with just thermal baselayer pants and a long-sleeve thermal baselayer under my gear. I didn't wear a hood or neck cover at all and never felt cold and it rarely got into the double-digits temperature-wise. I was also wearing some thick hiking socks under my skates. Liners under the gloves are a must, though and I'd fill your water bottle with hot water if you can. At altitude you will need that water.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

So we all got winded walking up 2 floors to our condo for the weekend. This is going to be interesting.

Welcome to Colorado! Tried drinking yet?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

-40 goal differential after 2 games. Ain't no thang. We got this.

That's it?

19 o'clock posted:

I'm never drinking beer again after this. I've already lost my voice and the tournament just began.

That sounds like a quitter. Are you a quitter?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
HZ looks like you guys had a blast while losing, which is what we did. :hfive:

sellouts posted:

I really want to put together a 5v5 team for a tournament in Montreal next year but that will probably be too much. I just hope I can make lake placid again.

Do this and I don't have to skate out!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

L sounded pretty terrible. I better not get whatever supervirus you guys have.

Canadian Beaver Flu.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Petit.Conan posted:

Are you sure it wasn't 3/8?

3/4 is pretty loose, my local guys do 1/2 edging close to 7/16 as they're in house standard. Most other shops do somewhere in between 5/8 and 1/2 locally.

Wow, I do 5/8 to 1/2...as a goalie.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

Goalies playing with dull skates is 95% myth. Any goalie playing a semi-modern style with butterfly pushes is going to want very sharp skates. I'd guess the vast majority of goalies use around 1/2 inch, plus or minus an eighth.

Pretty much this. I got crazy looks last time I asked for 1/2" hollow. The ice in Austin right now has me running a 5/8, but I need that deeper cut to push off. Any goalie who runs shallower than 5/8" now is playing an old-school stand-up and doesn't push in the b-fly.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

delpheye posted:

I have stat envy. Our league doesn't even keep track of shots with any kind of reliability...

I don't think any league keeps track of shots with any reliability.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Sounds like they just don't have a rubber mat to get from your room to the ice if you're getting a room.

At Staples we don't get rooms, just chairs and black curtains. In Austin at the expo center we got dressed in a double wide and walked out in the heat over carpet and into the back of the rink. Hilarious.

Now in Austin we get to play at the Cedar Park Center (home of the Dallas AHL team) and a few times we just got black curtains and rubber mats with folding chairs. Lately we get to take residence in one of the visitor locker rooms divided in two. It's pretty tight, but it works and beats walking over carpet in the Austin heat.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

How should I go about tucking my jersey in/keeping it tucked if I also wear suspenders? The jerseys for our team have not been finished, and I've been assigned a temporary jersey that is larger than one of Rosanne Barr's mumus. I tried Googling and the suggestions either require too much work or aren't very descriptive and/or helpful.

Why are you tucking in your jersey?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Because it's larger than one of Rosanne Barr's mumus.

LEARN TO READ, JEEZ.

My question is still relevant.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Sellouts had a team in last year and we got locked out this year. A shitload of people who have been going for multiple years got screwed over by their retarded registration process.

Which was great, because sellouts and bewbies both said LP was better than the Eagle River tournament (in most/every way, I believe, but guys refresh me if Eagle River actually did anything better)

Does Eagle River have a bobsled and skeleton run? Does Eagle River have Liquids and Solids?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Those kids were totally playing the early ice times, I bet there was a shitload of awful adult hockey in the evenings that we didn't bother to check out.

We were too busy eating duck cracklins, steak, cod, shrimp, mussels, scallops, or salmon.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Guarantee to be bad with that + no AC running.

That's a big reason why if you're going to skate around a professional game, do it before the game.

And don't skate in TX.

I got to skate at Pepsi Center before a game and the ice was incredible. We get to skate at the local AHL arena in Austin quite often (weekly) and the ice is rather good. Meanwhile, the other sheet is so cut up you can hardly see the lines. So yeah, don't skate in Texas.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
So this happened during a game last night:

But hey, at least he's not concussed!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Hey Brad, was that fool wearing a mouthguard by chance?

Nope, just a visor.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I was second man in on a rush this morning, first forward is our best player so he drug every defender with him into a corner. I'm all alone in the slot, perfect pass right onto my stick.. and I wrist it right in the goalie's crest. :negative:

Better to do this and one-time it instead of playing with the puck to get it just perfect. Don't give the goalie time to set up or figure out what's going on. At least you got the puck up on him.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Flyinglemur posted:

So there's four of us driving an SUV with the equipment trailer. 75% off the occupants apparently love country music and Christian rock I've had an hour of sleep and am now questioning the existence of my higher power.

Tonights game is going to be...challenging.

This sounds like a job for beer!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chemmy posted:

Nothing feels better than eliminating the ringer team.

I have done this as a goalie and it is indeed one of the best feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

cenzo posted:

What's everyone stance on chirping in beer league? Chirp when chirped upon? Ignore it? Chirp because it's fun?

I chirp as a goalie at a few players that I know and drink with on the other teams. They chirp right back and it's all in good fun.