Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gooch181 posted:

I just set up Eduke for the first time and I was wondering what you all would suggest I do to make just the normal atomic edition of duke 3d as baller as possible?

The High Resolution Pack should do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

moms pubis posted:

I started playing Quake's single-player campaign again, and maybe I'm just a baby but that game is still impressively harrowing and intense even today, not least because of the amazing score. I'm starting to remember why I loved it so much the first time I played.

It still gets pretty intense at times especially on Hard\Nightmare. Makes me happy that id is considering doing another Quake in the same vein as the first one.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Also greenlit: Fortress Forever, a fan remake of Team Fortress Classic on the Source engine.

Oh man, I really hopes this gives this game a bit of a boost. I actually played TFC on a decent server a few weeks back and (despite the crazy spam sometimes) it's just as fun as I remember. No one really plays FF right now from what I understand, which is a shame because I love the way TF2 looks but I got sick of all that crafting\hats\special items poo poo.

I just want loving vanilla CTF drat it. :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Thanks to that book, every time I see John Carmack I imagine him battering down doors with his battle axe. Masters of Doom is awesome.

I would pay David Kushner so much god drat money to see him do a similar book about 3D Realms. Would love to see just how hosed things got throughout DNF as George Broussard's company just comes crashing down around him. :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Getting some friends in on some Zanondrum survival co-op this week and a few of them have never played much Doom which got me thinking - what's the average difficulty most people play at? I see a lot of people posting here talking about getting annihilated on Hurt Me Plenty, but I'm only ever challenged on UV+Fast monsters.

Still haven't decided what WADs we're going to play, as I'm sure that will factor into it, but I'm just trying to get an idea so it's not just me alive at the end of every single level. :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Back To Saturn X is pretty great and pretty to look at.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34944

Nice, I'll have to check that out. I thought I had a giant folder of wads buried somewhere on an external hard drive but I can't find it, it's giving me a good chance to pick out only the good ones though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Survival horror game made in the Quake 2 engine Doom2 engine :psyduck:

http://wadaholic.wordpress.com/

So that's something. Can't decide if it looks cool or poo poo.

I know this was on the last page but I want to echo the reaction on how impressive this looks.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I've found what I think will be the mod I use for general doom playing: Smooth Doom.

It doesn't change gameplay at all. The main effect is the doubling of the number of frames of every animation, which makes a surprisingly large difference. It also adds some minor cosmetic effects like shell casings and blood, all of which are toggleable from a settings menu.

It's not done yet but I really like it as a "change nothing but make things look a little nicer" mod.

This isn't getting enough love - these kinds of mods are exactly what I'm looking for nowadays and the sprites look so drat good in this.

Jiro posted:

I'll do you one better and post the Sonic Clang version.

The Sonic Clang soundtrack is amazing, their version of E1M5 is the loving best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xnUWmmgPM

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Smooth Doom just updated again, now with a much better trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=virD-uLknLU

100% Vanilla gameplay, but with a lot of GZDoom visual goodness. Most of it is toggleable via an extra options menu.

Edit: There is one tiny gameplay change now, and optional in the menu - you can opt to make Pinky demons a little faster, because they're kinda chumps normally.

Vanilla monster variants seems like a really nice touch.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is amazing\hilarious

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Played Quake Live with some goons yesterday, it's really not too bad, but I still can't stand the lightning gun nerf. :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some great "Stupid Newbie" avatar replacement material

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pretty sure it's Blake Stone.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Elman posted:

Do people still play Quake 3 Arena? I downloaded Quake Live after it came out on Steam only to find out they added weapon loadouts that kind of ruin the game for me (you can just spawn with a rocket launcher and never run out of ammo).

...Wait, what? When you spawn with a rocket launcher in your loadout you only have five rockets, what mode offers infinite ammo? :psyduck: You can also pick up any other weapon you want, you're not limited by the loadouts.

Aside from the lightning gun bullshit, the new changes really aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Yeah, it's still stupid they have the classic mode cordoned off in a way, but letting people start with a rocket launcher/shotgun on respawn in FFA hasn't had too much of an impact on my ability to stomp pubbies as I have a pretty healthy win rate and KDR at the moment.

I kind of like spawning with at least something to defend myself with as opposed to getting immediately poo poo on with a machine gun pea shooter but I was never a pro Quake player so YMMV I guess. :shrug: The auto bunny hopping is really funny as people still can't figure out how to do it, even when all they have to do is hold down jump now. If anything its made a lot of players worse because they end up jumping into walls constantly.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vakal posted:

Some speedrunners have been picking up the original Descent games lately and they are a pretty fun watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/spootybiscuit

Hahaha, he's using the midi soundtrack instead of the music from the CD? :cmon:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

I hate Descent II's CD soundtrack, I set up D2X-Rebirth to use MechWarrior 2/Ghost Bear's Legacy/MW2 Mercenaries music instead. Also Descent 1's proper soundtrack is midi. :colbert:

Buttrock is the only rock I need when blowing poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlZmPIK3S0

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

laserghost posted:

Wait, what?

MINIMUM:

:(

gently caress man, I know, Windows 3.1 was working so well :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Linguica posted:

In the Doom games, the sprites for the doomguy, trooper, and sargeant all exhibited mirroring at certain angles, i.e., the front-left view was just a mirror of the front-right view. This is evident in the way that the gun jumps from one position to another:

However people have known for years that full rotations of those sprites existed at one point, because the original Doom manual actually showed some of the missing frames in the cast section:

Anyways, one thing Romero managed to dig up and release was the full rotations! Rejoice!

It would be awesome to see the full rotations back in the game, particularly for something like SmoothDoom.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That writeup by Joe Siegler is really interesting but one thing...

quote:

Marianna Vayntrub – After ROTT, she married Mark Dochtermann, and they have two kids, named Rhyme & Random.

:wtc:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

It's basically Doom 3 BFG minus Doom 3. As an extra bonus it has the Master Levels

So it's basically a better deal than Doom 3 BFG. :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Descent 2 ... terrible sequel

:what:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

even if you think Descent 2 is a bad game (lol if you actually think this) the industrial buttrock soundtrack more than justifies its existence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepWlu1Vy7M

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

catlord posted:

Interceptor's Duke Nukem: Reloaded, I assume. I didn't see a gameplay video though, so I'm not sure.

What's the deal with that anyway? Gearbox or whatever came out and said DD could release it, just that they couldn't make any money off of it or something along those lines?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Sadly, Night Dive Studios can't get NOLF rights to re-release 1&2 :(

(sorry for the kotaku article but it's what Night Dive linked)
http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Edit: I decided to check for psychal copies of it on amazon.es, play.com and amazon.co.uk (wich doesn't ship to spain). I'm kind of bummed because I'd love to replay them.

Jesus christ what a ridiculously stupid situation

gently caress video games

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

The only issue I have with ZDL is that it flat-out refuses to remember the last folder I was in. Every time the Open File dialog opens up, it's in the folder ZDL's running from. No exceptions.

For some reason it picks and chooses when it wants to remember on my computer, I have yet to figure it out. I don't really use too many wads or addons outside of SmoothDoom these days though.

Love my vanilla Doom the way God intended. :spergin:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

After loving Masters of Doom I picked up David Kushner's other book, Jacked. This one is about Rockstar and the development of the Grand Theft Auto series. It's pretty telling that a guy who sent his cat off to die for autistic reasons, and the doofus who sank Ion Storm are far more interesting and sympathetic characters. The Rockstar guys just aren't very interesting, and their attempts to be cool are laughable.

It's an interesting book but it concentrates too much on the Jack Thompson bullshit. Wish it had spent more time with the Rockstar dudes and how they made their first games, even if they're not as engaging as the id dudes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

EvilDrWong posted:

Doom 4 is a sure sign that video gaming as we know it is a dead artform. It looks like its a game about shooting things and opening doors. Thats not what Doom is. That's a mockery of the legacy Doom has left behind. Doom was never about guns, monsters, running, grunting, or even the suspicious face with the shifty eyes. No. Doom was about carefully picking things up off the floor, like a single parent with twin five year olds. It was a thinking mans game. It was barely even about shooting, monsters, or hell. It was about carefully managing things on the floor. You'd run around a level, notice a thing, then pick the thing up. If you saw four shotgun shells sitting by a lamp you would remember them and go back when you needed 4 shotgun shells. Whenever you saw a squiggly green line floor you'd try to recall where you last saw the body condom, you'd strategically head back and get it. Whenever you needed a screaming face orb, you'd calmly and tactically return to the last place you saw one. Because you made all the choices, and the only choices to make in Doom were what floor treasures you picked up. You see, it was all up to the player 20 years ago. The game developers didn't have a story. They didn't have a pre-planned path. No cutscenes. No linear levels. They barely even had games. It was all about giving the player choices. Do you choose to run away when the flying meatball burps a skull at you? Do you go down the hallway with a smasher in the ceiling? Do you open the blue door after you get the blue skull? It's up to you. The developers left it completely open ended. Nothing like games today - You're railroaded everywhere you go. Oh gee, another brown hallway, wonder if theres a door at the end. Hey, look at that a skeleton, I bet I have to shoot him. An empty room with a switch, which wall is going to open up? Hmm, this area looks pretty wide open, how long before Im stuck in here fighting 30 monsters? It's sad that the scripted E3 hype demo video is nothing like the Doom I played when I was 11.

This is a funny post.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

truly the worst part

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BoredMarc posted:

What do you all think of Lovely Planet? It's on sale and I kind of want it. I like first person platforming.

Lovely Planet is a lot of fun

I also thought Rise of the Triad 2013 was fun too. :shobon:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SparkTR posted:

Also mean that Turok 3 and Rage Wars might also finally get PC releases. I really wanted to play those games to finish the series, but my god I cannot wrap my head around that N64 controller.

Turok 3 had some cool moments but wasn't all that great. It did have some pretty impressive cutscenes for being on the N64 at the time, though.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Reminder that the only reason Goldeneye didn't get a 360 or other rerelease is that Nintendo refused to accept the free money they'd have gotten.

Video game companies are stupid as poo poo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah for Doom on Android, this is your best bet. (It's not on Google Play.)

Why did the app end up getting pulled from Google Play, anyway?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember Turok 3 having some pretty impressive facial animation in its cutscenes for a game on the N64.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You might be thinking of Duke Dead Quick, which is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAFWfXy5vU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

newmans_owned posted:

a good buddy of mine shared this with me:

WADS of WADS

Haha his hat has IDKFA on it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'll only donate to the new Not Descent if they get a soundtrack as :krad: as Descent II's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlZmPIK3S0

And that main theme too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksPiXWw-SRE

:black101:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Devolver is going to be publishing STRAFE, which I'm pretty sure is a surprise to no one. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0dV69ISlU

This looks fun as hell but jesus christ 2017? :psyduck:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat, I'd love a new Day of Defeat.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gullah jack posted:

I agree. I really miss the version of DoD before they went retail, 3.1b I think? I've been running a 1.3 server for the past four years until people finally stopped joining. You can still find some dads playing DoD 1.3 on weekends, though. :gbsmith:

3.1b for life - I remember being pissed at them for removing bleeding and nerfing the Garand among other things. And they somehow made a few of the weapon models uglier in retail than in beta :psyduck:

Source was still fun but they way they changed up the weapon classes was dumb, I used to love using the Carbine but they restricted it to the rocket class and gave it like two magazines.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What's interesting is the beta footage of the 32x version floating around. It looks like it could have been a fantastic port if it was given a bit more time to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Doom was heavily rushed to hit the 32X launch, to the point of flying John Carmack in to basically camp out at Sega of America's offices. IIRC the 32X launch titles had a pretty bumpy ride to release on account of proper devkits taking a while to get out there and documentation that was either lacking or in Japanese, so there's your reason for that version's, shall we say, lacking quality.

It never fails to astound me how incompetent Sega was during that time. :allears: