Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I rushed to this thread because I've been on an old fps kick lately, doing a run through of UT99 campaign (and drilling in instagib matches so I can land hitscan shots in tf2, didn't work) and getting cultic a few days after release because I missed blood the first time and I wasn't gonna have that happen again. It's honestly loving sweet and possibly a masterpiece when you realized it was a single guy. Great purchase, glad I did it. I have a feeling the speedruns are gonna be siiiick.

Anyway, booted up a physical copy (!) of UT 2004 and it's kinda great too; the weapons have a good feel to them, if not quite as iconic as the first one but above all I honestly prefer the level design for deathmatches seeing as I can both see AND generally find people. I don't think I'm gonna suffer through the single player though. The whole team management crap is just that and your teammate AI is garbage. Even 99 had better bot reactions. A lot of milling around and staring off into space while red team takes the point 5 feet behind them in domination. Just frustrating. And I'm kinda over CTF as a format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The new morpheus in 2k4 was a huge let down

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I prefer Quake 3 to UT but both are still the best arena shooters ever.

I preferred UT in the day (and still honestly do) but I think I liked a lot of quake's deathmatch levels more? They just felt better for duels. I'm not sure anything in quake is as bad as fetid sewer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the UT games after 99 felt like they had shifted a bit towards quake (and a bit towards halo) in an attempt to cover all bases. what I liked in UT99 over quake 3 was the feel of the movement and pacing of the combat, which made it a bit better for the team gamemodes. quake 3 CTF and such always felt to me like it just devolved into an absolute clusterfuck because of the small size of the map and high speed of the players. personally I like objective modes better than deathmatch, but i think quake 3 had the better pure deathmatch experience and deathmatch levels.

i forget who did it but theres an absolutely intolerable TED talk by a guy from epic where he talks about how they messed up Facing Worlds when they remade it for 2k3/4 by putting too much art in so players got lost, which is why it was much less popular.

what he doesnt mention is that they also made the map 4x loving bigger, which does something to the flow of a map. its just this completely asinine argument and he makes it so smugly

the other thing missing from 99 in later games is the absolutely loving banging music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TJmLrJEzM

i really miss every level having a distinct music track in games, i am pretty over reactive music at this point

I used to love face back in the day but I've grown sour on CTF over the years and anyways it was always generally won by whoever had the better snipers, which is far and away my least favorite fps weapon/class/role. Too many games just end up in long grinding stalemates in overtimes that last forever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We've talked about it before, but it was brutal being on dial-up until 2004. After multiple failed attempts to download TacticalOps overnight, it was fun to discover that the bots weren't particularly good with the custom game (no surprise in retrospect) and I might as well have spent that 8 hours downloading, I don't know, 100 MBs of that dancing baby animation.

It's why I played so much RTS instead. God I would have loved to have been on the ground floor of the HL mod scene

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wasn't as big of a fan of UT2k3/4's "Double Domination" twist on the formula, which is the cardinal sin for which I will never forgive them.

Yeah it's much worse. It could just be because I'm playing it in single player atm but you're basically at the mercy of your bot allies to get their heads out of their rear end, because the opposite team is on point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I always wanted to play return to castle wolfenstein back in the day because it apparently had solid MP but I'm gonna guess that scene is completely dead nowadays or filled with people with 5k hours of experience.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

IronicDongz posted:

I magdumped my damage up+full auto sniper rifle into the final boss and it was honestly pretty good

there's almost no other situation you'd actually want those mods, but w/e

I didn't because ammo for the fg42 seemed a little scarce. Do they drop more, not less, in the higher difficulties?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

manero posted:

Finally playing Cultic, it took me playing through the whole demo to get a feel for the gameplay and movement, but the game owns. I dig the ludicrous gibs.

Is there any significance to the tent in the first map that says, upon inspecting, "This tent seems different than the others" or whatever?

I bombed and tried to burn that tent because of that lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thinking about picking up Strafe, Prodeus, Dusk or Wrath for a boomer shooter fix.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Cultic rocks - the first boss was scary.

edit: can't stop playing this poo poo owns

A huge part of the reason why the game works is because it's actually got a good scare factor. It's creepy as poo poo in a bunch of places and if you weren't the angriest guy to ever refuse to die it'd probably be a lot scarier. There's places where the bait and switch are totally telegraphed and despite knowing what's coming it still manages to work

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Best single person accomplishment since Roller coaster tycoon? That might be a little strong to say since this is pretty much a golden age of indie games but it definitely feels right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No saves on my playthrough at that point yet, did the flamethrower have upgrades?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mill Village posted:

No and it doesn’t need them. Most low tier enemies die in one hit and the tougher ones only need to be doused for a couple seconds before they light up. The Armor and Incinerator enemies are resist to it, though. Harvesters will charge you when they get lit on fire, so watch for that.

What's a harvester, the lizard thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I believe the Harvester is the chainsaw man (and thus the wrapped bodies suspended from the ceiling where you first encounter one, the "harvested"). The blue gorilla is a "Brute" and mouth-tummy-man is a "Devourer".

Huh. Makes sense I guess. That a name you hear somewhere though? I'd love it if there's just a bunch of descriptor names because it's funny to me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Huh. That's a much better cast choice than who I had in mind

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I like how useful throwables are, esp lanterns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Point taken about the protag but the more I played the more I realized I literally crawled out of a mass grave in pursuit of a bloody vengeance crusade and that too is pretty badass

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

I think the hitbox for player thrown hatchets needs some tinkering with though, it's oddly hard to hit anything with them, so what should be a good way to conserve ammo ends up being something that barely gets used

God yes. I kept throwing axes at some idiot and could not land a one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I picked up my replay that I took off the burner 2 weeks ago just to see how I felt about it now and while the honeymoon period is "over" I still think the game is great and am baffled by the few opinions I see to the contrary. But I really don't like anything involving platform sections, especially those that require precision jumps. I don't know what it is but it's just frustrating at times. Fortunately they're not super common but it is a con

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

The weird thing is unlike a lot of FPS games it's not because of the actual jump mechanics, Cultic Guy can jump pretty good, the issue is that the hit detection for platforms(or indeed edges in general, it's really noticeable on those small spiral staircases for example) is really wonky depending on the angle you're approaching it from

Oh no you're right cultic guy (lol not as catchy as doom guy buy a mile) can jump like a frog on steroids. And it does seem related to the geometry obviously (most of you've played it)

e: now that I think about it, what's this guy's vert? Really does seem like he should be in the nba. I can jump out of a giant trench no problem

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 2, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Serephina posted:

It's funny, cuz when he said PvPvE the only example I could think of was Warcraft3, which made me nod in agreement. I don't even have an opinion on sniper rifles!

The creeps as a tertiary resource in wc3 were extremely well implemented though

Did anyone ever play that Chex FPS

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 2, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pennsylvanian posted:

Mr. Cultic dev, could you please release a difficulty setting that doesn't have the big, scary chainsaw guys in it? You can call the setting "Big Panicky 30 year old Pissbaby Mode" in my honor.

It's such a good bad guy. Everything leading up to his first appearance was great. Also that's the only time he actually got me I'm pretty sure. Got trapped in the back room because I couldn't see+shoot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Apart from the first chainsaw guy I loved the hedge maze ones in Asylum Grounds because I was not expecting them.

You didn't? I was expecting them the entire time. And it still took me by surprise. Thanks Zombies ate my neighbors!

If I'm doing the no damage, it should probably be level 1 right? No ghosts...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What upgrades are best for the extreme achievement on cultic? I tend to gravitate towards upgrading the shotgun as an all around weapon in lower difficulties because it's not just powerful but ammo is plentiful. I adore the rifle but I feel ammo is pretty scarce even when you're landing headshots one for one or even two for one. The sten is solid to upgrade just for spongey types but it devours ammo and since that eats into pistol ammo which is my long range pick off secondary (which I assume I'm going to be doing a LOT more of at this difficulty) it feels like a lot of points invested in a weapon that's really situational. I really just dont want to screw myself by poor parts management

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just ran past the first chainsaw guy lol. Hey, saves ammo right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

If you gib something and it leaves behind eyes? They do the same.

Does it work against harvesters? They are so tough in extreme. I have no idea how much lead I sank into them. Even dynamite feels weak

e: yeah, drop it with use, don't attack it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does the third fire mode for the dynamite have any actual use? Also, anything else have a third fire mode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Holy moly I think The Crypts is where things really start to get impossible on extreme. You get dropped into a very tight fight with those leaping zombies and a gorilla skeleton. There's no room at all to work. I kinda doubt you won't take at least some damage

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Idk, they seem pretty content to just charge through it in my experience. All the big squishy enemies don't seem to instantly catch like the cultists et al. And in the tiny area you're liable to find your own flame. I did end up getting him but it cost me 3 rolls of tnt and I'm dreadfully low going into the midgame boss battle. I'm maxed up on armors and health but at this difficulty it doesn't feel like much lol.

Also, those ghosts in the flooded room are horrible; there's really no way to get them without taking some damage.

e: squishy, meant spongy. Woops

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 5, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Not only did I not see the slam fire option for the lever action, I didn't know about the dynamite/molotov combo til my second playthrough. DOH.

I didn't know about it until that goon upthread mentioned it. It seems like it might have some use on Hard and under but on extreme it seems more gimmicky

Lemon-Lime posted:

The China lake slamfire is basically the same thing if you've never purchased it. It's not particularly useful in my experience since most things you shoot will die to a single grenade (especially upgraded) and big monsters are better dealt with with fire, but it is fun.

It wasnt a terrible idea to make it only 1 part since it's not a hugely important but also I wouldn't want to bump it without knowing it's there. I mostly use the grenade launcher for the tank :shrug: The abomination is much easier dealt with with fire. I did spend a bunch of points on a casual playthrough kitting it out with blast and frags so I could deal with the cultists in the chamber which is by far going to be the biggest hurdle in extreme I feel.

Anyway I scraped through the extreme tank battle after only one mid point respawn but I've only got 60 health and like, no armor to my name. I'm half tempted to do it over just so I could have something because so far the asylum grounds is stingy with armor and that stupid flame guy is going to be the death of me. Cornered me in the container unit and lit me up. Bummer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hell yeah now I'm an expert baby. Got him on my second try which is probably the fewest times it's taken yet. Dunno what that's about. I actually did dump some points in the grenade launcher again and even got some use out if it, if only for crowd control. Anyway, a few last thoughts: I would love to see this guy make or hell even just direct a more proper survivor horror game. He has some considerable chops at it. The room above the spawn in the asylum, where you grab the parts near the tv and couches, there's a door. You try the door because hey, maybe there's free goodies inside. Nothing happens but a click except half a beat later you get three knocks from the opposite side. Absolutely chilling. And the game is FULL of stuff like this. In the room where you drop into the harvester tunnel in the first mission, there's a bunch of glowing red eyes behind a cave-in. You can't interact with them and frankly, I'm glad for it.

Second, am I the only one who kinda hopes to see different weapons in the next one? The weapons as is are already great and have a good feel to all of them and a great feel for a few so I'd like to see them mix it up a bit more, especially if we get some proper occult poo poo. In any case, I'm super excited. Oh well, gotta go kill some idiot with a chair and do the survival achievement before I can wrap this up with a nice bow.

e: oof, only C in survival. Embarrassing. In my defense, I didn't even notice the mystery boxes until basically the very end. Probably gonna put in a lot of work with the hatchet for first 2 levels, save my money.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 5, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't someone find a chainsaw where it made a joke that it'd be awesome if you had gas

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So... the protag was imbued right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

manero posted:

I was farting around randomly on the first map of Cultic and came across this easter egg :haw: .. doesn't count as a secret though:

This is it! Where did you find it?

Also it's weird the stuff that's counted as secrets. Some are insanely hard and others don't really feel like they should be; the shotgun in the cabin in The Grave is one, but the rifle on the roof of the guard shack which I can almost guarantee had fewer visitors is not.

How are people flying all around the level with kicks?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 5, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No I'm asking if the protagonist was imbued and that's why he was revived and flies around the level with kicks and has a 8 foot vertical.

Also, is there some place to see how much money you've spent at the end of a survival match? It's kinda sucks to have an achievement with no way to see how close you're getting; I just S ranked the chapel and got probably 7 or 8 waves in but no dice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I don't like the whole timed shop thing they got going on. In fact other than the actual combat and the levels which work WAY better than I feel they should, I don't like several of the decisions of the survival. Starting with I can't see how much I fricking spent by the end!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I like how there's some sort of debate in a game that's basically man literally too angry to die. It's not a lot of lore mind you but it's compelling enough that you'll at least ask some questions. I deleted all my saves but I think I remember the note you find in the archives with the armor to be pretty interesting but I'm not entirely ready to do another playthrough just yet. I'm still mad there's no way to see how much you spent in survival

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I liked the beware of dog sign. I expected another one in extreme tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dexedrine pickups so he can pulp fools with his fists like doomguy with berserk