Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Reading Clash of Kings for the first time, and I gotta say, there's a lot more rape than I was expecting. You guys have made so much of it that I expected the reality to be far toned down but nope, it's everywhere. Off screen thankfully, and usually not referred to by name, but every second soldier and knight seems to have a thing for the unwilling ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://isadancewithdragonsoutyet.com/

Someone email the webmaster.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Someone who's read the thing: Any indication of just what the "Mereenese knot" might have actually been? GRRM would not shut up about the drat thing when he was making excuses as to why it took six years to write half of half a book, does it really involve something that seems it would have been spectacularly complex to write or a difficult plot to resolve?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I finished DWD

As far as I can tell nothing of note actually happened.

So what the gently caress was the Meereneese knot? It's not like it was enormously complicated, Dany marries some fucker to stop his buddies killing her people, there's an army camped outside, then she fucks off on a dragon. Tyrion and the Dornish lads are monumentally ineffectual and don't really do anything, then after she leaves the prince releases the other dragons and gets barbecued for his trouble. End of book: two dragons free, another with a rider.

THAT IS NOT A STORY WORTH loving AROUND FOR SIX YEARS TO WRITE.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Joramun posted:

(I don't know why Sarah Jessica Parker is flying to the moon in this picture. Though I don't really see any reason why she shouldn't, either.)

the gently caress is that from? I wanna read the "girl on a wolf jumping through fire also HORSE" book

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I like the one about the big fat man who's trying to lose weight so makes a Faustian bargain and gets a magic demon-monkey that steals all his food. As he gets thinner the monkey gets fatter until it takes over his life.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That is to say, if the gyrm dies the series should be left unfinished. Other people finishing series always end up being a giant poo poo all over the author's grave, or some barely organized anthologies of notes like Christopher Tolkien's 75 pounds of middle-earth literature.

The Dune sequels are just that, sequels, not finishing a planned story. I don't read Wheel of Time but by all accounts the posthumous continuation is considerably better than any of the later books in the series actually written by Jordan.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Urdnot Fire posted:

That's pretty Gurmy all right, but it's no New York Times Best Seller :colbert:

It was apparently the best selling novel on the PLANET for part of 2008.

also,

quote:

The title, which might be translated as "wetlands" or "damp areas," here refers to a woman's genitals

Myrish Swamp.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If it's cold enough for there to be a 700 foot wall of ice which never melts even in a decade long Summer, and everything North of the wall is colder than that, how does it have a growing season? How are there trees or wolves or people? what do they eat and when do they grow it? If you're trekking about in the snow and ice in the warmest season, you're basically in the equivalent of Antarctica and the most complex plants should be mosses and lichens.

I know it's all MY IMMERSION, but it's irritating because in Westeros proper and in Essos, GRRM does give some thought to poo poo like supply lines and cities needing massive areas of countryside around them to produce food, and what kind of culture different kinds of ecosystem produce. In the far North though the rules don't seem to apply just so he can have a stupid 700 foot ice wall and have rangers miserably plodding though snow in all seasons.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cirofren posted:

I can go along with Winterfell surviving with its underground hot springs/dragons along with much of the south, but I agree that thinking about the Thenns or someone like Craster surviving a north-of-the-wall-Winter it all just falls apart.

I have trouble with them surviving a North of the wall SUMMER. In the prologue of the first book, the rangers in the far North are walking through snow and ice, BEFORE the raven is sent that indicates the first day of Autumn. That means in Summer, it's regularly snowing North of the wall. poo poo don't grow in conditions like that. Westeros isn't Narnia, it's too grim and down to earth to handwave the question of how anyone eats if it's permanently snowing.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Not really though, Inuits have survived conditions much harsher than that, there are actual glaciers where those dudes live, there are sub-arctic forests which should be pretty similar to the frostfangs and they do sustain some game.

Arctic Summers are not snowy. I've been places where it's too harsh for real trees and there's just chest high scrub, and in summer it reaches ten, fifteen celcius, there's greenery everywhere, clouds of biting insects. That's not how the far North is described or shown in the books. It's under feet of snow before Autumn has even started. The white ravens for the end of Summer are sent out in Clash of Kings, everything before then is Summer, the far north should be wet, green and the air black with mosquitoes.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Thulsa Doom posted:

I hope that HBO pressures him into "rushing" the next book and in retaliation he writes a complete unfilmable mess where zombie Jon kills Others by jamming Melisandre on his cock and shooting burning fart gas from her mouth like a flamethrower while Daenerys completely abandons the concept of clothing because she's a fire god or whatever.

You say unfilmable, I say "did you SEE the most recent season of True Blood?". There is very little that HBO would consider unfilmable.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Thulsa Doom posted:

That's not even remotely close, I don't hear anything about dicks. Or fire.

There was also buck naked vampire goddess emerging from a puddle of blood and wandering around totally naked and covered in blood. Also lots and lots of vampire deaths, which involve graphically exploding into piles of viscera. And in previous seasons vampires kill and mangle innocent people then gently caress while covered in their blood.

It's a nice family show.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So does the non-spoiler show thread get a massive flood of book based spoiler photoshops like ten seconds after they happen on HBO during a live-watch?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Every chapter should start out with the POV character being woken up by morning sunlight. All of them

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If you want to take 9 hours to tell a story, make a TV show!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The book is $4.95 on Amazon for me, am I doing something wrong or did the price go up?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Joramun posted:

It shows up as $3.17 for me (the $0.18 difference might be NY sales tax or something, I dunno. Amazon is weird like that).

Ah, probably some UK thing then. We have pretty high VAT so that might be part of it

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Dragons are the motion in the ocean?

But yeah, don't think too hard about literally anything to do with the erratic seasons. It will never make sense.

Unstable binary star system bitches!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helliconia

(except that doesn't work as there isn't a second sun, unless it's a cold brown dwarf or something that doesn't radiate but still messes with orbital mechanics)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dr. Platypus posted:

It seems like he might be on the path to redemption though.

Which of course means he's gonna die in the opening chapters of Winds of Winter.

ie, never (am I doing this right?)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Aurain posted:

This is a GRRM book.
She had sex with the dog, and GRRM masturbated while thinking it up.

It is known.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Personperson14 posted:

Oh come on, I'm sure everyone in this thread has had the mental picture of GURM furiously masturbating behind a typewriter before.

Right?

I've read The Pear Shaped Man

So what I'm saying is yes.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shoehead posted:

I think they are up to 999 including Jon. It's GURM though, so every number is either too high or too low.

When Mervyn Peake wanted to suggest an insanely long dynasty that had been around so long an entire insular and incredibly complex culture had formed around it, he settled on the number 77. Obviously Earls of Gormenghast tend to die of old age (or owls) not be killed by ice zombies, but 600+ is loving insane.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Four weddings and, like, eight hundred funerals.

(actually, there ARE four weddings aren't there, Red, Tyrion, Joffrey and ikklefinger. It's a very weddingey season/book)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Getting off bookchat for a moment, when is a Gash of Quims going to be finished?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Just watch Candyman and Hellraiser like everyone else

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fog Tripper posted:

If only there was a substance that one might make a chair that looks like swords that is not the actual substance swords are made from. How much do you imagine a horse goes for?

You don't have to buy the horse. You can just hire them from the horse place. Anyway they do have horses

Also a three storey chair would have made blocking out the scenes really hard, and looked really loving dumb.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Everyone who is going should go to a thrift shop first and pick up a GRRM costume.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
All my children will be called ~*~Daario~*~. The Tildes and Asterisks will be part of the official spelling on their birth certificates.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

quote:

I'm a slow writer, I've always been a slow writer, and these are gigantic books."

*initial 2 year gap between books stretches to 6, or 11 if you count what was actually planned as one book*

I'm a slow writer, so the best thing I can do to ensure that I achieve the only thing my fans actually give a drat about it spending my time doing anything else I can possibly think of, generally involving football and editing horrific rape-based superhero fanfic, or perving on actresses.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Roy Dotrice is the Wildest of Cards. And wait until you hear his Missandei.

Everyone gets a foreign and/or regional accent.

Grey Worm is something approaching French, I think Dany is like Irish or something and most of his Lannisters are Welsh.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5UlB4Yw1wQ

Number 1 for seven weeks. For reals.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 13, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

redshirt posted:

I think the rule is, bag on the seat till there's no single seats left, and then it's a battle of wills as to who will voluntarily move their bag, or only do so if asked. If you look freaky enough, no one asks.

Exactly. I saw some posts on that Tumblr or a similar one in the old SJW thread, and most of them seemed to be about people taking up extra room when there were plenty of two-seaters completely empty. You're ALLOWED to spread out when it's not bothering anyone, it's only when you're spreading into seats someone actually wants to use that it's obnoxious. If you're on a train and the next stop is an hour away, and everyone is already settled, go ahead and take up an entire 4 seater AND the table, it's fine!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
He needs one of those life coaches that forces you to stop procrastinating and getting distracted and actually makes you sit down and get poo poo done

Y'know, like Kathy Bates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
hello bad thread is it out yet?