Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A nice price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah dang

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was kind of hoping for an iMac as well but this makes sense

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Let's see some ZBrush demo

edit: ok some 3D stuff thrown a bone.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm getting flashbacks when the first Intel Mac introduced was the iMac and people were all "whaaaa" because it wasn't a pro machine

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now introduce an iPad Pro XXL with a 22" screen and an M1 chip for desktop art please :pray:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aw dang thursday big sur drop

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

holy poo poo
edit: bringing back Hodgeman for that last bit was fun

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I think the $1249 Macbook Air is gonna be the sweet spot computer for most people.

Yeah I think they were right to go with the MBA and the Mini for people who insist on desktops for a first gen run. I will expect the MBP to get a faster refresh than those two.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LionArcher posted:

So what apple computers or products do they not make that this thread wants them too? (Don’t say anything about loving gaming and your weird college research job involving a .001% use case of data cluster that costs the college or research institution 75k). Give me some real products that would be useful.

I'm going to quasi-break your rule on niche things and say 22" desktop model iPad. The iPad is becoming one of the best digital art tools out there- the apple pencil beats any other digital stylus in existence and the iPad has almost no lag when it comes to drawing and such. Apple would eat Wacom's entire Cintiq line by catering to digital artists who want a larger area to work on instead of having to pan and zoom all the time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There are finally some games I'd like to try out on Apple Arcade and a few months ago I got a new M1 Mini to replace the ancient one I have hooked up to my TV as a media center. What are the current recommended game controllers that work with Big Sur/M1 Macs?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

PS4/Xbox One.

DualSense and XBox Series X controllers are coming in 11.3.

Are there drivers I have to look for? PS4 controllers appeal to me since I have a couple of them

Edit: I've never used apple arcade but I have it with the package deal on apple's services so hey.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah dang that makes poo poo easy. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

njsykora posted:

Nope, most wireless controllers are built into Apple devices. Personally I like the 8bitdo controllers, and they have a new version of their Pro controller with a format switch and rear macro buttons coming out at the end of the month. I've heard they're iffy with iOS and Apple TV, but specifically have MacOS support. No reason if you already have some Dual Shocks lying around though.

Thanks for this as well, more options are always better! Too bad about so-so iOS though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Not gonna lie, I’ve always kinda wanted the ashcan pro, in fact I still do and this is not helping

Hell I still kind of want a NeXT Turbo Color slab.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mediaphage posted:

lol the imacs look great, you people are loving weird

they're going to sell bananas

It's this. I don't even need a new iMac at all but drat that purple one is tempting as hell.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

always fun to read these event threads after the products in them go on to massive success

OG iPad thread is a treat

The iPhone thread was the same thing lol

"IT'S HUGE WHAT BULLSHIT"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hatty posted:

Purple is the ultimate color for electronic devices. It’s scientifically proven

:hmmyes:

Watching the full cast now (I missed most of it due to an appointment) and hot drat the new Apple TV is nice as well- the color balance is great and FINALLY a loving nice remote!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

I dunno, I think the M1X/M1Z/M1HAL3000 upgraded chip there's been rumors about for ages is likely being reserved for when the 27" iMac models make the jump to Apple silicon, and it makes sense for them to adopt the 'Pro' naming convention, imo.

I'm just dying for them to announce them already :negative:

I think it would look nice if it was fully consistent? E.g. a light blue that isn't just the back and chin, but also the same color for the bezel around the screen. It's the white that kinda throws things for me but at the end of the day it's just nitpicking, the new design does look fun and refreshing. I know there's a silver option but an all-white model would probably look really nice.

Yeah I agree- I would love if they had a black bezel around the screen but eh. I am interested in seeing the 'pro' iMac that comes eventually with a larger screen.

edit: I'll bet a bunch of bananas that a third party will come out with a black-edged screen protector for the new iMac by summertime.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh poo poo I didn't know that the MTrackpads were going color as well. I need to replace my 1st gen one so hey that's cool.

I wonder if the new keyboard with the touch ID will work with the M1 Mini as well

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Interesting that the low-end M1 iMac has no wired networking, it's WiFi only unless you want to waste one of the two available TB/USB4 ports on an Ethernet dongle.

Hmm, there's pink but I can't get a race car red IMac..

If these are anodized aluminum there's only so many colors that can be done but yeah red is of them. But since it's electrochemically altering the color it's only specific shades really. There's nothing stopping you from actually doing auto paint on the iMac and actually going for a candy-apple red other than throwing your warranty out the window.

Binary Badger posted:

No reason why it shouldn't, the M1 Mini does have a Secure Enclave..

Noted, it's not available as a standalone product at the moment, but I expect it will be.

Yeah I'm hoping that they come along by summertime.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Doesn't Apple have a thing when it comes to product placement that villains can't use their products? Heroes have iPhones. Villains have Androids or "hacker" phones.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Like him or hate him, Tarantino was smart for just making fake products to put in his films. Red Apple cigarettes aren't product placements but also make sure you understand that if they are in one of his movies, then that is a movie that belongs to the same 'universe'.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here's betting that third party power bricks will eventually show up doing just that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm going to hopefully ask here because the ipad thread was murky- I'm going to try and upgrade my 2019 iPad Pro to the new M1 model next month. Does apple take trade-in units in the physical stores at all, or is it mail-in only? I want to go that route because I also have a pile of apple gift cards I want to put towards it at the same time, and handing over the ipad as I pick up the new one would make things a lot easier.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

My point is that a living room is part of the 'public' space of a house; the place where you have guests over to entertain them. It doesn't look nice to have your computer plonked in there, it's... unprofessional, for want of a better word, and makes you look like a teenager living in a dorm. Much like you wouldn't have your ironing board set up or laundry/mail strewn everywhere when guests are over - the difference being those things can be put away before people come over whereas a desktop computer can't. I would agree that having your computer in your bedroom isn't ideal either - the perfect scenario is to have a room set up as a home office space, that way all that stuff is out of sight of guests and also doesn't make you feel like you're having sex in the office if you have company over; but plenty of people don't have the luxury of a spare bedroom in which case I think putting it in the bedroom is a better compromise than having it in the living room. Sleep hygiene is a function of discipline more than anything else. Turn your computer off and don't pick up your phone once you've gone to bed. While you're at it, get out of the habit of using devices or watching tv in the dark - well lit rooms = awake time, darkness = sleepytime.

If your home is really so cramped that you have no choice but to do your computering in the living room, I feel like you should at least be considering using a MacBook rather than an iMac so that you can put it away somewhere when it's not in use.

Holy poo poo lmao

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My 2015 MBP is... fine... but honestly I'm tired of it running hot, it's weight, and honestly I mostly use it for a poasting station. SOMETIMES I use it for Clip Studio Paint, Affinity Photo, and Capture 1 (these are probably the most heavy load apps I run). I have 16gb of RAM in my machine, but I'm really thinking of turning it in for an M1 MBA. Now that it's been out for a long time, what are opinions on using the Air with such apps as I mentioned before with an 8GB machine? Should I just order the 16gb RAM version and wait since it takes longer to get?

edit: I might be dumb as hell and get back on FF XIV as well, but I don't know how it runs on an 8bg machine

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks for the info. More than likely if I did get back into FFXIV then I’d probably use it on my M1 mini that I use for a media center in my tv, but it was just a thought.

Thanks all!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah my rule has generally been "between 5 and 7 years" for a laptop and it's worked out pretty well for me for a long time now. Honesty I would have replaced my 2015 MBP that I'm still using a while ago but 2 things: COVID hosed me in 2020 and then I spent every cent of new computer money I could on my new 12.9" iPad Pro M1 earlier this year. I'm still thinking of replacing this thing but honestly my main complaints with it are not big enough yet to really spend a bunch of money.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Would it be that because the image is being stretched to fill a certain percentage of the screen and therefore looks like crap? In other words if displayed at its original smaller resolution it would be tiny on your screen because the screens pixel density is so much higher.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is MacOS still based on the Mach Kernel?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Inshallah

I want iBook colors on the MacBook Air and I want them now

:pray:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Baronash posted:

I want nothing more than for this to be an Airtag refresh or something.

Return of ipod socks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Good news: Anker just released a 120 W USB-C charger with four USB C ports. Only $120, what a deal!

Bad news: you have to janitor your connections according to this rather complex chart or you'll blow up all your devices.

Lmao

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well I was planning on finally getting a macbook to replace my early 2015 MBP so neat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was just coming here to ask similar stuff: I'm looking at getting the new M2 MBA to replace my aging 2015 MBP. I'm not terribly familiar with performance of the M chips when it comes to ram so I was wondering if I would be comfortable with the base 8gb. Frankly I'd mostly be using it for shitposting, video watching and MAYBE doing some work on Clip Studio Paint with it. Should I be fine more or less with that? I know our shop's 7 year old i7 iMac runs like poo poo with 8gb but with the newer architecture I've heard you don't need as much for light tasks. Yea? Nay?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

It depends on how many years you plan on keeping the Mac. Junk after AppleCare runs out? 8gb is fine. As long as the logic boards allow you? 16gb.

Yeah I'm a 5-7 year per laptop guy. My iPad Pro gets more workouts when it comes to graphics app use. I'll still think about it. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d go with 16gb. How much storage were you looking to get?

I'm definitely getting the 512gb storage, which really fits my laptop needs more than anything else; the 256 or whatever it is is not enough at all. I still have almost 150gb of room left on my old MBP drive, most of the main files I have are at home, in the cloud, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

It started ticking with the first M1 machines

Yeah now that I've gotten rid of my 2015 MBP I'm detached from any intel stuff. It's a little wild. Of course I've been a casual Mac user since the Motorola days.