Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Palooka posted:

my mom said she prefered Irreversible.

Was this said before or after seeing it? Because the later is something you never want to hear from your mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mystery Men. Ignore the Smash Mouth, but Mystery Men.

Seconding this. Pretty much every character in this film was fantastic. And that includes the hero with the fart power played by Paul Rubens, which is like #1 on the list of 'Characters Which Will Likely Be Terrible' (it helps that he only uses his power only twice in the film, and only once in actual combat).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Also, the weirdo cat whisperer dude calls cat owners "cat guardians" without the least hint of shame.

It's no more bullshit a term as 'pet parent', which has practically become industry standard in pet care.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sarchasm posted:

I'm convinced The Walking Dead is still on the air because it had a really good series premiere.

I'm pretty sure it's more to do with the fact that zombies are still unexplicably popular, and it's the only (edit: American) television show I can think of that features them.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 11, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

mr. stefan posted:

Trigun is a pretty decent series that fits those criteria, its set in this wild west-type setting where there's ruins of advanced technology and engineering but humans only have reliable access to 19th century level industry. Its about two insurance appraisers trying to track down the most dangerous man alive so they can limit the destruction he causes and later becomes a reasonably well done rumination on the idea of pacifism and nonviolence in an inherently violent and cutthroat world.. Whole series is on Netflix.

Seconding this; I have a weakness for shows/films that successfully balance zany, madcap antics with serious discussions and deconstructions of morality and ethics.

If you're not sure you want to dive into 26 episodes, you can watch the Badlands Rumble movie (it appears to be listed as simply Trigun Badlands). It's a spoilerless side story that does a good job of condensing all of the themes of the show into 90 minutes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Khorne Flakes posted:

Top of the Lake took like every category it was in at the Golden Globes. If you were hesitant on watching it, this should help reassure you.

Um, they got two nominations, and one win. I think you're overexaggerating just a bit.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I would gladly pay for HBO Go if I could pay for just that, as opposed to cable service PLUS an HBO subscription.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sir Kodiak posted:

even if making trash is profitable enough to allow you to lose money on a prestige show and still keep in the black overall, why would you bother? Why not just make the trash and use the extra money to buy hookers, cocaine, and Mazeratis?

I'm also not sure how this squares with streaming-only shows like House of Cards being reasonably decent.

Ideally, prestige show draw in profits in the long term by drawing attention and accolades, as well as by being able to sell the show again later, whether it's to the home video market, streaming networks, or syndication (although syndication seems to be dying out thanks to the previous two). In the short term, though, you need low-cost/high-return 'trash' programming to balance the quarterly network budgets.

As far has House of Cards goes, I'm pretty sure a good portion of that show was funded by product placement, considering how much it contained.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I have the opposite problem where everything just looks like it will suck (it's called 'Being A Cynical rear end in a top hat'), so I just watch reruns of MST3K or a nature/history documentary.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

FLEXBONER posted:

This is awesome, although I'm disappointed that For a Few Dollars More is missing from the trilogy.

Same here, especially since it's the only one I don't already own.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

JebanyPedal posted:

The Disney version of Robin Hood was really disappointing, the only good parts were the Whistle Stop intro, the folk song in the beginning, and then not much else.

I watched this a couple of nights ago; and, yeah, it hasn't aged well.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm about 10 episodes into The Twilight Zone and it mostly owns, but some of the episodes definitely feel like they'd work just as well as like a two page short story.

You're going to hate season 4 then (or at least you would if it were on Netflix; Hulu's got it, though). They started stretching them out to fill an hour-long time slot, and it really shows; apparently even the writers hated it. They go back to the original format in season 5, though.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

precision posted:

Any recommendation for "bunch of scientists go on an adventure" movies? Preferably old ones? I'm talking about stuff like Fantastic Voyage or Andromeda Strain, those kind of old flicks.

There's Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) up.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

WastedJoker posted:

Two of my friends refuse to sign up for Netflix because they think it isn't worth it while urironically eating a burger King meal that cost them more than a months sub.

Medullah posted:

I had a friend once tell me I was throwing my money away doing Netflix, as we sat at the bar and he was on his fourth $6 drink of the night.

I think the lesson learned here is that people are generally terrible at assessing value.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I mainly pay for Hulu Plus so I can stream on other devices. It's nice to be able to watch their content on my iPad while doing dishes, or on my TV so I can use the PC for other things. (Note: I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime, for variety of content, and all together its still a fraction of the cost of cable TV).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I would certainly not call Ghostbusters one of the greatest comedies of all time. I would, unreservedly, call Ghostbusters one of the greatest films of all time, though.

This is because Ghostbusters isn't fully a comedy. Also because that film defined my childhood the way Star Wars did for many others. (Edit: That, and Back to the Future)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Joshlemagne posted:

I have kind of a soft spot for Dragonslayer, which was recently added.

Also it looks like they finally have all three of the Man with No Name movies streaming, if you want some classic Clint Eastwood action.

About drat time, For A Few Dollars More has been a gap in my trilogy-viewing for far too long.

And Dragonslayer is an awesome film. :hfive:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sarchasm posted:

Stop your grumbling, Venture Bros. Season 2 is finally up on Netflix US.

But Seasons 3, 4, and 5 are not, so my grumbling shall continue unabated.

(I actually have all the DVDs up to season 4, and I plan on buying 5 eventually. I'm just annoyed by how Adult Swim insists on such strict rationing for their programming.)

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 15, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Tharizdun posted:

You literally explained why Adult Swim rations their programming in the same parenthetical that you complained about it. Adult Swim knows that their target market is twentysomethings with disposable income to blow on box sets they're never going to watch but like the idea of owning, so they make it easy to get into a show and expensive to get access to all of it.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. Are you suggesting that it is inappropriate for me to complain about something that already understand?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

LloydDobler posted:

True Lies is peak Arnold. Up to then every movie he did was pretty much better than the last to the point where he was such a huge icon. Far more than riding on Terminator cred, he just had that charisma and presence that put butts in seats. But Kindergarten Cop was his first truly funny performance while True Lies perfected it. His comic timing in dealing with the Bill Paxton sleazy car salesman sub-plot is absolutely flawless. As well as being an excellent part of a comic ensemble.

After True Lies it was a downhill slide of weak action/sci fi scripts, phoned-in performances and cash-ins. Sad, really.

Going to second this, and add that True Lies is also peak Jamie Lee Curtis AND peak James Cameron (the later is just my opinion, but I stand by it).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

regulargonzalez posted:

You forgot peak Tom Arnold. I mean this most sincerely.

Oh god, you're right! How could I have forgotten! For that matter, it's probably peak Tia Carrere, as well.

All this is really making me want to watch True Lies again. It is literally the last great entry on the careers of everyone involved.

(edit: okay, Tia did do Lilo & Stitch, which is one of my wife's favorite films, so I'd have to give her that.)

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 29, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

While I do really love True Lies, nah son it's Wayne's World all the way.

While I certainly had many an erection for Tia in both WW films in my youth, in retrospect she did very little other than being a motivation for the protagonist. Give me villainous Tia any day.

morestuff posted:

Peak Tia Carrere was that Relic Hunter show.

Yeah, I watched that show back when I didn't have cable, and Hulu and Netflix streaming did not exist yet. Those were dark days. (i.e. It wasn't that good of a show)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well obviously peak Stallone is Cliffhanger.

Personally I'd go with Demolition Man, which came out later that year (according to IMDB), but that's just me. I also haven't seen any of his newer stuff, which from what I've been told he's been going through a bit of a renaissance.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mr. Maltose posted:

There aren't any mountains in Demolition Man.

My original response was going to be 'Yes, and there aren't any taser batons in Cliffhanger; what's your point?"

Then halfway through typing I finally got :thejoke:

And now I just feel like an idiot. Thanks a lot.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

marktheando posted:

I don't know man, I haven't watched Last Airbender, but the clips I've seen from it are shockingly terrible looking. I agree that his earlier movies look good though.

In theory, that could just mean that he blows at CGI-driven films AS WELL AS writing (again, just like Lucas).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Samfucius posted:

Speaking of Jeffrey Jones, my family has our own personal cult classic in Mom and Dad Save the World. It's not on Netflix but for some reason despite how stupid it is it's really funny to my mother and me. Sometimes we still call people "Earth Dick".

The Light Grenade gag is one of the best running gags ever filmed.

Edit: Pick Me Up

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 29, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

mod sassinator posted:

I never saw Baron Munchausen or Time Bandits as a kid and after seeing them later in life, I feel like a part of my childhood was withheld from me. Awesome, awesome flicks.

I saw Time Bandits as a kid and I remember it freaking the hell out of me, especially the ending. I almost feel that, unless you were jaded/desensitized early on, you really need to be an adult to appreciate what that film was doing. But then again, I was an overly sensitive child, so my perspective may be skewed the wrong way.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
After all of the fanfare The Running Man received in this thread a month or two ago, I can't believe it hasn't come up once in a discussion of Stephen King adaptations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Wolfsheim posted:

Someone once recommended Inuyasha to me this way. Inuyasha.

Did this person have a vendetta against you, or something?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The subs on the triplets of belleville are sound effects only. I mean, its not like it matters since the movie is mostly silent, its just kinda wierd

I would say that it was for the hearing impaired, but if you're hearing impaired you're going to lose out on so much from Triplets of Belleville that subbing the sound effects is almost insult to injury.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Tokyo Godfathers is leaving Netflix on the 1st, and I recommend giving a watch if you can find the time tomorrow. Rather than calling it an 'anime for people who don't like anime,' which gets repeated here often and is essentially meaningless, I will say that it is simply a very touching film about friendship, family, and forgiveness that just happens to be animated and from Japan.

It's about three homeless friends in Tokyo (grizzled drunk, runaway girl, and transgendered woman) who find an abandoned infant on Christmas Eve, and spend the entire evening tracking down her parents. Very funny and very moving, please check it out if you can.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Inudeku posted:

Doesn't it also have a graphic male on male rape scene?

......no.

I don't know what film you're thinking of.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I'm watching Nature's The Mystery of Eels, and it has one of the most flat, unenthusiastic-sounding narrators I've ever heard. His words are that of someone passionate about their subject (which he claims is genuine), but his voice sounds like he's reading a phone book while on lithium. Also, it's less of a documentary on eels, and more on local commercial eel fishing, which is disappointing.

Edit: This is why I should really read the member reviews before watching random documentaries; every one of them are on how insufferable the narrator is.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 11, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I've warned all of you *several times* not to watch Sharknado but you maniacs just keep lining up.

Congratulations, you have uncovered Asylum's entire business model.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

A MIRACLE posted:

I have heard that there are people who don't like 30 rock but never met one in the wild.

I don't dislike 30 Rock, but I've had zero interest in watching it beyond the handful of episodes my friend has made me watch.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ghetto wormhole posted:

Most people still love the two acclaimed directors that are literal child rapists so it's kind of surprising how badly Mel Gibson hurt his career with mere words.

It's probably because directors are behind the camera (most of the time, at least; I haven't seen many Woody Allen films, but I believe he still likes act in a lot of them). There's something viscerally different between watching a film made by an awful person, and film starring an awful person.

It could also be that Allen and Polanski's fanbase is comprised more of people who would consider them 'connoisseurs' of film, while Gibson's fanbase has been comprised of a large, more mainstream audience. So when the latter fucks up enough to create a backlash, it comes from his key demographics, which directly results in smaller box office revenue. Meanwhile, the former two can commit actual felonies and receive lesser repercussions, because a larger portion of the outrage comes from people who wouldn't be seeing their films anyways.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Franchescanado posted:

I just got free HBO with my cable service, which gives me a year of HBO Go for free. I'm looking for a list of shows to work through, kind of like a Best of HBO.

I know Game of Thrones is huge right now, but I'm currently reading the first book, so I'm going to wait for that one.

I've also seen Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Flight of the Conchords, which are some of my favorite shows.

I've heard True Detective is good, and someone said it's like my favorite show of all time, Twin Peaks. Any other good recommendations?

Deadwood, Rome, and Bored to Death.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Nihonniboku posted:

Sure, there are good ones. Like many things, there are exceptions.

You do have a point here, that point being an accurate description of Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crap). Your main fault is in applying it to horror films as though it were exclusive to that genre, when the entire point of Sturgeon's Law is that it is universal, so pointing it out in a single genre is 'ultimately uninformative', to quote Theodore Sturgeon.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Rad author. I really dug More Than Human, what's some other top-shelf Sturgeon? I heard Godbody is solid, anyone read it?

Confession: I am a poser who's never actually read any of his work. It's just a really good analysis of how genre fiction works.

Sarchasm posted:

That seems hopelessly optimistic.

Maybe because the quote was from over 50 years ago? I'm sure the internet and current state of mass media has contributed a lot toward diluting those numbers.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

david_a posted:

Invaders From Mars is a weird movie. It starts promisingly enough, but the plot really falls apart in the second half with way too many contrivances and cute coincidences. I don't really get what audience they were targeting for this either. I assume kids around the protagonists age were a focus (and they probably wouldn't mind the script falling apart in the second half), but as someone mentioned earlier, the monsters in this are pure nightmare fuel for impressionable kids. I know it would have scarred me if I saw it at the right age...

I did see it a the right age, and it did scare the poo poo out of me. I also loved it. It's the same with Ghostbusters and Gremlins; that kind of film was pretty common in the 80's. Back then filmmakers seemed to understand that children could take and even enjoy a good amount of horror, as long as they left out the gore.

• Locked thread