Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

landis posted:

If you like the stock launcher and only want for dock customization, try Zeam. I'm running it on a Nexus S without issue. No fancy stuff like extra widgets or tons of customization, just a simple and lightweight launcher.

I wish there was a way to arrange the app drawer on zeam, so I can shove all the mostly-unused stuff onto the end of the list.
Had a go at taghome, but that FC'd within 2 minutes, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

THF13 posted:

That is the ideal solution but my friends use facebook pretty extensively to communicate and plan things so I don't want to get rid of it entirely. The app looks like it can let me use facebook while making it more difficult for someone to see old posts that I have no reason to keep on facebook.

Commit Web 2.0 Suicide and start a new account.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

bull3964 posted:

Home Depot seems to be showing maps in my area as well.

In 3 years, I can see you doing a product search on google and them giving you navigation directions to exact shelf the product you want is sitting on.

Tesco were experimenting with this in the UK at one of their stores.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tunga posted:

I'm trying to create a really simple interface for my mum to use on her first Android phone. I'm looking for a simple clock widget with the following featureset:

Stuff

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you want Minimalistic Text. It's a little fiddly to set up, but otherwise great.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there a widget/app or some way of pulling the current this month's data usage from the ICS native data usage monitoring? I used to use 3g watchdog on gingerbread, but I'm hoping there's a way to just read the already-gathered data without having to run another app that'll sit there watching my network traffic for a second time, generating unnecessary wakelocks.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Cakefool posted:

Yes & sort of - I just checked & "weather forecast location" gives me a county (Derbyshire) rather than the nearest city (Derby). I'm not sure what exactly it would report in other countries though.

Why not use the Met Office official one?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Computer Control posted:

How can I make my stupid Galaxy S2 act as a regular drive when I connect it to my PC instead of a 'Media Device (MTP)'? Sometimes I can browse the memory card and internal memory through my PC this way, but most of the time it doesn't show up at all (tried different USB ports, doesn't seem to make a difference).

Settings > Wireless & Networks - More > USB utilities > [Connect storage to PC]

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dirtyfrog posted:

What's the 'safest' app for tethering without being rumbled? I'm on t mobile UK if that makes any difference, and wanting to tether my rooted N7 to my rooted GS3.

If you're on an existing contract, you should still be able to tether fine.
If not, tether normally, then use a useragent switcher so your desktop looks like an android browser still.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

FISHMANPET posted:

There shouldn't be any problems on that front if I tether a tablet (Nexus 10) to Nexus 4? I hear the Nexus 4 has built in tethering even without rooting. I'm in the US.

In theory it shouldn't even be detectable. Probably. After all, you're attaching an android to an android, which will send android browser IDs. Androids all round. Android.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rolleyes posted:

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but when I tried to find a dedicated device all I could find was sketchy looking stuff on ebay or even sketchier looking stuff on websites which were clearly not legit. I have to admit I was surprised, I'd have thought there'd be more about. I'm in the UK but wouldn't have thought that would make a difference, they're perfectly legal.

Maplin had dedicated cams for this last time I was in there.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

EbolaIvory posted:

Free Offline Navigation apps?

Anything good anymore? I could just tether my phone to the tablet, But I was more thinking I'd like to not rely on a data connection for an upcoming trip. I grabbed a trial of Sygic, Which will last through the trip. But a more permanent solution would be awesome.

Dug a bit through the thread, But jesus its nearing 300 pages. I realize I can use google maps, but when driving across the country downloading section by section will take all loving day unless theres something I'm missing to just download the country in total.

You could have a play with the android version of GPSMid.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Even with flow off, I think back-swiping will delete whole words, too.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Skam posted:

What does one weather want me to do? Clicking the notification just launches the app and I can't get it to swipe away

Have you tried the official met office app?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rolleyes posted:

There's an official met office app? To the Play store!

Edit:
Ok this is excellent, can't believe I wasn't aware of it.

The only real issue I've had with it is that the manual refresh button on the widget is bloody tiny.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Montalvo posted:

So I bought this Galaxy S2 second hand and it's in pretty good condition but the battery life seems so shockingly short to me (this is my first smartphone). I keep the brightness at the lowest level and have wi-fi and sync turned off, and I make sure to kill all my unused apps but even then it dies after about 6-8 hours. Is this normal? Should I be doing something else? Should I buy a new battery?

I seem to remember that from stock, picasa was trying to sync constantly and annihilating my battery. Find betterbatterystats and see what's keeping the phone awake while you're not using it first, then see about a replacement battery.

Also, absolutely make sure that the replacement is newer than your phone and hasn't been sitting on a shelf for a year. Li-ion batteries slowly lose total capacity over time, even just sitting on a shelf. No memory effect, but there's that, instead.

ed: there's been an update to Gmaps come through in the last day or so. Make sure you're up to date, restart your phone before you charge it, and see what happens.

eded: wait, if this is Voda UK, just use Kies to check for updates, mine's on 4.0.4. You'll want it installed anyhow, because there's a big update (4.1 or 4.2, can't remember which) in the pipe.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 26, 2013

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Red Suit posted:

I don't get much service from the inside of my house. What's the best wifi texting app? Preferably one that doesn't advertise itself after every message I send.

What about getting a femtocell so you've got a good signal in your house?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anyone play an instrument? Want a poo poo-hot chromatic tuner on your phone so you can tune-up demo instruments before giving them a go, impress people at parties by telling them what key they're whistling in and so forth? Want one that's also got a big goddamn pile of other nice-looking visualisations that can help you spot stuff like your ukulele's action being off and generally have other people look at your phone saying "oooh, shiny!"?

I've been using PitchLab since getting a ukulele at Christmas and if I wasn't so frugal about the phone battery, I'd completely forgo a clip-on tuner for it, it's that good.
It's listed as a guitar tuner, but it's got profiles for most stringed instruments, and you can add just about anything else by defining a custom instrument.

Whoever the author is, they're drat good to get all it does in under 300k and bloody generous - it's completely free, no ads, no nothing.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

bronin posted:

What weather apps do you guys use? I used to have the wetter.com app but tried out the new accuweather and weatherbug apps yesterday. They both look a lot nicer than the wetter.com app. I settled for weatherbug but I'm still kinda on the fence because every weather site/app shows different temps/forecasts.

Personally, the UK Meterological Office official app. Might not be the prettiest, but it's the only one that'll give forecasts down to small town levels.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Essobie posted:

That's my biggest complaint so far. It has no problem allowing me to put 5+ shortcut buttons on the bottom row for things to do while reading a mail, and the side buttons are out of frame.

I haven't even checked to see how much it costs. If it's more than 5 bucks, I'll probably go back to Google's Email at the end of the 30 days.

If you do that, beware. If an admin kicks off a remote wipe on your account, if you're using Touchdown, it'll just bomb that. Stock email? Kiss all your phone's contents goodbye.

ed: it's £12.77 here in Blighty, but I'd willingly cough that up for safety's sake.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Swiftkey's on sale, half price from the looks of it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

LiquidRain posted:

My dream launcher is something where I hit the home button and get a list of apps that fly in from the side. (think Action Launcher but without the desktops) There's dock apps that are out there, one made by the folks behind Sleep as Android that I tried, but I can't find one that also replaces the home screen.

Basically I want Meego. :-( Any ideas?

Nova (and presumably pretty much every other launcher) lets you set the home button to open the app drawer. Just ignore the desktops.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tunga posted:

How would my phone know whether your phone is currently able to receive a data message?

The same way google does it now - a periodic heartbeat ping. You can spot when it doesn't get through on a connection that's firewalled to gently caress - you stop getting new email pushed to you, but you can still manually refresh and your wireless notification changes colour (on a nexus 7, anyhow)

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Anjow posted:

I'm interested in the above too, with the addition of the feature of being able to keep trying to send a message if there's no mobile signal (should have checked signals before buying this house...).

I didn't know the best place to ask, but does anyone know a good source of 1080x1920 wallpapers which are actually sharp? I've found plenty of sites with wallpapers of that resolution, however so many of the images are just low quality ones that have been blown up and are either pixellated or have JPEG artefacts. I want to have something that really takes advantage of this screen.

How about using Muzei.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MaxDuo posted:

Well when I first got it, it went fine and wasn't sluggish or anything. Now it seems to almost freeze and just nearly stop all the time. My Droid3 started doing this after a year and a half and this one started at about half a year. I figured it was from upgrades aimed at faster phones but.... this is still lovely. I wouldn't have this problem if they'd just make a Droid5 or another good phone with a physical keyboard. Shame it looks more like they're just never going to do that again.

Might I suggest a factory reset?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Speaking of ES - Sliding Explorer looks nice - lightweight, root, not-ugly.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has anyone else on 4.3 noticed a drastic improvement to idly battery usage since the recent Maps update? My Xperia SP managed to do 0.1%/hr over Sunday night.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Rusty! posted:

I thought Moto added the option to turn it off in 4.4.3?

Yes they did.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, how does one go about hiding one of the groups of contacts that come along with the rest of my (wanted) gmail contacts?

This is a Moto G on 4.4.4, by the by.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

GokieKS posted:

In the People app, there's a "Contacts to display" section in the settings.

Sorry, didn't explain that enough. I've already hidden the group, so People won't show it, but that didn't carry through to the Dialer. The dialer full contact list shows every contact whether or not you want it to.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rolleyes posted:

Just quoting myself in the hope someone might be able to help me out!

How about BBC Weather?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, can someone tell me what's the catch with Textra? No ads, no IAP... There's a company behind it, so its not just sharing a labour of love with the world. How's it being paid for? Anonymous stat uploads?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there either a preexisting widget that can do a countdown to the same day every month, or one of those build-your-own sets that'll do it?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What am I doing wrong with pushbullet if texts aren't showing up on my tablet?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Skarsnik posted:

There currently isn't a way of texting from a tablet

Mightytext can, and its the only thing I miss really after moving to PB for everything

Oh, well. Time to go buy tasker then, make my own private email2sms gateway.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What about Simple Calendar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

LastInLine posted:

The problem is the same thing I'm having as I'm off work this week and the next: You turn off that alarm then forget to reenable it the night before work.

Mad question, but why not set an alarm, to remind you to switch the weekday alarms back on?

• Locked thread