Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well that's interesting. Found out About Schmidt had a bunch of scenes filmed in/around my neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Kathy Bates was nude in your hot tub.

She was nude in her own hot tub, down the street and around the corner.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have 5 0 invites for Aviate. PM me with email addresses. This is a goddamn beautiful launcher.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 15, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

saphron posted:

Coworker just mentioned it this morning, and it looks loving gorgeous. Sent you a PM!

sent!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

All out!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

How is this better than the already alphabetical listing of the apps in the app drawer?

Because it scrolls vertically instead of paging horizontally. It also has clearly identified letter groupings.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You can cast practically any streaming video from your PC to your Chromecast by opening "127.0.0.1:8888" in a Chrome browser while playing the video and then casting the tab to Chromecast. Then hit full screen and go for it. Sometimes you may need to use the internal IP of your computer (192.168. what.ever:8888) but generally you can do it with just the localhost IP (or even localhost: 8888).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm pretty sure Google Drive doesn't automatically download anything to your phone's storage. You need to choose to save a copy to your phone from the Drive app.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Amused to Death posted:

Are there any good apps out there that give a game in the same general vein as say Sim City, Theme Hospital, Roller Coast tycoon, ect. And yeah I know of things like Disco Zoo or Tiny Tower which kind of builds off of Sim Tower, but I want something nerdier than that.

if you have A Thing For Trains, I believe OpenTTD has an Android app.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't use the Google Voice app, it's old, broken, and no longer supported.

You can use the Hangouts app with your GV number.

Is there any reason at all to install GV?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Penguissimo posted:

You still need installed if you want to dial out using the mobile network rather than data.

There's basically no reason to ever open the app once you have that set up, though.

Oh right - I use my GV number as the number I give everyone so when I call people I use GV for all calls, which requires the app.

I could feasibly use the Hangouts dialer but they won't let users set a default dialer so returning calls would be a pain. Opening it though, yeah never.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the nicker posted:

How are you guys getting voicemail at all through hangouts? I use google voice for voicemail only and have never been able to figure out how to use it without the GV app. Am I missing something obvious?

If you install the GV app it should set up your phone to route voicemail to GV, which then transcribes it (hilariously poorly due to call quality) and puts it in your hangouts inbox with the audio attached.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baka kaba posted:

The hell is going on there

The keyboard version of that shiba inu doge meme.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gyshall posted:

Speaking of Google Keyboard, how the hell do you get it to stop autocompleting emojoiis in place of actual words?

I didn't even know it did that to begin with, is it some setting you have to toggle on?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Demon_Corsair posted:

The company is only 6 years old, until this year we had a lot of freedom with IT and email stuff.

You aren't an internet payments company are you?

A partner of my employer's had an audit done after acquisition earlier this year and people freaked out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bryn987 posted:

Any good apps to lock apps to either portrait or landscape mode? All the ones I found are for real time locking but I want to assign a mode to certain apps.

For example, I want chrome to always use portrait mode no matter what

Lollipop has a system-wide rotation locking function but it doesn't apply to things like games which force landscape. It works well for me because I hate autorotation and want poo poo to be portrait all the time unless it's a game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grem posted:

I need an app or some other way to pull SMS conversations off my phone and in to a common format. Is there anything that'll do this?

Google Voice and a time machine. Other than that, I'm not sure about anything that will put it in a common format. I think there used to be things that would allow you to back them up and import to a new phone but I think they use proprietary formats assuming they even still exist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SMS is complicated in the same way having to communicate via fax for one lone old coot of a client is complicated because they refuse to scan documents like everyone else and don't understand email attachments so you have to disrupt your whole office to communicate with that one client.

Except that old coot is a family member and you can't just tell them to gently caress off, nor can you lead them to modernity.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pulp rag posted:

Does anybody else not get notifications when Inbox receives a new message? I wanna like the app, but I never get notified when a message comes in if its not in my main box. I have everything set to notify me when each new message comes in, but I still don't get anything, which kinda defeats the purpose of an email app, if you know what I mean.

Mainly just curious if I missed a setting or if this is just a bad bug with Inbox.

It's a setting in the app, you can set notification for each bundle individually.

E: it isn't particularly well hidden, Settings > Your Email > Label settings and notifications.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pulp rag posted:

Yeah, I've already got all those set, but it doesn't notify me. Like, today I woke up with an email sitting in my Promotions tab with no notification. It's really weird.

Is it set to only notify once daily? Alternatively you could be quashing them if they're not being allowed as priority notifications.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

The lack of notification on most emails has actually been quite liberating for me. I'm only really notified when it's not some random thing I don't have to be aware of or react to. When I open it up and see a bunch of useless emails I thank inbox for not making me bother.

This is kind of how I see it - I don't need to know about every email right away but I am compelled to look at and action the mail notification when it appears. Inbox tackles that problem by shunting the half-step-above-junk-mail stuff into bundles quietly and only letting me know about the important stuff that goes into the main inbox (stuff sent personally by people I know, as well as the occasional verification or password reset thing, it's learned well) so I can just zip through the promo stuff, glance at the headers, and pin any interesting stuff for later - gift ideas this time of year, any interesting news, etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wadjamaloo posted:

Doesn't gmail with its "promotional" etc folders do the same thing?

It doesn't have an "archive all the poo poo in here which isn't starred/pinned" function to go with those tabs, and Inbox is way more focused on the sorting aspect with bundles whereas Gmail is like "eh, we got these tabs."

Inbox also allows custom bundles. I imagine you could do nearly everything in desktop browser Gmail that Inbox does, except it's built into Inbox and that makes all the difference on mobile.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only time I ever have anything resembling memory scarcity is when I am viewing a website that is clearly not agreeing with Chrome. I will kill the tab and back out of Chrome, which is as close as I get to force-killing an app. Then again I'm using a Nexus 5 and aren't burdened by Touchwhiz or Sense and the like.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spincube posted:

LET ME TAKE CARE OF THAT.

That's what happens when you forward Google Voice calls to your phone while also choosing to have Hangouts take them, but over data. Basically the forwarding is happening over phone protocols but the hangouts call is done via internet and they probably take different amounts of time so what ends up is both ringing. I wish they'd do the same thing they did with SMS in GV, which is disable it when you set it to go to Hangouts, but that's too much to ask.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am fairly sure the phone only checks for an update once daily, has it been 24 hours or just a business day?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Figured I might as well point this out in case it suits some users here: there's a neat Material Design alarm clock called Morning Routine. As with all alarm clocks, this one has a gimmick and I think it might apply to a few people here from what I remember the last time this came up.

The gimmick is you can set things for the alarm to do at each point in the snooze cycle. So the first time it goes off you can have it require a QR code and the second time it launches an app or a Tasker-driven sequence. It seems pretty powerful if this is your kind of thing.

Anyway it looks great and is Material Design as gently caress. If nothing else I'd encourage people to download it just to see some of the animations which really go over the top.

The only problem I have with the alarm clock setup in 5.0 is that third-party clocks won't replace the system's widget info, so things like the alarm don't show up on the lockscreen's clock widget unless I put them in the default clock app and that doesn't have the "play a quiet alarm 30 minutes beforehand so if I'm ready to get up at that time it'll wake me up" function like Timely.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TwistedNails posted:

It's really poo poo that the vol up/down doesn't work on nearly any headphones for android.

Volume rockers have worked as intended (raise/lower headset volume separate from phone volume) on the cheapo Kinivo headset and the less-cheap LG headset I've owned. I haven't used any others though. I think there may even be an option in Bluetooth settings to change it so that it just adjusts the phone volume instead.

The pause/play and forward/back buttons also seem to work as intended - in music apps the forward/back rocker advances to the next/restarts the song, in podcast apps it advances/backs up within the podcast. All the podcast apps I've used have had settings for how many seconds those buttons will skip, so I don't know what the "default" option is if not set within the app.

Pause/play does what it says on the tin and the phone remembers what app was last paused, so if you pause Google Music, then go and do some poo poo for a while and the app gets unloaded from memory, hitting play will open it back up and pick up where you left off. If you go from GM to a podcast app, it will obviously change "focus" so that when you hit the button to pause the podcast while you creep around the Baltimore suburbs with google streetview it'll resume the podcast when you hit play, and not fire up Google Music.

The only thing I don't like is that my LG (Tune+? Not recalling exactly what the name is and I don't want to go grab them off my desk at this moment) headset doesn't remember the headset volume between when I turn it off to charge and when I turn it back on walking into work, and forgets it again between powering/connecting and playing - I can turn them on, drop the volume down as far as it'll go, and then when I start listening to podcasts or music it'll zip them back up to full volume so I have to hammer the rocker back down to comfortable volume.

It doesn't work like that with the Bluetooth in my car (it doesn't have adjustable "bluetooth" volume just the regular volume knob) so if I start loving around with the phone's volume rocker, I have to gently caress around with it again when getting in my car and connecting to the car bluetooth or else I need to crank my car's stereo volume up to compensate for the handset's volume being low.

tl;dr: firstworldproblems.txt "I don't want to press a button a few times a day"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

As a note, I've found GSam to be a little more user-friendly than BBS. Also required trout to be at all useful, of course.

Will salmon do?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Well reading XDA feels like swimming upstream.

Except for salmon, reproduction happens afterwards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teach posted:

Just upgraded to an HTC One M8, from an M7, and all of a sudden, Pocket Casts is doing continuous play, and I can't seem to turn it off. Am I missing something, or is this a feature, not a bug?

If what you mean by continuous is that it auto-advances after each track and doesn't require you to hit "play" for each one, I don't think it can do non-continuous play. Even when I play a track out of order it goes back up to the top of the playlist and resumes the oldest item when the track is done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teach posted:

That's what I mean, and that's what it's doing, thank you. As soon as one podcast finishes it immediately plays the next, and I was hoping to disable that bug feature. Thanks!

When on the screen with the player controls (I.e. the artwork is big) put your finger on the artwork and swipe to the left (move your finger left, that is) and you should see what amounts to a playlist from which you can swipe to remove stuff. This won't delete anything but just prevent it from advancing automatically.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mod sassinator posted:

Is there any way to have a Google Keep list come up on your lock screen and be vieweable in some kind of widget? It's my only annoyance with using Keep is that I can't view a shopping list easily and tick things off as I go around a store. Running Lollipop if it helps (or hurts).

Lollipop doesn't do lock screen widgets because it puts notifications there now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There are a lot of widgets, so I took screens of the picker. You can make it use colors set by the conditions or choose custom text/background colors. You can use rounded or sharp corners, and have it hide/show the refresh and settings buttons on the widget. You can also make the widget transparent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

I left it alone for several hours, then put it on the charger for an hour or two. I currently have the battery disconnected. In a little while I'll reconnect it, reassemble the phone, and see if it wants to turn on.

When this happened previously, it took 3-4 hours before it became responsive.

Also, I apparently put this in the wrong thread; I'll re-post in the device thread since that's much more appropriate for my parts question.

No, what did you do to it before leaving it alone and trying to revive it on a charger?

Leaving a phone alone won't kill it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Oh. I was using the Awful app. Same as the previous time my phone died. Working theory is that it was a thermal panic.

Ahh, that may do it. Have you tried Something? It seems a little less burdensome but isn't as feature-rich outside the ability to apply tags around text by selection rather than having to cut/paste it between.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hope they bring the UI from Messenger over to Hangouts at some point. The green has gotten stale but until Ting stops metering SMS I'll need to stick with hangouts to communicate with practically my whole family, who are all on Ting. Being on Cricket I couldn't give a gently caress how many texts I send, but it matters how many they receive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Is there a way to get Tapet to show up in the regular Live Wallpapers list?

Not sure if it could be classified as a live wallpaper since it isn't functionally the same. Does Muzei show up?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilifinicus posted:

OWAs only available if you're on company network

Is this a policy that got implemented like last spring?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only problem I've run into with Pocket Casts on my N5 is that sometimes after being paused for a while, I can't unpause it with my Bluetooth headphones' play/pause button. I then proceed to unlock my phone and hit play, where it picks up right where I left off.

I listen close to eight hours a day, but by "paused for a while" I mean 20-30+ minutes.

I download rather than stream, and have enough podcasts to require listening at 1.5 speed to keep from falling behind despite only keeping one episode of some (daily news stuff) podcasts at a time.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manky posted:

People who want access to Amazon instant video on unsupported devices.

Assuming the battery holds out for the entire movie or the phone is plugged in, do these people hold their phones with oven mitts? I can't imagine how goddamn hot they must get with that much poo poo going on.

• Locked thread