Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

I am looking at the Hybrid RAV4 in electric storm blue.

Question: has anyone with an electric or hybrid had corrosion problems on the traction battery posts? I am kinda worried about that.

I've never heard of that being an issue on Priuses, which keep the traction battery inside the cabin so you have that wonderful1 battery smell every time you get in the car.

1: take it or leave it v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Why not just provide a single brake control and let the vehicle decide the friction/regen balance, maybe with a mechanical failsafe if you panic stop?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I’m not opposed to a disincentive to hogging charger space. I am opposed to such a stiff one.

You're talking about a $100k car. If the fee isn't a stiff one the "rich rear end in a top hat" demographic that has a Tesla as one of their cheap every day cars won't hesitate to inconvenience everyone around them that also wants to share a limited resource.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

io_burn posted:

I was unbelievably stoked for the Model 3 (enough to go stand in line and give Elon $1,000 on day zero) but, man, I work from home and my 2011 Prius (with a hair less than 40k miles on it) has been paid off for years. I bought gas today and was curious when I filled up last, which was in early November. I've had this weird realization that I really just don't need a new car at all, even by 2018 when these things start becoming available. Is this what it's like being an adult? It feels weird and foreign.

I'm in a similar boat. An electric car would be cool, but every time I hear coworkers talk about how little they spend on gas for their Models S, it inevitably segues to chargers and range planning, and I think about the delta between my car plus the $5k of gas I've bought for it, and how that doesn't come to a third of what their cars cost.

Fuckers are fast as poo poo though, fuuuuck

e: in a different boat, my dad loves his electric boat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phuzun posted:

Tell us about the electric boat! Seems like a great use of EV, with the huge premium on fuel at marinas, limited needed range for typical lake use, and that torque.

It's a ten passenger pontoon boat from the '80s or something with a loud and weak gas-powered outboard motor that echoes really bad off the metal roof. The dad-fix was to get a trolling motor with a compass and RF control module off craigslist, a few marine batteries, and an extension cord to charge it off 120V at the dock. Motor's mounted on the front, steer it with a tiny remote. It's quieter than a kayak, and about as fast, which makes it perfect for boating around residential canals. The gas engine is still there in case we want to go out of the quiet canal or some other electric problem necessitates it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

blindjoe posted:

What does the compass and the control module do? Does that keep it on course?

With the remote you control the trolling motor's heading, instead of its relative angle to the hull. The rest of the boat is pulled by wind and current to follow. It's not fast, so there's lots of time to react to things like manatees, kayakers, bridges, other powerboats.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vitamin J posted:

How does it work for things like timing belt, oil changes, spark plugs, etc? Does the computer calculate when they need to be changed based on runtime or something? The timing belt is designed to last for 100k miles, but if 60k of those miles are all-electric then do you still have to change it?

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ners-Manual.pdf

Looks like it's all mileage based, but a lot of engine stuff is basically "replace it if it's fucky, and the dealership will be able to help."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kill me now posted:

I'm sure in a quest to squeeze out as many miles of range as possible the brands are building their EV's at light as possible and X can be fairly heavy. The model S isn't bad for an average car when it comes to Y but its awful compared to other $100k + sedans.

The Model S story.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

I was under the impression that model s is pretty quiet even at speed because of all the batteries insulating from road noise, is it actually pretty loud?

It's quiet compared to just about every other car I've driven at speed, keeping in mind it's also the only $100k car I've driven for more than a couple minutes.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

And more wind noise coming from the owner than coming from the air.

Ain't that the truth. Back when we had three Tesla-havers in the office the entire afternoon would be range anxiety and supercharger chat.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate to hold up GM as some sort of paragon of reliability, but I am pretty sure GM is better at all of those things than Tesla.

It's pretty easy to imagine a crew of greybeards passing down some knowledge of little design tricks that make components and systems easier to assemble correctly and reliably at big carmakers that haven't been recruited to Tesla due to the pursuit of stability and lifetime employment.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Elon said at one point that 20 parts are changed every week on the Model S, but it's not clear what the scope of that is.

Assuming they're using a production system that's a descendent of the Toyota Production System or at least heavily Deming-influenced, it's probably design changes to fix problems that arise in production, from pieces that aren't manufacturable as originally designed, difficult to assemble, or something like that.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

As a Southern California resident, I'm honestly shocked that the 3 series doesn't outsell the Maxima by at least triple. There's a 3 series in every other garage on my block and I rarely see a new Maxima.

I'd bet that at least one out of five cars on my street are a plug in of some kind, as well. Several S and X Teslas, and quite a few plug in Hyundai Sonatas to go along with the million Fiat 500e and Golf Es.

There are a lot of people that don't have SoCal money for car shopping. While I see more Mercedes minivans than Camrys around Miami, I'm under no illusion that they're a better-selling car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

A Maxima isn't a hell of a lot cheaper than a 3 series, and my point was more than I almost never see a Maxima. I see cars in the Maxima price range everywhere, they just don't seem to be a popular choice this generation, at least here (or they just blend in).

You of all people should know that cars are a fashion choice. Where you live, a Maxima is "just another Nissan," while in lots of the country, even a 3-series is an "obnoxious fancy Eurotrash luxury car." This is why Ford sells a $60k F-150 with leather seats for five.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I think on Mclarens and other fancy cars the manual just says you should just always have them on a trickle charger period. Saves them the hassle of the owners constantly complaining that the cars they drive once every 3 months are constantly dead.

It's not just because of lack of activity with McLarens, they're also British cars, which means British electrics. Some publication had their press loaner die overnight, which required a tech to open the car (which is fraught with window-shattering danger because British :downs: design) to get the thing open to jump it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Would it be a good idea to use a Tesla + power inverter to power your computer for a day? I'm having my home electricity turned off to have work done, but still need to do stuff that day.

This seems like a fine idea but idk if the 12V outlet is designed for that. I'm no electrician.

How big a computer? I'd run a modern MacBook (including a 15" Pro) off it, probably not a gaming rig.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phuzun posted:

So is that not considered a hit and run because it was on private property? Or maybe something like vandalism?

It's absolutely a crime of some sort. My first call would've been police non-emergency, second insurance. If the neighbor wasn't proactive about making me whole, I don't feel any need to protect them from the system that will make me whole.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

double ohm seven posted:

Ugh, clean your car

That looks like it's in test mode, so somebody is probably using it as a desk several hours a day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

Remember that dude who died in an accident while watching Harry Potter in his Model S (having ignored the multiple warnings instructing drivers not to trust their lives to the system)?

Did you miss the memo that said we were all going to phrase it as "watching a movie when he should've been watching the trailer?" C'mon son.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Perhaps the road should be funded by a progressive income tax instead of gas taxes or vehicle taxes that are expensive for poor people and negligible for the rich.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Yes, this is the best thing!

The Volt can do this as well. Hit the Remote Start button in the OnStar app before leaving, and ~10 minutes later get into a nice toasty car :D It will only use house power if plugged in for pre-heat.

More importantly, most of these cars can do that for the A/C so you don't have to get into a toasty car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

I want an i3 but only because I can't imagine the intense smug feeling from telling someone that my car is made from "carbon-fiber reinforced plastics". :smugmrgw: Also, like everyone else I heard that the i3 is actually a hell of a nice car to drive.

Honestly though, the announcement of the new BMW 3-series electric comes across as bizarre, as I'm not sure where the i3 fits in the product line going forward. Yes, it's the smaller, lighter "city car", but unless we find that the all-electric 3 is the same price as, let's say a mid-range 5-series, there's not really a reason to consider the i3 at all. Especially considering that the electric 3 is claimed as having 200+ miles of range.

Also if BMW makes an electric 3-series wagon available in the US I may need to sell all my worldly possessions to get my fat, greasy fingers on it.

The i3 is a goofy look-at-me hybrid/ev like the Prius, while the 3-series electric is just a normal rear end car but hybrid/ev like the Camry Hybrid.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

The i3 just worries me as I don't imagine too many places are going to stock the wagon wheel tires it has outside of the dealership.

Just don't lease it for longer than the tires last.

(And don't buy a German car.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gamesguy posted:

So you think Tesla is only going to sell 7000 Model 3s per year?

Models 3.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Sicilian posted:

Mercedes/Maybach released a new concept...

[some buzzfeed poo poo with gifs]

If this is built

I'm gonna cut you off right there.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

legendof posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, so point me elsewhere if there's a better place.

I have a 2016 Nissan leaf S, I've been charging it with the charger it came with. We're having some electrical work done on my house and I have the option to install a charging station, and I'm not sure what the best thing to do here is - because the S doesn't support quick charging, is it even worthwhile to install a charging station? Is it a better idea to install a NEMA outlet instead so I have more versatility?

It's worth noting that the car is a lease, so I'm not necessarily going to keep it for ten years, although when the lease ends (~18mo) I'm likely to lease another Leaf.

All the Leaf-havers i know have one of these: https://openevse.com/

You'd still need some flavor of NEMA outlet, but it'd be less daily work to plug the car in than using the cord it comes with, and might go faster too.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

stevobob posted:

The impression I have of BMWs is that outside of warranty they are a crapshoot as to whether you will have a minimal maintenance DRIVING MACHINE, or a money pit. Does the i3's simplicity make for a much higher chance of long-term reliability, with BMW quality?

Are any i3 units old enough to be out of warranty or off-lease? Is anyone enough of a brain genius to buy an off-lease early-model-year first-of-its-kind BMW and then judge it for reliability?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Mods rename to "The EV tantrum / libel / frustration electrothread."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Wait, people do that?! I mean sure, occasionally you see folks on the news who've pulled to the shoulder frantically trying to warn people in vain about the fog/white out induced 200 car pile up ahead, but they're practically a statistical error.

They probably should've typed "people should do," because yeah when visibility drops in Miami a lotta drivers just turn on their hazards and drop their AWD Benz to idle speed in a 55.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

The spec sheet is amazing, would buy. The car looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick. Wouldn't even stop at the dealer.

I dunno, the details feel extremely similar to the current Camaro SS (renting one right now :getin: even if it's not a Mustang) but it's just a bit boxier shape-wise.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I still can't figure out who it is that actually wants these stupid loving "coupe" crossovers. Sure, let's take the handling of a minivan and combine it with the interior space of a coupe. Brilliant! A car that's good at nothing!

The coupe look is an attempt to conceal the sheer bulk of the vehicle by taking it out of cabin space, and half the posts from the last two pages are concept cars that'll never ship.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Tesla story in a nutshell.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pretty bold for Tesla to be hyping blowing your brains out of your skull with a semi truck.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

If I contacted a lawyer to sue Kia for not putting V-rates tires on a 2003 Kia Rio because I blew the tires out and wrecked the car doing 129 mph on a US highway, they’d tell me to gently caress off.

Im not sure about that! Cars tend to ship with speed limits lower than the lowest-rated drivetrain and tires they want to include. To my knowledge, V6 mustangs have the limiter at 120 because the included tires and driveshaft aren’t supposed to go over 130.

And there absolutely are personal injury lawyers who would take that case.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Yeah thanks, that's the video I was thinking of while phone-posting.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

9001 quarter horsepower

Do you mean 2250hp or somewhere over 9001hp since a modern quarterhorse blah blah blah

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

By the way, LEDs were discussed in Norwegian media a few weeks ago. https://www.nrk.no/telemark/led-lys-dekkes-til-av-is-og-sno-1.13830466 Because they don't give off any waste heat, they pack up with snow pretty quickly, particularly on slab fronted trucks.

That’s also a problem in cold places with LED traffic signals and LED street lamps.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I guess it's just the sensation of it and that it mixes in friction brakes seamlessly.

Prius has done that for over twenty years. Why's it weird/special/worth mentioning in newer EVs?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

I did exactly this, except the battery is fine. Our spark has been our only car since we got it, and we rent for the 2% of driving per year it doesn't cover. We paid $10k for a car that covers our driving needs and doesn't use gas. We recently moved further away from our workplaces and are thinking about a longer range full ev, but we're going to keep the spark until it dies and I think even then I'd replace it with another. We just don't often drive more than 70mi round trip in a day, and even once the battery degrades it will still be able to do plenty.

My brother and his wife share an early Leaf in greater suburban Phoenix. It was cheap used, the range is enough for her commute (he bikes,) and if they have to move big stuff they pull a trailer with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is the dorky little retractable spoiler on the Model X driver-controlled, unreliable, or just pops up any time the car is in drive? I was behind one for a while today in 0-20mph traffic and it was always up.

• Locked thread