Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Palpek posted:

I hope it's more like Michael Bay's Power Rangers.

From a couple days ago, but they already did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I watched literally ten seconds of that and turned it off.

Please stop trying to make things "cool."

It is never cool.

It's like that on purpose. Watch it as a commentary on what Michael Bay has done with the Transformers and Ninja Turtles IPs on the big screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

No. It's giving people exactly what they want, gritty CONSEQUENCES FOR REAL garbage, and showing it's loving awful. And it worked 100% because there is a Wikipedia article for it discussing how much it was praised.

I was paraphrasing/summarizing what I read from the hitfix exclusive I had bookmarked.

quote:

This is a fan film, and as such, it's amazing, because it is not an act of devotion to a property. Instead, it's a lacerating straight-faced comment on where we are with these movies. It's not just the "dark and gritty" approach, it's the use of a property that was little more than a cynical merchandising trick the first time around.

article here if anyone cares to read it: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/world-exclusive-what-are-katee-sackhoff-and-james-van-der-beek-doing-in-joseph-kahns-powerrangers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Joseph Kahn is a genius and I've lost count of how many times I've watched Detention.

Agreed. Detention is amazing :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

He became a robot spider man.

He has a pretty compelling story arc, surprisingly enough.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Everyone who hasn't seen Dead Set should go and watch that if you need some zombie related media to consume. It's a solid little miniseries.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:stare: :allears:

[edit]
higher res

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 22, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is a really good poster for Blade Runner.

This is what I thought it was for too. But then I realized it was for Back to the Future, and then I spent like a minute or two looking for the "to" in the title. What a terrible poster.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sure, if you're an idiot.

My eye is naturally drawn to the right of "back" as that's how I normally read: left to right. I don't read diagonally upward. In that poster, the instinct to continue right is also heavily emphasized since the color shifts from the shades of teal/blue to the muted/creamsicle-esque orange; it makes for a recognizable contrast that I'm more inclined to look at. I saw "the" before "to" because of that contrast. It's bad design/hierarchy imo.

[edit] The color variant of the same poster handles the titling and color hierarchy better. The pink stands out a lot more against all the blues and draws my attention a lot better looking left to right.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 11, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only exciting thing on that poster is "from the director of Sicario"

I thought the trailer was pretty dope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/thepowerrangers/status/778650520231686144
https://twitter.com/thepowerrangers/status/778650648438902785
https://twitter.com/thepowerrangers/status/778650943617249280
https://twitter.com/thepowerrangers/status/778651088698249216
https://twitter.com/thepowerrangers/status/778651249793077249

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is John Wick 2 titled Bulletproof? Or is it John Wick 2, and that's the tagline?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really want this movie to be good. I really, really do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A goon in the animation thread came up with a great tagline for a movie about a Disney Princess who's a boxer so I made a teaser poster for it, haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Agreed. Shoulda picked a stage name. His name reminds me of Hansel from Zoolander.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can make a Flash costume that isn't spandex or that overly-complicated Justice League costume

Sure, you can do that. Doesn't mean they'll look good though. JL Flash looks great imo. Even better in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0LeCAFSjk

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ash, Bishop, Call, David, and Walter will team up Avengers style.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

She isn't very good at acting so yeah.

Most critics on twitter (if not all) praised her acting in WW. In particular how charming she comes off, and her on-screen chemistry with Chris Pine. Not sure if I could find a negative reaction to Gal's acting in WW on social media tbh. She upped her game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Opinions for everyone! I quite like that WW design. I am biased though, because I really love Cliff Chiang's art.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

The Annabelle movies are just a spin-off from that series. It's the "creepy" doll that the hoaxers that the movies are about have collected or some poo poo.

"The Conjuring Universe" is right on the poster. Not that I think it's going for the exact same thing as The Dark Universe with the Annabelle/Conjuring films, but seems like it's using the term as a sort of cash grab I guess. Ooooh, another cinematic universe!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kiimo posted:

Well Battle Angel is something I'm working on and we'll see how the first delivered feature turns out but the sizzle we did for CineEurope looks outstanding.

Can we expect a teaser at SDCC? Really curious to see how Rosa Salazar looks as Alita since I was really lukewarm on her casting.

[edit]

Erebus posted:

I don't want another Avatar either but it's silly to question why they might make a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time.

I think they might be in for kind of a rude awakening, though. It seems like Avatar was much more of a "of the moment" kind of movie than something like Star Wars. Though I guess if you drag it out long enough, Avatar 2 becomes a nostalgia piece to young adults who saw Avatar as kids.

From what I remember, a whole lotta people doubted Avatar would be a success prior to its release, and then it went on the be the highest grossing film ever. People doubted Titanic too. Not saying Avatar 2 is going to be a guaranteed hit, but Cameron is 2/2 right now at proving he shits gold in spite of all the naysayers.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sockser posted:

I have never understood the appeal of character posters. Can someone explain please?

Some people have a connection to certain characters in a franchise? They might call them their "favorite" or something similar. For example, Rey, she's my favorite character in this new sequel trilogy. Her character poster is dope and I wouldn't mind owning one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

And More posted:

While they really capture the essence of Rey's character, I still feel there is a lot of wasted space:

It's called negative space :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, imagine how much better this would look without the unnecessary text.

Edited by Bosslogic

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Palpek posted:

I don't like how they used the arrow in the title. It lacks any sort of neat concept in how it graphically interacts with the typography.

Looks bad in print for sure, but it has a neat effect in motion (title graphic at the end):
https://twitter.com/TombRaiderMovie/status/909816802061860864

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Palpek posted:

In what world is Ehrenreich ugly. There's a case to be made about some actors here but he's not one of them.

His looks are more similar to Paul Reiser than Harrison Ford.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe because it's produced by Cameron, but this poster reminds me of the first poster for Avatar.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, my parents are in their early 60s and saw the Alita trailer in front of Mission Impossible Fallout. Both of them told me they really want to watch it which surprised me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

Old people do like Christoph Waltz, so this checks out.

Think this is actually what sold my parents lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gripweed posted:

that's cool

Makoto Shinkai has a new movie coming out

Looks I'm gonna have to wait until 2020 before I can see this :argh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

My favorite sequel naming history is the Predator franchise

Predator
Predator 2
Predators
The Predator

I'm partial to the Fast and Furious titles:

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
Hobbs & Shaw

But as much as I like those, the Japanese titles for Fast and Furious movies are way better:

Wild Speed
Wild Speed X2
Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift
Wild Speed Max
Wild Speed Mega Max
Wild Speed Euro Mission
Wild Speed Sky Mission
Wild Speed Ice Break
Wild Speed Super Combo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zedd posted:

You forgot F8 of the Furious for Ice Break. And yes that is fully meant to be fate.

Oh yeah, whoops! Haha.

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it called Super Combo that rules

https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1147710147697029120

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How does something like that work if the actor's contract states they get a percentage of the box office? Meaning a film that was originally supposed to get a theatrical release now being punted to a streaming service.

Maybe they get a percentage of subscriptions fees from users that watch the movie?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's like a not-good version of The Empire Strikes Back poster.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Dave is a wizard

https://twitter.com/DaveRapoza/status/1192121392352788480?s=19

I can't imagine being that talented.

I like the initial concept better, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That lady must be really short too. Isn't Aaron Paul like 5'1"? Or maybe he's standing on a crate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Can't unsee that, I guess

gently caress, same.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AMC claims they're re-opening theaters all over in July
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1270459922421960706

Lol. I ain't going into one of their deathplexes.