Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I am also a "Stupid Newbie" who wishes to create his first LP. I posted a test post for my SSLP of Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Any criticism is appreciated!

How about showing some actual gameplay, and how you expect to make a good SSLP out of a sidescrolling action game? That'd be a nice start. The mini paragraph on how you expect to do it is, uh, something but it doesn't give any indication of how good an idea it is in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

100percentjesusfree posted:

Ignore this, I seem to have fixed it by faffing about with no$Gba

How does this look?

Pretty awful, honestly. It's a hyperinflated filesize (500kb is really weird), and it's incredibly blurry/strangely dark too;

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

in particular what should I do about NPC mugshots? Or should I just screencap the conversations?

I'd recommend maybe using the sprites for anyone without a portrait (if really necessary), and using the actual portrait for everyone fortunate enough to get one. From what little of this game I unfortunately remember, there's a lot of stupidly long conversations, so having a screen for every line of dialogue would get pretty annoying/awkward quite quickly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Chaostime posted:

Hey guys can you take a look over this and let me know where you think it needs improvement?

Kinda reminds me of the shovelware PS2 thread from a while back, and that's by no means a bad thing. I'd also recommend reducing the length a bit, since over 20 minutes was a bit much for a single video in this context.

Also, there's an article thing written by one of the two guys that does Silver Dollar Games that really should be linked. It's... certainly worth a read, alright.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Your images are a bit weird, since they're the wrong aspect ratio. A single screen's normally 256x192 (or 512x384 when resized), and two's 256x384 (512x768). Just for a rough comparison:

As for other things, I'm curious if you'll at least be bringing up the Overclocked changes as/when they become relevant; didn't notice anything in the actual update but I only skimmed it. Also I'm hoping you'll post some of the official art because that's always great to see.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, are they the wrong ratio? I think I was working with a 4:3 ratio that blew them up to 360x240. That's entirely my fault and I'll resize them if they're not the right ratio.

Well, ratio was probably the wrong word to use (since 256x192 is 4:3 and all), but I just don't really expect to see it at a non-standard size. I'd also say they're a bit too small as-is on top of that, but that might just be me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

How's it look now?

On top of the filesize issue (its around ~10x too large for that particular shot), the text is kinda weird in some places; look at the "Day Before" in the top right corner, for the easiest to spot example of what I mean. Character models are kinda off too;

That's what I get for the same thing just for comparison.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 14, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'm not even sure I'll really have the time to do a thread for this until maybe May (if I'm wrong and I do, then that's a nice bonus). As is, I can at least prepare some stuff now. Don't want to do too much of that and have it all turn out terrible though, so...

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999 for short) is a visual novel/adventure game for the Nintendo DS in late 2009 and 2010. It was developed by Chunsoft which might sound odd, as the other thing you potentially know them for is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Quite a mood whiplash there, huh? It was praised for, and I quote, "competent game writing for once." I don't necessarily agree with that, but you'll see why eventually.

As for the game itself, well it's mostly a visual novel so it has lots and lots of words. Some of the talking bits can get incredibly long on their own merit, but there's also occasional breaks in that for some proper gameplay. Namely puzzle solving in a giant room, wherein you find things that help you try and leave it. If that sounds remotely familiar, you've probably played a flash game in the past 12 years or so. Unlike many of those "escape the room!" games, though, this one is actually fun to solve the puzzles for and there's plenty of incidental dialogue to find too. Some of it is boring and not worth looking at, but there's some gems in there that's rather easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

Despite what I said about the "cutscenes" though, the game as a whole is not necessarily all that long, but it does have a pretty good degree of replayability in that it has 6 possible endings. Which ones you get are determined by a few clear choices you're presented with throughout the game. I won't necessarily be getting all 6, because that's kind of not even remotely necessary but for the first run through, or two, I'll be leaving which one we get in the hands of the readers.

Oh, and there's a sequel for the 3DS and Playstation Vita. Naturally, talking about that is kind of going to be rife with spoilers so :siren: don't do that! (this also applies to all things spoiler related, even hinting at it or any "oh man this next part is crazy!" nonsense, okay thanks.):siren:

Update 02

--

Second post'll be character info and other stuff (documents, tutorials etc.) we get throughout the game that's relevant.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

gameface posted:

Did you forget about the LP or did something happen?

No, no, nothing happened. I just haven't had much time to write anything non-academic in a while, and what time I did have I used more for non-LP stuff more than anything else. :v:

I'm definitely going to finish Curious Village, since it's very close to being done anyway and I have all the content more or less prepared already (just not the "writing it" part). Don't have much of an intention to do the other two immediately afterwards, because otherwise a gap of nothing like that would happen more than the twice it has done as-is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Dragonatrix can't get to it until May (test post six months before the fact?)

Wow, I guess I worded that really badly; the May thing is by no means definite. I have no idea how much free time I'll have after Christmas until then (but if I had to guess, I'd say "not that much"), so I might not have time to really keep a thread going at a reasonable pace. For the next 2-3 weeks I know I'll have enough time to write some stuff and hopefully finish up anything else I need to. When it comes to this, I can use whatever time I have to write a few updates. If they end being awful, though, then it'd just be wasting my time and everyone else's too. Or that's how I see it anyway; I could just be looking at it wrong.

But, yeah, if someone else (either you, Dark Hamsterlord or someone else altogether) does start a thread for it before then, it wouldn't make a difference either way. If that happens, it happens.

quote:

it seemed like every update, he'd post how the game was full of junk science and writing. Talking about it with him in the Sandcastle, it sounded like he thought the story was mostly stupid (but "interesting").

I don't really remember Lufia's thread all that much since it was a while ago, and I don't have archives to go back and look either. Still, I can definitely see from that, that I'd be looking at the game in a different light. Personally, though, when it comes to the science stuff I can suspend my disbelief for most of it (not all of it, because some of it is just silly), but I can see why someone else might not be able to. As for the writing, there's certainly moments where I think what was trying to be said could be done better, or at least in a less embarrassing manner, but I wouldn't say it ever gets outright awful either.

As for trashing it, well, that's something I wouldn't go in intending to do since I really do like the game quite a lot. I also know I wouldn't be able to do it without it coming off as horribly forced, even if I did want to, so that helps too.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 5, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Okay, so take 2! Added a VN section update as well as gameplay, and expanded the gameplay update to include more stuff. It might be a bit too long as is, though, so I have the old version still for comparison and to use instead if the new one is too long or something.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999 for short) is a visual novel/adventure game for the Nintendo DS in late 2009 and 2010. It was developed by Chunsoft which might sound odd, as the other thing you potentially know them for is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Quite a mood whiplash there, huh?

999 is mostly a visual novel, so it has lots and lots (and lots) of words. Some of the talking bits can get incredibly long on their own, but there's also occasional breaks in that for some proper gameplay. Namely puzzle solving in a giant room, wherein you find things that help you try and leave it. If that sounds remotely familiar, you've probably played a flash game in the past 12 years or so. Unlike many of those "escape the room!" games, though, this one is actually fun to solve the puzzles for and there's plenty of incidental dialogue to find too. Some of it is boring and not worth looking at, but there's some gems in there that's rather easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

The game as a whole is not necessarily all that long, but it does have a pretty good degree of replayability in that it has 6 possible endings. Which ones you get are determined by a few clear choices you're presented with throughout the game. I won't necessarily be getting all 6, because that's kind of not even remotely necessary. That said, for the first run through, or two, I'll be leaving which one we get in the hands of everyone that isn't me.

Oh, and apparently there's a sequel for the 3DS and Playstation Vita. Naturally, talking about that is kind of going to be rife with spoilers so don't do that! (this also applies to all things spoiler related, even hinting at it or any "oh man this next part is crazy!" nonsense, okay thanks.)

Prologue
D Deck 3rd class cabin (old version)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

This kinda got buried by the PC_Snob stuff, unfortunately, so I'll just ask again to see if there's anything that needs fixing up or the like.

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay, so take 2! Added a VN section update as well as gameplay, and expanded the gameplay update to include more stuff. It might be a bit too long as is, though, so I have the old version still for comparison and to use instead if the new one is too long or something.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999 for short) is a visual novel/adventure game for the Nintendo DS in late 2009 and 2010. It was developed by Chunsoft which might sound odd, as the other thing you potentially know them for is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Quite a mood whiplash there, huh?

999 is mostly a visual novel, so it has lots and lots (and lots) of words. Some of the talking bits can get incredibly long on their own, but there's also occasional breaks in that for some proper gameplay. Namely puzzle solving in a giant room, wherein you find things that help you try and leave it. If that sounds remotely familiar, you've probably played a flash game in the past 12 years or so. Unlike many of those "escape the room!" games, though, this one is actually fun to solve the puzzles for and there's plenty of incidental dialogue to find too. Some of it is boring and not worth looking at, but there's some gems in there that's rather easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

The game as a whole is not necessarily all that long, but it does have a pretty good degree of replayability in that it has 6 possible endings. Which ones you get are determined by a few clear choices you're presented with throughout the game. I won't necessarily be getting all 6, because that's kind of not even remotely necessary. That said, for the first run through, or two, I'll be leaving which one we get in the hands of everyone that isn't me.

Oh, and apparently there's a sequel for the 3DS and Playstation Vita. Naturally, talking about that is kind of going to be rife with spoilers so don't do that! (this also applies to all things spoiler related, even hinting at it or any "oh man this next part is crazy!" nonsense, okay thanks.)

Prologue
D Deck 3rd class cabin (old version)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, just checked the script dump I have and it's a "?" there too. That's probably my fault for not checking the encoding or something, since I wouldn't have thought to (never been relevant before insofar as I can tell).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So... every single text box, more or less? FFVII isn't exactly like the ones that come before it. The characters are moving drat near constantly in scenes.

SSNeoman posted:

If so, what's the best way to fix the background?

The way I usually do it, and I think some others do to, is disable background layers until you get the character's sprite on a black background and take a screenshot of that. From there, I just open the image in Paint.NET and select the wand to highlight all the background stuff (you might have to mess with the tolerance setting a bit first in some cases).

Alternatively, you might not even have to bother with that and they could all be ripped and uploaded somewhere.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

This should be the quality that's good, right?

Except for the part where it's a JPG, and therefore still around 5 times too big, yeah that's what you should be shooting for.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Honestly, the 64x64 ones look fine to me. Considering that any change in expression will be incredibly apparent anyway, if there is something so small and subtle as "sometimes X's smile is one pixel more on the left hand side than in others!" then it's not exactly going to matter.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

There are, and there aren't. The only proper portraits for the main cast of Destiny are in, uh, the PS2 remake which isn't available in English. They also aren't easy to find online from my looking a while back, and cropping them out of PS2 screenshots isn't that easy in this case (or at least I don't think so) either because they're giant cards as opposed to the small squares other games in the series use, which has a size issue with regards to the actual characters face. The closest you can get for the PS1 stuff is the status screen portraits which are easy enough to get if that's all you're interested it though this doesn't include a few actually important characters for obvious reasons.

As for screenshot stuff, I just gave it another check because Destiny uses varying screen resolutions and sizes depending on where you are. Most of it isn't 640x480:

But there's a few spots that are, because that's not confusing at all:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Minus still works fine; the only issue is the way you've got the links written. Rather than what you have, it should be:

code:
http://i5.minus.com/jF834C8In1aPU.jpg
Sticking the IMG tags on that, would give you what you want:

e;

Volume posted:

I'm using epsxe and I did use the built in "snap" function. Could be a graphics setting?

I've never really liked ePSXe that much, so this is possible (in my entirely anecdotal experience, it's too much hassle for no real benefits at all). I used pSX 1.13 to quickly grab the images I posted, so I'd recommend trying that instead if you can.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 24, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Also, your images look kinda blurry, but I can't say for sure until I get a comparison myself.

I'm pretty sure they were initially saved as JPGs:

The one on the left is from the test post, for reference.

There's also some rather obvious artifacting in a few images, such as in the very first one between the two lines of text.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The arrows alone help a bunch, I find. It's not quite the same thing but when Paul.Power did the Advance Wars 1 and 2 stiff, just the mere addition of the arrows showing who moved where and such made it much easier to follow without having played the games already. You could reasonably get away with those even in Awakening, I think. The extra text on-top of everything else would probably add far, far too much clutter though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think the best way to do that for SSLP stuff is to just put the old updates on the test poster, and have the first new update be the first one in-thread. That's what the .hack// thread did at least, and it seems to work fine there.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, here's a situation that I'm sure will have come up before but I'm drawing a bit of a blank on.

I've just spent the past half hour or so trying to find a copy of a soundtrack that, to the best of my knowledge, was only released in Japan, had what I presume to be a very limited print and is now either borderline impossible to find a copy of... or the few I could find are going for around $70 a piece. And, through some absolute miracle, there's nothing related to it at all on Youtube either so I can't just link to that. Y'know, if that would even be allowed in the first place.

It seems to me that the best solution to this would be to just not even bother and leave out the music, but it has a certain charm that really helps sell the psuedo-film noir atmosphere really well too so I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. Meanwhile, the option to spend $70+ is there but that's not really something I could justify spending exclusively for one LP.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Is it possible to record your own tracks from the game itself?

That'd be easy to do, yeah. I considered it, but wasn't sure of whether or not it'd be okay to post the entire thing like that. If so, then it's definitely an alternative I'd be willing to do.

Yeah, that looks like it's it. And ~£34 inc. shipping does seem a fair bit more reasonable.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, here's something a bit different. Er, sort of.

Final Fantasy IV is a pretty cool RPG, I think. It's not the best, nor the worst, but it's certainly up there. One of the first ones I ever played, now I'm gonna do something silly.

I'm gonna take a little girl, and use just her for the entire game. Because I can.

If you care about the plot at all, this is probably not for you. I'm not even gonna touch it, save for occasionally highlighting where we're meant to go next. If you want to know what's actually going on, then Bellmaker and Mega 64 have both got you covered.

Update 01. Rod-ia

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 30, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Basically Everyone posted:

Explain "how."

Alright, so I've added the "how" and cut down the amount of pointless treasures shown. Might still need to add a few more things for what brief parts of the scenes I do bother with, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Abitha Denton posted:

even in this edit your explanation of why Rydia is there still drips with being just an afterthought.

Wow, really? Alright, so I've editted that bit again to expand on it as best as I can. Hopefully it's a lot clearer and reads better now. While I was at it, I also added an extra bit of in-game dialogue to make it clearer what the game wants you to do.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The FFIV thread's up as of a few hours ago. Even the self-described nitpicking helped quite a lot with hopefully making this even more readable, so thanks a bunch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

the gif is quite big for special attacks.

Just play around with the framerate a little;

Still over 2mb as is, but it's not that much higher really. You can always just use Minus if you need to.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

This is my first attempt at a subtitled LP

Okay, this raises two questions that just confuse me completely right off the bat. Call it whatever you like, but Corpse Party is basically a visual novel at the end of the day. So, why would you do it as a video LP at all and why you do it subtitled if you did? That doesn't strike me as particularly efficient.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

Is that a good size for the images, or should I get them bigger?

Try 512x384 for one screen, and 512x768 for two (or maybe 256x384 if you think that's too big or something, but other than the title screen it won't come up that much). As is, they're a bit too small, needlessly blurry and have noticable colour issues which is a really big issue for a game as bright and colourful as Chocobo Tales is. Like, the difference between these two images is pretty significant.

e; Also, you seem to have 1 pixel of the top screen running along the top of every screenshot for some reason. Just looks like an error in cropping, but I find that it's really easy to notice.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 7, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

All better now?

A lot, yeah. The only other thing is maybe resize the .gif to be the same size as the others, but I wouldn't worry about that too much if that'd push it over 2mb.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not particularly, no. It just stood out a bit at first, but it's not that big a deal really. Sometimes it's a necessity for reader convenience, I think.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

That said, since it'll take you a while to get to the point where FFXII starts to get spoiled, with any luck Brainweasel's FFXII LP'd be done

There's also the already finished one on the archive, so even if Brainweasel isn't finished by then it doesn't really matter.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, on a non-emoticon related note got a bit of an issue regarding DS stuff.

See, the thing is there's some things that use both screens as a singular entity. Sometimes they'll act like that gap isn't there, but some other things will act like it is. In the cases where the gap is presumed to not be there, it's easy to ignore. But, for ones like this where the border is used it just looks a bit weird.

I can add the border in if need be, it doesn't take that much time anyway. The problem is that I think it might stretch things out a bit too much at double size, and I think that it looks kinda weird to just have a solid mass of colour in the middle too.

This is what it looks like double-sized and with the border added in for a visual reference.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

unfair posted:

I'm guessing if you're going to space them out like that it would be better to make the middle part transparent - that way when you post it on the forum it looks like two images properly spaced instead of one with a weird color block in the middle.

I dunno. I think that looks even weirder, at least when resized it does anyway.

It still looks a bit more... off, than with the bar there, at base size too I think. I definitely think a gap of some kind needs to be there, to make it not be completely awful, though hard to say what that should be.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ivantod posted:

that game has had a PSP remake in Japan with improved graphics and added content so perhaps worth considering as an extra if you're going to LP it. If you did already know this, just ignore me. :v:

Yeah, I have a copy of Hikari to Yami, though I haven't played much of it (enough to know that it's the same game with more things though). I'll probably dip into it sometimes, but not overly often, for the stuff exclusive to it Angela is a pretty drat good place to start for that, I think :v:.

Speaking of which, since I'm getting all this stuff out of the way now this seems like a good time to work on stuff re:that too. I've not done anything related to the PSP before I'm not too sure as to what good size images are.

The only PSP SSLP thread I can think of right now uses images that're at the default size. I think they look fine, though I dunno if that's something others agree with or not.

In comparison, this is what I get by resizing to 2x base size. I think it might be a bit too much on the large size, though. Especially if/when there's several of them in succession.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ivantod posted:

EDIT: At one point I was actually considering doing an LP of this where I would take the graphics from the Japanese PSP version and marry it together with the English translation from DS version (which is fairly awesome and quite easy to dump out of game files).

That doesn't sound like a bad alternative, either. Only problem is that I don't know how to really make a text dump (not for a lack of trying, though), and it doesn't seem like anyone else has done it either.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

Only if you're LPing a more well-known game. If you're LPing a slightly obscure game, good loving luck finding a script out there.

Yeah, I can count on one hand the amount of LPs I've actually had a game script for. Sometimes one can be found eventually, even if it's just something some guy wrote up on Tumblr or Dreamwidth or whatever, but if it's not easy to make yourself in advance or already sitting on GameFAQs then you'll probably just be better off doing everything by hand.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php Use this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

judgementbringer posted:

As you can see they're all different sizes.

And here are the actual source images those came from.

Just the use the ones from the status screen? Those all come from that same artwork. You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

• Locked thread