Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

schwim posted:

I see this gentleman around town sometimes. The cargo area looks like it's been decked out for a handyman. It's got a bit of quarter rot at the rears but it was painted shiny red with the rest of the ride.

I absolutely detest lifted trucks and people who park like this.

That being said, :drat:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cakesmith handyman posted:

And this kids is why we try and teach you trigonometry.

Aww, I was trying to angle for that joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BoostCreep posted:

A Facebook friend just posted this today. I have to assume these were the fastest American made cars in 1989?

There's a Corvette(?) that looks identical to the one in the far right except for the color a couple blocks from my house.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's probably dumb childhood nostalgia but I love the cheese wedge-looking Corvettes from that time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powershift posted:

so that's how horses work :shrug:

I like that girl.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InitialDave posted:

One thing it would have been cool if they'd found/done a clip on David Soul restoring Hemingway's old Chrysler.

These are three names I did not expect to see in the same sentence.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MullardEL34 posted:

Two years ago, my freshly restored 1962 Corvair Monza Sedan was trashed by a drunk driver.

This afternoon, I finally drove it home from the body shop. :unsmith:

It needed a new rear quarter, dogleg, section of the rocker panel, door, rear suspension arm, axle and wheel bearing, wheel, and tire. the door pillar had been pushed in about an inch.
The process of locating a rust free quarter panel and door took most of the time.
The body shop did an absolutely amazing job and the drunk's insurance just cut a $5500 check to pay for it. All I have to do now is replace the hubcap and beauty ring that was destroyed in the impact and mount the rocker panel trim that I never got a chance to install before the accident.
This car has special meaning to me because the local Corvair expert who guided me through the restoration (IE did most of the work) died of ALS about 8 months after the accident. This was his last Corvair restoration. Insurance was originally going to total the car and offer us $4500 but I wouldn't let that happen.

I'm so glad it lived :unsmith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Finger Prince posted:

A friend posted this on FB. I am conflicted, but feel that I made the right choice of thread.

Not gonna lie, I've been staring at this for a good long while and I still can't decide whether I like it or hate it.

Thumbs up for the Daytons, not gonna lie about that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Side profile is pretty future though, ain't gonna hate on that...

Can I hate the wheels? Because those ugly bastards kinda spoil it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

What you can see is optional carbon fiber aero inserts, according to the article. But yeah, they don't look great. Not sure if the wheels have actually been shown yet, maybe they want to keep the brakes under wraps for a while longer.

Makes sense. It'd be a shame to think they managed to make such an awesome chassis and body and then base the wheels on a Duplo set.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Posted not so much for the car but because of this guy's moment of triumph.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bloody Pom posted:

:perfect:

I really, really want to hear what kind of sound that makes.

A very angry sound spelled with lots of Rs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
As a child I thought wedge-shaped cars looked stupid.

I was a stupid child.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Falken posted:

Against the P1, it just looks ugly and like something from a Saints Row game.

The gently caress you say?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ishikabibble posted:

This doesn't belong here but it's pertinent to your statement.

This should be reposted in the other thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That thing where it's so bad it's cool...

Jeepneys are extremely awesome.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Probably because you end up with a non-standard cargo container than can't be used on train cars or container ships.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eyebeem posted:

Taking a chance here but god damnit I believe in myself.

Right thread in spirit at the very least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm just going to assume a wormhole briefly opened up and spewed out a 10mm socket.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well now I'm curious, could a circular saw blade theoretically work as an overhead fan blade?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

There's a story that floats around about an Apache unit accidentally ordering some big fuckoff ship's anchor that had an almost-identical NSN as the helo part they needed.

It really happened.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw this here a long while ago but it always gives me a smile.
https://i.imgur.com/4xE3vsE.mp4

Mad Max 5 looking good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I would like a beer collaboration by this name from Wil Wheaton please.

I'd rather drink warm Stella.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BraveUlysses posted:

nah it looks like poo poo m8

Wrong thread for this post.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KakerMix posted:

In time modern stuff might be cool, but that time isn't today and I don't care how fast a new Mustang can go down a drag strip or into a crowd of people :colbert:

You'd probably care if you were in that crowd :colbert::colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Depending on what's on the roof of this car this might also be awful car poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Italian Police Use Lamborghini To Transport Donor Kidney 300 Miles In Two Hours.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm all for banning fullscreen showing of things shot in widescreen, but that also should apply to widescreen versions of things shot fullscreen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So just how much blow got done in the backseat of this thing?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This video is in the right thread, the news is not :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
'A story I can't wait to see in a cinema': George Miller to shoot a new Mad Max movie, Furiosa

The Mad Max series is roaring back to life.

After the resolution of an ugly legal dispute with Hollywood studio Warner Bros, director George Miller is preparing to shoot a fifth movie, Furiosa, in the celebrated action series in New South Wales in Australia.

It is a prequel to Mad Max: Fury Road, with Anya Taylor-Joy, the breakout star of the hit series The Queen’s Gambit, playing a younger version of the heroic warrior played by Charlize Theron.

The cast will also include Chris Hemsworth, who is filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Sydney, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, best-known for Aquaman and The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced the movie would be “the largest film ever to be filmed” in NSW – bringing at least A$350 million (NZ$378.1m) into the state’s economy and involving 850 jobs.

Furiosa has attracted filming incentives from both the state and Australian governments, including the reinstated 40 per cent tax break known as the producer offset that was announced earlier this month.

Miller has just finished filming the fantasy drama Three Thousand Years of Longing, with Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton, in Sydney.

He will then return to the Mad Max series more than 40 years after the first instalment – which starred Mel Gibson as a damaged cop roaming the lawless Australian wasteland – with a shoot that will take place in Sydney and elsewhere in the state including Broken Hill.

Fury Road, the fourth instalment, famously took 12 years to get made with three major delays and a switch of continents to Namibia when heavy rain made the desert around Broken Hill too much like a garden to pass for a post-apocalyptic landscape.

But it was a triumph when it was released in 2015.

As well as taking US$375m (NZ$521.4m) at the worldwide box office, Fury Road was widely acclaimed and won six Oscars as well as being nominated for best picture and director.

That triumph soured when production company Kennedy Miller Mitchell became mired in a bitter court battle with Warner Bros over unpaid earnings that threatened to block the production of both Furiosa and another planned sequel.

Delighted to be getting to shoot the new instalment close to home, Miller said the dispute had been resolved with new leadership at the studio.

“Since we started Fury Road I think there’s been six different regimes at Warner Bros,” he said. “Now it’s stabilised very much and they’re able to basically pay attention coherently to the films they want to make and this is one of them.”

Miller described Furiosa as a saga.

“Whereas Fury Road essentially happened over three days and two nights, this happens over many years,” he said. ”You try to make films that are ‘uniquely familiar’.

“This will be familiar to those people who know Mad Max, and in particular Fury Road, but also it will be unique.”

Miller plans to shoot Furiosa next year once he finishes post-production on Three Thousand Years of Longing.

He had planned to shoot a key sequence before June 30 but the federal government’s decision to reverse a planned winding back of the producer offset to 30 per cent has taken off the pressure.

“We had vehicles built, stunts prepared and we were well into that process,” he said.

While many big movies have been heading to streaming services, Miller said “this is a story that I can’t wait to see in a cinema”.

Hemsworth said that having grown up watching Miller’s iconic series, joining the cast was the biggest “pinch myself moment” in his acting career.

“It’s a huge honour,” he said. “A lot of pressure but exciting pressure that is certainly motivating.”

Furiosa continues the boom in Hollywood-backed production since Australia became one of the world’s most Covid-safe filming locations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Live action Scooby Doo looking good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mobby_6kl posted:

Some wedges I came across, most I'm sure have been posted in AI before, but it would be a shame not to

This is still what the future looks like to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krakox posted:

all this uteposting rules. I'm rebuilding my Dodge Rampage's carb this afternoon, and I'll take new pics if I get her running.

Reminds me of how much I want an El Camino even though I'm pretty sure I've forgotten how to drive a stick.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Interesting that Mercedes of all companies is looking to try and make EVs as efficient as possible rather than just loading in a battery pack and a high power motor into a vaguely modified ICE chassis. 747 miles on a charge is respectable for real and again makes the argument for lower powered, lower speed vehicles being the way forward.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/mercedes-vision-eqxx-prototype-review-range-specs-driving

drat that's a beauty.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I can't hate on this kind of lawbreaking...
apparently a few years ago but still, blessing everyone with some good noises.

https://twitter.com/EngineMode11/status/1558767521972584449?s=20&t=ILGTr35LkBagDF-ky75PnQ

I remember this movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
On this page a lot of terrible car poo poo is being posting in the wrong thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AirRaid posted:

It’s even more hilarious when you see one of the big ones in England. I don’t think they even sell the bigger ones here but there are obviously a few imports. They are ludicrously big on our roads.

Aren't there a bunch of roads there they wouldn't even fit on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

slidebite posted:

gently caress THIS

DRIVEWAY

Trees are the nerve centers of a driveway, so he was really giving it a drat good thrashing.