Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Where does K'Nex fall into this hierachy? Was there a LEGO ferris wheel set?

K'Nex loving owned. I had a giant loving roller coaster that took up half my bedroom at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Or adjust their output based on vehicle speed or attempt to focus the beam in any sort of vaguely safe or usable fashion.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm surprised Audi or Mercedes hasn't come up with some kind of brake by wire system with a the radiator for the fluid yet as an integral component.

Slight adjustment. Also somehow the braking and cooling systems would both become significantly less reliable in the process.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think those are the kind of trucks that go from one job site to another. They get them to the mine somehow, and they just stay there until the mine closes or they're scrapped.

Fun fact: I hear one tire costs about $70,000.

Yeah. Those Komatsu trucks at least leave the plant as a mostly complete frame via rail car or an oversized load tractor trailer*. Most of the stuff that is inside the frame will be installed, including the diesel engine, along with a few bits that don't stick out too far. Everything else is shipped separately to the final destination where it all gets assembled.

*I think those ones get put on a barge a short distance away

Here's a timelapse of the 930e getting assembled. At 0:29 you can see the frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Zvq-bboaQ

xzzy posted:

A Caterpillar engineer I was chatting with once explained that a lot of those rigs are custom designed specific to the job site, and yeah, they're shipped in parts. Still really loving big parts, but a little bit more manageable.

When an order is in discussions, they'll send the engineers to the work site to get requirements and survey the area to make sure they can deliver the proper machinery.

A lot of the equipment isn't all that much different from a car when it comes to the purchase. You pick the general type of thing you want and then choose the options. The bigger stuff is somewhat low volume and costs millions of dollars though so the dealers are usually pretty happy to make sure the customer is happy and gets what they need. I don't know that every single truck is unique but the design is usually being constantly refined so it might be close. Cat actually has a UAV group now to survey mine sites and such and help the mine owners increase efficiency.

Galler fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

My guess from the size and shape is that those are electric drive motors and these things work like diesel/electric locomotives, but without rails.

Yup. Komatsu's big haul trucks are diesel/electric. They also have some 'small'er diesel only (usually referred to as mechanical drive) trucks. Cat still has a lot of mechanical drive trucks, including their biggest truck IIRC, but has been making progress on electric drive trucks and have a number of electric drive versions.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Posting to see if it makes the forums load a phantom SSS post.

fake edit: Success

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure we should have called the police, so they could have contacted the owner.

But the police station is like 500 meters away, and we didn't want to make them walk all the way over here :v:

Next time you can compromise and deliver the offending vehicle to the police station :haw:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Moog is actually a pretty cool dude in real life sooooooo....

Too bad he's such an obnoxious twat on video then. I really want to like MCM but I just cannot stand him.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pop up headlights, mid engined, pop up headlights, turbo, pop up headlights, LS engine, and pop up headlights? Basically perfection.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I watched one of his videos probably a year or two ago and I couldn't get over how he was trying so hard to be jeremy clarkson. That was enough for me.

Yep. The world only needs at most one Jeremy Clarkson and Doug is pretty poo poo a pretty poo poo Clarkson.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Needs a matching motorcycle that fits into and gets launched out of the front bit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

"How is this even legal??"

Because it's classified as a motorcycle, dummy. Any state that doesn't have vehicle inspections will be happy to register your busa-engined frankentrike as long as you have a motorcycle license and wear a helmet.

Illinois doesn't even require the helmet but I'm not sure Illinois even qualifies as a state anymore.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Pagani interiors are the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I genuinely couldn't drive one as I'd feel like such a twat, they're the most chintzy looking poo poo ever.

I sort of agree but also want to live in whatever techno future universe where that shits the norm.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They've been very busy. Holy poo poo

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Should be tomorrow sometime. Supporting them on Patreon is only $1 (or more if you want) per video

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The Nestle plant that makes canned pumpkin puree unloads trailers carrying pumpkins like that.

Streetview of a trailer being emptied:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6150747,-89.4643423,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seg4D4c9ZG7x4jTZS4OQ7NQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

The programmers dilemma. Which is worse: it's broken and I don't know why, or it's fixed and I don't know why.

It's broken and I don't know why is the expected state. It's fixed and I don't know why means it's actually still broken, but now I can't easily troubleshoot it and it's going to fail at some inconvenient point in the future. In fact, it will probably fail again while I'm working on something unrelated causing an 'it's broken and I don't know why' situation.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've only put a couple hundred miles on my bike over the past few years. I like riding but the weather here is garbage 10 months of the year and there aren't too many places worth riding to. Looks like I'm moving to Oregon though so maybe I'll get some more riding in out there.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Totally #blessed to not die in this terrible crash. Not blessed enough to not get into it in the first place though

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've only seen a handful of foot activated hatches being used out in the wild but none of them have seemed to work all that well. It's usually someone with their hands full barely managing balance on one leg while swinging the other around under the car for 20 seconds until it finally pops open or they give up and use their hands. I'm not sure if it's user error, if the sensor gets covered in road grime immediately after exiting the dealer lot, or if the system just kind of sucks.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It was so good it was threatening to make all other motorsport irrelevant. Like what Rust In Peace did to all forms of art.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I believe Patreon money allowed them to start focusing on Binky a year ago or so. Up until then it was just a side project they worked on whenever there was free time and available funds.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I just assume all artist statements are jokes. If any of them are real they're still hilarious but for different reasons.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

At least the car is appropriately derpy for an adult that would ride a scooter.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Steve French posted:

I'm really curious which wheels on this thing are driven, if any, and how

I really want the Suzuki to be integral to the movement of the tractor camper somehow. Perhaps the back wheels of both vehicles are connected together by an overly elaborate series of gears, chains, and shafts.

stone soup posted:

last time i posted a volvo ute i did it in the wrong thread so heres to hoping this lands in a better spot

Extremely dope

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Never too Olds for a DIC joke

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You can both cook and eat breakfast in bed

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Right thread. Fight me.

:colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

How unsafe does something need to be before it becomes uncool? Are we talking like anything pre 2000 or is it more of a sliding scale?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Install a longitudal battery at the center line, with openings at the front and back. Drive straight at a fresh battery, let it push the old battery out the back.

An 18650 battery is 18mmx65mm so this would be, what, a couple 36013000 batteries?

I really like the idea of the pit stop being a car rotisserie where they flip the car over, pop open the hatch, and pull out and 3-4 giant cylindrical batteries, replace cover, and put it back on on its wheels. Preferably with the driver inside the whole time.

E: I checked the ifixit guide for replacing the battery in my surface pro 3 and, well, it's just going to spend the rest of its life tethered to the wall. I'm kind of surprised it can still go 1-2 hours unplugged after nearly 8 years (holy poo poo... If someone had walked up and asked me how long I had had that thing I would have been like idk 4 years?)

Galler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 8, 2022

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

I hope you can see where I am going with this.

:hmmyes: burnouts for distance world records

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, come on, the dorito doesn't stroke it spins(ish)

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 26, 2022

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If only it was a wagon

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

NumptyScrub posted:

Sure I know in my head that the C8 is mechanically far superior, but the sharkbody lives forever in my heart (and Gran Turismo and also Forza)

Yeah, same, everything other than the exterior appearance might be garbage but I still love it. Someday I want to own one and put a ls in it but I'm sure I'll buy it, gut it, and then probably do nothing else.

E: maybe I can buy someone else's project so I can achieve the same effect without the effort.

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 22, 2022

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Look at all those fukkin buttons :eyepop: That should have been the automotive future instead of touchscreen bullshit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hot take: top fuel dragsters suck. They can only go fast because they were made to go fast

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

boxen posted:

So, imagine all the effort it takes to make drag cars go fast and instead design a car that when you push the go pedal, the front wheels come off the ground. Ditch the go fast bit entirely. That's gotta be cooler than going in a straight line, right?

That's a good starting point but I want the front wheels to keep going around.

Burnout -> staging -> backflip -> 1/4 mile pass

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The sci-fi super computer on the center console is very appropriate for what is clearly a spaceship.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

There are horror stories for every insurance company. 10ish years ago a tornado took out a chunk of Washington, IL. I was living about 10 miles away and was fine, but I knew plenty of people who were directly or indirectly affected by it and the people with State Farm had a much worse time than those with any other insurance provider. You would think State Farm might put in a little bit of effort when their customers are 30 miles away from State Farm HQ but nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The warehouse or w/e they're in might not be big enough to get a new truck in frame without a fisheye lens.