Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

It happens in my prius too, I tend to bury my foot at stop lights and anyone in a fancy car next to me tends to respond by also burying their foot because gently caress if they're gonna let a shameful hybrid be in the front!

The most fun to be had in a Prius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The idea that people with expensive performance cars are quiet respectful sophisticates and only the coarse commoners in their cheap boy racer cars are rude assholes is laughable. Maybe they don't behave that way in your neighborhood, but they definitely do in mine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mahatma-Squid posted:

They're pretty good cars, just not a great value proposition new.

And definitely not a great value proposition once the warranty is up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

No, you see, in a busy city, you need to be sure that pedestrians can hear an EV over the cement trucks and dump trucks crashing through intersections, restaurants blasting music out onto empty patios, homeless people shouting at ghosts, ICE cars with noise for the sake of more noise exhausts, jackhammering, concrete sawing, even the loving sparrows are loud noise pollution that nobody seems concerned about because they all wear noise isolating/cancelling headphones everywhere so they don't go loving deaf. So let's make a quiet vehicle noisy so we can be part of the problem that we refuse to acknowledge exists!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bbbbut blind people! You run over blind people!
Trust me we do a drat fine job running over sighted people in this city, and nobody gives a poo poo about that. Do we really need to legislate noisemakers? How about we enforce traffic laws, and change poo poo where cars and pedestrians can occupy the same space so that they don't/can't/shouldn't ever have to. Oh wait we can just force the manufacturers to slap a white noise bandaid on it at very little public cost and say it's to help blind people, instead of getting poo poo right in the first place? Let's do that then.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Story time:
Since I've been commuting by car again, I've been noticing this orange lamborghini huracan on its way to wherever at the same time of the morning, out in the suburbs where my office is.
It hurts to see.
I've always loved lamborghinis. To me they've always been truly exotic. The playthings of wealthy playboys, entertainers and drug lords. Not something you drive to work Monday to Friday 9 to 5 out in the bleak suburban wastelands. I mean, kudos to this guy daily driving it to his lucrative business selling groffel grommets or making bus station advertising signs or whatever passes for excitement out here.
It just cheapens the whole experience of seeing one. Seeing an orange lamborghini should brighten your day, not be cause to reflect on the bleakness of existence.
It's like seeing a prize winning thoroughbred being used to pull a dung cart.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Eyud posted:

Yeah, warehouse sized garages full of exotic treasures that never get driven are way more depressing than a Lambo in the suburbs

Around here I'm sure every supercar is owned by some shithead tech CEO or shithead college kid with rich parents but I still enjoy seeing/hearing them occasionally

Thats kind of my point though. A Lambo should be owned by a shithead CEO, rich college kid, trust fund euro trash, or drug dealer. Not someone who has to toil at a regular job for a living like the rest of us schlubs.
I'm not saying it should be kept in a garage, but it should be parked outside a snobby cafe that serves champagne at 10am on a weekday. Or a skeezy nightclub on a Friday night. Or a boutique clothing shop in the expensive part of town.
Obviously the guy is welcome to use his car however he sees fit, but a car like that should imply that you don't have to walk through the mud, not that you can afford to wear your good shoes while walking through the mud.
I've never seen a Murcielago or Diablo commuting. I guess what I'm saying is witnessing this, it speaks to me about the commodification of the brand, which makes me sad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Midjack posted:

Pure uncut lmao at someone unironically gatekeeping for Lamborghini.

A Lambo is a villain's car, or at very least a rogue's. Or it was, anyway. Now, poo poo, it feels like it might as well be a Corvette.
I guess the Huracan is just the Gallardo replacement and meant to occupy that tier, but for some reason the Gallardo didn't feel quite so common. Maybe because I was used to seeing them around central London, and associated that with ill-gotten gains, rather than Outer Mississauga, and thus now associating them with the soul-crushing monotony of suburban life.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Ha, back in the Before Times I used to commute through this area daily and I think I've seen this dude lol

Related, my wife and I were driving on I-5 near Everett yesterday and saw a car that made both of us say "what the gently caress?"

(not my photos)

"Was that a Ferrari... station wagon?"

(to be fair I don't know supercars well enough to know if it was exactly this, but it was black, and looked exactly like this, and I can't imagine many other cars look like that)

Nah, that's just the new Mazda 3 hatch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Memento posted:

Having driven a Diablo through city traffic I can tell you the reason you've never seen anyone commuting one is that they are an unmitigated trashfire to drive anywhere except a track.

As it should be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the hell? This has to be one of the worst takes I've read. Screw that DD a Lambo is cool AF.

You know Lambos tow trailers with goats in Australia, right? THAT is how a Lambo should be used, not.... whatever.

Edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYMAbF3dP2M - Lambo with goats. Def wrong thread

Yeah see now this is good and proper. Here's a guy towing goats with his murc. He is immediately intriguing. A wealthy, eccentric farmer? Tax sheltering charity petting zoo? Taken as collateral? This draws attention, like a good lamborghini should. A ute towing a goat trailer, nobody even blinks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw a genesis G70 at the gas station this morning. It has this weird shiny fake grille patch thing in the middle of the grille:

Lmao that has to be the worst active cruise control sensor camo ever. Yup just print the grille pattern over it, I'm sure nobody will notice the difference!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

david_a posted:

NEED A LITTLE EXTERMINATION?

I'm sure it's effective, but it just seems a bit cruel to trick the poor bastards into cannibalism before snapping their spines.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I only made tamales once and actually they weren't too much of a pain, but I cheated by using canned Goya hominy that I boiled and mashed, instead of from scratch masa, and they turned out really good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Midjack posted:

This thing has to be a delight to turn:

All the axles can probably crab, and/or rear counter-steer, and/or one side reverse to tank-turn.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rest of the world: word-space-word. What is so difficult. It's a space, between words.
Computer touchers: :catstare:%20:flip:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remember when I was saying how lamborghini is a villain's car?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wouldn't you want the inlet pointing backwards to keep the dust out? Or does it not matter?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's supposed to be a metaphor for how the last sprint went. I ... think we were supposed to think of things that corresponded to like, the car (things that moved us forward), or the chute (things that held us back), or the bridge (???), or the guy in the pit (??????)

You know, an easily relatable situation we've all been in. Driving our racecar over a bridge so we don't fall in and kill some guy.

I was trying to figure out why the engine was in the front or why the assumption was that the chute was like, always deployed and dragging behind you, or whether an F1 car would even be able to get over an arched bridge like that, and nobody else could make heads or tails of it either and we gave up

fake edit: in a scrum retro many years ago

Yup, still no clue what any of this is about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think the worst thing is an electric car doesn't have to adhere to a lot of the conventions of normal car design so you can go pretty crazy with it. ....and this boring looking thing with an enormous vestigial grille is what they turn out.

At least their bike development team are doing something interesting I guess. Fully electric scootay.

That seat looks brutally uncomfortable but I guess my rear end would have to suffer for the art because the whole thing is gorgeous. Probably the first BMW motorcycle you could actually say that about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I appreciate automotive trolling but I cannot in good conscience put this in any other thread than this.

https://twitter.com/JB_Barrington/status/1327674991266177024?s=19

That is tremendous commitment to awfulness, and I'm with you on it. It deserves pride of place here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Airline-level safety for cars is impossible for a variety of reasons. But a nice first step would be to mandate that drivers pass regular tests and maintain currency, as is required for airline pilots. Even private pilots have to do a flight review every two years, which is officially not a test in that there are no explicit standards, but it might as well be because if the instructor you do it with doesn't like your flying and refuses to sign you off, you're grounded.

I say we retest every licensed driver every 5 years (every 3 when you're above 70) -- just have them do the exact same driving test as a new driver, with the same standards. If you fail, your license is revoked until you can come back and pass. If you score in the bottom 25% based on last year's scores, you have to attend a weekend driver's ed course to keep your license (but don't have to repeat the test).

Sagebrush for president 2024

The problem with this proposal is that unlike the FAA, there is no federal level driving standards agency, it's down to the state/province (who, in America, is more likely than not to be so broke they can't even fix the roads, let alone justify a vastly expanded DMV bureacracy.)
The places where strict licensing and testing regimens exist are all generally single state countries with a strong, centralized federal government. That kind of system isn't tenable if Alberta decides that their driving test standard is going to be "can you get your pickup out of the ditch without spilling your beer", and Ontario decides their test is going to be "did you manage to not kill any pedestrians".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

there has to be a logical explanation right

like he got a flat but drove on it to the gas station, and that's the full-sized spare he's about to install, but he found that it was low on air as they always are

right

Changing over to his snow tires in the gas station parking lot and airing them up at the same time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

I have a 2012 Mini base right now. I like it, it's pretty fun to drive and when I drove it to Indy for the 500 last year (from Massachusetts) I got over 40mpg with it. I get about 35 for an average with my normal driving. I'd say the interior is about the same as a 1991 Camaro I had, size wise. The front seats are pretty comfy, plenty of headroom and it has a back seat but no human adult with legs could actually sit in those seats. I'm only 5'10" and the driver's seat is almost touching the rear seat when sitting normally.

I honestly never considered getting one because I hate the center dash display, but my wife test drove one and I rode along and realized there is a tach and info screen that tells you everything you need to know mounted above the steering wheel and I was all for it. My wife didn't end up buying the car we test drove but like a year later I bought the one I have now. My only complaint is that it is a BMW and all parts are insanely expensive. I either bought a lemon or all their parts start failing before 100,000miles. Alternator, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, air conditioning recharge, clutch, all done before 100,000 miles. I would buy another one, but I would not buy one that is over 5 years old.

With the Mini, BMW somehow managed to capture both the essence of British built motoring and experience of the finest German life-limited parts in one little yellow citrusy package.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's ok, they have other brands. Audi will be back next year in endurance racing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I have mixed feelings about some really classic music because "Southern Man", really?

But also, Freebird rocks, Molly Hatchet had some jams, :shrug:

You mean the Neil Young song? That Sweet Home Alabama was a response to?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I know a guy with 7 kids. It’s the magical number where you plus spouse and kids cannot drive a normal vehicle and either have to get a passenger van or take 2 cars. It sounds horrible.

Pfft, Americans :rolleye:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

POWER BULGE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

We really are all just slightly evolved apes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Somehow I missed this until today.

The '20 Audi S6 Avant:

Oo, nice sporty quad exhaust!

Nope:

..and that's the only exhaust. There's nothing on the other side at all.

Also, it's only available in a 3.0L diesel. The *S*6, only comes with a diesel.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/say-hello-to-my-new-audi-s6-yes-the-one-with-the-fake-exhaust-tips/

and yeah, it's got a fake noise system to make it sound like a petrol V8 inside the car.

Just because I hate it so much, I'm going to post the '21 4-series and its ridiculous grilles again:

edit:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-fake-exhaust-pipes-that-make-expensive-cars-look-cheap/
Related: the fake exhausts are a thing that needs to stop. I don't mind so much the "floating" exhaust openings if there's an actual exhaust there, but mutliplying or completely faking poo poo, particularly on a supposedly premium vehicle, where actually engineering the exhaust can be afforded, is just terrible. The very definition of disingenuous. Is it really beyond the reach of modern carmakers to make the exhaust come out where they want for appearances' sake, and stay there?
That poo poo up there is a step up beyond the second tailpipe I spotted on a Toyota Camry that was just a pipe welded to the back of the muffler. At night, my headlights shone straight up that pipe to show that it dead-ended at the muffler. That was factory.

Haha I just noticed one of those Camry exhausts on the way in to work the other day. Cars have had plain bumpers with hidden, down-pointing exhausts for decades and its been fine, though they tend to be plebian economy models. One wouldn't want one's Audi to be associated with such riff-raff. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure the real exhaust on that Audi is because of diesel particulate emissions. Something about firing that poo poo directly onto the road surface leads to people dying of less cancer or something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only thing special about the mark iv supra was you could put a turbo the size of an APU on one and make 1200 RWDyno horsepower, eventually, once it spun up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Frond posted:

To be fair I don’t really know what the difference between a Sports or a GT car is. The fact that they have full power options and Automatic Climate Control? I think these things are expected at the price points these cars were sold at.

NOBODY in the market for Sports GT cars likes cranking the windows up and down, or being uncomfortably hot. This was true in 1986 and it’s the same today.

Unless you're a Porschist, in which case you'd pay extra for the privilege.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Majere posted:

when are we going to get over the mindset of carbon fiber being "exotic" and "expensive"? it is neither in terms of manufacturing and end product forming. fake vinyl carbon fiber wrap is more expensive per yard at this point.

I was going to say still 10x pricier than steel, but then that's by weight, and you can make a whole lot more chassis out of a pound of CFRP than you can steel. 10x more?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Wasn't the problem with carbon fiber that it's a huge pain to repair? I seem to remember something about it a while back where damage wasn't repairable, they had to replace whatever panel(s) entirely.

It is a huge pain to repair, and an even huger pain to determine whether it needs repair.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

and when He had given thanks, He shook it and said, “Take, eat; this is My booty which is shaken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Victory pipes if they're just massive/multiple. Takeyari (bamboo spear) is specifically the oblique slash cut iirc

Content:

https://twitter.com/wrenching_wench/status/1347465245854457856?s=20

I think I know which one they're supposing is which in this photo, but really it could go either way.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

THAT IS AN EXCELLENT PRICE CONSIDERING THEY USE FINE, GERMAN L.E.D.S IN THAT GRILLE.

Oh no no no. Those LEDs will be baked right in to the grille. The entire thing will be a separate part number. When you think about it, $500 for a whole new grille is a bit of a bargain. Imagine how much it will cost to replace it when the warranty is up and one of those LEDs shorts out or the integral fuse on the strip pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Algorithm sent me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnej-xksgBc

I couldn't watch it to the end. It's one thing to "know" people like this are out there somewhere, it's another thing entirely to have the crime scenes streamed directly to your living room. People want to talk about right to repair, after watching this I feel like that is a right you need to earn.