Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Theory posted:

"we" have 3 manufacturers left that offer significant chunks of their fleet in manual, that's VW, Opel and Ford.

Uh what?

Peugeot/Citroën/DS, Renault, Fiat and Alfa Romeo offer most of their cars with manuals as standard, just off the top of my head.

And of course the Asian manufacturers offer just about everything with a manual.

Sure, if you can't fathom driving anything less than an M5 or something, yeah you're gonna get an autobox and nothing else. But to base you argument that "hardly anyone offers manuals anymore" on that is ridiculous. Your statement of "anything remotely interesting" speaks to a very snobbish view of cars.

Anyone who cannot have tons of fun in a 3-cylinder Peugeot 208 is no enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gomi Day posted:

[edit] albany emperor 4 lyfe

Hell yeah, brother.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drat :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Code Jockey posted:

Yank Tank is a wonderful phrase

A great term I saw recently is G.A.P.S. for "Great American Potency Syndrome", the need to have more than is needed, just in case.

More truck, more food, more guns, more prepper stockpiles, more MORE.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Honest cars are always awesome. Tiny cars are always awesome. Wrong thread.

Seconded and voted "awesome".

Small cars are the best cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why is the octane rating of gas in the US so low? I'm not sure if you can get anything less than 95 here.

The US uses AKI (anti-knock index), which is RON+MON/2, I'm a little impressed that it actually has the formula on the pump.

Most of the rest of the world is used to seeing RON, which will be slightly higher, I think 91 AKI is around 95 RON.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Midjack posted:

I loved my good old RSX-S, everything in the whole dash was red except for the blue dot that indicated the cool end of the climate control temperature dial, the amber LED that indicated recirculating air, and the green LED that indicated the air conditioning was on. Everything else was this beautiful dark red that you could dim down to almost nothing.

On my Peugeot 406, everything* was orange and the entire center console, radio etc was on the same dimmer as the gauge cluster. It was such a pleasant cockpit.

* Except I think indicators and low beam, which were green, and of course the critical warning lights, which were red. The only blue light was the high beam, as per tradition and legal requirements.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ror posted:

I wish we had the reverse yellow light thing in the US. I feel like every time it's brought up people say that it would make people jump the light or pay less attention or some other problem, but does that happen in other countries that have it? I wonder if anyone has actually done a study to see the effects.

It's extremely rare that I see someone jump the light and start driving on the yellow, before it turns green. Regular old stale yellow/red light runners are a much more regular occurrence.

I also see a lot more idiots creeeeeeeping at the light while it's red, and then completely fail to actually go when it actually turns green. It's made even more bizarre by the fact that most cars sold here are manuals.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just what the world needs, more car dependency!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No one is denying there is cars with issues but still better than the average Italian or french car.

Italian cars maybe, but absolutely not French cars. My 2000 Peugeot 406 had better fit and finish than a brand new Tesla, and both PSA and Renault have greatly improved their quality and reliability on top of that over the last two decades.

Drive a 308, 508, Megane or Talisman sometime, they're seriously good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They did sort that out somewhat with the 206 RC, it had tighter suspension and a 180hp NA 2.0L.

They don't make real proper hot hatches anymore, but even the standard 208 is a hoot to drive.

My 406 was certainly well at home on the highway, throw it in 5th and just cruise at 150kph all day. Very comfortable and predictable suspension and handling, with better cornering than you'd expect from a family sedan. I could get it to 4-wheel drift in the snow with very little effort. 160hp wasn't mind-blowing, but it got out of its own way well enough.

I miss driving that car. I don't miss the gas mileage and insurance.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 21, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Look To Your Orb For The Lane Change Warning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boo this man, boo!

All dogs are good dogs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

gently caress it, make everyone breathalyzer to use a car, it’s a privilege after all

That's treating a symptom, and badly at that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

These all look pretty realistic.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BustletonAuto/status/1464368574001201155

https://mobile.twitter.com/BustletonAuto/status/1464002115362299909

Very forward-looking design for 1992.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BustletonAuto/status/1464243692781416454

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flyinglemur posted:

Isn't that fairly standard these days? My wife's 2016 Renegade has that feature - tap it for the lane change and go for the click if you're going to turn. Small sample size but between that and my '19 Dodge, I can safely say that every car has had that since 2016 and beyond. I will link my research and my onlyfans page in the comments section

How BMW (and presumably Ford) does it, there is no click. The stalk always returns to center, and the determining factor in whether you signal 3-5 for lane changes or keep signaling is how long/far you pushed the stalk.

It's maddening.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

Don't get me wrong. I want a Tesla. A carefully wrecked one so I can gut the drivetrain out of it to put in something else. Just needs to come along at the right price.

Buick Roadmaster wagon, fake wood paneling and all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:sickos:

Absolutely looking forward to the chaos videos.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just use the loving blinkers, you pricks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Standardization is good. We need to have common, open and enforced standards.

If someone wants to come up with a brilliant connector design, they can submit it to become the new standard connector or an approved alternative for special use cases.

I don't care about Apple's whining about "not being able to innovate". A proprietary, incompatible connector is not innovative.

E: while we're at it, standardize all food and drink containers, too. I don't give a poo poo about Coca-Cola and their "unique bottle design". They're selling soda, so they can use The Standard Carbonated Beverage Bottle.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 9, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, Tesla are the assholes for eventually locking it.

In any other business, "well, your original spare part isn't available anymore, it's been replaced with this higher-spec part, so you're getting that instead. Enjoy the upgrade!" is pretty common.

Tesla want to have their cake and eat it too, by artificially limiting the hardware they sell, even retroactively.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 28, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ether Frenzy posted:

Eye doctor actually. I don't know what else is in the building but they have the top two floors of a 5 story.

That makes sense, you'd have to be blind to buy a Bentayga.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Asbestos, free!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As long as the noise is turned off in residential areas, except at parking lot speeds, let them make some sound.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Did truly awful drivers exist pre-SUV or were bad drivers made worse by the 'power' of a particularly tall steel box? 'cos there's a LOT of them about these days.

Bad drivers have always existed, but I think the same hyper-individualism and ego-stroking that gave birth to the "rugged outdoors independent REAL WORK safety unstoppable tank" image of SUVs has resulted in shittier behavior on the roads.

Driving like an idiot in a 60hp hatchback is one thing, doing the same in a giant heavy 300+hp SUV with bad visibility is something else entirely. Physics will always catch up to you.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 14, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My Peugeot did the same thing. Oil level shown for a bit when you start the car, plus a normal dipstick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The oil change interval on my previous car was 30K km or annually, and I think it's the same for the Hyundai we just bought. Everything else I've owned/maintained was 20K km or annually.

(Maybe the '88 Corolla was an exception, but I changed it annually and it had over 200K km with no issues at all when I sold it)

US oil change intervals are comically short, probably because of the crap engines and oils of the past, plus of course oil companies/dealerships.

Synthetic oil lasts a long time, yo.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 29, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well yeah, I do check once in a while and top up as needed.

The Fiat used no oil at all, the Peugeot used 1L per 10K km. Dunno about the Hyundai yet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Manufacturers claim it's to aid MPG yet it makes a tiny amount of difference. They will of course sell you a full size spare for several hundred dollars :v:

On our Hyundai, the full-size spare wheel well is there, but it's mostly empty with just a tiny toolkit and a can of fix-a-flat in there.

I guess it works as additional secret storage space, but I'd rather have a proper spare wheel.

The Peugeot had a full-size matching OEM alloy spare wheel, which I have to admit was kinda baller.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 16, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

FR-S torque dick

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nissan's variable compression engine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jonny Nox posted:

ok, what the hell? This video is from this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_tFb2ohx4

Literally never heard about this car before, now everyone is talking about it.

I had to dig up this old classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWI_jc4agYs