Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Magnatux posted:

2: Smash-rostered sports + kart racing like a "Smash Universe Tournament" or something.

Super Nintendo Kart. The only downside I see is that to have Samus in her ship race Link on Epona one of them would have to have a ludicrous speed change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Luxury! In my day, we had to do it with half a health bar, in dire need of weapon energy, and our mam turning off the console right as we got to the last boss because it was time for bed. :corsair:.

The password one's a bit believable. Password screens have been dead since the early 90's after all, and that was... twenty... years ago... Oh god, I feel old :cripes:.

Join the club. Remember floppy disks?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

The interesting thing about the Retro game is that they have said that it's "something that people have wanted them to make", or something along those lines. So who knows.

Even if this were true it would be a useless statement. It's Retro. With their track record we want to give every game license to them just to see what they do with it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Well Microsoft, Sony, EA and Ubisoft have their conferences today so it's still pretty exciting. I guess there's a small chance we could get a new Wii U game from Ubisoft today? Anything Nintendo related from EA seems very unlikely.

I'd rather get the OLD Wii U game from Ubisoft. :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Sadly he is not.

Weird bit of news today. Apparently Ubisoft is now REALLY INTO the second screen experience and they have a 50 person team dedicated to implementing asymmetric gameplay ideas. On the PS4 and XBone :psyduck:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-02-ubisoft-convinced-second-screen-gaming-is-the-future

"Wow that's a cool idea Nintendo... OK time to get a slice of that app store money, peace!"

2003: Nintendo releases the GBA-GC link cable, allowing for asymmetric gameplay and interesting screen dynamics. It flops due to the expense of requiring a GBA and cable for every player, and as a result developers can't assume players have access to it.

2008: A very limited second attempt of Wii-DS connectivity is attempted. Main use I recall is for moving Pokemon between systems and for patching a couple of cartridges.

2012: Believing that anything that was worth screwing up the first time is worth trying again later with lessons learned, the WiiU comes out bundles with what is essentially a GBA touchscreen controller, allowing for asymmetric gameplay without buying extra peripherals. Developers still don't know what to do with it, but like the DS/3DS at least if they want to figure it out they know the player has the things needed for the game.

2013: Always eager to get in on a good thing after Nintendo works out the kinks, Microsoft and Sony make their new systems able to use a peripheral for asymmetric gameplay. That needs to be bought separately. Despite developer PR, see 2003 for my prediction on how it will end up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I remember when devs of all consoles tried to tap into the 3D mascot platformer market, Blink on Xbox, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, many others whose names I have forgotten...

The only successful ones besides Mario and Sonic are probably Crash, Spyro, Sly Cooper, Jak, Ratchet and Rayman.

Sounds like a challenge. Other mascot platformers off the top of my head: Bubsy, Earthworm Jim, Aero the Acro-Bat, Boogerman, Gex, Mohawk (I think there's more to the name but to check I'd have to use Google), Medieval Pigs or something like that, and I'm running on fumes now with some others I recall but nor their names.

If you sell a game, you've sold a game. If you sell a mascot you sell the game, the keychains, the t-shirts, the comic book, the cartoon series... Everyone wanted a piece of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Random unfounded :tinfoil:conspiracy:tinfoil: bullshit idea:

EVO never talked to Nintendo, is doing this to draw attention to the games they are streaming, and using it as an excuse to remove Smash Bros from the public eye (though the matches will still occur). Probably got a bag full of money from the folks replacing Smash in the boradcast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

There really was but after launch no one bought it. Red Steel 2 was a really cool game and sold like poo poo, Goldeneye was a modest success, HotD:O's numbers were pretty low but Sega said they were happy with it, NMH2 flopped and I know there's many more if I went through my Wii collection. It seemed like any time a publisher decided to test the waters with Wii games it flopped except for Sonic and one Tiger Woods game.

Red Steel 2 had the downside of being named Red Steel. Goldeneye was wonderful but all my friends thought it was a HD remake of the N64 game. Lack of "hey guys this is a new game" publicity.

Mostly Wii games tend to suffer from lack of media attention. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Wii does some clever things with the Wiimote (you can create hooks/pillars, in specific parts at first but halfway through you can start putting them anywhere you want for some clever tricks avoiding puzzles), but the idiots at Ubisoft made four COMPLETELY DIFFERENT games for DS, PSP, Wii, and XBox/PS3, and gave them the same name. Then they only did a media push on the last one so people thought the other ones were ports.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Where does the 101 come from anyway, if the superhero team's the Wonderful 100? I assumed Wonder Red would be a new guy who wasn't part of the official team and thus the one, but that looks like it isn't the case. Is it a cheesy "...and YOU!" thing?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Turn all 100 heroes into Ewoks or random Muppets. AND YOU!

I'd play a Wonderful 101 Muppets. Gonzo would fit right in with the established character of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Probably not Wonder Red in Smash, then.

Wonderful 101 Red Hot Rumble.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also, demos of upcoming games should be mandated or something. There's no better way to sell a game.

I agree mainly because I've got an oldish computer so "how does it actually run" is an important question for me, but I can understand why more companies don't.
--A bad demo of a good game will reduce sales.
--A good demo of a good well-hyped game (your Mass Effects or Call of Dutys) won't do much and takes a lot of work.
--A bad demo of a bad game reduces sales.
--A good demo of a bad game doesn't exist.

The main place it helps is in exactly this sort of situation, where it's a good demo of a good game that would otherwise fly under a lot of radars. They could have relied on word of mouth once the game came out (something Nintendo seems to like to rely on for publicity outside folks who watch Nintendo Direct), but this and Pikmin are set up to be system-sellers after a lot of folks have forgotten about the Wii U. So they want to push demos and get people hyped because they'd really like strong opening sale numbers. Push it to the system-owners, get them hyped, get them showing it to their friends, and get people over that cost hump of buying the system in order to play the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what one of the things that made so many people angry at Aliens: Colonial Marines was? (Though granted it was a playable e3 demo, it was still a much superior build to what was actually released)

Okay fine, is very rare and probably energy better spent on the game. Demos help that launch sale rate, and after that a good demo of a bad game helps in massive backlash.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

What's the range on the handset? If I want to do some game handset-only in bed in a different room from the system, is that doable?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Okay, I never played Super Princess Peach; is it really that bad and deserving such mockery, or are folks going to a weird place with this?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I do the same thing at Fred Meyer (a classier Walmart-style chain in the pacific northwest). If it's sold out at Gamestop, FM has copies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If we're counting Clover games add Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble. Wanting thumbs on both sides of the gamepad and split-second use of the touchscreen, it would too easily misread one of the VFX commands as a different one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How much space do WiiU games take, and how's their availability on the store? After doing a lot of downloading on the 3DS I'm not sure I ever want to go back to finding where I put game disks ever again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

All of Nintendo's first party games get released on it, and Nintendo's games tend to be small, like 3-5 GB. It's up to other publishers if they want to release on the eShop. Something like Tekken can be up to 17 GB.

You really need an external hard drive (with its own power source) since 8 GB isn't enough space for more than a couple of games. Here's some info about supported drives http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_external_storage.jsp

Well I'd have the 25GB of the Deluxe since I'd get the Wind Waker system. As for more storage thanks for the info but drat, they only support Terabyte drives? I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a drive I'd use at MOST 10-20% of. Laaaaaaame.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

No.
2 terabytes is the maximum size, you can use a smaller one if you like.

Nintendo's page of compatible drives just lists 1 and 2TB.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Those are just the ones that are officially recommended. Any external with its own power source should work.

This may be a stupid question, is there any listing of drives where "external power source" is an option you can filter by? I'm trying to figure out what my options would be size/price-wise but I'm going cross-eyed looking at specs. Maybe I should limit my options, walk into Best Buy or something and see what they have on the shelf.

Bah, why can't I just put a 32GB SD card in there? It works for 3DS games...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Artix posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, but Wii U games are ~19 GB instead of the ~2 GB 3DS games are. :v:

Okay, where can I find size numbers? Earlier someone said "most are 3GB, but some are as big as 17GB." Is there a place to view the Wii U store (up to date, I've found some listings from 9 months ago)from a PC with game sizes so I could say "I'd want this this and this, so that would take up X space" and make a decision from there? I'm currently trying to guess with numbers I don't know and can't find.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 30, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

I want a wacky sitcom where Kamiya and Iwata are roommates.

Suda51 would be the neighbor across the hall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sony just announced a Vita box which plays, "play certain PS Vita games, as well as downloadable PSOne and PSP games."

Should Nintendo respond by making a 3DS Player for the Wii U?

One thing the Vita has going for it in this respect is that it's entirely digital. No need for cartridge input, it's just a box that plugs into the TV. A 3DS player would need cartridge support, and while the tablet can act as the bottom screen there's not a lot of consistency in how games use the two screens. Kid Icarus would play great, M&L Dream Team would do okay until you had to rotate the TV, 999 would have constant attention-switching to read lines between the top and bottom screens.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

japtor posted:

I have a bunch of digital games on 3DS.

So do I, but I don't think they can pull off digital-only. I have no clue if folks like us are the exception, but we're not the entirety.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Crowbear posted:

The VitaTV has a slot for physical Vita games.

I didn't realize the Vita took any cards. I'd heard "no UMD dock" and thought it was entirely online-based. Looks like I was wrong, they just put games on cards which look like their special memory cards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EllisD posted:

Yeah but I heard if your system gets stolen or is otherwise permanently damaged that you lose every game you've purchased on it, correct? That only gives thieves a bigger incentive to jack systems, because they're no longer seeing it as the value of the system alone, but that + hundreds of dollars of potential games. It actually makes me nervous to take my 3DS on a train and it's the reason I bought it. :\

It's not their policy to automatically replace them or anything, but Nintendo customer service is incredibly awesome and magical and if they have a way to do it they usually do so. I don't know about stolen systems, but for broken ones they can almost certainly transfer stuff to a replacement system even if you're out of warranty. I had one of the early Wiis brick on me and I think I had a replacement from them within a week.

Disclaimer: this is in no way a guarantee, if it were they'd have this replacement as a matter of official policy. If your poo poo does get broken and they say tough luck don't come crying to me. I would be surprised though, because as I said Nintendo CustServ is awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Then again, I am also of the opinion that Rayman Origins absolutely blew DKCR out of the water on every level, so take that as you will. v:shobon:v

I think they both nailed what they were trying to do very well. DKCR had some twitch bits that felt unfair while I dismissed them in Rayman because "it's Rayman", and Rayman also had checkpointing which was self-aware that some spots would have you trying them ten or twenty times and you shouldn't need to do the whole level to get back. DKCR felt like a proper DKC game though, and RO felt like a proper Rayman game, and that's really all I wanted from either of them. The polish and music and bits of awesome in both games were just delicious icing on the cake.

In this world we can have both chocolate AND vanilla ice cream. With sprinkles. Man, now I'm hungry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chaltab posted:

What annoys me is the transparently cynical nature of these patents suits. Even when the technologies are not being used in a way that infringes on or competes with the business of the original patent holder, or when the patent is for something general enough that two companies coming up with it independently is more likely than actual copying, they'll try the suit because apparently the rewards of successfully defrauding the US court system are substantially greater than the penalties for trying and failing.

I can't recall the difference in legislation between patents and trademarks and all that stuff, but for some of them you HAVE to act to defend it or it can be used as evidence to allow someone to more closely infringe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On my 3DS I love digital games. I can carry it around and have everything at hand, and if a memory card gets full I can just swap in a second. I'd appreciate it if having a physical registered (thus new) copy let you download a digital one, particularly for games that only hit the download store later like Virtue's Last Reward, but it's very handy.

On the Wii U the system will probably be sitting next to my game disks. Add to that the inability to partition an external hard drive, and if my downloads fill up the on-system drive I'd end up spending a lot of money on an external that would mostly be unusable empty space. It just doesn't feel useful in the same way the 3DS is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

citizenlowell posted:

I'm not so sure why you're hung up on the partition issue. I scored a 1TB drive for $40 that works with the Wii U, all of the drive is available for use with the Wii U and now that it's plugged in I don't expect I'll unplug it unless I move. None of that space is unusable to the Wii U. Getting a cheap drive and plugging it in and easy and it's the best experience I've had yet with expanding storage space on a console.

Because I don't like paying for stuff I'm not going to use. I'm the guy who doesn't supersize even if it's only a quarter, won't get cable for the sake of three good shows, and who maintains his car but didn't get a new one until the old one was 20 years old.

The WiiU requires their drives to have external power, which even if you can find it on the specs is not something that is clearly listed or sortable by in searches, but it looks like it's not on anything smaller than 500GB, and even then not often under a terabyte. At the high end of 20gigs a game I'd need to download 25 diffent games to fill it up. Meanwhile My PC's Terabyte drive is almost full of Steam games and other stuff, so if I could set aside half of that external drive to move things to it would take some of the sting off. When I jump on other people for listing Vita compatibility in the merits of a PS4 without including the price of the handheld in the cost, it would be unfair of me to not also consider that buying more than one bloatgame (not a measure of quality, just of size since Big N itself compresses them well) will require me to throw 40+ bucks into the pile that I can't make work for me in any other way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

deadwing posted:

Just picked up a used balance board from Gamestop for 20 bucks in preparation for Wii Fit U since I gave my Balance Board to my mom when I left my original Wii with my brother and parents. I was able to get one in essentially mint-condition, almost all the other ones were yellowed for reasons I don't want to think about. If you want to get in on Wii Fit U for 40 bucks instead of the 90 bucks the bundle will cost, get in now before Gamestop's boards get picked over.

My balance board's looking a little yellow and I assure you nothing weird has been done with it other than collecting dust under my TV table. Some effect of age perhaps?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

This feels like a stupid question, but is the WW bundle a limited offer or the new standard?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume it's been gone over before but I managed to hold off until the price drop. I've transferred my Wii to my WiiU, and there's no way to turn my 700 points into WiiU cash is there?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

deadwing posted:

This applies to Virtual Console games that are currently available on both eShops.

I don't suppose there's any convienent place on the WiiU shop to see which Wii games you can get a discount on and what the cost would be? I've got about 15-20 of them on the Wii side so it would be a lot of back-and-forth to check each one at a time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I hadn't realized the virtual shop selection was all of two pages. Simple to search.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's a pity, but since they're both running off the console rather than some sort of hardware in the gamepad it's not surprising. With how portable the thing is I took it to the kitchen a few times yesterday and wondered why Wind Waker started stuttering. It looks like the range will let me play through one wall to the bathroom (like y'all haven't tried it) or bedroom, but not to the other side of my apartment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lust making sure, I can't use the Gamepad to watch something on Twitch while also playing Wind Waker or something on the main screen, right? Because that would be awesome but I'm 99% sure there's no way for the system to multitask like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It ran a bit long at 90-odd minutes, but man did it get the job done :allears:. And yeah, Nintendo really need to revitalize their marketing department. They used to have some really good fun ads in the 90's/early 00's.

"Obey Wario, DESTROY MARIO!"

I don't really see game commercials for any system any more, and when I do it's got pounding music single-line review quotes and about half a second of the actual game. Bring back video game characters selling their game to us. I want Nolan North Nathan Drake saying he needs our help to find the macguffin of whatever, Master Chief saying he did something awesome and we should check it out, or some Mario-styled Mii showing us around all the games Nintendoland offers.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There's no way to put AdBlock or other addons on the web browser, right?

• Locked thread