Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I remember it because the guy who looked weirdly like Adam West answers a question about Adam West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

What is Aliens? :psyduck:

That and What is a Rifle? blew my drat mind.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

HookShot posted:

You had to come to it from a British royalty question and not a geography question. The only king of England who's been executed was Charles I, and his son was Charles II, so it had to be them, and from there you figure out the only two states named for Charles (the latin form of which is Carolus)

There were certainly some weird answers by everyone that game.

See, that's what threw me, because there's actually three states named for Charles I and his sons: North Carolina, South Carolina, and New York, which was named for James II, who was at that time the Duke of York. So technically, per the wording, you could have answered either Carolina and New York and still been correct (one state honoring the king and one honoring his executed father), and i couldn't figure out which ones they wanted. But then everyone guessed Georgia instead.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ken, we were all thinking the hair thing, but you’re not supposed to actually say it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Hard same. In fact, I was feeling really smug because I knew the proper name for someone who shoes horses.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

That extra t was a kick in the teeth.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I think he's doing a fine job, but Ken's just got more personality.

Also, I really liked the Final Jeopardy clue last night, that was a clever little thought puzzle.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I always think the XYZ affair is the same thing as the Zimmerman telegram.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

HookShot posted:

I felt like earthrise was a particularly cruel clue.

The bit about witnessing it by orbiting but not from the surface was a pretty decent tell, because the moon is tidally locked.

The Final Jeopardy clue was brutal tho.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

wooger posted:

Host aside, that was a great contest, and the winner seems like a character. Reminds somehow of a Start Trek actor, though not sure if it’s Brent Spiner or Dr Phlox.
I came here to check whether that guy was a goon

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

What an absolutely garbage final jeopardy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Aaron Rodgers is really growing on me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I just want to see him guest host.

Also LOL at making the difference between “stalactite” and “stalagmite” a $1000 clue. Beautiful trap.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Stalactites cling to the ceiling, stalagmites grip the ground.

Stalagtites swing both ways.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 20, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Poque posted:

I can't believe Ten Commandments is almost four hours long, what misery.

The original cut would have been a prestige roadshow release with an intermission break for concessions and merchandise sales, so it wouldn't have been that bad.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

What is a calzone, when you really think about it?

Either I’m even worse at geography than I thought, or that was a bizarrely difficult final jeopardy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Stone Temple Pilots were huge for a (brief) time where I live and a couple of radio stations still occasionally play their songs.

Were they just not huge everywhere? Just surprised that was a triple stumper.

No, they were pretty big. And Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart was an early Rock Band staple, which helped reintroduce them to the next generation.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

It's also very anglocentric; the language of the prompts often contains some subtle clue to the answer based on phrasing or unusual word choice that would be totally lost if you weren't an idiomatic English speaker.

Like i can't imagine trying to follow the logic chain from "Choreographer Eliot Feld turned the music of Johann Strauss Jr. into these “dotty” dances" to "Polka Dot" to "Polka" if you weren't a native speaker.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

What is the Book of Gob?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Spokes posted:

if you look at any local news story or whatever on facebook about it like 70% of the comments are super supportive of richards. i think there's definitely some amount of manufactured support but...it can't be *this* much, right?

He was my Dad's 2nd favorite, after Aaron Rogers, for what it's worth.

I thought he was more or less tolerable as a host but the obviously manufactured nature of his whole bid for the program really pissed me off. "Oh my! a guest host has dropped out! How fortunate that I, the person who schedules the guest slots, just happens to be capable of subbing in."

"Oh, a shot at permanent hosting? Who could have seen that coming? Certainly not me!"

It's loving gaslighting.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yeah if you're going for the least controversial host at this point it's definitely Jennings.

I thought he did a great job, but honestly I thought most of them did a perfectly acceptable job by the third taping or so.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

RaspberrySea posted:

Was Richards around for James' run or just the GOAT?

Holzhauer's initial run was April to June 2019. Mike Richards was selected to be EP for Jeopardy in August 2019 but didn't officially start the job until the 2020 season, so the only interactions would have been the GOAT and maybe the Tournament of Champions, depending on filming dates and if you assume Richards did some work behind the scenes during the transition.

EDIT: Looking at the article, I just now realized that Mike Richards is also the rear end in a top hat producer from the Price is Right documentary "Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much" who fired Rob Dobkowitz and had Ted Slauson banned for life for being too good at the game. He's like the secret villain behind the entire game show industry.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 1, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Good lord, don't do this. I watched Cool World for the first time last year during quarantine. That might be the worst movie I've ever seen. It's just...yikes.

To be fair, I was stone cold sober for it.

The Folding Ideas channel did a youtube video on Ralph Bakshi recently where he pointed out that when Bakshi started animating as an independent filmmaker he never had enough money at any one time to film a movie all in one go, so he would only ever script and animate individual animated sequences and then eventually he would try to assemble whatever parts of a movie he had managed to put together into a cohesive whole. It's a technique that works fine for a surreal day-in-the-life movie like Fritz the Cat, works somewhat on a movie with a preexisting narrative structure to act as a framework to like Lord of the Rings, and doesn't work at all in Cool World. Cool World absolutely feels like a movie that was haphazardly assembled like a Frankenstein monster from disconnected narrative threads. It makes no sense and is not fun.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I knew it because I knew that locusts are the only type of insect which is kosher.

Frogs are treif.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

More likely it was a Snapple cap.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I have apparently been pronouncing that word wrong my entire life.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Also, Matt should have been $400 less. They asked what 'H' meant in HTML and HTTP. Matt answered "hyper-text". It should have just been hyper.
The question was “What does the HT in HTTP and HTML stand for?”.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Somebody didn’t watch enough Wayne’s World as a child.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Amy's the first player where I'd be happy to see her break Ken's record.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Propaniac posted:

I did terribly playing at home tonight. Is it just me, or was the "Stupid Answers" category harder than it usually is? The contestants certainly seemed to expect it to be easier.

No it wasn't just you: the wording on most of the clues in that category was atrocious, and most of them were poorly conceived. loving Hammacher Schlemmer hammock?

There were a ton of bad clues last night.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Poque posted:

I thought she was funny tbh

Yeah, same. Initially I thought people were complaining about mohawk guy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

WYOMING?! Of all the…Wyoming?!

My Dad, who claims to have barely graduated high school and was playing on his phone at the time, stopped to stare at the screen incredulously.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I think she was just nervous and unintentionally overcompensating.
Yeah to me she read like someone with an anxiety disorder and panicking every time the spotlight was turned on her

and also

wa27 posted:

"Regular Virginia" was hilarious though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Timby posted:

Holy poo poo, what a freebie of a final.

I was about to ask if that was the easiest FJ ever, and then the champion whiffed and ate it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I was trying to think of the first thing Wooderson says in Dazed & Confused (I think it's him asking the kid if he has a joint), but remembered this is Jeopardy general knowledge trivia, not Videology movie trivia.

I looked it up and supposedly the first thing they shot with McConaughey was the scene where he rolls up to Marissa Ribisi at the drive-in and asks her if she needs a ride while she's driving her own car, and apparently both that and the "alright alright alright" line that starts it were improv'd.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 17, 2022

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Doggles posted:

My girlfriend says "bird word" would not have been an acceptable alternative response for "hawk talk." :reject:
I would have taken it. I'm more annoyed by "Jargon" being a synonym for "Talk" than anything,

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

For those who forgot and want something actually fun to watch tonight in terms of Jeopardy, in celebration of the anniversary their Youtube channel put up the unaired 1964 pilot episode with Art Fleming after the broadcast tonight ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGeAosjw3S8
Everything about this is absolutely baffling. Abraham Lincoln's mother's maiden name is a $30 Daily Double, but "She wrote Frankenstein" is a $50 triple stumper? And everything about the question format is so frustrating.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Zero One posted:

Big "Lone Ranger's nephew's horse" energy.

Fun fact: the Lone Ranger's nephew grows up to be the Green Hornet's father, and was a popular minor character in the Lone Ranger/Green Hornet shared radiotelegraphic universe.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

i very recently rewatched those aaron rogers episodes with friends and he was absolutely not laughing at any contestant like that. this person is a nut lmao

Yeah at the time he was hosting he was my favorite guest host because he seemed completely humble and gracious to be there.

Shame about all the other poo poo that came out later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

This is the part that always got me:

quote:

During Richards’ tenure, many lost benefits and paid hiatuses as Fremantle took greater control of the series. The enviable schedule in which five episodes were filmed over four days each week, with staffers getting Fridays off, was tabled as Richards mandated everyone to come in on Fridays even though it wasn’t a filming day.

Because of course he was THAT boss. As soon as I heard that, I could believe he'd do anything.