Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

You seriously need to just use them and decide for yourself whether a bigger screen or a smaller form factor is more important to you. Neither one is going to be objectively better for gaming, because it depends on what kind of games you're playing and what you like about either device.

Well I'm on a 4 and while the higher tier games look glorious, the thing is unwieldy as all hell.
Forget about holding the drat thing up while using virtual joystick for any length of time. Setting it down for action games isn't much better either.
Infinity Blade 1/2 is fine but it breaks my heart that Vice City is horrible to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

They given a rough release date yet?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

Not exactly -- it gives the actual historical folklore background for some of the settings and creatures you encounter, which is really cool, but with one exception (that you'll know when you see) it's not particularly helpful in solving any of the game's puzzles.

Edit: Also, it's totally safe to go poking around in it at any point during the game, you won't spoil anything

It's there to absolutely make sense of/conclude the whole experience. The disservice was in them downplaying its importance for some reason.

You literally do not finish the story without it.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

From what I've heard it's all three of the Pheonix Wright games but I think it may be based off the GBA version (AA has no case 5) as I think the first iOS gme was a GBA remake.

I grabbed the iphone version of PW1 when I heard the rumour that the hd trilogy was cancelled so I can confirm that it does in fact have all 5 cases of the DS version.
Glad to hear some whispers that the HD one might still happen though.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm sure its already been discussed, but has anybody played The Silent Age? Its an Ipad point and click adventure game with a time travel mechanic, and its probably be most fun I've had for free on an Ipad. Its definitely episodic and only takes about an hour to finish, but its really of a high level of quality.

Pretty moody thing too.

I saw on the dev's site that they intend them all to be free so long as they can get the donations to make it happen.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Armed Neutrality posted:

I don't know how else you'd describe the people who line up to post about how they just couldn't sleep all night because some mediocre IAP driven snake clone kept them up all night enjoying the groundbreaking swipe controls and brilliantly placed IAP button or whatever. Do they get free nimblebux or something based on how over the top the hyperbole is?

Then again, I'm always the one who listens to the hype, downloads the game, thinks "what the gently caress?" and deletes it only to do the exact same thing the next time a Nimblebit game gets released so I guess they know what they're doing. :)

Personally I'm more leery about the dismissal of criticism based on their opinion trumping their detractors just because they're ios devs. Sure, they have control of the product but it doesn't innately make them right. Well that and we have a mod who is an ios dev promoting their own games in the thread. Largely professional about it but I do question the possible conflict of interest.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

Did he say he hated the tilt controls and wished it had an on screen dpad? ;)

Actually someone did.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Having a star by my name doesn't cede my right to have opinions or do things. This is a volunteer gig, and any time I post anything related to my game, I clear it with all the other game mods. You'll note I never edit the thread title to favor my game, for instance, or do anything else that only a mod can do.

I post the stuff I work on, some people like it, they have questions, I answer. If it starts to dominate thread chat, I back off so that I'm not contributing to a derail. That's about as far as it goes. I even had another mod recommending that I make my own thread about Jones On Fire as a "it's alright we want you to succeed!" thing, which I specifically didn't do, since we'd jump on any other iOS dev that did that (EDIT: for a game of Jones' scope, that is - big NimbleBit-esque things are a bit different).

Oh, it was more of a raised eyebrow for me really. You've been remarkably impartial actually which is quite impressive. If this were any other forum I could imagine their mod in the same position exploiting the poo poo out of it.

On another train of thought:
Anyone know any good puzzles/adventure games on iOS like The Room or any decent recent point and click style adventure games (like Broken Sword for instance)? I've given realMyst a go but don't entirely 'get it'. Don't know if Sword and Sworcery EP technically counts in the genre but that was a blast too.
Stupidly excited about the upcoming Broken Sword (5?).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Iron Leg posted:

Definitely check out The Silent Age. It's not super long, but it's fun and has really great ambiance. Play with headphones for sure.

Way ahead of you there. The animation was nothing to write home about but otherwise I loved that one.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

What don't you get?

Well I find it really interesting but I think I'm a little too used to more modern games where we're a little more guided along.
Basically I have no idea where I'm supposed to be starting with it but I don't want to resort to using a guide/ingame hints.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Pray For Death posted:

Help Volty is kind of similar to the Room in that it is very atmospheric, and very seamless (not even a main menu.) However it involves some time-based actions (and fail-states) so you can't just lie back and take your time to solve the puzzle.

Windosill is a short puzzle game, but nonetheless an awesome experience. Its very weird, and fun to play with friends to see their reactions.

Have you played Ghost Trick and Machinarium? These are a must for adventure fans.

Help Volty looks interesting. I completely forgot about Windosill but I tried the demo on pc a while ago. Is it worth the price tag?
Machinarium was absolutely fantastic and would have been perfect if they didn't use so many minigames for puzzles.
I have Ghost Trick on the DS but is it true that they added some content for iOS? I think I read something about that earlier in this thread.

I may be completely late with this one but I would recommend Nihilumbra for anyone looking for a half decent platform puzzler/adventure. Was actually surprised at how fleshed out a game it was. Reminds me vaguely of 2D platform puzzlers like Oddworld/Heart of Darkness

porktree posted:

A conflict of interest! This is serious. Maybe we need to open an official Video Games Ethics Committee investigation. Very serious, I'm glad you pointed it out.

Hey man, I'm still having night terrors over Childlike Empress's reign of terror in the PYF funny pictures thread.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 1, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Despite the floating D-Pad being a little bit lovely the game is really fun, challenging and pretty. Sounds like the devs are going to be fixing the d-pad too, since there have been enough complaints about it. It's definitely worth $.99.

Slayin came out last night and it's pretty fun. It's very similar to Spell Sword, but a bit more minimal. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id548580856?mt=8

I was going to ask about that one. I love the way it looks, at least.

Anyone tried Trauma yet? Was curious till I watched a gameplay video of it and was immediately turned off.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone have any good word games (wordplay, anagrams, scrabble-style word construction from random letters) for ipad?
The more challenging, the better (that said, I hate time limits but that's a whole other animal).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

My go-to is SpellTower. It has a couple of modes, only one of which is timed. I find it pretty challenging in Puzzle mode since it'll ramp you up into having to give it words of a minimum length in order to get rid of letters, so you slowly drown in a sea of 5 & 6 requirement Js and Xs.

Plus it has a nice after-game breakdown where it'll try and give you the definition of all the fake words you tried and found out were 'Scrabble real'.

Just started with this and already loving it. Simple and well presented. The dictionary function is a really nice touch too. Perfect.

I also gave Qatqi a shot and, while beautiful, I found the design and music a little on the distracting side.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LIMBO KING posted:

The IOS mobile version of everybody's favorite korean hat collecting simulator just popped up.

Not available in the UK store. What is it?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bummey posted:

What kind of well measured and reasonable posting is this? There's only room in this thread for seething hatred and unrestrained adoration.

As someone who only became aware of it around a month ago I am immune to the bitterness and disappointment about all the unmet expectations (that I have little to no knowledge of).
Actually think it looks pretty fun. I'll probably grab it.
Oh, the benefits of ignorance.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone else here tried out Gemini Rue?
Seems like a pretty solid point and click adventure with a decent noir theme (the animation and detail in the audio of the rain are superb).
Don't know about length yet but I have to say I love it already.
Of course I haven't reached any combat (something it apparently has in the form of cover shooting kinda like Another World sans forcefields) so that might kill it for me. Who knows?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bummey posted:

Gemini Rue? Does that mean Wadjet guy is bringing his adventure games over? His games are solid loving gold. Buy that right now! And The Shivah if that comes over too.

Nothing else yet but eager to see more if this is anything to go by.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

As excellent a game as it is, TWEWY really doesn't meet the space criterion; it takes up around 2.5 gigs (and I think needs about 4GB of empty space to install). TWEWY's awesome, but it is a beast.

e: The App Store says 656 MB. This is a lie.

Funny, I was just about to ask that and that is precisely what I was hoping I wouldn't hear.

Does it cheap you out of any game content through the IAP? Very interested in replaying this game sometime soon but really want to know that the £14 is for the whole thing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

Maybe they somehow made it smaller in an update? I definitely remember it sitting at 2 gigs when I had it installed, too. And I'm seconding that recommendation-- it's totally worth the pricepoint (and it's, by necessity, had a lot of work done to make it playable on something other than a DS-- not a half added port like FFT where they just added touch controls to the menus) and hopefully the storage requirements won't keep you from playing it.

Edit: when I played it, right when it came out, there wasnt actually any IAP-- that got added in a later update. All it does, though, is basically let you pay to "cheat"-- I don't think the IAP adds any new content and game progression isn't balanced around it in any way whatsoever.

Edit edit: yeah, I doublechecked-- the IAP gives you some extra soundtrack stuff (which is cool I guess), extra money, a stat-boosting food, and extra crafting materials. None of those latter three are new or necessary or give you anything you can't achieve in the game normally, and, again, the game's difficulty and progression was established before IAP ever became an option.

What size is it currently sitting at?
I know I'll have an insane amount of trouble getting it to install anything even close to 2gb right now.

By the way... Why is that? Games are never as small as the store claims they are and they demand a hell of a lot of extra free space before they are willing to install.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Junk jack works pretty nicely if you want the mine/subterranean exploration of minecraft but prefer charming sprites over 3D models.

My only real gripe is that I wish they had a better way to hand you recipes than just randomly discovering pages. Successfully making an object doesn't add it so you either need a good memory, an online resource you're happy to keep referring to (there is an ingame link to the wikia) or be lucky enough to find the corresponding page.
That said, I love the way the lighting works in it and that monsters can only spawn in the dark.
There's also a 'peaceful mode' if you just want to create and explore without being attacked. But you obviously can't get items they drop if you turn mobs off.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Since Riven didn't come out too long ago, what's the likelihood that we'll see Myst 3 on iOS too?
While I preferred the 3D in realMyst to the purely pre-rendered Riven, I found myself really digging the pace on these and would love to hear that they plan to port more of them.
Much thanks to whoever it was that recommended SpellTower to me pages and pages ago. It's been a blast playing that one.

After a few hiccups earlier finally getting back into The World Ends With You and though I love the style and gameplay of the thing, I feel like they're unveiling gameplay features way too slowly (I beat it way back on DS but forgot about most of it). It's been feeling like a few hours of tutorial so far.
I just want to eat burgers for stats and watch my digestion meter while listening to all the surprisingly catchy music.

I remember last time that burgers featured heavily on my file. I forget why.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Slim to gently caress all. It's a licensing fistula.

Goddamnit.
At least there's a new Broken Sword and The Room on the way.
I wish it wasn't so hard to find good adventure games on the app store. Their definitions of genre are shoddy at best.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Corridor posted:

I'm liking Junk Jack quite a lot for some reason. Terraria didn't quite do it for me despite having a ton more content, but this hasn't lost my interest yet, possibly because it's cuter and I'm shallow. They're posting bigass updates fairly regularly to content and mechanics so hopefully it will get more indepth. The recipe thing is annoying I admit, but there's a wiki going on.

Oh cool thanks, I was stuck on this poo poo as well. I couldn't tell if I was meant to hit the reflectors in order or what, their collision is annoying as hell.

I wish it had water like blockheads does and wish there wasn't so small a vertical tile limit (from the surface, at least) but otherwise absolutely love it.
That said, I also wish the inventory was unlimited because that poo poo gets filled so damned fast.

Learn to love storage chests.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I'm loving dying to play Leviathan warships. By saying it has cross platform play, I wonder if you have to buy the game multiple times or if buying the PC version nets you an iOS version. Also, for the life of me I can't tell is it's playable on an iPhone 5 or if it's an iPad only game.

I thought they meant/said that it was cross platform multiplayer.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Original_Z posted:

Final Fantasy 5, Slayin, QuestLord.

Ff5 worth the cash? One of my favourites but I'm kind of on the fence about paying out again for a high res version.

As for me: Gemini Rue, SpellTower, Myst.
More recently: Nightsky, World Ends With You and just started on Hiversaires

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I see problems on the horizon.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

silly posted:

If you aren't playing Robot Unicorn Attack 2 with the Erasure IAP purchased you aren't doing it right. Also, Team Inferno 4 LYFE.

Bad team for bad people.
Otherwise, correct.

Also, I think the main issue with it is that the app store shows no regard for separating types of games in any meaningful way. Theres basically no distinction between action and adventure and the things that get listed in rpg are insane. I love longer-winded games myself and while I have a few simple time wasters I don't have much patience for the repetition of many of them.
I wish they'd reflect on this and actually separate out new relatively genres like infinite runners from other action games for instance.

I personally think the touch screen as a medium is fantastic for adventure/puzzle games and I've absolutely adored things like Year Walk and S+S EP (and really looking forward to the sequel to The Room). It's a little disappointing that the store is so saturated with what are basically mobile phone games.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 27, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

This whole team thing would work better if we were randomly assigned a team every challenge or something.
I'm team rainbow and I can see clear as day that unless they change this system, there's no incentive to remain on that team since inferno has ever-growing numbers behind it.
I think I'll wait and see but so far it looks like they really didn't think that part through.

Also, what's going on with the ads? I got a bunch at first and they seemed to disappear after I bought Always but yesterday they were back with a vengeance.
I'd assumed that buying iap shut them up for good when I didn't see any for a while but it only seemed to calm them for a little bit.
Is there a permanent "piss off, ads" purchase I can make?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Where do you get the song dlc for robot unicorn attack 2? The store only has purchases for the little blue things.

Once you hit a certain rank (fairly low) the option appears.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Day one purchase.

Same here. I held off of getting the ps3 version because having it portable was too good a selling point.

Is there any inkling of a release date yet?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

AggroJagg posted:

Do the iap songs have vocals or are they just instrumentals?

Vocals. Feel the joy.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I'm eyeing it right now. Anyone tried it yet? What's the verdict?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Calm down grandpa, you are going to anger up your hip this way.

Non-smart phones are a dying breed, same as landlines for most people. For most people who aren't super into the internet a smartphone or tablet with a data plan makes way more sense than a computer and internet connection.

I think there's still a market for cheapass borderline disposable phones but that's not what blackberry ever were.
They've just just been thoroughly shown up in their own market and now can only produce sour grapes :smug:

Anyway, what are the controls like on Star Command? Very curious about that one.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Mozi posted:

Sorcery! is head and shoulders above the other CYOA games in pretty much every respect and I had a blast playing it - but I was able to finish in one sitting, there's not really an ending (being part one of four,) and the next installments apparently will be separate paid apps. For five bucks it's hard not to feel a little disappointed, if the following books were $1.99 IAP I could understand considering the overall quality but as it is it's a bit much.

How short are we talking here? Do the choices actually have much impact or do you get railroaded?
I love the look of this but don't fancy paying 2.99 for only a few hours.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Mozi posted:

Well it's $4.99 (unless you're talking pounds.) I was able to finish in one sitting, maybe a bit more than an hour? There's a whole lot of stuff I didn't see, I'm sure, like the magic system, and there are a lot of branching paths that should give replayability but I was still pretty surprised when it said "that's it, be sure to grab episode 2 when it's out!" Thing is, the graphics are wonderful (especially on retina iPad,) the writing is good, the combat is good, everything is very high quality. If only it were longer. If the following episodes are also 5 bucks each... well, that's a bit of a rip.

Yeah, pounds.
So it just cuts off partway through the story? Ouch.
Think I'll wait for a sale on this one.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Finished "The Silent Age" ... decent game. The interface is simple. You tap where you want to go. You tap on objects. Items go into inventory as needed. Can be used with stuff in the scene. Nothing complex. The audio sets a nice mood. The NPC conversations are click through.

I played this on a iPhone5, there were some "tiny object" puzzles, but not too many to be annoying.

I'd still like see an adventure with a UI that was as rich as the one I worked on, in RTZ, but "The Silent Age" was good enough to get me to want to solve the game. The story is great.

Give Gemini Rue a shot. Rather moody faux retro point and click. A port of the pc version but well suited to touch screen.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Are the controls in this game an improvement over GTA 3? I remember buying GTA3 for my iPad, getting about 50% through the game, then rage-uninstalling it after the aiming and targeting controls made me angry and frustrated.

Same, more or less. I got rid after I just got tired mangling controlling things.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I have a question about "copyrights". This was really prevalent on the Android and I just recently switched to Iphone. A game comes out and gets VERY popular. About a month later 100 clones come out that are so blatantly obvious.

Do developers have any recourse in this ? Blatant rip-offs seem like it would be a no contest. What is worse Is I'll read the reviews and people actually buy them.

I've seen games that straight up use promo art for other A list games for their preview images.
One little ninja game I saw recently unashamedly used cg stills from ninja gaiden to frame the lovely pixel screenshots they had.
Pretty certain I've seen some generic zombie minigame using a still from walking dead too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bummey posted:

It's a very difficult, time consuming and complicated process to determine who owns the rights to anything. For example, Ron Gilbert is the original creator of <Video Game> (I forget the game this specific scenario revolves around, but it's one of his great, early adventure games. I may get a few things wrong here but shut up, bear with me) but he can't make a new <Video Game> because he doesn't own the rights to it, doesn't know who owns the rights to it, and can't find out who owns the rights to it, even though that's the guy who created it, owned the company that made it, etc etc. He can't work with his own creation because the rights are lost in space, owned by some shadow figure who doesn't even know they own it or a forgotten, fossilized legal remnant of a corporation.

It is not Apple's job to enforce anything. They can only respond to complaints, and for good reason. With how long review processes are at the current time, after years of building the App Store, hiring, training employees, imagine how much work it would take them to individually research every piece of data that is submitted to them, among the hundreds of thousands of junkbox poo poo apps made by no name developers whose only barrier to entry is a $100 fee and a macintosh OS. They can either deny everything on a blanket level that approaches a copyright/trademark, which will both hurt their profits and generate ill will among developers and consumers, or let everything through and let the rights holders defend their copyrights and trademarks as they see fit.

In many ways the app store has started to remind me of dollar/pound stores with their knockoff toys.
Buy genuine 'Mutant Hero' who is totally not just a He-Man figure with a mangled Ninja Turtles head!
I saw a rip off of puzzle fighter yesterday that not only mimics the gameplay/style but also redraws the (I think) exact character designs from street fighter.
Here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gem-fighter/id587817907?mt=8

• Locked thread