Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not a viking posted:

Saw a facebook ad (bad sign?) about a city building game called Megapolis. What is the goon verdict of this game?
Megapolis was one of the first games I downloaded for iOS and it basically taught me what a mobile city builder is. It's just tap buildings for cash, put more buildings down, tap those buildings to activate them for five minutes, pay real money to spend less time playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I thought some simple rolling smoke clouds would fit with what I think the mood is intended to be while you're outside while filling the space with something that wouldn't visually distracting.

On the Simcity/openTTD conversation - has anyone played Yoot Tower? I'm curious what the UI is like without using a mouse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

So... Been playing a lot of Jones On Fire.. Is it supposed to make me sad? The fire just keeps growing and raging and the music is slightly sad.
I am a cat lover and I love to run.
I'm sorry, I'm thinking about cats again.
I really love cats.
But I can't save every cat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

graventy posted:

The only reason I haven't is because it has tilt controls. I just don't feel like I can accurately fish waggling my ipad all around.
It is a bit awkward tilting the ipad for it, but it's not really a high precision game and the controls seem fine once you get used to tilting it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Now that you mention it, yes, I'd totally buy an iOS port of Transarctica.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was going to say Final Fantasy Legends 2 with a Mystic Quest comedy option, but it looks like those are already taken so Final Fantasy 8.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

j4on posted:

Would anyone like to recommend a good, not puzzle or word-based, game without IAP or grind mechanics? I can feel my patience for grinding growing shorter and shorter. Ridiculous fishing was fun, amd appreciated the lack of IAP, but its still just grind to win. It's fine if the game ends in an hour of play. That's pretty cool, really.
King of Dragon Pass.

Although maybe that counts as word-based?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

psylent posted:

New Star Soccer CONSUMED my life for a couple of months. It's free with a 99c fee to unlock the full game. You manage a rising soccer star's career, make choices about how you spend your time (training/fans/team/girlfriend), which skills to work on etc. It's a really clever little game and I just couldn't put it down.
What have you doooonnneeeeeee???

This game is crack. Crack that I can smoke while wearing my tiny island's home team's colours and buying energy drinks.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 27, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Out of curiosity, do developers actually have any ability to get rid of people hacking their leaderboards in any manner? I mean like through resets or bans or selective exclusions?

Not that I've ever paid attention to getting on them except for Radiant (until the devs altered the scoring system without resetting the boards), but it just seems like every single one is crawling with hacked scores that stay there forever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I played it on the web-preview with the arrow keys and I find swiping is a lot nicer. v:shobon:v

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Not sure - but the numbers are their proficiency in the job, 1-9, which reduces the cost of restocking when they're employed in jobs of that colour. The coloured tabs sort the bitizens based on their proficiency in that colour (then by some secret voodoo that I'm sure is related to their seed). If a bitizen is employed in a job at which they have 4 or less proficiency then they'll be unhappy, which as far as I'm aware does nothing except help me sort out where my extras are using the happiness tab.

Apocron posted:

For anyone crazy enough to want to edit the names to match real life I found these three pages useful but be warned, they're not exhaustive and I'm not sure they're right!

http://www.mdickie.com/wm2008_names.htm
It's made by MDickie, so I figure his website is probably right about them :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mozi posted:

For a game like this, though, I wonder if it really is a grind. The game is pretty much the same the whole way through, you never change from snaking around. I see three-starring guys more as a marker of long-term playing than as a goal to get to in order to play better.
It's a grind if you approach it in the sense of "until I 3 star everyone I'm subpar at snaking because my guys are statistically less than best" and see maxing everyone as when you can start competing with others properly.

I'm finding it pretty low key - I grinded up all my unlocked characters to 1 star because why not, but instead of worrying about 2 starring them all I just picked someone I liked and started on them. I've only got one more shop item to buy and after that gems as far as I can tell are literally worthless except for buying stars. In the meantime I'm still placing at least close to the top 100 for SA in Arenas, which gets me tokens that can make up for a lack of stars in unlocking more characters - which will, itself, make it easier to get gems in normal play, leading to being able to buy stars for people I don't want to lead with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Corridor posted:

That is hilarious.

Regarding Pixel People - I upgraded the Animal Shelter, and suddenly the Surprises cost twice as much. Is there any way to revert it? I tried building another one to replace it, but it turns out that upgrades affect all of the same building type. Sucks that literally the first building I upgrade turns out to be a move I regret. :(
The last patch doubled the price of surprises to 4mil - you sure it was the upgrade instead of just not noticing it, or is it 8mil now?

(do you get two free every day if you have a duplicate shelter?)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

What does putting people in the hotel actually do? I saw that you can put people in there for Utopium, but aside from trying to clear out residential buildings I can't figure anything out about it.

Also, it looks like the gold star thing might be to get more rare animals.
I've been using it for when I clone somebody who needs their job building built before they can move out of the gene pool, but that's mostly because I only really check in on it a few times a day so clearing up a slot in there to accumulate an extra clone for when I get back is well worth it. Clearing out lovely Solar Nexus buildings is worth it on its own though when your expansion costs get to the point where essentially each piece of land is worth more than 10 million - plus you get a refund of your Utopium if they're not in there for very long.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

We actually go out of our way to try and balance our games to the point that any normal player with adequate free time who enjoys the game isn't "frustrated to that point where they're more likely to buy". I think a lot of people look at any progression in a game with IAP from the viewpoint of monetization, where-in progression in a game like Ridiculous Fishing is simply viewed as game balance since there is no IAP.
I personally think you do a pretty good job of it. I bought red gems almost entirely because I've enjoyed your previous games without ever feeling like I was actively up poo poo creek without buying extra stuff. I bought the work-time doubler in Pixel People but I still felt like the game actively hated me with such lovely small timers on the buildings with an upgrade cap in comparison with Tiny Tower which had a good range of timers and let me sink as many dollars as I wanted into making them fit with how often I 'checked in'.
(Although Pixel People has gotten a lot better with the recent updates and I don't regret that purchase quite as much anymore.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

webmeister posted:

Thanks! I've been holding off on splicing that one because it needs four spaces, and the last time I built a 4-space building I ended up with the super-lovely space port.
More fool you because it's the City Square which makes more money in 5 minutes than the Space Port does in two hours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Is anyone able to clarify what"time dilation" in Pixel People is and why I just lost 2 maximum land to it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Corridor posted:

I'm guessing daylight savings. :( Happened to me too.

Clocks posted:

Is that the thing where you set your iphone to a different time (to get around timers I guess) and then when you go back to normal, the game catches it?
Ugh, makes sense - although I would've expected that it wouldn't penalise you on basically the only aspect of the game not on a timer. Guess I'll see that land again in September :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sad lions posted:

Anyone have any good word games (wordplay, anagrams, scrabble-style word construction from random letters) for ipad?
The more challenging, the better (that said, I hate time limits but that's a whole other animal).
My go-to is SpellTower. It has a couple of modes, only one of which is timed. I find it pretty challenging in Puzzle mode since it'll ramp you up into having to give it words of a minimum length in order to get rid of letters, so you slowly drown in a sea of 5 & 6 requirement Js and Xs.

Plus it has a nice after-game breakdown where it'll try and give you the definition of all the fake words you tried and found out were 'Scrabble real'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Just call it Snuggle Koreans and change out the missiles for soft toys.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

They aren't so long you can't build things like this with a little work: http://www.theblockheads.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2261&d=1365947307
They're long enough that I quit after about an hour of play because every time I wanted to upgrade or build a new tool my choices were to sit and watch a guy swipe his hand at something for a couple of minutes, or tab out and do something else. iOS is not exactly hurting for games that consist of queuing up a sequence of tasks and then tabbing out to play something else, and there is no way that picture represents a "little" work given how long it takes to just build a metal tool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Resources are everything. Spend your level-ups on skills and stats that will give you bonus chances until they're maxed out. Spend your shields and coins on increased coins/shields/xp whenever possible, otherwise weapon damage and armour in that order. Clump shields as much as possible since you'll only get upgrade progress when your armour is maxed out, and pick up something that lets you grab all the health pots at once because they will always be in your way - either the Skill Elixir or Heal, preferably Skill Elixir.

Big Game Hunter is a great early game skill but will become too risky to use in the end-game when they start out-scaling your ability to kill them - conversely, Banish and Teleport will almost never get used until the end-game for the same reason. Skill Elixir and Enchant are great long-term upgraders, and Treasure Chamber only wears off when you take a turn so you can pop it before a collect-all skill and get two drops of pure coins.

Once you unlock the Raider, max it out because the Halfling and Masochism are basically the best combination in the game as the free armour lets you concentrate on your other stats - combined with Steal it's basically an upgrade money shot. Grab a Quick attribute on your accessory when it comes up - Lifesteal never gets amazing, but it's a nice refiller if you've taken Skill Elixir and are gobbling all your health pots away and will replace Regenerate later in the game when your damage is in triple digits and theirs is in doubles.

I've never figured out if Dexterity and Repair are actually two different bonuses, or if Rune can ever be used effectively.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 19, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Corridor posted:

I don't really get the musical part of Arranger. I don't get what makes specific instruments better than others. In the few musical battles I've had, I just chose instruments randomly, got scolded for choosing something inappropriate, and then won the battle anyway just by fingertap mashing.
They all start at different levels of completion based on how 'appropriate' they are for the song you need. Like, loud instruments aren't the best for the lullaby, and the "somber" clarinet isn't good for cheering the king up. You can win with anything, but if you choose the right instruments you only need to hit once with each one for a win.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Given how many classes you unlock as you play, I feel like the game is begging you to eventually restart anyways. So you'll get another shot at it once you have a better understanding of which races benefit which classes.
The best part about restarting is that the unlocks and cash are game-wide so instead of dealing with waiting 8 hours per for your first blacksmith upgrades you can just switch over to your high level party, beat down a single group of at-level monsters, then change back and buy the time-skip with your level-inflated income.

The Insect Court posted:

What "deep" turn-based strategy games are available for iOS? Civ-likes or X-COM-likes, whatever, as long as there's some depth to its mechanics and a significant amount of content. I've made my way through Final Fantasy Tactics and Civ: Revolutions. What else is there? How are the Avernums that have been ported over? edit: I've also tried Battle of the Bulge and while I am horrendous at it, stuff of its complexity would be awesome.
Ascendancy is the only really deep strategy game that I know of - the iOS version has its quirks (like having to actually start a new game with a race in order to see what its unique ability is) from what I could tell in my brief look at it, but I've been playing the PC version on and off for like 15 years now and in my opinion it stacks up against MoO/Civ. (and unlike the PC version it's actually maintained)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mozi posted:

I really don't understand the personal offense people take about the presence of IAP. The only reason some games can be priced at 99 cents or for free at all is IAP. For many of these games, Crabitron included, there is no additional fun from buying IAP - in essence, your cheap fun is being subsidized by other, less spendthrifty people. Games that are balanced around IAP can be deeply disappointing but to reject all games with IAP wholesale is to miss out on some legitimately good games.
Other more spendthrifty people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Duranki posted:

Has anyone tried Tiny Token Empires (iPad only)? It's been on my watch list forever and just dropped to 99 cents (normally $8).
No, but their site has a PC/Mac demo version.

I can't say it doesn't look like it's worth a buck.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

JayKay posted:

Any tips for the Fungus level on Plague Inc.? I either get eradicated or lose with a small handful of survivors.
I did it by getting some transmissions, and blowing my DNA on fungal spores and removing symptoms, so that I managed to get almost every country infected before getting noticed because it takes forever for it to cross borders itself, especially once they start locking down. From there I stopped removing symptoms and concentrated on getting to 100% infection before tipping it over into "uncontrollable zombie hordes and bursting corpses" territory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Three loving dollars for each additional character? Warrior Priest and Slayer better be face wrecking gods if each costs almost as much as the entire game. I was planning on grabbing both when I get the game because I figured they'd be $0.99 since the game's $4.99, but apparently SquareEnix isn't alone in lovely pricing schemes. :catstare:
Games Workshop has always been the EA of SquareEnixes - but yeah, I bailed on buying the base game once I saw the DLC pricing scheme.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

McDragon posted:

Liking Merchant to the Stars so far. Nice concept, and I really like that the adventurers eventually finish their quests and go home. Some guy cleared all the cannibals out of some lost city, and it was nice to know he only managed it because he came to my shop. :3:

Edit: Wait, no, cannibals guy is still going. Someone else I was thinking of.
The only guy I've had complete his quest is one that opened a gateway to a hell dimension and needed a new item strength because of it - I didn't expect them to actually finish their quests so it was pretty cool when he showed up and bragged about killing all the vampires. I kind of wish my beginning character would finish up because the eager beaver takes like 6 seconds to bring back a huge haul of items and keeps everyone waiting while I process that stuff. And the stuff he brings is low-level crap.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lawen posted:

Cool game though, I'm really enjoying it.
I agree, but I feel like whoever decided where the Dismiss button would go needs a punch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I picked up Tumulus a week or so ago on the thread's recommendation and I've been finding it kind of--- milquetoast. The class-specific combat is an interesting spin on turn-based, but there's very little tension because it's ridiculously easy to escape to the surface and the enemies have been virtually impossible to not avoid. I got down to level four and died once, and found myself back in town missing some unimportant items and down some change, which didn't seem like a huge setback. Worse, it was actually cheaper than buying a teleport scroll.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Eegah posted:

Speaking of Merchant I dropped the 300k to upgrade swords and... Seriously I have no idea what it did. Power stayed the same, same amount of materials consumed so I dunno what the hell here.
It allows you to hone that specific subtype of weapon three times instead of twice. I was quite disappointed with it too, as I was hoping for that amount of cash it would let me do stuff like alter materials/elements to better outfit my guys rather than just provide a minor power boost.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm not min-maxing, but jesus I think I need to be considering I just unlocked a new set of 500k upgrades and I'm still waiting for my squadron of 'completed' low-level heroes to finish their quests so I can get more level 15+ heroes who can bring in some real money.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Shalinor posted:

There's 2 or 3 distinct ways to build a Heavy, and I'm pretty sure all the other classes have similarly useful variants. The only one I'm really skeptical of is Sniper - I just can't imagine anyone going snap shot over squad sight with them.
I used both on two different snipers last time I played - Snap Shot is great for maps with lots of interior/cover, especially the last map, and stops your sniper from being left behind as you move up the map. Squad Sight is just ridiculous on carpark/forest maps though because it's not an issue that your sniper is just standing in one place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Digger-254 posted:

I'm liking this game overall, but I'm a little fuzzy on these random encounters. I mean, that they happen randomly is cool; but suddenly going from dictating every move and action your characters make to having little to no control over your them as they play out randomly is sort of obnoxious, though. It reminds me of getting suckered into playing D&D with my nephews when they were little.
It's because it's a combat board game with persistent character growth, not an RPG.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FlashBangBob posted:

What is the best combo to make in Scurvy Scallywags? I'm finding completing a long L is the best way to go. It gives 16 swords and a sword doubler piece. The only problem is you have to always make the corner sword match last, which makes it difficult.

Any other combos I can make to maximize profit?
You can also make the same combo in a T version

haveblue posted:

If anyone's still waiting for a status update on Merchant to the Stars, we've finalized the feature set of the first patch and will be submitting it probably within the next few days. All the timers have been vastly reduced, there's an acceleration mechanic if they still take too long, a couple of major bugs have been fixed, and it supports iOS 5 now. I'll post the detailed release notes once it's fully out.
Sweet! But please tell me you nerfed the dismiss button boss?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

haveblue posted:

The dismiss button is now on the left, above Talk.
:getin:

ps: it is currently my favourite iOS game and I hope it's doing well for you guys.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Necroneocon posted:

Is xcom out in NZ right now?
Nope.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Necroneocon posted:

Is xcom out in NZ right now?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Det_no lost his heart during stage 4 alpaca absorption.

• Locked thread