Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait pets have water dishes?
There's a water dish northwest of your house on most farms. If you fill it with water everyday it'll give another point of friendship with your animal. It'll fill automatically when it rains.

quote:

--It took me way too long to realize 1.) you can kinda control how the trees fall based on how you axe them, and 2.) the nonfarm trees regrow (!!!). Jeez people talk about buying stone and here I am having to buy wood for everything because I have so little; it's been almost more a barrier than gold for me.
You can also plant the tree seeds (oak, maple, and pine) outside your farm to grow more trees for more wood. I like to plant them up near the train tracks as no one really goes near there. However this isn't limited by reason as you can also plant trees in the desert and they'll still grow (except in winter for whatever reason they'll still be covered in snow -- in the desert).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

One of the updates for 1.4 gave the option to take a screenshot of your entire farm. In the options menu at the very bottom on the switch version is an option misleadingly saying "Screenshot" select it while on your farm and it'll take a screenshot of your entire farm. It'll then show up in your switch album for you and the world to see if you post it.

This works for any area but works well for showing what your farm looks like quickly.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

I've been told the train is supposed to drop more things if you hit it with a slingshot, but as no one actually uses the slingshot this fell into obscurity.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

wheat is a summer/fall crop now

He's pointing out that it takes 4 days to grow wheat and an NPC is asking for it the 2nd or 3rd. So unless he has some from last year(assuming it's not the first year) or used speed grow on it there's no way he could have the wheat.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Also, just managed to finish the community center by like.. Summer 15? Of year 2, which I think was a better pace the my last playthrough.

Unless you get lucky on the Random Trader you really can't complete it until second year because of Red Cabbage (which only starts getting sold in year 2). So really anytime before year 3 is good. Also being more experienced with the game and knowing what to expect earlier helps out a ton. Either way congrats.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Poque posted:

Oh that's a really good idea. I always forget about them until after he's closed, and he's right next to a mine cart so it's no problem to just drop them in a chest there.

It also doubles as a place to put all your items/tools while you're breaking open geodes. I tend to put one either at the bus stop near the mine carts or next to the exit of the mine carts near the blacksmith. Makes it easy to drop off after getting them in the mines.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

I've seen some speedruns of the game and one of the common ways to keep up energy is to use your starting 15 parsnips as energy. So instead of selling your crops you use them as ways to restore energy. Going on good luck days also increases the chance for free ladders and enemies dropping ladders so there's less need for energy to break rocks as well. The point is to get to level 80 because that's when the rocks start getting increasingly harder, but at level 80 you can get all the drops you need to complete the mine carts bundle.

Personally, I'm happy to get to level 80 in the mines by the summer as going all in on the mines can leave you with little money for strawberries.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

This is just an fyi (it may have been part of your challenge don't know.) once you grab the golden scythe if you interact with the statue again it'll teleport you to the entrance.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

I missed planning ahead and didn’t get the 5x gold parsnip and the 5x gold melons so the earliest I can have the greenhouse is Summer of year two.

You can actually get the Greenhouse in Spring year 2 if you already have(or get) the gold corn and pumpkins. You only need 3 of the 4 crops listed to complete that bundle. So if you get enough gold parsnips you'll be set there at least.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Dr. Shithead posted:

Anywayy, I was wondering any big discrepancies between the switch version and PC/iOS versions that might be worth noting. I feel like the most obvious one is the lack of mods outside of the PC but I still wanted to hear what y’all thought.

Switch version has much harder to get diagonal items. That's about it. At the moment they're both at the same update version so it's that and mods that's different. (Keep in mind I've only played PC and Switch versions though.)

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

My thoughts on the tweet are essentially it's either 1: a new farm (maybe a replacement for the river farm?) or 2: a new location to visit. But it's ConcernedApe so literally anything could happen.

Meanwhile I've been playing through a new game with a self imposed challenge of "can't buy seeds". Essentially if you can put it the ground it can't be bought from any vendor (Joja, Sandy, Pierre, Traveling Cart, etc) and includes the fruit trees so I had to go fruit bat cave for the first time. So the main goal was to get completed fruit/vegetables from the cart that you can't get from mixed seeds or free seeds (ie starfruit from the museum reward) and put them in the seed maker when you hit level 9 farming. I'm just now in summer year 2 and am missing just a few things for the community center bundle (tomato, blueberry, and red cabbage). Overall been an interesting way to play storing up things to use next year and actually using mixed seeds like crazy.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How long does it take to hit lvl9 farming from only planting wild seeds? I assume you pretty much have to go forest farm for this and plant a lot of rice in spring

What the guy above said but I got a ton of mixed seeds and got a lot of corn in summer and it stayed over into fall so I got a lot of exp in farming from that. I think I got to level 9 farming around my first winter. Got level 10 farming second spring from planting seeds and replanting those same crops as seeds again. I also didn't plant all that much rice in spring but did do forest farm since it has the weeds that always have mixed seeds. As a result I had about 60 mixed seeds to plant every season.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

webmeister posted:

Also the best track in the game is Dance of the Moonlight Jellies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0_o4aXsfk

Some little known guy named Concerned Ape seemed to post this suspiciously close to this statement.... Also check out his older videos for some pretty cool early versions of the soundtrack.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So I'm assuming that this means that I could play this together with my wife on our one Switch?

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1317251778241466369

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

LLSix posted:

What do you name your pigs? I need some more pig names for my ever growing truffle-hunting horde.

I normally name that after different kinds of jamon (delicious delicious dry-cured ham) but I ran out of varieties in this game.

I personally hit and hold random and then count to 3 and save that name. My one friend names them after Zelda enemies (Ganon, Moblin, etc).

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

lol if you haven't bought it on every possible platform.

I don't have it on Vita....

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

minya posted:

It's incredible how much new content there is in 1.5, but it's also insanely sick and twisted and messed up that console Stardew players are locked out of this update until 2021, effectively ruining Christmas and the holidays for every single one of us

This has always been the case because it's easier for CA to bugtest and release patches on PC than on consoles where they sometimes charge him to release patches.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And sprinklers generally hook into some fresh water source rather than using groundwater, why couldn't you use them on a beach?

The "lore" reason is the sand clogs the sprinklers.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

So I recently bought the telephone from Robin's and didn't realize you could get incoming phone calls from people. Seems random on when it happens but some of the people that called were amusing.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Never had a problem with the egg festival; I've always somehow managed to get just enough eggs to beat Abigail. Now the Ice Fishing Festival I don't know if they changed it or I had bad luck but I lost to Willy for the first time ever this year. Too much green algae.... Also guess I should have avoided perfect catches but thought I had plenty of time.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

It's guaranteed to be sold at the traveling cart sometime in year 1. It's also RNG if Red Cabbage is even one of the required bundles anymore if you go with remixed bundles though.

Also I too had the Foraging Bundle on my remixed bundle farm and luckily I still had 50 salmon berries from spring when I found out I needed them. They do need 2/3 of 50 salmon berries, 50 black berries, and/or 20 wild plums. Good luck on that one but I managed the salmon and black berries.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Honestly if there weren't quest requirements for completing the community center/Joja I'd just get the mine carts, bus, and greenhouse and call it a day. I hardly use the quarry, never pan, and don't really need the friendship boost. Getting the community center year 1 has never been my objective it's always been the first three things asap. After that I take my time and do what I can when I can and just enjoy the game.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

So on the beach farm has anyone else noticed something wrong with foraging? I'm only getting base quality forage from the beach even though I have the perk that gives me the highest quality. I go the beach near Willy's and get Iridium Coral but on my own beach farm they're base quality. Also don't know if it's related or not but I've only been getting base quality eggs as well. Don't know if it's a bug or just RNG being weird but thought I'd check with others to see.

In a more spoilery question about the Galaxy Sword and new content.... So to upgrade the Galaxy Sword you need three Galaxy Souls to forge it up. Does doing this require all 3 slots of foraging? Or can I enchant it and then forage it up to the next level without worry about losing those enchantments? Just thought I'd ask.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Solumin posted:

All that said, if you just need iridium for sprinklers, make sure you visit Krobus every week for one. Much easier than getting iridium.

To clarify this. He sells one for 10,000 G every Friday. If you have access to the sewers and the money it's really recommended to do this if you need sprinklers.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

webmeister posted:

Does it still do the thing where he only has one for sale, but if you close the dialog box and click on him again, another Iridium Sprinkler spawns in his inventory?

Also, the wiki seems to have moved domains (it's now at stardewcommunitywiki.com), maybe that's why it's constantly having issues?

This was patched out in 1.4. One per week now.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I haven’t met Krobus yet. Is he the shadowy figure I have to meet? It’s been low on my priority list to do that quest.

And now the wiki has been down for like two days

You can get a cutscene with Jazz and Vincent in the south woods early on and Jazz mentions that Gunthar has the key to the sewers. You have to get several artifacts for the museum before you get access to the key and the sewers where Krobus is.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

I always try and do my remodeling in Winter as there's more free time. Also you can now move your greenhouse (once it's repaired). I know on the beach map I have I moved it right next to my house so I wouldn't have to walk all the way across the map.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm loving the house extensions and stuff. Don't know when they added the ability to remove the crib and add remodel three new rooms into your house FOR FREE, but it's amazing.

All from 1.5. Also for the record it's just now part of the second house upgrade.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Any new info on when the 1.5 update is coming to the switch?

We never got anymore information on when it came out for the PC other than Soon (TM) and hopefully before the end of the year(2020). Then it came out.

Only info we have is that he hopes it'll come out for consoles by the end of the month (January) but didn't want to set a deadline.

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1343283556986966017

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Does 1.5 shake up early game stuff? I'm in the last week of winter in year 1. I'm digging this game a ton and I'm wondering if I should keep going with this file or reroll to get the most out of 1.5.

1.5 has the option or "Remixing" both mine floor rewards and community center bundles. So I'd say yes. I've played through the game several times and sometimes the only thing you need to change is the farm and how you want to run things and it's different. So with the new farm in 1.5 I chose all the remix options to mix things up. It especially keeps you guessing on what you'll need to do to complete the community center.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I was today years old when I learned that if you go into the little mini-dungeon at the quarry to get the Golden Scythe and, after getting said Golden Scythe, you click on the statue again it teleports you back to the entrance

I've heard this a lot from people and am just glad when I got it my first time I hit the statue one too many times and teleported out when done.

Tylana posted:

Other stuff can be nice, like mahogany seeds and tree fertilizer

For the record Tree Fertilizer was introduced in 1.4.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

FYI. There's a Grass starter you can make after you get the recipie from Pierre. Once you make one you can place it on your farm and if you put anything on it (Myself I like to put lightning rods) the animals can't eat it but it does spread grass as normal. On Spring 1 of a new year I like to do about 10 of them in my yard area for my animals.

Also Pigs won't dig up truffles until they've grown up. So they're worthless for the first few weeks(?) but they make up their money fast. Also if you have the forage perk of always foraging best items you'll get Iridium stared truffles every time.

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a full-farm screenshot feature on the Switch? If there is I don't know where to find it.
Yep. It's way at the bottom of the options menu. Be on any area (in this case your farm) then go to the options section of the menu and go all the way to the bottom. There will be a icon that says Screenshot. Hit that and it'll take a picture of your whole farm (or any area you're on including your house) and put that in your switch album.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Tylana posted:

Oil machines are cheap so truffle quality hardly matters I'd argue (and can multiply up corn and sunflower profits but... hassle). Growing up time is a reason to buy pigs in midwinter still though.

Mostly trivia since truffle oil is a thing, but it also depends if you have artisan or not. Iridium truffles are worth 1250 compared to non artisan truffle oil's 1065 (1461 is the sale price for Artisan).

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Mr. Podunkian posted:

casks don't work in the bus tunnel in vanilla. you can place them anywhere, but i don't think you can load them with any items unless they're placed in the cellar.

Just double checked and can confirm that casks DO NOT WORK in the Bus tunnel. Tried in 3 different spots and got the same message of "Only works in Cellar." Granted I'm running unmodded 1.5.4. so no idea if it's a mod that lets it work or not.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't have a mahogany forest. This is a new thing to me. I'll have to figure out how to get one growing.

That's a 1.5 thing. They're forgetting you're playing the switch version that doesn't have that yet.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I thought starfruit wine had a better ROI than ancient fruit jam?

According to the wiki

quote:

...if looking at profit per day based on the time required, the preserves jar outpaces the keg regardless of the base value of the item (in every case except for Hops and Wheat) since the preserves jar has a much faster processing time.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

So close! Alex and Sam really are pains in the rear end to max out hearts. The girls' cold shoulder event has already come and gone and they're talking to me again. This is as of Summer 2 so I'm hoping with both of their birthdays coming up I might be able to make a Fall wedding to whoever I decide on.

For future games where you're cheating with everyone have a rabbit's foot in your inventory for that event and you will have a different event take place and they won't be angry. I suppose it'll still work for the all guys event too.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a bug that prevents rain? I'm almost through Fall year 2 and every day has been sunny or windy. I did a bit of googling and there are some years-old posts on the steam forums about people suffering similar droughts and questioning if it's a bug, but I didn't see anything conclusive. I'm on Switch if it matters.

RNG gonna RNG. Sometimes I've got months where it rains 15 days out of the month and others it doesn't rain at all. I remember one game on my swich Fall year 1 didn't get rain until the 23rd. It sucked too since I needed a Walleye (only comes out in rain).

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

maltesh posted:

Does Krobus show up at festivals if he's your roommate?

I'd planned to check, but wound up moving him out the day before the Flower Dance as part of my plan to see the Group 10-heart events after divorcing, mindwiping, and re-romancing Haley, and missed my chance to see if he'd be there.

Considering most festivals are sunny weather and Krobus can't go out in the sun most days I'd say probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been thinking of a place to deploy crab pots that isnt out of the way. Does the pond in the secret forest make good fish?

Once I have mine carts up and running I put 5 in a row just outside the mines at the mountain lake. Once I get high enough fishing I have Worm Bins near the exit/entrance so I can grab the bait refill the crabpots and then come back in and put them in the recycling machines I have ready if any trash. It's a quick and simple process but not something I have to do everyday.

Also on the subject of Spicy Eel: the desert trader will trade one for a Ruby everyday so I have some crystalariums set up with Rubies to get some free on top of my random chance of Lava Eel Fish Pond producing them.