Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Could be a figurehead monarch situation, then. Like WWII-era Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
The way the captions are worded makes it look less like "I think this is a good idea!" and more "I think this could totally happen, guys". It's a different kind of dumb.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Plus immigrants from Latin American countries, or descendents thereof, are mostly Catholic. I imagine we contribute quite a bit to that.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Of course she's no longer married (until death and all that). So she's part of the "unmarried adult women" column.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

I actually expected Korea to be just a shade darker, more in line with China and Russia. Good to see, I guess.

For content, I liked this one as a variation on goofy relabels, Comic Sans aside:

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 2, 2013

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Haha yeah, I live in Korea and my first thought seeing that chart is that SK should be much lower on the Y-axis; I'd argue even lower than the US.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

I see Alaska's seceded.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

"Swtzerland"

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Larry Hogan's missing something in this map of where money is going in MD, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Apparently it was quickly taken down from whatever site it was published on

Am I stupid for not getting this one? Or would it make sense if the text were actually legible (it's a blurry mess on my screen at least).

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I thought about this but surely Turkey would've been on this map of Persian influence. But it certainly seems centered on Iran.

Are you sure it's centered on Iran? I notice the color is a gradient, darkest in Pakistan/NE India. Could be something that sprang out from that region.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

IntricoInutile posted:

Looking for maps in Spanish for the kid, and came across this gem. How can you not love Italy and Siberia merging in the next half-century?

I like that Africa and the Middle East's internal borders from the real-life continents were left in for some reason.

Craptacular posted:

Ok, guess this one.

Origin of second-largest immigrant group per state.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Jaramin posted:

St. John St John

I'm a fan of the Sargassp Sea.

edit: Also Buffalo immediately north of Boston. And Louisville and Memphis moved west across the Mississippi apparently.

edit 2: El Paso and Phoenix: the exact same city.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 7, 2015

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I Am Gibraltor :psylon:

JORDON :psylon:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

chaos rhames posted:

Most popular word on dating site profiles, sorted by US state.

I like that they apparently weren't sure which part of the Delmarva that Delaware's on and decided to just wing it.

Goodbye, Uruguay, hello new breakaway city-state of Belem.

Also only Nicaragua could withstand the tide of Mexican and Colombian expansionism.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

where's the haribo.

don't americans have haribo.

It's not really associated with "Halloween candy" though.

Then again, Arizona has Toblerone. Either Halloween candy has changed a lot in my old age or it's another way Arizona's weird.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I like the Yellen Sea and the BAY OF HENGAI.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

What's the source? It looks like a textbook of some kind.

I don't really understand the exclusion of Scotland, despite the stereotype of them being skirt-wearing savages they made a disproportional contribution to the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment.

Racism kinda isn't airtight in its logic tbh.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

If dark green is "no data" for this map, what does gray mean? Were Nunavut and Yukon kicked out of Canada?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
And Americans who haven't spent meaningful time in other countries just take it for granted because it's all they know :(

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I don't hate map-guessing so much as maybe we can lay off it? It's been a constant stream of that for a while, let's give it a rest.

Also, thanks for reminding me of those ClickHole language maps :)

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Irrationally irritating that Western Sahara isn't gray.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Ponsonby Britt posted:

In all fairness, there was a typo in the state constitution and Clark County was never technically a part of Nevada until the 1980s, but it still hurts.

Are you seriously gonna drop something like this without elaborating?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

Politically loaded because Crimea is in Ukraine.

Interesting that there's data for North Korea on this.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

System Metternich posted:

That map depicts the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the 17th century, way before the Soviet Union, the USA or even the UK existed, so I'm not sure how they're supposed to come into play here :v:

He was talking about a wild hypothetical wherein modern-day Poland would get all former Polish-Lithuanian lands.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
The whole ROC/PRC/China/Taiwan thing is one of the best examples of how a political situation in reality can be at the mercy of a political fiction (or rather, several incompatible fictions) that's largely detached from reality.

Or rather, why politically-loaded maps are made to begin with.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I eat at a bunch of Korean restaurants in my city (and always have a tub of kimchi around), and as far as I can tell almost all Korean food is stews? Maybe its just the places I go to.

Stews and soups make up a big chunk of Korean cuisine, but there's other stuff like the aforementioned naengmyeon (cold noodles) and bibimbap, among a bunch of other things. If the stews and soups you're trying are like 75% inedible stuff (usually bones, maybe shells if it's seafood) then its legit.

For mildly adventurous eaters, I always recommend makchang, which is pig intestine prepared in various possible ways (I prefer a spicy red pepper variety) and is p great if you're not weird about non-muscle animal parts. Also yuk-hwe (or however it's best to romanize 회), or beef sashimi. So many people I know wuss out on trying those, though :(

edit: Sorry all, lost track of the thread and contribted to a food derail. I'll try posting a map instead next time.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know what that is.

The literal poo poo they pave their streets with.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Taiwan has cities named Taipei, Taitung, Tainan and Taichung which translates as North, East, South and Central Taiwan respectively. They've always annoyed me for being a) very generic names for cities and b) not having a West Taiwan.

There is one, it's just a minor town rather than a proper city like the others.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

This oddly raises more questions than it answers.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Not only is "The Ukraine" a country, it's bigger by population than any single US states, let alone one of the flyover ones with more cows than people.

There's a difference between saying "The Ukraine" and just "Ukraine".

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Ras Het posted:

It's not the 14th century anymore, no one believes in some divinely ordained arrangement of things, we know that existence is chaos.

When was the last time you talked to soneone who wasn't an intellectual or academic type?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
The fact that that map is self-reported means it's not necessarily reflective of the people's actual language proficiency, just their perception of their own language proficiency. Many people can over- or underestimate their abilities, or exaggerate or downplay them, when asked by a stranger to subjectively evaluate themselves.

edit: referring to the English in Europe map.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

there are more Christians than Buddhists in Korea.

Yeah, Christianity and (Neo-)Confucianism have way more influence on modern Korean society and culture than Buddhism.

I wonder* how the mapmaker defined each group.

* I don't actually wonder they obviously completely pulled it all out of their rear end I mean all of sub-Saharan Africa as a giant monolithic group ("idk black ppl I guess lol") while Europe gets a bunch of little groupings and loving Texas gets its own little snowflake grouping?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's like when you say you don't have a state religion.

... entirely accurate?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That’s probably because of Kyoto.

Kyoto? There are a bunch of cities bigger than Kyoto though?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
It's not official government stance, but South Korean super-conservative types often pull the "gayness is a foreign Western corruption" thing.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Aren't most South Korean super-conservative types Catholic or Methodist, both of which were viewed as foreign Western corruptions themselves upon their introduction.

yep. As usual, xenophobic nativist conservatives don't always make a whole lot of sense.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Hambilderberglar posted:

170ish million, out of 1.2 billion plus populations comes out to be about 15%, which is in the 0-20% range :v:

I assume at least some of that 170ish million are women, too!

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

stone cold posted:

the ussr collapsed 26 years ago

And people have been using "third-world" as a euphemism for "super poor" nearly as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Geshtal posted:

To be fair, at the time it was just Virginia.

You're halfway to getting what he meant.