Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm gonna say this is a different max. It has to be.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying this is a retcon, it's entirely possible that Max had another kid or just adopted. It really seems like he joined or founded community as his PTSD-backs contain multiple characters including an old woman and an aboriginal man. I'm just not seeing how this doesn't mesh with what little established canon exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That stuff was great but I couldn't stand the inappropriate swells when it should have just been silent.

Like when? The swells did a good job of amping up in sync with tense or exciting scenes imo.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Just saw it again and the showing ended up being completely sold out. There were definitely some, like myself, that were into multiple viewings but it seemed mostly new people. Everybody cheered when Joe got his face ripped off and people were crying when it looked like Furiosa was about to die, it was cool seeing everyone's reactions.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Panfilo posted:

What about the lift guard that looks over the baby? Sounds like he says, "Too many lumps! Nahhh..." and throws the baby back to the woman. Might be connected to a part of Max's tattoos- "No Lumps, no Bumps". Lumps in this case could very well mean tumors.

I've seen the lumps/tumors thing come up a couple of times in the thread. I'm personally pretty sure that the Warboy's illness/'half life' definition is just plain old advanced leukemia. Leukemia is caused by continued exposure to radiation, can sometimes take years to fully develop, and causes swollen/tumerous lymph nodes. I'll attach some pictures to the bottom to show what I mean, but know that these lymph node abnormalities can even cause swelling inside the throat, leading to difficulty breathing (Nux talking about his mates 'chewing on his windpipe'). Untreated leukemia eventually leads to myeloma, a type of blood cancer that attacks bone marrow. This leads to anemia and bone tumors, and can be primitively treated by blood transfusions, though apparently that'll only prolong your life by about 4-5 years with regular good blood injections.

Here's an example of hosed up lymph nodes, like what Nux (probably) has:

And here's some advanced leukemia stuff (like what Ace seems to have), these are gonna be linked cause they are a bit horrifying if you're at work or have a weak stomach for medical stuff
:nms:
http://i.imgur.com/5Bxvzjh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JseAfYh.jpg

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Snak posted:

saw this on reddit, one of the early drafts that George Miller did on a plane in 1997
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3ibfw4/this_is_the_fury_road_legend_that_george_miller/

There's an image, but the top comment is a transcript that many will find easier on the eyes.

It is crazy what survived this to the final film

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Immortan Joe had some good ideas

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm surprised that movie has never been adapted into a stage show. Singing gangs. Nostalgia tunes. Outlandish costumes and sets. It would make so much money.

Good news everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaodYSWU0Aw

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

gifs

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Also reviews say it taste like poo poo.

:nws: WITNESS ME!! :nws:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Any reason in particular you had this specific video on speed dial, ready to post at your command? :raise:

I mean I'm not saying it's not topical, I'm just looking at the broader picture here.

You don't?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm still holding hope for the Doof Wagon to get a supporting actor nod.

Doof Warrior for all Oscars forever imo

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzli2Q-Fho

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I have the cake spray, and it is not nearly as shiny and chrome as the spray in the movie. It's more like a slightly sparkly gray.

:mediocre:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'm more amazed at the vitality of a man who can walk around carrying a shotgun, car door and unconscious body, and then have a furious hand-to-hand fight, after having the blood sucked out of him for hours. I had to have four tubes taken for a blood test the other day and I nearly blacked out walking back to my car, like the pathetic pre-apocalyptic Australian that I am :(

Argh, :mediocre:!!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

drunkill posted:

:(

Welp, George is over it. Too tiring to make the movies, although he's happy for someone else to take over. It is a shame. Hopefully he changes his mind again after he makes his next movie. Perhaps filming in Australia if the deserts allowed it would be easier for him, closer to home.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/george-miller-says-i-wont-make-more-mad-max-movies-20160112

If you read the actual source material Miller just said he didn't want to make a huge complicated 25 year Fury Road 2.0 anymore, he just wants to make smaller films in general.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Theron got snubbed at the Golden Globes, the SAGs, and now the Oscars, in favor of Jennifer Lawrence in O. Russell's worst movie since I Heart Huckabees

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Forgot to post this, don't believe everything you read on the internet

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/647505-george-miller-will-direct-more-mad-max-movies-eventually#/slide/1

quote:

A big stink was made two days ago over an interview Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller gave in which he was quoted as saying that he won’t make more Mad Max movies. Now that the dust has settled and the Australian filmmaker has two more Oscar nominations under his belt for the film (Best Picture, Best Director; the film itself received 10 total), he’s spoken to TheWrap and clarified the previous statement, which was in fact a misquote.

“That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review,” he said. “She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another ‘Mad Max’ movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another ‘Mad Max.’ It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”

That jibes with a statement Miller made to Studio 360 a few days ago, where he seemed open to the possibility of doing more himself.

“What happened to Max after ‘Fury Road’? What happened before ‘Fury Road’? What happened to the other characters?” Miller said. “Those stories are there — probably not as the next film but the film after. I’d like to do one of them. We’ll see. As John Lennon said, life is what happens when you’re making other plans. There are so many other directors out there. People are directing younger and younger. They’re getting a real sense of cinema very, very early. There are some great directors out there.”

Despite rumors that Warner Bros. offered Miller a stab at a Man of Steel sequel, the Australian is apparently going much smaller for his mysterious next directorial outing.

“I’ve got something a bit smaller before we go back out into the wasteland — something that’s contemporary that we can get through fairly quickly,” said Miller to Entertainment Weekly last week. “And something with not too much technical difficulty. Something more performance-based and so on, just to clear the exhaust.”

Of course, these are still early days on the Mad Max 5 and 6 front, although with Blu-ray/DVD sales going through the roof, it seems like only a matter of time before Tom Hardy slaps on the leather jacket again to meet the challenges a post-apocalyptic landscape has to offer. All we know right now is Charlize Theron’s Furiosa is not expected to play a central role. Even the proposed title Miller previously revealed for the next movie, “Mad Max: The Wasteland,” is also apparently in flux.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/647505-george-miller-will-direct-more-mad-max-movies-eventually#s6aKE2al25exzSTj.99

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

freebooter posted:

If Miller does it everything is fine. Miller is the man who broke the 15+ year pattern of Hollywood ham-fistedly resurrecting long-dead franchises from our youth.

I was thinking about this and is Miller the only director who's rebooted/resurrected his own franchise decades later?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

howe_sam posted:

George Miller interviewed on NPR's Fresh Air. Sadly, Terry Gross didn't do the interview herself, but she does read a synopsis of the film which was :perfect:

This is great thanks

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

GORDON posted:

Something I thought about today while zoning out swimming laps:

I always assumed Furiosa had her arm cut off at some point... it's a violent life she lives. Then I got to wondering.... what if she and her mother were kidnapped from The Green Place and taken to the Citadel to be another breeder.... and why was she not then a breeder, any more.... maybe she was barren? Suggesting that Furiosa may have spent her post-adolescence being repeatedly raped by IJ.

But then I wondered... maybe her arm is a birth defect, so IJ wouldn't try to breed her, as he was looking for perfect babbies.

Does the literature of the backstory address any of this?

Miller and Theron have confirmed that Furiosa lost her arm in combat, but it's unclear exactly when (though she was probably already in service to The Immortan)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

There's also some more info on exactly how the Wives are chosen. There's a shot left in the first elevator scene where a pretty girl (also played by a model, I think) is being lifted up, and a deleted scene showed her being chosen as a new wife. The same scene showed a woman letting herself be chosen as a milker and a deformed baby being rejected as a War Pup. I think Joe will take women from anywhere, even the Wretched on the ground below, as long as they're pretty enough to be accepted. So the current stable of Wives may have been kidnapping victims, but others (especially Cheedo, who's suffering from some bad emotional abuse) could have been willing volunteers looking for a better life.

Wives are chosen based on their attractiveness yes, but mostly chosen based on their full life/half life status (which I still take to mean as either not having/having leukemia or cancer).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Randomly clicking around:

- The women aren't having sex with the narrator

- Why is Joe looking at the compass going haywire near the sandstorm he doesn't need it to follow the war rig???????

- When the vehicles get stuck in the mud why don't they go around it???

- Night changed to day because of budget??? (seriously, the gently caress does that even mean?)

- Immortan Joe just happens to have water in his rock fortress???

- Why didn't Max kill the People Eater (and he asks this while they play the answer: because he used him as a human shield)

Pretty much all things that either are dumb as hell, a bad joke, or completely incomprehensibly stupid. Like if you can look at the movie with your eyes and you're not a mentally challenged toddler you can figure this poo poo out for yourself.

Just clicked it to a random spot aaaaaand . . .

what in the unholy gently caress, how can anyone be so goddamn dense :psypop:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

That character's bedside manner vs. what his knowledge and job is and the people he works for is one of my favorite small things in the movie. Like this guy must be one of like four or five doctors left on earth.

Yeah with his knowledge and skillset he could ask for just about anything/get away with anything cause where on earth are you gonna get another one of him

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

moths posted:

I'm still confused as to exactly how producing Avatar was a mistake from the studio's perspective.

Publicly and loudly proclaiming how much Avatar sucked every time it's brought up in conversation is the best way to show off how unique and refined your media tastes are nowadays.

See also, Prometheus.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Spike TV Ren and Stimpy

drat man trigger warning that poo poo

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not sure why nerds think China is so likely to survive/thrive considering they're staring post apocalyptia right in the face with constant civil unrest, a tanking economy, and one of the worst water shortages in recorded history looming.

Like, if you asked me to rank major powers in order of closeness to Mad Maxing the gently caress out, I'd put China at number 1 no question.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I could see a sequel going in lots of different directions. I've often wondered what probably happened right after the events of Fury Road.

For example, maybe Furiosia dies of her wounds, lionizing her as some martyr to stand up for all the downtrodden people in the Citadel. Max has already moved on, but there's this huge power vacuum in the area because all the major warlords are dead. Who picks up the pieces? a post-post apocalyptic situation.

I'd have it where Max just happens to come back ten years later, gets another car stolen/broken/etc again and has to navigate the new situation to be on his way. In the meantime the local people just traded one Cargo Cult for another, maybe he tries to use the fact that he helped Furiosa free the wives in the past to give him leverage toward getting supplies, but the whole legend of what happened on the Fury Road has elevated him and Furiosa's deeds to the point they don't believe this raggedy man could have possibly been the same guy. It would be a great exploration of how legends of people become so much grander than the people themselves, and how people are prone to making the same dumb mistakes and creating a circular follow-the-leader when it comes to trying to form some rudimentary form of government.

I hope you've got a good imagination cause with the way Miller structures sequels you're never gonna find out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Panfilo posted:

You know, something else that they could explore in a sequel (that would be much more general and applicable ) is the whole guzzoline crisis.

I always remembered Mad Max movies as people fighting over Guzzoline. But in Fury Road water seemed much more critical. The only time guzzoline became relevant was when Furiosa was gonna barter the fuel pod for safe passage, and the People Eater complaining about how much guzzoline got spent. Of course we also don't know what Gastown's annual oil production is or anything like that. But it seemed like in Fury Road these resources were fairly stable, just isolated in the hands of the various warlords.

An interesting sequel would be where they really focus on how scarce guzzoline is, how critical it is for survival, and the lengths people are going to go to get it.

Water is rapidly becoming scarcer then gas in many parts of the world, hence the new focus on it as the critical resource.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

The first shot you see of the bicycle warboys or whatever is their GIANT loving CALVES.

"WITNESS MEEEEEE!!!!!"

*does a wicked bunny hop that totally gets like 3 feet, easy*

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

well why not posted:

I'd thought that Guzzoline was water, but now I'm not so sure.

Guzzoline is absolutely not water it is a play on how Aussies say 'gasoline'

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

well why not posted:

I'm Australian, we don't say gasoline or guzzoline.

Literally 5 posts above yours is the explanation champ

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

jeeves posted:

You gotta pronounce it the correct way, like Ace at the beginning of the movie during the war boy chants:

Aqua CO-la

Also Ace was awesome.

it's true

rip Ace, you were only following orders

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

The only person I've run into like that lately was one of my wife's coworkers. He hated Fury Road and almost immediately proceeded to talk about how Batman v Superman was actually one of the greatest films ever made.

He's kind of a weird guy.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Was his name Bizarro?

His name was Chadwick which should tell you a lot right there

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

MrMojok posted:

SMG's real name is Chadwick, and he works with Zakharov's wife?

Holy gently caress don't even joke about that.

Basebf555 posted:

There's also a good amount of people who have been conditioned to expect a certain structure in an action movie because they haven't really seen anything even a little bit outside the mainstream for many years. So Fury Road comes along and it gets a shitload of attention, so it becomes mainstream enough that these people seek it out and watch it. But Fury Road just throws the audience into a fully formed world and expects them to pick up on important pieces of plot information along the way. A lot of people become disoriented and a third of the way through the movie they're asking themselves what this character's deal is, or what that line was supposed to mean, or who this guy is or why is he fighting these other guys.

For instance, its a long time before we're actually given any expository dialogue about the Warboys other than some cryptic conversations they have amongst themselves at the beginning. A lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea that there's these weird guys in white makeup that fight for this warlord but we aren't told exactly why they look like that or why they say all that bizarre poo poo that doesn't make much sense on first viewing.

There's definitely something to this. My father had a real rough time at the start of the film, the discussion basically went:

"Where is this supposed to be?"
"Just somewhere in Australia, kinda implied to be Northern Australia."
"I've been to Northern Australia and they didn't have any giant skull mountains!"
"The bad guy carved/built it with his army."
"How!? It's post apocalyptic I thought!"
"The same way ancient Egyptians build the Pyramids."
"Huh...I don't know..."

He was fine once the cars started smashing around though.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I bet she makes him go full Erectus. :quagmire:

Someone should have told him you never go full retard.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Xealot posted:

I rewatched Fury Road recently with someone who had not seen it, and it became funny the number of times the best explanation as to why something was happening was, "gently caress you. It just is." What are the boils from? What happened to Furiosa's arm? Why are they Norse pagans in Australia? Why do they need blood transfusions all the time? "Because gently caress you. They do.

The thing is most of those questions can be answered from careful watching. Furiosa lost her arm in some distant combat (which isn't talked about because it's Max's movie, despite what some may say). Joe's religion is a mishmash of random heavy metal bullshit because it sounds cool and kids who've grown up post-apocalyptic won't know any better anyway. I once heard someone describe Joe's religion as a faith built out of Motorhead liner notes. And since I keep hearing people ask about the half-life illness I'm just gonna repost my earlier thoughts on the subject:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've seen the lumps/tumors thing come up a couple of times in the thread. I'm personally pretty sure that the Warboy's illness/'half life' definition is just plain old advanced leukemia. Leukemia is caused by continued exposure to radiation, can sometimes take years to fully develop, and causes swollen/tumerous lymph nodes. I'll attach some pictures to the bottom to show what I mean, but know that these lymph node abnormalities can even cause swelling inside the throat, leading to difficulty breathing (Nux talking about his mates 'chewing on his windpipe'). Untreated leukemia eventually leads to myeloma, a type of blood cancer that attacks bone marrow. This leads to anemia and bone tumors, and can be primitively treated by blood transfusions, though apparently that'll only prolong your life by about 4-5 years with regular good blood injections.

Here's an example of hosed up lymph nodes, like what Nux (probably) has:

And here's some advanced leukemia stuff (like what Ace seems to have), these are gonna be linked cause they are a bit horrifying if you're at work or have a weak stomach for medical stuff
:nms:
http://i.imgur.com/5Bxvzjh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JseAfYh.jpg

Keep in mind that Miller was a for real medical doctor and all this stuff would be pretty familiar to him. Even People Eaters foot has an explanation, that type of gigantism can be caused by walking barefoot on radioactive soil.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Lymphoma is another plausible-sounding culprit.

Probably a mixture of both throughout the population, the lymphatic system really really doesn't play nice with radiation.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Keanu is good and deserved neither all the horrific things that have happened to him nor the typecasting memes the public have grafted onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

One of my former coworkers got gout because he ate pretty much nothing but protein powder.

• Locked thread