Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pixaal posted:

The IGN review implied you could play local with a 3DS on the wiiU and the TV would be a showcase for your battle and the person on wiiU would just use the pad.

A showcase? I'm at work and can't access the review, but what the hell does that mean? I though that one person just gets the TV/pad and the other gets the 3DS.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Looking at my amazon orders list and my copies still haven't shipped. It says they'll be here by 8:00pm tomorrow night. They'll get here, right? Right? :qq:

Joking aside, I think there's a big amazon warehouse in southern California near me, so it might make it in time.

Same here, and also the $20 off both copies automatically applied (thanks for the heads up!), but Amazon has never failed me with release-day shipping.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pixaal posted:

The way It looked in the review they had a few 3DS and a wiiU person using the game pad and the TV just kinda did an Auto Camera for an HD view of the fight (that no one would look at). It would be cool for a group of people watching or if you streamed the TV view I guess. I'm just using the exact words they used in the video.

Unless they showed that in the review I don't think that's the case, and I surely hope it isn't.

Is there anything stopping you from immediately going online or transferring characters between consoles or is that all available when you finish the character creation?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WendigoJohnson posted:

I've been pronouncing Rathalos wrong all this time. :negative:

It seems like she pronounced it "Rothalos" but Rathian sounded right. How were you pronouncing it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the dynamic HUD even do?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lazy Programming posted:

The 3DS version worth bothering with without a WiiU or is the meat in the online play? I don't have any friends with 3DSes.

Tri had some bosses that were Online only, no clue if this still applies here. Does anyone know if you can fight Jhen offline and vice versa for Ceadeus?

Funkmaster General posted:

While I'm discussing this, I also say "Please-ee-oth" and I often hear "Pless-ee-oth." Verdict?

Please-ee-oth, because I'm assuming it's based off Plesiosaur. The real question, how do you pronounce Ceadeus?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can fight Jhen in village quests, or online solo, and you can fight Goldbeard Ceadeus online. I think regular Ceadeus is still village-only.

Say-dee-us here.

Can you access both Jhen's offline too?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

darkhand posted:

I'm going to my first midnight preorder opening. Christ what have I gotten my self into? Do I need to bring some sanitary wipes?

Monster Hunter one hell of a drug

No, they're fine. Usually a bunch of dudes just in a line talking to their friends. There's a couple little kids, neckbeards and some one that's obviously way too loud and is trying to show off by talking about some game no one cares about. It'll also go by really quick if you're just talking with your friends and 100+ people can shuffle through quickly. You're in and out before you know it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress Capcom so hard in the rear end for not releasing this at midnight.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't see why Nintendo would dictate when it goes live, haven't other titles been released at midnight?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well gently caress me; purchased the digital version right before I left for work and brought the 3DS with me to finish at work (because the download was abysmally slow) and our network is blocking the connection so it won't finish. :suicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Moon Monster posted:

Estimated download time: 10 hours 20 minutes :stare:

If this had gone up at midnight I could have downloaded this at work! Are Nintendo's servers getting slammed or something? I get download rates greater than a megabyte per second on my computer.

No, it's just the service is a piece of poo poo and based on demand in your area, so if something isn't really being downloaded by anyone near you you're SOL.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is the transfer tool up? I'm hoping to play my save on the TV tonight.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What should I have my farm cultivating for me? And why the hell can't they get me Spiderwebs (I think that's what it takes for Nets?), I want to capture poo poo god drat it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know how to get pumpkins? I don't think this game has generic red seeds.

Someone said you get them from the Argosy Captain, but they haven't appeared for me anytime I've talked to him. Shame too because that Pumpkin armor is awesome.

Argas posted:

There's a few things that you must harvest, period. Carpenterbugs, killer beetles, etc. The bug spot outside the cave in Moga Woods 3 has a good chance of dropping spider-webs, though Tri Ultimate has added more spider-webs elsewhere. I almost always drop by that spot to see if I can get a few webs from it.

Thanks, I'll have to remember to check that area for webs then.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus it's begun; I clocked in 21 hours straight yesterday after 3 friends came over. This game is going to ruin me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lance combos done right can dish out damage way faster than most weapons. They won't be outspeeding dual swords or anything, but they're certainly not slow. YOU are slow while wielding a lance, but if you need to move quickly just sheathe the thing.

I think that's his point; you're slow as all poo poo when wielding a Lance and constantly putting it away just to run to the Monster and get maybe a stab or two in is really god drat boring. Pulling combos off with it is satisfying and was my main weapon in Tri, but anything that moved around fast was so tedious to deal with. I can also do without it's sidestep/backhop and the shield just makes things too easy.

I really hope somewhere down the line Capcom decides to put Monster Hunter on an engine that isn't a decade old, scrap zones and just give us a huge world to just roam around in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I'm seeing why people call Lance "easy mode".

Because you're safe from nearly everything if you just hold R.

Ayss posted:

I know what you mean. I'm usually not a fan of grinding games, so I'm not sure where the special magic is in this one, but I've been poisoning bugs for the the last two hours so I can eventually be the prettiest bug princess in the land (And get that sweet Status skill to go with my bow's status shots).

Probably because the combat is actually involved and not based around mouse-clicks and dice rolls like everything else that's a huge grind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone prefer playing on the 3DS instead of the Wii U, or am I a nut? While I enjoy the HD resolution the framerate is really erratic and it's loving annoying, I'm also more accurate with the 3D since it's easier to judge distances.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So if a monster is ready for cap it takes 2 Tranq Bombs, but if ready and enraged it's 3 right? Or is there some other reason why it sometimes takes 3?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The only fight I've ever lost (in Single player) and it's loving Ceadeus; I just can't seem to do enough damage to it before it escapes or whatever. I don't remember it being such a pain in the rear end in Tri, but then again I was torpedoing the poo poo out of it with a Lance and not using a Hunting Horn that sucks underwater.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there ever a reason to kill over cap?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stoat posted:

Can 3ds and PSP users play together?

No, especially since there isn't a PSP version.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I can now make (if I had the parts) the pumpkin armor; holy poo poo it looks great and I need me some pumpkins god drat you Argosy Captain!

Also, what do I do for the "Siren's Song" quest? It seems to have the same objectives as a Harvest Tour but I can also kill 2 Pecos instead? Can I just wait it out or are killing the Pecos mandatory?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I AM CARVALLO posted:

So how exactly do the controls work on the 3DS without the CPP?

Exactly the same, you'll just been using the D-pad and touch screen D-pad to move the camera around and using the lock-on a lot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

Does Granny sell ores? I tried for like an hour last night to farm machalite and pelagicite so I could make Alloy Armor (I want the fast sharpening skill because I'm trying switch axe and holy moly this thing dulls fast), and found like one of each. :argh:

Where were you trying to get get them? I believe you have a better chance of mining them in the Flooded Forest and Pelagicite I tend to find when mining stuff underwater.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what's the progression for monsters? Is it, LR < HR < SubSpecies HR < G Rank < SubSpecies G Rank? Assuming subspecies are still a thing in G Rank.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nechronic posted:

Maybe Joe just wants to hug everything but he can't with his tiny arms so he tries to use his mouth but people don't like that so they start hitting him and that makes him mad which upsets his stomach so he can't stop spewing dragon breath everywhere and now all his new friends are dead :smith:

So he's a goon?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Roll with a Hunting Horn user with Negate Stamina and your problems are solved.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

Not really, no. I'm told the lance is the least annoying weapon to use underwater, but I kinda prefer the hammer and gunlance. They're all a depth-perception-less pain in the arse though.

This is absolutely true, except I've found when playing on the 3DS with the 3D maxed out I'm a ton more accurate. Either way, gently caress fighting underwater.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

How far do I need to be in single player before I've upgraded all the canteen foods as high as I can get? I know I have to go to port for some of them, I just don't know how much further to go. I just started high rank village, for reference.

I'm not sure, but there's a lot of Canteen quests online too so I think you have to play both to max it out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brett824 posted:

Let me introduce you to a little concept called gambling...

Except it's not because you don't win anything either way, if that's gambling so is getting a random toy from one of those gumball-like machines.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Demerine posted:

Keep going; you get Kayamba when you finish off Duramboros and Cha-Cha returns when you open up the fight with Caedeus.

That said, I've been playing on both the 3DS and the WiiU and people swear by the Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS. I've been clawing since MH2 on the PSP, so...I haven't had much an issue, but I can see how it would help a ton.

Also, Liquidypoo, thank you for helping me get to HR4 today and spruce up my collection of long swords a bit. I guess my next task is pushing standard Rathalos to extinction, or close to it.

I'm pretty sure Cha-Cha returns upon killing/capping Nibelsnarf.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dvorak posted:

So why exactly will they bring the new MHO here, but not Frontier? And yeah I know Frontier isn't that great.

I don't think they'd bring over such a dated MMO that really wouldn't catch on in the West when they have MHO on the horizon.

That Gobbo posted:

Seems like the solo Jhen Mohran doesn't have enough ballista/cannon ammo to last through the fight so am I expected to just ping him in the feet until the Dragonator is off cooldown in the Final Showdown?

gently caress spending 30 minutes on that poo poo and getting nothing out of it.

Fighting Jhen is all about using all the tools the ship has but they won't kill him for you. The ballista is not enough, you have to get on him or in the second phase beat on his feet a lot for him to keel over.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speedboat Jones posted:

I'm sorry that you can't make one set of armor that beats the whole game.

But you can if you make a set of armor for each rank and nothing else. You don't need to farm any armor set just to get an elemental bonus just to bring a certain monster down more easily, but you can if you want. Set bonuses are nice and if I take more damage from a certain type of attack due to my armor I don't need to farm something else just to counter it, I'll roll with the punches and just up my game.

If you're going to sperg out and minmax the poo poo out of the game, then that's the only time you need to farm everything but if that's your thing you know what you're in for.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well, I've taken down Brachydios four times with only a single Ebonshell to show for my efforts.

This is going to bother me be a trend, isn't it.

Eh, sometimes you'll be lucky and you'll get all of the materials you need in a single go other times you'll swear they never drop. I had to get a Brachy Gem for my Switch-Axe upgrade and tried farming the fucker for two hours one night before giving up, then next morning I did a 2 Brachy quest and got two Gems which worked out because it allowed me to make a full Brachy set.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, it's good to know that I'll never beat the singleplayer fully because this Mark of A Hero quest is pure bullshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Office Thug posted:

The Alatreon that comes afterwards is more of the same crap. He deals G-rank levels of damage (although apparently just slightly less than the eventual online G-rank event alatreon) and has enough health to draw the fight out over 40 minutes. He drops HR stuff but should be treated as G-rank.

Basically, beat online G-rank and you'll be ready to beat Mark of A Hero and Alatreon, as ridiculous as that sounds.

I don't mind Alatreon being hard, I just never made it far enough in Tri to fight him and was hoping I'd be brickwalled at him but no, a trio of dude's I've already fought but now in G-Rank were playing solo doesn't really make any god drat sense. I know that Alatreon is going to be available later as a DLC quest for multiplayer but I would have been fun to fight him at the end of singleplayer.

Chronojam posted:

Then Joe walks into that area, goes up to the sleeping Rathalos, and starts eating him :stonk:

Yeah, Jho will go around and eat any captured monsters for stamina. I've only seen it once when some friends and I were going against two monsters in the Tundra or something and he popped up and we decided to murder him as well. Well he zoned and we zoned and saw him just eating whatever the hell we just capped. We proceeded to end him for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChibiSoma posted:

The hardest part is honestly dealing with Dios when he's enraged. Getting Power Geysered will absolutely murder you. If you have Flash Bombs/Traps with you, save them for that point to give yourself some breathing room. You'll probably be racing the clock, but keep beating your head against it. Just... maybe get into G-Rank and upgrade your gear a level or two before trying it. Trying it with HR gear is doable, but it's really hard.

That's the biggest problem for me, I'm in G Rank gear and a maxed Dios Switch Axe but every attack Ivory Lagi does just brutalizes me. Maybe I've become reckless because I just blew through all of HR due to being way overgeared. I'll have to give it another shot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Potsticker posted:

There might be confirmation bias here, but it seems to me that doing solo port stuff is definitely easier than duoing in multiplayer. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference if there are two or three players, but if you have a full party it seems like the monsters are again beefed up.

But with four people, the game is pretty easy because the monsters are focusing on one guy while three people are attacking it. Solo isn't so bad, though I would suggest you do village quests until you have both Shakalakas at least.

Any of the multiplayer quests are scaled for 4 players, which is why playing with just one other friend is harder than with a full team. I'd agree that the game is pretty easy with a full party, but the game doesn't really "start" until G-Rank, anything before it is just training.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xavier434 posted:

Quick tip about this fight. If Lagi enters Area 4 do not chase after him right away. If you do then there is a much higher chance that he will spend most or all of his time there under water. If you give him a little time and then enter the zone there is a much higher chance that he will go on land for bit.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct, I think it'd completely random how long they stay in a certain area for. I've had many a fight where we followed something that just zoned, had him do a single attack and then run again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Where did you get that? I want to pick it up.

• Locked thread