Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

santanotreal posted:

As opposed to the other glamorous actions of pirates?

This, basically. The entire point of the ride is to glamorize a group of people whose actual lives and actions probably ought not be glamorized so much. While also being child-appropriate. Presumably Disney has something in mind for that part of the ride that will avoid the many mines associated with painting too a rosy picture of people who weren’t nearly as rosy in person.

Edit: then again, when the ride was developed/opened kids still played cowboys and indians. I suspect a lot of the people associated with that time period would consider 2018 overly sensitive about a lot more than just the girl auction scene at PotC.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I just want to ask the people saying it shouldn’t change how they would feel if it were a brown person being sold and if they see the problem now.

The entire point of PotC is that it’s a comically over the top family friendly version of what real pirates were but they left in the rapey (fixed earlier) and sex trafficking bit that goes against that entire premise. The fact that real pirates were bad isn’t something anyone is arguing; a realistic portrayal of pirates is and was never the goal of the attraction.

Your second paragraph addresses the first. I don’t see a problem with the auction scene being a PoC, if the ride isn’t trying to be a comically gross misrepresentation of the period. Given the apparent intention to whitewash the less savory aspects of 18th-century piracy, any sort of human trafficking doesn’t fit.

Also, rapey bits? Never noticed those when I was riding.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I think I've always looked at Disney as a kind of time capsule. Changing it feels like it's trying to rewrite history. Not the history of pirates, but the history of 1955*. I don't think of it as a living, changing place, despite the recent expansion. Like it's Colonial Williamsburg but for 50 years ago instead of 250.

I strongly agree with this emotionally. Intellectually, I have to point out that Williamsburg probably took in a *lot* less revenue than WDW did last year. If Epcot still had all the same rides as when the park originally opened, I’m not sure it would draw nearly as many visitors as it currently does. The park needs to evolve to keep people coming, and I suppose that changing aspects within the rides is a natural part of that.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Icedude posted:

Well I'm going to be hitting Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea at the end of April, so I'll make sure to post about it :D

I live in Tokyo. If you want to meet up and grab dinner some night, PM me. I know a few good places near Ikebukuro.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

poolside toaster posted:

most of the Annual Assholes are blocked - just think of the number of tickets they're going to sell to people with passes

Why use the phrase “Annual Assholes” when you have the perfectly good portmanteau “Passholes” available?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Get the off menu drinks. So good

Got a list anywhere? (Also, I now deeply regret not getting that job that would have seen me living two miles from Trader Sam’s. My finances and liver are happier that I missed out.)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That sounds horrible. I wonder if anyone at Disney knows you can buy compostable cup lids.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Aren’t there tie-ins to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cais posted:

They told the photographers yesterday. They’re crushed.

Understandably so, since this means they’re getting fired?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nimper posted:

Yeah I hear that. I've seen some reports of cars valleying at a certain part of the ride too.

Valleying? What is that?

BlueBayou posted:

Though tbf, I have my vision go dark on most coasters these days.

Likewise. Is this a sign I need to be doing more cardio, or am I just doomed to progressively tamer rides?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

brunch with yr parents posted:

With that in mind, I’d love to hear folks’ thoughts on just how crowded the parks will be and any tips on managing the crowds that are there. Thanks!

I was at Universal on Christmas Day a couple of years ago (or maybe New Years; whichever it was, they were literally pulling accountants and HR people to work in the parks due to the crowd). Having Express Passes will make your life vastly easier, but you’ll want to be at the park at rope drop to hurry out to the Hogwarts Express. Take it in whichever direction and quickly move to whichever ride doesn’t take Express Passes on your exit side (IIRC, Forbidden Journey and Gringotts). From what I remember, if you hit Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks at off-peak hours there is no problem at all finding a table, even for a party of 8 like we were.

Flight of the Hippogriff takes Express Passes, so if your kid is anything like mine expect to be spending a goodly amount of time in that line.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It’s weird to see people use the same reasoning (“little details everywhere”) to claim that Pandora is better than TSL and also that TSL is better than Pandora.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Gejimayu posted:

Yeah, it's looking like we'll have a 2 year old in tow. Anyone have general tips for that? We rented a house because there are like 8 of us. Is there any sort of daycare option at wdw if you arent staying on site?

As others have said, bring/rent a stroller, and don’t be afraid to go home in the middle of the day for a nap. I can’t speak for you, but I preferred doing less time in the parks but with a happier kid (plus, the time away from the parks will also recharge *your* batteries and make the rest of the day that much more pleasant).

If your rental house is far from the parks, this page suggests that you can chill in some of the closer resorts even if you are not a guest there. It’s not something I’ve ever done, so I don’t know how accurate the tip is. I also don’t like the suggestion that you can sleep during Spaceship Earth. :mad:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

Side note, if you have access to Google Earth VR do NOT visit a Disney park you've been to unless you want to get a powerful hankering to go back.

qft

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Ell oh ell if you think they did anything other than the super-mega-ultra-VIP tour that comes with a butler and permanent front-of-the-line access. Not like cost is an object to either of them.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It's okay. It's decent sushi, but the rice just falls apart when you try to pick up a "piece" with the fish on it. Unless you use a fork or your hands, you basically end up eating the individual pieces of fish and then scooping up the rice.

I do recommend getting the sake because you get a wooden masu cup with your name written in Japanese on it.

Note to potential visitors of real Japan, not just the Epcot version: same advice applies regarding donut sushi here. If you see it, try it once for novelty; then pretend it doesn’t exist.

And, uh, what do they mean by “your name in Japanese”? We talking katakana, or are they trying to squeeze Western names into kanji? ’Cause that latter option means a whooooole lotta people walking around with Japanese text that makes Ariana Grande look good by comparison.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Saladman posted:

Also my Japanese is pretty rusty as I haven’t used it once in almost 10 years but a subscript "i" does not exist in hiragana, as used for "codei" in the photo.That might just be a handwriting issue but it looks more like someone meant to write katakana (which has a subscript "i") but instead accidentally wrote hiragana.

Agree that seeing hiragana used for foreign words is weird. There are friendly-looking curvy katakana fonts that would match the Disney milieu. And yeah, your Japanese is out of date. Subscript vowels are becoming quite common. フォ (“fo”), ティ (“ti”), and ヴァ (“va”) are all over the place.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
By sheer chance, I wound up at Trader Sam’s in Orlando last night. Seems they don’t do the Kungaloosh there (:(), but there are other off-menu items I could have asked for. Is there a handy list somewhere for the next time I happen to be around?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That was my first thought as well: those uniforms look like guaranteed cases of heatstroke come summertime.

My second thought: if cast members get to wear whatever combination they choose, who buys the various articles? Are they provided by Disney for free? How many? Are they laundered by Disney, or is it the cast’s job to do their own uniform washing?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I always saw Pandora as the trial run for themed lands; better to do the prototyping with an intellectual property nobody really cares about. It makes sense that they weren’t sure how Pandora would turn out. With all the lessons from Pandora, plus whatever they managed to steal glean from Universal’s Harry Potter experience, they’re much more confident in Galaxy’s Edge. And it’s working. Even though I should know better than to get excited, I am all the same.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

sounds like they're way overselling AK's nights.

Pandora is still the new hotness, right? So even if they sold the same number of tickets as before Pandora opened, a disproportionate number of people will go there instead of wandering around the rest of the park. Should Disney sell fewer tickets for the After Hours events just because a new attraction opened? (Semi-serious question. It seems like Disney just needs to eat some profits to keep fans happy in situations like this, but it’s a bit perverse that they need to reduce ticket sales when something opens.)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Am officially going to Tokyo disney in May.

Is it tru they dont like VISA cards?

News to me. Japan is still largely cash-based, so I recommend that option to be sure. But I can’t imagine a large multinational like Disney making it harder for people to buy poo poo. And I am pretty sure I paid for my tickets with a VISA card the last time I went.

P.S.: shoot me a PM if you have down time while you’re in Tokyo. I know a couple out-of-the-way restaurants that have been very well-received by visitors.

Edit: Seems like there shouldn’t be too much trouble as a general rule. But cash is still king.
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdl/service/detail/012/

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 2, 2019

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

I was hoping to buy park tickets ahead of time to avoid waiting in line at the park in the morning

You can purchase the tickets online and have them delivered to an address of your choosing, which strongly suggests that they accept credit cards for this purpose (I couldn’t go far enough to confirm that there was a credit card option, since they require you to enter/create an account for online purchases). The page is even available in English:
https://reserve.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/sp/ticket/search/?outside=1&route=2&parkTicketGroupCd=01

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

couldcareless posted:

3 shots for a whole pitcher? I guess if I lost 100lbs that might do the trick.

Maybe lemonade containers are one pint where Tim Whatley lives?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve done TDS on a cloudy/rainy day also. It was great (admittedly, this was in 2008, so it’s possible the experience might differ ten years later). Enjoy your visit to Tokyo!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I can report back on Universal Osaka next week if nobody has before then.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Am I interpreting that map correctly: that the new park will have roughly the same footprint as all three existing parks (including Volcano Bay), plus the resorts, combined?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
By comparison, Universal Osaka was something like ¥7000 for a one-day adult pass. The Express Pass that I bought, which was valid for a single use on each of seven different pre-selected rides, was ¥22000 (so nearly $30 per use, assuming you actually want to do all seven rides—and that was the best deal I saw). So entry is a lot cheaper, but the Express Pass is a lot worse.

I would be interested in hearing what fraction of income at both sites comes from regular tickets, Express Passes, and in-park stuff like food and shopping.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is this the weekend my favorite ride journey into imagination dies? Probably 😢😢

Journey into Imagination died on October 10, 1998. Fight me. <:mad:>

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

So wait time for Smugglers is only 5 hours compared to Hagrids which had a 12 hour wait on launch.

What is the passenger rate these two rides support? Is that information available anywhere?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nanigans posted:

...why can’t I use my Visa for buying DisneySea tickets? I called my bank to authorize it and it’s still giving me an error.

Anyone know if buying these tickets counts as a foreign transaction? There’s a 3% charge for those which is why I’m hesitating using my Mastercard.

As a guess, it does count as a foreign transaction. When I bought tickets for Universal Studios Osaka in July, I literally had to do it on the phone with my card’s representative. The first call to pre-authorize the transaction didn’t work. Neither did the second.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Douchebag posted:

I also really want them to go to the Universal pay model for Fast Pass and scrap the current system too.

I’m torn. I love how easy Universal (in the US) makes their Express Pass. On the other hand, I like that everyone at Disney has the same opportunity for lower wait times, without having to spend as much as $200/person/day (Universal Studios Osaka, and that was limited to one time each on seven rides that USJ pre-selected).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Anya posted:

I am curious why there wasn't toilet paper packed in those emergency kits. Glad the first week of the skyliner started out with an actual bang.

It seems there were waste disposal bags in the kits, so omitting toilet paper does seem a curious decision. Maybe that is what the notebook was for, since I didn’t see a pen(cil) mentioned in the list of contents. :shrug:

Edit: wow, that emoji is impossible to see in dark mode on the Awful App.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does “cast members” refer to only people who work inside the park, or is it an umbrella term for all Disney employees?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The last few times I have been to a Universal park (both US and Japan), the express pass was wildly useful. I can’t imagine doing Universal without it—you get so much more done when you don’t have to wait 60-130 minutes for everything. If the cost of on-site is less than (cost of off-site + express passes for everyone), I think that you’re much better off on-site even if the absolute cost is higher.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hazo posted:

...the parks are more overpriced and overcrowded than ever...

I’m thinkin we should raise AP prices.”

This is exactly how supply and demand work.

Edit: seems I haven’t refreshed the page recently. Sorry to join the dogpile.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Zero One posted:

Tokyo Disney is now closed until at least March 16. Universal Japan will also close.

Holy poo poo. I was there (DisneySea) on Wednesday. Park was still hella crowded, with non-Fastpass wait times at 140+ minutes for the big ticket rides throughout the day. Disney is losing gobs of money doing this.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Disney closing would crash Orlando's economy, and I'm not even talking about the tourism bucks. They'd have to float employees paid time off or a lot of folks would be homeless or worse.

Italy announced that it was suspending mortgage payments since people can’t go to work. Does Orlando have the ability to do that? Seems about the only way you could close the parks and not wind up with a hundred thousand homeless.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Rebooked for first week of May, cheaper flights now too! Let's hope the world gets back to some form of normal before then.

Social distancing saves lives by spreading out a roughly equal number of infections over a longer time period. This keeps the number of infected at any one time below the capacity of the health system, so nobody dies due to rationing. If you look at the graph going around of St Louis and Philadelphia’s responses to the 1918 Spanish Flu, you’ll note that Philadelphia’s epidemic took a few weeks to resolve, while St Louis’s took months. But the total dead are noticeably lower for St Louis.

I have an international trip scheduled for mid-May also, so I would like for things to resolve by then. But I’m doubtful that it’ll be safe in the US by then. The last projections I saw were for a peak in Covid-19 activity in May.

Edit: just got an announcement that my conference in May is canceled. Glad I sprung for refundable plane tickets!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

Plus the addition of summer heat and summer crowds.

I really doubt that crowds will be a thing whenever Disney reopens, unless the US economy threads the needle and beats coronavirus without sliding into a recession.