Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what is a good book on asp.net mvc

i just taught myself using lots of trail & error & some stackoverflow and i think i make the worst mvc apps in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shaggar did I read you saying it's better to set up all your queries on sql server as stored procedures and then just exec from your app?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what's the least terrible version control product that will integrate into vs2012?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i know this is the pos but please dont troll, i really could use some good advice

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i am awful and will go too long w out committing if i have to do more than click button and comment

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i hate any problem that involes mapping values to to other values that's not a problem it's typing
yeah its the only disadvantage of using stored procs instead of an orm

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

java is probably the best lang to learn you some algorithms n' data structures because collections is pretty good.
yeah. uc berkeley put up a real good series of lectures on data structures using java

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV45tHCYNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV45tHCYNI

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

bullshit driven development
please don't post about my professional life

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just put the keyword on its own line and then u dont need to worry about caps

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

if you can look at 6 month old code and not cringe it mean you stop growing as a develop
same but 6 hours

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

write procs in your db and call the procs from ur code. EF will let you use them as function imports which works ok but is not great.
just gonna say i followed this exact advice a few months ago and turns out shaggar was right

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah if your business doesn't rely on your data being accurate or there at all then nosql is ok.
also if you never reasonably expect another human or service to interact with it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

your occupation screening is a piece of poo poo
bullshit interviews to hire coders

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

how bad is VBA anyway a guy I know wants me to do Something in it for his business
Workbook.Open returns a workbook, while Workbook.OpenText (to parse a delimited file as a spreadsheet for example) returns a void so good luck reliably referring to it

just one tiny lil example of how loving bad VBA is

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

all of the office api is horrific and using vba means you have to deal with a bad language as well.
is there a good c# lib for interacting with word docs and maybe spreadsheets without using the office api?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

http://www.officewriter.com/ exists i have no idea if it is good or poo poo and it is probably expensive
yeah thanks that looks interesting but id feel bad getting work to pay for something for a toy project

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

~Coxy posted:

dude just use the openXML sdk like shaggar said

it's not great but it's not too bad either.
yeah that's what i am doing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Deacon of Delicious posted:

also, a helpful tip: telling someone to just not be so sadbrains doesn't work. i mean jfc if it were that easy it wouldn't be a problem
a lot of people cant or wont see that "it's all in your head" is different from "it's within your control"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just use stored procs and then ur messy sql queries will be on the db where they belong

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shaggar was right
i got that stored proc wisdom from him itt and its served me well ever since

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Deacon of Delicious posted:

well now I know a helpful resource exists, so your post has given me the most important thing: *~hope~*
i still have my course notes and materials from the db course i took a while back if you give me an email address

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

C# is great, and should be taught at schools as babbys first lang, to replace our nations standard language: Visual Basic

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ive never done functional stuff but i think map and filter and the lambda expressions are quite nice in python and easier to remember and read than they are in c#

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ui stuff is hard as gently caress. it's hard to learn. it's hard to work with. it requires you to dabble in other fields, e.g. graphic design.

and yet we do it, because it's important. it's the thing users interact with the most (duh)

so why is front-end so low on the totem pole for pay and respect?
the back end is a mysterious black box and who knows how the gently caress those needs made it work. the front end is just these buttons and boxes, it couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes to put it together

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

truly the plangest of all plangs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

God is there anything worse in the whole world than trying to untangle javascript spaghetti code

no

no there is not.
there isn't ny other kind ofjavascript code

you start off with good intentions but the whole language is so hosed that you end up with a file full of functions you c&ped from stackoverflow

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I think Russia is just blocking github ahead of their own vcs where instead of doing commits you do put ins
In soviet russia source controls you lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

I love Web devs everything fits exactly into their round hole.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol if you dont make an obscene amount of money to poo poo out a CRUD app every few weeks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MononcQc posted:

how do svn migrations go anyway?
very carefully, op

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

and my experiences with anything

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hey shaggar what statement mapper do you use along with c#

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kalstrams posted:

err, i brainfarted

wouldn't it work as is then? (note, i have no idea about swift)
no because the variable is initialised as 0 so it would return 0

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao i didn't even realise it was an actual language, I thought it was pseudocode from a textbook or smth

edit i was still right because swift isn't a real language

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

twelve is the lowest number that has more than three factors (not including 1 and itself) which is kinda interesting

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

textbooks often have the same problem where they address things like DI and mocking frameworks and unit testing via babby's first c# mvc webapp or w/e, and youre left thinking why the gently caress would you go to the trouble

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SourcePart for logical parts, SourceItem for physical items? idk

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shitface posted:

ok so I need to learn a bit of js but I have no interest or need for web/browser poo poo. any recommended reading? everything I've found so far is browser focused

https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript

is based on the language itself rather than how it interacts with a browser afaik

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

knockout is some serious ownage not least because it cut about 90% of the razor i have to write in my views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

when you fire the operations guys and tell the developers to deploy their own code and manage all the servers
finally a way to describe my job

• Locked thread