Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

crm posted:

What's a good place to start with Old Gods, because I don't know wtf is going on.

Try Sjaelland. You start off holding half of Denmark and enough troops to immediately conquer the other half. You're related to the major Swedish kingdom and the Norse powers wrecking poo poo on the British Isles, and you have vast swathes of Slavic minors to the south and east to pillage, conquer or just generally stomp around on. Very forgiving, lots of potential, and you get to play with most of the shiny new features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Qwo posted:

How do you reform the Norse faith, anyway? I couldn't see a tooltip for it when I was hovering over things in the Religion panel. Do you personally have to own all the religious sites (or is it a certain number of them?) or can it be reformed so long as anyone of the Norse faith holds those sites?

Inside Outside posted:

How do you reform Norse religions? Do you get something in the decisions menu after you hold all the holy sites? That would have been really helpful to know before I lost my grand Danish kingdom :(

There's a button on the religion screen, in the upper left. I don't know if all the holy sites need to be controlled by Norsies, but I do know you don't need to own all of them personally. Three sites and 50% authority will do it.

e:f,b

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Piell posted:

War Elephant Stats
Offensive: 0.2/25.0/3.2
Defensive: 12.0/20.0/4.0

War Elephant stats per point of maintenance:
Offensive: 0.01/1.25/0.15
Defensive: 0.60/1.00/0.20

Archers are better melee units. :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dongattack posted:

How do you know which caste you should marry? Everyone hates me cause my woman is WRONG SOMEHOW, SHE LOOKED FINE

You want a Kshatriya. Brahmins might do too, I haven't tried it yet. Basically, Brahmin = Priests, Kshatriya = Warriors, Vaishya = wealthy Peasants, and they're ranked top to bottom in that order.

EDIT: What WGS said.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Improve Stat ambitions have always been really flaky for me. Sometimes I'll get three or four points in the very short time, and sometimes I could have them on for fifty years and see nothing- I haven't noticed anything different about them recently. I've definitely had the events fire as rapidly as the ever have today.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

So I never really played in affairs with the UK, started a game last night as Scottland, created Alba and got to their 500-man Pike Retinue.. are these supposed to be game breaking? I had a 6k stack last night and it just didn't matter who threw what at them they just kept steamrolling through armies double and once triple their size. I had 17k troops + my 6k pike retinue stack and dismantled whatever the HRE threw at me.. is this intentional?

Normally play some manner of German/Norse/Muslim game but finally tried Scottland for the first time and didn't realize they had access to pure 500-pike retinues, just wow.

Schiltron is one of the best retinues, yeah. On top of that, you also have a Schiltron cultural tactic, which not only makes your dudes straight up indestructible in melee, it also turns the into murder machines and does triple (quadruple?) damage against charge tactics (Berserkers, Embolon and CLC).

The downside is that pike do basically no damage in skirmish or pursuit, so they're useless for assaulting and low-morale stacks will just bounce off them.

KittyEmpress posted:

The Scottish Pike retinue is... good, but strange. They have lots of bonuses to defense IIRC? I know during a crusade I managed to park a stack of 8k on a mountain and let a 23k stack smash into it, and came out with only 2-3k dead with them having lost 18k of their stack.

If you can lure opponents into hitting you, they can be one of the top retinues.

Defence stats are tactical defence- you get the same benefit out of it regardless of whether you're attacking or defending. River crossings/defence in rough terrain will turn any near-equal battle into a massacre, though.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 26, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not sure the event to remove the Religious Unrest modifier will even trigger if you manage to maintain 75+ MA, I've heard reports of people having high MA for decades and still dealing with constant revolts.

The removal event (RoI.3536, RoI.3537 & RoI.3539) is only every triggered from the "on_yearly_pulse" clause in common/on_actions/00_on_actions.txt.

Now. I'm not entirely sure how yearly pulse events work in CK2, but if it's the same as it was in EUIII (every year you get one event randomly selected from the list, weighted by... its weight)... that event has a 0.4% chance of firing. A year. To clear one province. That's an effective MTTH of 173 years.

Anecdotally, I now have (as a Hindu with 80+% moral authority) three or four converted provinces with the modifier that I've been sitting on for a decade at least, and I've never seen it fire. :shrug:

[e: okay, so it's invisible, so you can't see it fire- but those modifiers haven't gone anywhere]

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DStecks posted:

It would be supremely nice if rulers you just subjugated couldn't just turn around and start an independence faction the second the war ends.

It would be nice if rulers that have just accepted an entirely peaceful offer of vassalisation couldn't just turn around and start an independence faction. :shepicide:

Especially if they're going to draw in people who were perfectly loyal subjects before. :shepicide:

Pakled posted:

I will add that the addition of making new barony-level vassals automatically swear fealty to their count-level overlord is nice, except that sometimes it doesn't do it for some reason. :v:

Oh what. But getting my Dukes' Counts' Mayors to report to me directly was my favourite method of making mad stacks of cash. :(

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

On the whole, this patch/expansion seems to have added a fairly unplayable India (due to mass revolts and various bugs) and added various restrictions to mechanics for other characters that a lot of players seem pretty unhappy with. Paradox has generally done an excellent job with CK2, but the RoI launch has me disappointed and reminds me a lot of many of their past notoriety for bugginess.

In retrospect, adding an entire subcontinent all at once might have been a tad too much for one expansion. Though, in fairness, there aren't that many bugs, just a couple of really killer ones, so far as I can tell.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DStecks posted:

Modding question: Is there any way to add a new barony title to the game, with a predefined location, without modifying the base landed_titles.txt file? It feels like such a minor addition, and I'd hate to ruin compatibility with any other mod that modifies the map.

DrSunshine posted:

No, landed_titles.txt is the only way to control this.

This, but also: most (all?) provinces in the game have the full six barony titles defined for them already, even if they don't use them. The number that actually show up in the game is controlled by the max_holdings line in the relevant province history file. You'd still be breaking compatibility with mods that changed those files, of course.

In the beta, you could actually change a province's max_holdings value by editing it in the savegame- I don't know if that still works, but the value's still there. Theoretically, if it can be manipulated in the savegame, you might be able to get Gars to add a script command that changes the number of holdings on the fly. :catstare:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

The weirdest thing is that I remember they claimed to do something like this (defining mods to landed_titles as differences rather than the complete file) in a really unclear patch note a few patches back, but they never bothered to explain how it worked and nobody ever figured it out.

paradox_mod_support.txt :v:

monster on a stick posted:

Except

Should I start building other kinds of retinues, like cavalry, or stick with the Gallowglass?

:stare:

Okay, I think I've got a strategy for you. Bit tricky to pull off, but should be doable:

1. Go to military screen, raise all levies
2. Zoom all the way out
3. Drag select the entire map
4. Point your Infinite Murder Machine in the general direction of the East
5. Bunk off down the pub for a pint

Seriously though, you must have levies going on half a million, no?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Techno Remix posted:

I've seriously almost got this game down. I'm sinking massive amounts of time into it and actually getting the hang of building some stable stuff in the start.

My question is now about what determines who controls a county after I win the war for it. Just doing a short experiment, I started as the Count of Capua in Italy. Easily conquered Neapolis to form the Duchy of Capua. I set my sights on the Duchy of Benevento to the northwest (forging a claim for it via my chancellor) and after a long fight ended up winning it. The two counties now belong to my Duchy of Capua but I don't have direct demesne control over the provinces themselves. One is held by some random guy and the other is held by the old Duke (now my Count). I don't have the option to flat out revoke his title because it's telling me that I have to have a special reason in time of peace. I can't plot to revoke it for some reason and I can't consolidate the Duchy of Benevento under one person for whatever reason.

Maybe there's some mechanic I'm missing. I'm probably not explaining it well but does that sound about right? How can I go about putting those counties under my direct control?

If you want to take counties directly in a claim war then you need a claim on the county itself. A claim on the Duchy title is just a claim on the Duchy title, and, as you have learnt, that doesn't actually come with any land attached, just the strong suggestion that the people holding the land listen to you.

Fortunately, I think you can still use your chancellor to forge claims on provinces within your realm. Might piss your vassals off, I'm not sure- it's not something I've ever done, that I remember.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

MrBling posted:

Finally, does the Tengri 30% bonus to light cav attack/defence make the Hungarian cultural retinue worthwhile?

Unless something's changed in the last patch or so, LC are one of the weakest troop types and any retinue built around them is right at the bottom of the pack.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

double nine posted:

Can anyone confirm that, as of the latest beta patch (2.1.2.1) there are no events that remove craven and no events that add brave?

Alas...

What gave you that impression?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

double nine posted:

Something must be up with my search program. What's that you're using? It looks like Notepad+?

Yeah, the "Find in Files..." function.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wooper posted:

Grey eminence increases fertility

So does Midas Touched. By more, even.

[EDIT: Which is... interesting. A diplomatic education makes you better at talking people into bed, I guess? But on a stewardship eduction... :tinfoil:. Being good at long-term thinking and management makes you more amenable to popping out heirs for the good of the realm?]

I guess a DIP spouse would help if you're really desperate to get realm diplomacy up, but I don't think I've ever been in a position where I wouldn't still take the demesne bonus.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Man, there are a lot of total conversion mods for this game. Just looking at the mod forum, you got

Game of Thrones
Elder Scrolls
Middle Earth
Dragon Age
Some sci-fi thing
Warhammer Fantasy
The Witcher
World of Darkness
Touhou

...and stuff like Sengoku or the Warring States :psyduck:

Where is it all coming from?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TTBF posted:

Using the beta patch on a save with the bugged Indian religion revolt risks doesn't end them or put a expiration date on them. What's the console command to type to end them?

There won't be a console command to end them specifically. You could fire the event that removes it... which, uh, appears to have disappeared :v:... but that only cleared one province at a time. You'd be better off writing a custom event that just removed the modifier from every province in the world at once. Try this:

code:
character_event = {
	id = Goon.0001
	desc = EVTDESC_Goon_0001
	picture = GFX_evt_bishop
	border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion
	major = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
		name = EVTOPTA_Goon_0001
		any_demesne_province = { remove_province_modifier = religious_unrest }
	}
}
I haven't done much event scripting for CK2, but I think this should fire for every character in the game, when you trigger it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SeaTard posted:

You need to add this to the top of the file:

code:
namespace = Goon
Otherwise it will cause all kinds of problems.

Whoops! :v:

Thanks. Turns out it doesn't work anyway. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jolan posted:

Man, starting in India took a long time. I chose a duke in Delhi and quite easily got my independence, but my first few rulers all died before I could get the 500 karma for a subjugation CB. When I finally DID get one off, it was with a ruler who inherited at 15 and is now nearing 90. And my brilliant plan to marry my female heir matrilineally to the king of, eh, the green blob to the east (who was also set to inherit the other huge kingdom in southern India) failed when my ruler finally knocked out a son at 83 years of age, making him my next heir. So over the centuries, I've been able to holy war-conquer all of Persia, but I only have a grand total of one kingdom title in India so far. And I've got several thousands of karma points that're just doing nothing.

Tl;dr: the Hindu subjugation CB should be useable multiple times per ruler, cost less karma, or there should be better ways than the bi-yearly feast, the trait and random events to get a decent amount of karma together.

And tiger hunts are useless after the first decade of the game, which is a shame because tigers.

Yeah, it's a bitch. Try converting to Smartist and bumping up your majesty tech. If your heirs are born Smartist they'll accumulate a fair wodge of karma just by the time they reach maturity. Educating for other +piety traits (humble?) helps too, as does building cathedrals or whatever for your temple vassals. Oh, and if you're having trouble getting rulers to stick around long enough to do anything, try ultimo?

Once I'd gotten the ball rolling (two or three generations?), I was able to pretty reliably launch subjugation wars within a decade of taking the throne, and I am now, in 1260, completely out of peoples to subjugate. I need to figure out some way of dismantling this Dravidian blob, because forging duchy claims is taking centuries.

It's kind of funny how completely unlike actual history this process is. You look at India in this period, and what you generally see is a guy going from raja of bumfuck nowhere to paramaharajadhiraja of the known universe in the space of one or two generations... and then losing it all a generation or two later. Painstakingly building an empire over the course of four centuries and having it be perfectly stable is so loving weird.

Actually, I think realms are too stable everywhere. Not in the sense of there being too few internal conflicts (plenty of those), but in that they never explode. Once a Kingdom/Empire title is formed, it never disappears. Once a de jure vassal is attached to it, they almost never leave. It leads to strange ahistorical poo poo all over the place.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, regencies can be a problem, but they're definitely manageable and certainly not constant. I have a bigger problem remembering to press claims before my ruler cops it than I do avoiding regencies under ultimo.

Elective would work too, it's just something I tend to avoid because I dislike having to wrangle my vassals. :shrug:

Fuckers are always voting for the wrong guy. :argh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Anticheese posted:

With all this talk of antipopes, does anyone have any good advice for making a heresy stick, and surviving the backlash?

Wait until you have a high diplo ruler with a fat bank and a nice long reign bonus, then convert and demand conversion from your immediate vassals. It should go pretty smoothly, unless you've just given some neighbouring superpower a nice shiny holy war CB to whack you with.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

For the record, I am perfectly happy with my RoI purchase and am really enjoying it. But then I am a big India nut, so. :unsmith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Riso posted:

As a big India nut, maybe you have some ideas regarding a syncretic Norse/Hindu faith and/or Indo-Norse culture?

Ergh, I don't really want to present myself as some sort of authority on the matter. Especially not on something like Hinduism, which is super complex for a number of reasons- not least among which is that it's not and has never been a unified monolithic faith with a central doctrine, but a collection of highly mutable sects in communion with each other. And all the books I have are on modern Hinduism, which is all about this weird metaphysical stuff and doesn't really have a lot to do with the polytheistic thing that most people imagine it to be. (mediaeval brahmanism would have been a lot closer, I think?)

Though, okay, as a thought experiment: if you take a bunch of Vikings and drop them into Indian in the tenth century, I think what you're going to see is the Norse faith absorbed into brahmanism as just another sect- Norse deities will start to be identified with Vishnu and Shiva and the religion will start to take on philosophical concepts like karma and reincarnation. Traffic in the other direction- I don't know if I know enough about Norse paganism- Hollywood pastiche aside- to intelligently comment on this either, but I suspect other direction would be minimal. The problem is that India has a long tradition of philosophy and philosophical debate, and the Vikings don't- any sort of syncretism is going to operate in an Indian philosophical framework because that's the only one available, and that will inevitably throw an Indian bias over the whole process. Plus, you could have dropped the entire population of Scandinavia into the subcontinent at this point (well, any point), and not even notice.

A big problem for Norse rulers integrating into Indian society is that they're going to be mleccha, which means they'll be unclean and have no varna, and if they have no varna then (I think?) they have no dharma, and if they have no dharma then they basically don't exist as far as Hinduism is concerned. On the other hand, vanilla has a decision where you can straight up buy your way into the kshatriya varna, so maybe it shouldn't be that hard to fix? :v:

Sorry, I don't know how useful any of this will be for designing game features. As a apology, have a big long quote from John Keay's India: a History on the nature of religion in the time of the Guptas:

quote:

As between the orthodox and heterodox sects ecumenism was still the norm. The Guptas, although identifying themselves with Lord Vishnu and performing Vedic sacrifices, encouraged endowments to both Buddhist and brahman establishments with even-handed munificence. Yet the physical separation of the two communities, as implied in Fa Hian's account, may be significant. Buddhist monasteries were usually located outside the main centres of population and influence, near enough for collecting alms and instructing the laity but far enough for tranquility and seclusion. The 'brahmacharis', on the other hand, technically brahman students but here implying the whole brahman educational establishment, were now located within the city and close to the court.

Hinduism as a religion with specific doctrines and practices was still unrecognisable. Arguably it still is. The criteria of orthodoxy lay- and lie- in conduct rather than belief. Deference and support to brahmans, acceptance of one's caste, public participation in traditional rituals, festivals and pilgrimages, and the propitiation of familial or local deities remained of the essence. As already noted, concepts like those of dharma, karma and the transmigration of souls, though originally aired in the Upanisads and nowadays considered quintessentially Hindu, had hitherto been more zealously championed by the Buddhists. To the Buddhist practice of erecting and adorning stupas of dressed stone have also been traced the first experiments in stone architecture and in the devotional use of sculptural iconography. Only after achieving remarkable expertise in the portrayal of the Buddha figure and of animal and human, mainly female, figures did the stonemasons of Mathura and elsewhere turn to producing images of the orthodox 'Hindu' pantheon.

How the personae of these deities, especially Vishnu, Shiva and various forms of the mother-goddess, emerged- or converged (for all were composites)- and how they eventually displaced most of the earlier Vedic deities is not well-documented. Vedic sacrifices like the aswamedha remained essential to kingship during and long after the Gupta age, but from about this time onwards 'we do not come across the case of a single individual ascribing his greatness or luck to a Vedic deity'. Personal seals found in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh usually bear the emblems of Shiva or Vishnu, and the inscriptions of nearly all the dynasties of the age protest their devotion to some form of the same two deities. Indeed the convergence of the various Shaiva and Vaishnava personae, as well as their growing popularity, may have been partky the outcome of dominant dynasties like the Guptas co-opting the resources, divine and supernatural as well as political and economic, of their conquered feudatories.

This certainly seems to have been the case with many of the legends, incarnations, consorts and relatives associated with Vishnu, including his identification with Krishna (the Yadava deity) and with Vasudeva and Narayana, all cults which seem to have originated in the Mathura region and western India. In Malwa and central India a more popular Vaishnava cult of the period was that of Vishnu in his Varaha incarnation as a colossal wild boar who, not unlike King Kong, hoists to safety a small and naked nymph representing the earth, The famous fifth-century sculptural representations of this myth at Eran, Udayagiri and elsewhere in eastern Malwa may well celebrate the incorporation of a local boar cult into the Vishnu persona as a result of Chandra-Gupta II's long soujourn in the region while he fought the Satraps.

Whatever their genesis, sanction for this accretion and fusion of cults was provided by the Puranasa and the epics as they were recast, expanded and written down during and after the Guptas. Brahmanic authority was thus gradually accorded to the new composite deities, and the sculptor responded by giving them concrete form. Awesome figures of legend, obscure local deities, and various fertility and tutelary spirits were duly transformed into worshippable images. Their identity with the gods and goddesses of orthodox scripture conferred prestige on them; at the same time it brought them within the brahmanic mainstream of what is now called the 'Great Tradition' of Hinduism.

It remained only to refine the nature of man's relationship to the new generation of deities and to develop forms of worship suitable to it. This process may also have been influenced by Buddhist precedent in that the new relationship assumed a degree of divine proximity and compassion which is not often evident in the Vedas but is fundamental to legends concerning the Buddhist Boddhisatvas. The supplicant's more personalised response, with its emphasis on devotion rather than propitiation, is evident in the famous Bhagavad Gita whose interpolation into the Mahabharata probably dates from the third to fourth centuries A.D. But it was the much later Bhakti movement, drawing its inspiration and fervour from devotional practices in the south of India and Bengal, which would eventually endow Hinduism with its public fervour and and its private intimacy of communion. Though seemingly at odds both with the dangerous business of Vedic ritual and the mind-boggling subtleties of Upanishadic metaphysics, this new devotional emphasis would become the most distinctive and endearing characteristic of what we now call Hinduism.

Instead of 'Hinduism', scholars sometimes use the term 'brahmanism' to distinguish the pre-Bhakti orthodoxies of the post-Vedic era from the teachings of the heterodox sects like the Buddhists and Jains. 'Brahmanism' would have been as meaningless to its supposed adherents as 'Hinduism', but the term does have the advantage of accommodating a variety of orthodox traits, including the authority accorded to the brahman caste, the innumerable cults to which brahmanical acceptance was extended, and the complex philosophical notion of brahman as an impersonal monotheistic entity which, like the Word in Christianity, subsumed all deities, the human soul as well as the divine, and indeed all creation.

quote:

In the Vedas brahma(n) denotes hymn, prayer, sacred word, formulation of truth, substratum etc., ideas that developed later to signify, on the practical level, the title brahman for the person who possessed the qualities conveyed by such ideas, and, on the conceptual level, their abstract summation as the immutable universal principle.

Thus we learn that 'the brahmanas attributed brahma power to the brahmans', an unassailable observations but one of such elliptical import that it deters further enquiry by anyone ignorant of Sanskrit- a category which then as now included most Indians as well as nearly all non-Indians. For as will already be apparent, abstract terms like brahman pose insurmountable problems of translation. Their connotations change over the centuries and their associations, ramifying through the literary canopy like lianas, defy the lexicographer's search for equivalent words in other languages. Dharma ('religion', 'duty', 'order'), artha ('wealth', 'politics', 'motive'), danda ('authority', 'coercion', 'government') and many other such concepts of crucial importance prove no less elusive. Conversely, English words like 'divinity', 'sovereignty', or 'power' have no exact Sanskrit equivalents.

That would be the fifth century, but a lot of it should still be relevant in the CK2 timeframe.

----------

Meanwhile, does anyone with experience modding the map know how well it'll respond if I go crazy with archipelagos? I am making a fantasy mod (I know, I know), and there are islands everywhere. For instance, the files say that provinces that can't be reached from "the continent" by land have to be specially tagged and grouped for pathfinding purposes- how exactly is "the continent" defined? If I have one (and only one) landmass that touches a map edge, is that "the continent"? Is it the biggest landmass? Is it the landmass with the most provinces? If I go mad and tag everything as an island, is that going to break anything?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I'm not any kind of expert on philosophy, but my intuition is that any religious position which says that the dudes who can have you executed at a whim don't matter/exist is probably going to change within that society PDQ.

Yeah, probably. It was just the first thing that came to mind when thinking about cultural problems you'd run into. :v:

Strudel Man posted:

The Jain vassal opinion is in defines.lua.

Also: this goddamn game and hardcoding poo poo, I swear. :argh:

You couldn't just have stuck a vassal_opinion line in religions.txt, huh?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Nightblade posted:

What's the problem with it being in defines.lua?

defines is where all the super inflexible stuff lives. If there's a CDEF_JAIN_VASSAL_OPINION value in there, rather than a vassal_opinion value in the religions file, it means that, rather than looking in the (soft coded and easily accessible to modders) religions file and seeing that there is a Jain religion with the vassal opinion property with such and such a value, it has to already know, in its (hard coded and modder-inaccessible) exe brain, there there is such a thing as a Jain religion with a vassal opinion property and then go looking for the value in the defines file.

Basically, you can't add new propeties to things in defines, only adjust the values that are already there.

Though, if Strudel Man says you could do it in religions anyway then there isn't any functional difference in this case, it's just a really weird way to do it and it makes the code harder to interpret.

Though, I guess we could now have a problem where the game will choke if it can't find the Jain religion in the religion file? The GoT guys should have caught that, if it does.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Does any of this make sense or am I crazy?

No, it makes perfect sense. And they probably shouldn't be conflated. It's not the only trait with this problem, though: Brave seems to include the concept of recklessness. And there's no "cautious" or "wary" trait that isn't Paranoid or Craven, either, and no way to express the concept "I am an introvert" without going full-on "I am scared of other people" (Shy).

Though what really bugs me about the traits in the super lopsided personality traits. Of the 25 traits,, excluding Diligent, Patient, Slothful and Ambitious, which affect everything equally, there are 12 which affect DIP, 10 which affect INT, 4 which affect MAR, 4 which affect STE, and 2 (Arbitrary and Just) which affect LEA.

The general effect of ths is that it's much easier to build a character for DIP or INT then it is any of the other stats- you can hit a higher cap and you can much more easily fill holes.

I don't know if it's affecting balance or whatever, but it is irritating me. :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Patient is the positive cautious/wary trait.

Patience and caution aren't really the same thing, though they are close. Actually, I think I'd fold caution into diligence before patience.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Someone who's 'just' an introvert isn't going to have any trait at all; you only get traits when the situation is so bad that you are outright frightened of other people, and people know that about you, and talk about it.

I'm all for traits representing something taken to an extreme, I just don't think "I don't like talking to people" necessarily implies "I am scared of people" at its extremity. CK1 had an amiable/hostile split which might suit some cases better.

I guess once you start splitting hairs this fine it's going to be very hard to reach a consensus, huh?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Count Mippipopolous posted:

So what exactly is needed to get rid of religious unrest in India? The patch seemed to solve everything else, but my Deccan Empire still has a bunch of angry peasants storming around it. My religious authority is at 75% and Hindus control all the holy sites.

Do I just have to start a new game?

Eventually I just went through the save file manually and stripped it out. Search for religious_unrest and remove the entire enclosing modifier= { } block. Remember to back the save up first.

There were twenty or thirty instances in mine, so it might take a while.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

As for that loss the game handed you with the magyars, I swear the combat RNG is streaky because every so ofter I'll get absolutely massacred during what should have been a cake-walk battle.

Eh. IIRC, CK2's combat engine is much more deterministic than most Paradox games. A flank does damage equal to the sum of each troop type's offence value for that phase multiplied by the number of troops of that type; the damage is then split between the target flank's troop types, weight by troop number, and each type takes one casualty and loses six morale for every 66 2/3 points of damage taken per point of defence in that phase. The RNG never gets a look it.

The random factor comes in the tactic selection, but in order to get a really bad tactic (it's hesitant commander that always fucks me) your commanders need to have bad traits. Sometimes you get a bad match up and lose what should have been a comfortable victory, but I'm not sure it's possible to lose 2 to 1 without severe terrain penalties and/or having bad-trait commanders.

Unless of course your dudes decided to charge into fifteen thousand pikes in Schiltron :getin:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I found where I can change the "absolute cognatic" to allow everyone (I guess just removing the culture=basque will be enough), but I cant find where to chance councilor rules.

Can someone point me to the right file?

common/job_titles.txt

Edit: note that lady marshals will get you lady generals too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If it's in the same OR = { } clause as the is_female = no then that'll allow orthodox realms to have female spymasters, yes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Light Cavalry is pretty high on the list of wonky-rear end units. Your best bet for these guys isn't getting into a big fight, but blitzkrieging your enemies at the start of the war and massacring their levies before they have time to mass. You have to aggressively target smaller units, because when Light Cavalry wins, it wins big. Whereas with a different army comp, you'd probably want to be sitting around, waiting for your superior troops to win one big fight and then just ping-pong the enemy for a while.

Yeah. Just to add a theory perspective to this, the problem with Light Cav is that its strengths lie wholly in the Pursuit phase- which only matter once you have already won the battle. In Melee, the main event and (barring a successful Massive Longbow Volley), the part you actually need to win to get to Pursuit, they're mediocre at best. And they have lovely morale.

You're right about ping-pong with other comps, by the way. With Pike (I love Pike :3:), any low-morale stack just bounces off you. You're actually smarter to wait and let them regroup before finishing broken troops off. Dose battle result screens, though... :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Revoke a city in the province and it should automagically turn into the primary holding. If there isn't one to revoke, you'll have to build one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, hmm, that's a tricky one. You tried save/reload? Or letting it run until the end of the year? It should flip automatically; if it's not then the game's having a brainfart and you'll need to trick it into noticing what's going on. Maybe try giving away the city and then revoking it? You're still a republic, yeah?

Might be able to fix it with save game editing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The difficulty settings don't actually do much, though, do they? It's just a bonus to fertility and morale.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

pwnyXpress posted:

So I tried to find the save file to edit out all the religious unrest modifiers from pre-patch, but I've never done this before. Is it the one in the documents folder? I tried opening that one and it is all gibberish, even though the compress save file option is unchecked.

You're sure that that specific file was saved with compression off? Is it ironman?

Edit: while I'm here, how do people feel about the idea of "hybrid" education traits? As in, educations that would give a moderate bonus to two attributes, rather than one big bonus to one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I wish I could automate raid defence. Being on the receiving end of that poo poo three times a month is exactly as unfun as being the raider is fun. :argh:

Strudel Man posted:

Hell, you shouldn't be able to occupy territory of someone who's only hostile due to raiding. That's not what raiding is, after all. I had always assumed it was impossible.

I could actually see a large series of raids snowballing into a war of conquest- I think it works narratively- but gameplay-wise it's clearly all sorts of broken.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I have played very little of the GoT mod, but maybe the Wall holdings count as temples or something?

e: it sounds like what happens in vanilla if you somehow end up with one of the character types that are npc-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

What Fun posted:

Can someone explain the mechanics of raiding as the Norse to me? I've started as Whiteshirt and conquered England, still have no idea how it works. It only seems to let me activate on my own or my vassal's provinces...I must be really missing something, because I don't quite get why I'd want to steal my own gold. Help please.

Yeah, you can only switch into raiding mode in your own territory- but you won't actually raid your own territory. Once you hit the toggle, you need to walk (or boat) your mans into someone else's land and then they'll start looting it. Province needs to be adjacent to your territory or to a sea zone with your boats in it for you to get the gold, mind.

e:f;b

• Locked thread