Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I found Onett leading up to Paula much easier than when I was a kid. I think it has something to do with not using the slingshot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Nah, better way than the ketchup and salt is taking solo Jeff, saving your Big Bottle Rocket for the first Cave Boy you see, and eating picninc lunches they drop every fight until you don't need them after every match (or go to Dr Andonuts' Lab and use the Instant Revitalization Machine). Then save those up those picnic lunches until you can buy all the better equipment from the Drug Store next to the school. I think I got Jeff up to a higher level than the rest of my party that way, and the solo experience boost really helps.

You can actually get backwards on Tessie?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why would anyone grind for that bat? :psyduck: It was really clear they were just teasing those midgame items.

Did you think like this when you were 10?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Getting mushroomed is the worst.

Stupid controls Ahhhhh

But think of the $50 profit!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Maybe I am just rocking, but I haven't done any grinding because the monster experience has been plenty. The only point that caused a real problem for me was fighting the Onett police force, not including the Captain who was easy.

Also just had a battle where my party was crying and the enemy kept calling for help. The letter notation went through A to H twice before I finished the battle.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Curious, has anyone done a non-bottle rocket run? I feel like the game would be more challenging, at least with bosses.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Starhawk64 posted:

Or that the others are just so weirded out by a man falling from the sky. :v:

But you'd think they would be used to it after the 50th time. Maybe Ness is the only photogenic one, through thick and thin.

Curious, does Ness' ghost do anything if caught in a picture?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Leofish posted:

Is it bad that I still own the SNES cart, and my SNES is still hooked up, and that's why I haven't bought the WiiU version?

If you love the game, buy it again. Or else.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Automatic Jill posted:

This thread has inspired me to restart a project I thought I had abandoned almost three years ago!

As for similar media, the first thing that always comes to my mind is Haruki Murakami's novel Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. It's nothing like Earthbound, on the surface, but I feel like they're somehow cut from the same cloth. The author and Shigesato Itoi are apparently good friends in real life and they even wrote a book of short stories together, so the similarities- though hard to describe- make sense. I read the book before I played the game and they had the same effect on me, even before I found out the two creators knew each other.

My only complaint is that Paula should be PSI Freezing everything. :colbert:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I want to share my appreciation for the Mad Ducks, who do nothing but silence you and drain your PP, yet they're all over that little mini dungeon Jeff goes through by himself.

The Mad Duck made something spin around! :ducksiren:

I actually got poked in the eye by one last night for 8 damage with Jeff, so they potentially do damage...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My latest playthrough has yielded me an insane Jeff: fast, hits as hard as Ness, and IQ gains almost every level. This will make my no bottle rocket run easier.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

triplexpac posted:

I've never thought of doing a no bottle rocket run before... sounds interesting. And hard! I can't imagine getting through the Fourside mall, ugh

I might be changing my tune when I get there... :ohdear:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So Moonside wasn't as horrible as I remembered it, nor the Department Store.

The mole jokes were even funnier as an adult.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you see the Department Store coming, it's not bad at all, you can just Bottle Rocket!

No bottle rocket run. :ssh:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So. Um.

First time against Kraken, used Flash Beta. He instantly died.

I'm not sure anyone will believe me. I don't believe me right now.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Blackheart posted:

Actually, it was the Captain's slippers that hit him in a critical spot.

I knew it, it was too good to be true. The battle was literally...

Jeff used Spy.
Paula used Freeze b.
Ness used Flash b.
Captain used Stinky Slippers.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spiffo posted:

Ha ha ha no, he's loving with you.

Flash Beta has a chance of instant death. You rolled good.

I would have preferred saving that roll for a 1/128 roll...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Sword of Kings farming is the worst. Two Super Bomb teases so far. :smith:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

every time I get it my team ends up being so over leveled that the rest of the game is pie.

I've resorted to savestating with resetting the RNG with pressing B twice after each save. I gotta keep the rest of the game challenging somehow...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spiffo posted:

Fortunately, the dungeon is only three short rooms long. If you can despawn/avoid fights with the mushrooms, you're golden. And of course once the boss goes down everybody runs away from you.

But yeah, it's still a pain in the butt. Plus I don't think they ever incorporate mushroom enemies again, do they? I don't remember ever getting mushroomized past Threed.

The Fourth Sanctuary boss is a giant mushroom.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
No bottle rocket run has been pretty easy overall, and I've grabbed the Sword of Kings, Broken Antenna, and Magic Frying Pan so far. Do I go insane and get three Star Pendants?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just shoot for the Hard Hat, and it makes the rest of the valley pretty easy. Hamburgers and teddy bears are your best friends.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Silver Falcon posted:

In my continuing adventures in Earthbound, I think I accidentally sequence broke a little bit.

I went out on the boat in Scaraba right after getting Poo. Got attacked by the Kraken and uh... I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to be able to beat him yet? He one-shotted nearly everyone else in the party (Ness took two), but Jeff was wearing an accessory that resists fire (I think?). He only took about 5-10 damage. Well, long story short his inventory was full of Big Bottle Rockets and he just fired them at the Kraken until it stopped moving...

And got about 80,000 exp for it. :stare: I'm pretty sure he's almost as high level as Ness at this point. I feel like I cheated... :ohdear:

To be fair, I Flash beta'd Kraken and one-shot him with a level 30 Poo.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Eric the Mauve posted:

^ The Sword of Kings also never misses, so there's that. Compare to the Gutsy Bat, which is awesome but also only obtainable near the end of the final dungeon and thus totally useless for anything but bragging rights.

Here's a neat thing about the search for the Sword of 128. The game checks and decides whether you will receive a present after the battle, and if so which present you will receive, at the moment you touch the enemy and initiate the battle swirl. That means--I have actually done this and some of you probably have too--you can use Spy on a Starman Super and find a Super Bomb, if you're fighting a Starman Super/Atomic Power Robot combo.

This has another extremely important implication: The game first decides which enemy might leave you a present, and then decides based on that enemy's item-dropping probability whether you will actually get said present. This means that if you fight a Starman Super alongside another enemy (Starman or APR) your chances of getting the Sword of Kings from that battle are not 1/128, but 1/256. And if you engage it with two other enemies (possible at the end of the dungeon) it's 1/384.

I got the Sword of Kings hundreds of times as a teenager and young adult--I made it a point to always get the drat thing on every playthrough--and even kept track of how many tries it took to get it. After well over a hundred trials my average was not 1 in 128, but closer to 1 in 170. I always wondered if my luck was really THAT bad. It wasn't.

So if you want that Sword of Kings soon, make it a point to fight Starman Supers alone as much as possible. My favorite spot for hunting for them is right at the beginning of the second part of the dungeon (the first area where Starman Super encounters are possible.)

An easy procedure:
- Savestate such that you isolate a Starman Super (or two) that doesn't move toward you until you are closer.
- After every attempt of spying, reload the savestate, reset the RNG by pressing B twice (opening/closing the status screen), and savestate again.
- Repeat the last step until you get the Sword of Kings.

It takes me about 10 to 30 minutes after figuring this procedure out to get a few othef rare items (Broken antenna, Magic Frying Pan). I've yet to figure out a good way of isolating the mob for Star Pendants, though...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Goodpancakes posted:

So, theoretically, you can save state before a swirl touch with the enemy on the screen and reload, press b twice, and engage? I was unsure if the present is loaded when the game creates the enemy off screen. But swirl touch will make getting that fry pan easier.

Just be sure to press B twice after each fail and savestate, to keep the RNG going.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why weren't you all posting this stuff when I spent two weeks getting my Sword :argh:

So you could suffer like the rest of us pre-"save state" technology? :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Nonbaka posted:

The only item I never got was the Frying Pan, but why would Paula ever attack normally anyways?

It's more for the Guts since it has less attack power than the Holy. More Guts means better chance of surviving a mortal blow.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It absolutely is the same without a reset. Monsters will even follow the exact same battleplan over and over, like it's pre-determined before you encounter them.

It's generating numbers randomly, you just saved that particular string of numbers in your save state. For whatever reason, opening the status window changes it up.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I just settled for one Star Pendant and blasted through Magicant. My only regret was not bringing the Franklin Badge, but I managed to survive.

Goddess Ribbon and Gutsy Bat, you're both mine!

Note: The passageway before Carbon/Diamond Dog includes a Major Psychic Psycho when there's two mobs, so after defeating the boss, it is a great place to farm the pendant(s).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Don't worry, PSI Healing Omega will take care of PTSD. :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

triplexpac posted:

get your heart broken along the way.

Understatement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Srice posted:

All of Duster's tools are incredibly useful. Defense/offense down are insanely good and most bosses are vulnerable to at least one other status debuff he can do. Not using them is just making the game harder for yourself!

This is the truth. It also makes the game a bit more tedious as you spam a bunch of debuffs...

• Locked thread