Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Tsurupettan posted:

Are there any good resources for learning to make minecraft mods? The extent of my programming knowledge is 'I took a college course once' and 'my friend yelled at me for a while about how Java is the best thing ever'. :v:

Havvy's Tutorial gets recommended a lot. You'll learn a lot looking through other mods' source too, like Fruit Chewy recommended, but Havvy's will get you set up with a starting point to work from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Sedisp posted:

I seem to remember the launcher being able to automatically assign new IDs.

Forge can assign new IDs to items and blocks that don't already have one, but it's not bulletproof. It can still assign new IDs to mod 'X' that are actually already in use by mod 'Y' because it hasn't loaded 'Y's IDs yet, and it won't resolve conflicts if you merge together config files with already assigned IDs.

There's the IDResolver mod too, but I'm not sure how well that works.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

fondue posted:

I just spent an hour or so finding the 1.6.x versions of the mods my server will use and now I want to make a modpack for technic .. how does that work in 1.6? I can't find any instructions on how to use technic and 1.6. :(

Unfortunately the launchers aren't quite ready for 1.6 modpacks yet. The way Forge is set up and Minecraft is launched are completely different with 1.6 now, so they still need a bit of time to catch up.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rutibex posted:

Is there even a mod worth upgrading to 1.6 for yet?

I've been fiddling with my own 1.6 setup with a bunch of mods, and...not really. Pretty much most of the mods are just the same as they were in 1.5 but updated to work with 1.6. Maybe a handful of new biomes in Biomes O' Plenty, a few tweaks and fixes here and there, but nothing significant. I think Thaumcraft is supposed to have significant changes for its 1.6 release, but it's not out yet.

The IC2 situation is kind of a pain right now because half the mods have updated to the experimental IC2 API, and the rest haven't, so I can't update a bunch of mods (mainly UE stuff) until everyone's switched over. Yeah, IC2 isn't as essential anymore, but it's familiar and TE hasn't been updated yet.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Yeah, there are certainly enough mods out for 1.6 now that you can put together a set that's fun and playable. It's just not in a good state for mod packs right now since a bunch of mods that people either personally prefer or need for continuity with an older pack (TE, Xycraft, IC2, Thaumcraft, MFR, etc.) are still in transition phases caused by things completely separate from the version change anyway.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So nothings updated for 1.6.4 and the last time I updated was 1.5. Is there anyway to chose what updates I get or do I have to swallow them all weather I like it or not?

A lot of 1.6.2 mods work just fine with 1.6.4, though there are exceptions (e.g., Mystcraft crashes when generating a village, though that's due to other Forge changes), so you can actually do quite a bit with 1.6.4 right now.

In the new launcher, just hit the "Edit Profile" button and you get a lot of options for choosing which version to run. You actually need to do this to pick the right Forge version, since it's installed a completely different way now.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Bond697 posted:

There's something I've been wondering about relating to the new launcher and 1.6. I noticed that in the .Minecraft folder, the "mods" folder is what Forge is using for installed mods, as always. What happens if I want to have 2 different sets of mods? Or if 1.7 comes out and I have an adventure 1.6 pack, an industrial 1.6 pack, and want to play around on 1.7 with Forge mods? Does it turn into a crazy game of renaming folders?

Am I just missing something and there's a way to tell Forge where to look for mods and their configs? I might very well be missing something since I haven;t been keeping up lately. It seems like this will get convoluted very fast if they don't change Forge to use version folders in the mods folder or something.

You can create separate profiles for each of those cases and give each one their own separate .minecraft directory, though it doesn't do that by default. There's a checkbox you have to enable within the profile and then you specify the path you want.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Alkydere posted:

I haven't actually modded anything by hand. I just use the big modpacks. I guess it's time to go hammer this out.

It's a bit different now with the new launcher and so you might find a lot of information on how to do it the old way, but in brief:

1) Get an appropriate version of Forge from here (the 'Recommended-1.6.4' version should be fine). Download the 'installer' package and run that. Let it do a client install to the default location.
2) Start the launcher and create a new profile. In the profile settings, put a check by 'Game Directory' and specify a path where you want your modded version to live (I use something like "D:\Games\Minecraft\1.6.4 Modded\.minecraft"). Also go to the 'Use version:' list and select the one that looks like 'release 1.6.4-Forge9.somethingsomething').
3) Launch it once to make it create all the appropriate directories. You should see all the usual Forge info on the title screen.
4) Under that path you specified earlier, there should now be a 'mods' directory. Dump all the .zip and .jar files for mods you want into that directory. E.g., for Thermal Expansion you need to put two files in here: one for CoFHCore and one for Thermal Expansion itself.
5) Relaunch the game, and hopefully it works! If you're only playing with one or two mods to start with, you shouldn't need to worry about ID conflicts or such.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Saxophone posted:

Is there any way to enable cheating in a single player game that you have marked as no cheating? I probably should have set it to ON when I created the world but alas I did not. I'm running Big Dig and I'd really like to turn on keepInventory.

If you go into LAN mode, it gives you another prompt that lets you turn cheats back on. Cheat mode won't be turned on permanently, but that should be enough to let you change that rule and the rule change should be permanent.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Grey Elephants posted:

What tech oriented pack is everyone using these days? Tekkit doesn't seem to have the newer versions of TE or MFR, and I'd like to try Big Reactors.

Never Stop Toasting should have all of those, and I haven't tried it myself but it's been recommended here before.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
If I remember correctly from the early days of Technic, some of the complaints were along the lines of feeling like the mod pack and its assemblers were getting too much of the credit and the individual modders were getting ignored and forgotten even though they did all the hard work. This is totally different with FTB because

e: beaten

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

m2pt5 posted:

If you're only playing single player, removing mods should never be an issue, unless that mod is a dependency for another mod in the pack.

The one other risk I can think of is that if the pack was configured so that, say, all copper ore spawns were disabled except for mod X's and you remove mod X, you'll wind up with worlds without any copper in them. I seriously doubt NST made Galacticraft the sole provider of any resource like that, though.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

axelsoar posted:

I am trying to get into attack of the B-team, and I can sorta understand leaving AE out of a pack but what on earth leads someone to think not including treecapitator or inventory tweaks is a good idea.

GenerikB was talking about that in today's episode since people were asking him about treecapitator, and showed that you can at least use the Lumber Axe from Tinkers Construct for the same effect (though a bit more effort to make).

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I was going to say that RotaryCraft was nice for an easy 5x ore production method, but remembered I'm a few versions behind on it and it looks like the magnetostatic engine has been nerfed in the most recent versions. Used to be that you just needed RF power, a magnetostatic engine, and a bevel gear to drive the extractor, but now it doesn't produce enough torque on its own.

I don't really mind spergy stuff like Gregtech if it's something that can be treated like optional 'endgame' stuff to tinker with when I'm bored of everything else, but Rotarycraft still makes my head spin whenever I try to read its manual.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
'morph' is in the stack trace and it looks like it's trying to load NBT data from a compressed file, so my guess is that the corruption is in one of the data files containing the info on which morphs a player has unlocked. I'm not sure where that's stored though; look for something like morph.dat and try renaming it.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Schmerm posted:

Start with an unmodified Forge. Install all your mods one by one into the mods/ folder. Then you see if you can start a single-player game without any block/item ID conflicts. This rarely ever happened to me, but maybe I just got lucky. If there are, Forge will give you a nice file showing the conflicting IDs and suggests empty ranges of unused ID blocks to remap to.

The ID conflicts are resolved by editing the mods' config files (in the config/ folder) and changing the default values for block/item ID assignments. Sometimes you just need to change one number, and all the blocks/items will automatically follow sequentially from that.

It's actually changed with 1.7 so that IDs are no longer assigned in the config files. Instead mods just register their stuff by name ("oreCopper" and such) and IDs aren't assigned until you generate a world (or load a world with a new mod for the first time), and are stored along with the world. In theory, this should mean an end to ID conflicts since Forge now has enough information to choose values without conflicts, and you could load someone else's world without having to worry about their ID assignments.

On the downside it does mean values can be scattered all over the place (NEI now groups items by mod instead of sorting by ID to help alleviate that) and it's harder to manually force specific values, but it should still be a big improvement.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The main problem I've had with the Yogscast Complete pack is crashes from the Better Dungeons/Chocolate Craft mod while wandering around, sometimes to the point where I can't even reload without it immediately crashing, and since I like to explore, it's happened a handful of times now. Now I make sure I make a backup of my player file before I head out for any long-range exploration, so if it happens again I can just restore that file and reappear back home.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Hagop posted:

Whats up with NEI in progress, I can't seem to get it into utility mode

You've probably got NEI in 'Global' mode, and you have to switch it into 'World' mode to make any of your option changes actually affect your currently loaded game. It confused me for a while, too.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
No alloys for Astral Silver, but it's one of the three metals that can be turned into dust for powering an Abstractor. That's about its only real use, from what I can tell.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

CrazyTolradi posted:

Never been a fan of Sphax personally, but I do agree with you on the name change angle. Weren't they looking to implement that in 1.8?
They've been laying the groundwork for it in 1.8, and the game itself is pretty name-independent now (everything's based off UUIDs instead), so I think at this point the rest of the work needed is on Mojang's server side (having an area in your account management page for it on the web site, etc.), so they could potentially still finish it off in 1.8.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The one thing I really liked from Dartcraft was the healing torches, to keep my villagers from suiciding (seriously, I'd toddler-proofed every last square block of a nearby village and they still managed to find ways to injure themselves somehow). There are probably other ways to take care of that now, though.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Humans Among Us posted:

Get all your TC related poo poo in Twilight Forest?>

Question for people playing yogspack complete... did you manage to find any melons? I want to make magnum torches but the jungle doesn't seem to have melon and ive been thru a bunch of TF mazes/hollow hills with a hundred chests, but still no dice.
I can't remember if I found any natural melons, but I'm pretty sure I found a ton of them in those 'office tower'-style dungeons you find out in the oceans.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Vib Rib posted:

Also, I know this question comes up every few weeks, but what are the top modpacks these days? I see Yogscast Complete coming up a lot but from what I can tell that's still on MC 1.6.4, and looks to be just a mash of everything and the kitchen sink. What else is popular, and ideally up to date?

There don't really seem to be a lot of solid mod packs based on 1.7.10 yet, though some are in early testing now. The main ones I know of are our own mechaet's Modderation, the DNS Techpack (on ATLauncher), and the just-released Crack Pack (also on ATL).

I don't know much about DNS. Crack Pack currently has more mods than Modderation and is a bit more up-to-date, and seems to be focused more on exploration (e.g., more biome and creature mods), but I think I still prefer Modderation for now since it has a handful of mods I've come to rely on in my current game (ExtraCells, Mekanism, the Warp Book, no Metallurgy) that CrackPack doesn't have.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Echophonic posted:

How do you import existing instances to MultiMC? I was going to backup my tweaked Progress setup to it and try out the new one, but I can't seem to get it to work.

It's been a while since I last did it, but I think all I had to do was first create an instance with the right version of Minecraft and Forge in the MultiMC GUI, then find the instance directory under the MultiMC directory and copy all the files from the instance that I'm trying to import. There may or may not be a 'minecraft' or '.minecraft' directory in there depending on where you're importing from, but basically the 'mods' directory from the original instance should wind up under '<MultiMC directory>\instances\<instance name>\minecraft\mods', for example.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

SugarAddict posted:

I can not get AT Launcher to download modpacks, seems to run fine though.
Seems minecraft website is down or something?

If you're using an older version, I think you have to manually download the latest version and use it. They changed hosts recently for the launcher files and older versions try to get their files from the old host and fail.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The Bukkit/Cauldron/etc. situation is a bit muddy right now, but one alternative is to use ForgeEssentials, which gives you most of the Bukkit-like commands you'd probably want but only needs a plain Forge server.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

greententacle posted:

I let modderation update, I get a crash to desktop if I play my old save. Starting a new world works.

I'm also crashing after updating, and it looks like it's continued bad behaviour between Ender IO conduits and Mekanism machines. Even in a brand-new world, if you put down a Mekanism machine and connect a conduit to it, crash.
code:
[B#211]  [14:43:11] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
[B#211]  java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Class mekanism.common.tile.TileEntityCrusher does not implement the
          requested interface cofh.api.energy.IEnergyReceiver
[B#211]     at crazypants.enderio.power.EnergyReceiverPI.canConduitConnect(EnergyReceiverPI.java:22) ~[EnergyReceiverPI.class:?]
[B#211]     at crazypants.enderio.conduit.power.PowerConduit.canConnectToExternal(PowerConduit.java:424) ~[PowerConduit.class:?]
[B#211]     at crazypants.enderio.conduit.AbstractConduit.onAddedToBundle(AbstractConduit.java:471) ~[AbstractConduit.class:?]
etc...

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

greententacle posted:

When I try to load my saves in Modderation, I get the following error:

There are five unassigned blocks & items in this save. You will not be able to load until they are present again.
OpenComputers:Raid (listed twice)
OpenComputers:microcontroller (listed twice)
openComputers:eeprom

I was getting that too. I managed to fix it by loading level.dat in an NBT editor, searching for those values, and deleting the K: and V: tags it finds associated with them.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

greententacle posted:

Can I get some more help with this? I got my level.dat in NBTExplorer.

(Edit: Couldn't hurt to make a backup copy of your save first, too.) Click on the top 'level.dat' node in the tree (you have to do this each time to tell it where to start searching), press Ctrl-F to search, and enter the name you're looking for as the Value to search for, with its checkbox on.

It should find an entry that looks like this (the V: number will probably be different but that's okay):

Click on the parent '2 entries' node just above where it was found and click on the red 'X' in the toolbar to delete that node. Repeat for each of the names it was complaining about (you'll have to search twice for two of them to find all of them). Save, and it should be able to load the world now.

Halibut Barn fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 24, 2015

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
If it's terrain generation lag, make sure you're using Forge build 1272 or above, as that's when an important performance fix for world gen went in.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress. I think I accidentally made the world I've been using without actually having the BOP worldgen enabled, that's why. So there's no fixing it, I guess. I was fooled into thinking BOP was enabled in the overworld because of underground biomes, fruit trees, etc. spawning on Extreme Hills biomes and having the biomes be so huge I didn't really notice there weren't more than the standard ones. drat it. No world editing tool then, I take it?

You could probably use an NBT editing tool to enable BoP worldgen in your existing world and then new terrain from then on would use BoP biomes, but you'd almost certainly get the cliff-face discontinuities between old and new terrain.

(If you want to try it anyway, use something like NBTExplorer to open level.dat, open the Data node, and set the 'generatorName' value to BIOMESOP)

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

HiKaizer posted:

I would like to amend my previous statement;

I still have no idea how the gently caress the new whitelist files work.

I'm pretty sure that if you delete the .json version and create a .txt version (just remember that unlike the json version it's "white-list.txt", with the dash), it'll convert it to the .json version when it starts.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

central dogma posted:

Same issue. This pack sounds like it's right up my alley too . I got the modpack started after deleting enhanced portals, technomancy, and Ars magica. Would really like AM in this though.

I was also running into this and I'm pretty sure it's Technomancy that was the problem, and I haven't had it reoccur after updating it to 0.9.0, even with AM2 still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Blind Duke posted:

Is Journeymap still the only ingame minimap where you can open up a large map of all the land you have explored

because I remember literally every other one just being a minimap of the surroundings in the top right corner

mapwriter (part of Opis now) will do that too, but it's kinda clunky in a lot of other ways. It doesn't have visible beacons in the main view, the system for grouping waypoints is awkward (they often wound up in the wrong one for me, you have to rotate through groups), anything you uncovered in a play session gets lost if the client crashes, and so on. JourneyMap is the one I prefer by far now.

• Locked thread