Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like I am duty bound to post that it is absolutely criminal that after Lords of Shadow became a thing they dumped Igarashi onto Otomedius Excellent.

I mean, I like just about every drat game in the series for different reasons, and it seems like an absolute shame that he got dumped on Kinect and Pedobait garbage after making several stellar Castlevania titles, even if people were starting to get a little tired of Metroidvania. I know the man used to work on Gradius but god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cyra posted:

Is Curse of Darkness worth picking up? I think it's available off of PSN now. Where does it rate on the scale of metroidvania to beat-em up? I haven't played any of the 3D castlevanias before, but I prefer the SotN style offerings to that of traditional NES vania or God of War clones.

Lament of Innocence is the one on the store, but Curse of Darkness is like if they padded the poo poo out of the environments of LoI and then tried to placate people by adding in a leveling system and then some sort of slightly more advanced familiar system from SotN.

It's not bad it just comes off as incredibly boring. Also I remember half the weapons being too slow as to be useless.

Soundtrack's good, though it's Castlevania so that's a given.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Anyone play Rogue Legacy? The gameplay feels very castlevania inspired.

I tried it but it did nothing to change my opinion of roguelikes (or roguelites or whatever the hell you want to call it).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The worst thing about the Lords of Shadow series is them using ancient memes. I'm almost certain LoS2 will throw in Maddox somewhere.

It's a part of why playing Guacamelee was excruciating.

But I think that's the only blatant reference to anything that I noticed in Mirror of Fate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

One thing that I didn’t remember (and maybe this is because I used the LUCK cheat code) is the weird enemy damage disparity. poo poo would either do 1 damage or a fourth of your health it seemed.

Luck mode lowers your stats and your starting HP, but because you have insanely large luck you do critical hits more often.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Anatharon posted:

That actually makes me think. What would you (You in the general sense) do for Castlevania these days?

Give the next one to either From Software or Platinum. If they're going the spectacle fighter route, they need to go whole hog. If they're going with the slow, plodding nature of Classicvania then not-Demons Souls with Dracula would be pretty awesome.

Or try IGA again. It's not like he's busy these days.

I do really like the Lords of Shadow games, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

It's true that Super Metroid will always be awesome, but if more Metroid games come out and they're all terrible poo poo then eventually the franchise itself loses value as fans become wary of it. It's a lot harder to convince a publisher to fund a game in a non-AAA franchise if even the hardcore fans of the franchise lose faith in it. I'm sure someone out there has a great idea for a 3D Castlevania, but it's not MercurySteam and the more mediocre games they put out, the less likely it is that a really good 3D Castlevania will ever exist.

You know MercurySteam has said multiple times that they're out after LoS2, right? Worrying about what they'll do in the future is kind of pointless, as unless they pull a Kojima what they do in the future is not Castlevania.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

CV64 was very playable, it is probably one of my favorite Castlevanias. I really liked that game. It oozed atmosphere. But gently caress that magical nitro section.

Yeah, I went back and played through Legacy of Darkness last week and was kinda surprised at how good it actually was. That clocktower stage is fun as poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Does anyone know if there any of those composite images showing an entire stage/area around the internet for any CV games? Like the kind of you see in strategy guides sometimes. I get a huge kick out of those, and the Castlevania games have some great backgrounds.

http://www.vgmaps.com/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't ignore any of the DS titles. Play them all in release order. All three are fantastic and people are just nitpicking.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Apparently Circle of the Moon had a twin Zombie Dragon boss. All I remember is entering a very dark room and being in pain for about 15 minutes.

Years later I would learn the truth.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Really? I liked it. Beat it but not AoS or CotM. It wasn't the bast by far but it was okay. I'm assuming this is typical goon hyperbole?

Yeah, it just has a really bad reception because the music sounds like some bastard-child between the NES and the Genesis/Mega Drive, and the art looks bad because it was designed to be played on an original GBA with its lack of a backlight.

It's still good, there are just many better, even on the same system.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dresh posted:

Has anyone had any luck preordering the special edition for LoS 2 yet? I've tried twice so far, the second time at the beginning of this month, and GameStop didn't have it as an option in their system at all yet.

I wasn't even aware there was going to be a special edition. Did they just announce it on Twitter/Facebook or something and never get it up anywhere?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The good news, though, is that you can turn off QTEs in the menu!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So far the parts of LoS2 that take place in the past with you just going through your castle are pretty cool. I've fought a golem and the gorgon sisters so far and that's pretty rad.

The parts in the future where you are changing into a rat and platforming over electrified water and throwing bats at grenade-launching mooks to stealth by because they can kill you in one hit and you're not able to attack are incredibly stupid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Full Battle Rattle posted:

in case you guys missed the news, the development of LoS2 was a mess. one guy has anonymously posted how awful and lovely it was, and specifically mentioned the shoehorned in stealth sections.

Got a link? I'd love to read about it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This post has some of the allegations.

Well poo poo, for some reason I didn't bother looking for a topic for LoS2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, poo poo. Saturday was IGA's last day at Konami.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/17/castlevania-producer-koji-igarashi-left-konami/

Really hoping this will turn into another Mighty No. 9 situation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Curse of Darkness was somehow lacking in content and also bloated to poo poo.

Large, barren areas that you had to go through to get to other parts of the castle because teleporters were sparse, grinding with weapon types to get specific IDs, getting specific IDs to get to certain (albeit optional) areas, just a bunch of boring padding.

It didn't help that half the weapon types were slow enough so as to be useless or at least not as good as just using the fast ones.

Music was fantastic though.

What the gently caress was with the chairs, though? At least Juste was building up a sweet bachelor's pad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I coulda sworn that game was on PS3 as a PS2 classic.

Nah, only LoI.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't think I've heard anyone say LoI was better or preferable than Curse of Darkness.

I'll be that weirdo.

I liked the fact that you could start in whatever wing you wanted, even if it was dumb to go to some areas first.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

What's with all the random one-off ranged attack items in SotN? They mostly seem kind of crap.

You can get an item after beating the game that lets you use an infinite amount of "use" items that makes them totally broken later on.

They'd probably have more utility if the game wasn't balls easy as they're fun to throw around in gimmicky runs, but I don't think when I was playing the game new that I ever used them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Didn't Konami recently lower the base price a month or two ago, or was that only for the console versions?

I didn't even pay that much when it came out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly they could have shaved out all the modern environments and had a great (though relatively short) game. Every problem I have with LoS2 comes from that side of the game.

Like, I even sort of liked the stealth segment with the lord of the wood guy (even if the pretense of getting into that segment is INCREDIBLY stupid), but the modern grenade soldiers were just dumb as poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Too bad Infinity blade makes the developers a billion times more money.

All I want is a drat Steam port of the first game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, I never got a chance to play it either. Is it even up on the Xbox store thingy anymore?

It's still there according to the xbox.com website.

I got a chance to play it but my 360 died (what a surprise) and I'm not buying another one of those shitbuckets for just three games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

After playing it I don't really understand all of the hate that Mirror of Fate gets. The combat was clunky but it just makes it to be a more mediocre games than a flat out bad one. I thought it was alright. Somewhere around CV64 or LoI.

It had a really bad demo that started you 2/3 or the way into the game and which ran shittier than the retail game (which didn't run much better). The fact that they had ports ready makes it seem like it was just lazily downported to the 3DS without much consideration for how it would run.

The combat didn't translate well to being on a 2D plane either, the ranged attack pretty much let you hit everyone on screen, which meant people went to those moves (that do less damage than just a direct attack) and that made it take longer to deal with the limp-dicked encounters.

I mean, I'd still say it's mediocre more than outright bad, but I can see what people hated about it. The notion that it plays more like a lame Prince of Persia game than a Metroidvania probably didn't help matters.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only reason the SNES Dracula X sucked was because the US got it instead of the original game back in the day. Now that you can easily get both there's no need to hold anything against it. It's just an alternate version of Rondo of Blood with different stages.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you trying to tell me the final Dracula fight in Dracula X is actually fun.

It's not nearly as bad as people remember.

I had horrid memories of that fight until I replayed the game last year, and he is loving easy to trivialize with axes. Sure if you're standing in the wrong spot one hit is almost guaranteed death but there ARE right spots.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Former Human posted:

Boring generic level design, worse bosses, no Maria, different item crashes, fewer stages, lovely Dracula... yeah that's an "alternate version" I guess?

If you're being overly critical, sure. But you're still comparing it against the original instead of it being it's own thing, where there are definitely worse Castlevanias. Not living up to Rondo of Blood does not make it unique, since many don't.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They also took the really really badly aged 3D cutscenes out of the 360 version, presumably for space reasons back when XBLA titles could only be so large.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Also holy gently caress lookit this poo poo this owns:
http://mudron.bigcartel.com/product/nes-castlevania-map-color

My wallet really wishes you hadn't linked that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mrEkli posted:

I just felt I was "cheating" the game focusing so much on exploits playing through the game. Not used to being forced to (although other games had their share) resorting to such play tactics in a Castlevania game.

Cheating Ecclesia involves dual-wielding Nitesco glyphs with Death Rings on each accessory. You are not cheating Ecclesia.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Counterpoint: continually switching glyphs is obnoxious and unfun and making the acquisition of glyphs that can be the difference between a piddly enemy requiring several hits or one a matter of chance is itself a kindof grinding.

Maybe, but since Ecclesia gave you glyph sleeves to work with it's trivial to put blunt weapons in one slot, slashing weapons in another, and then magic in the last. Any weapon switching outside of that falls into the same stuff the other metroidvanias do (switching when you get a flat out upgrade, trying out new weapons, etc).

Plus there were enemies that 100% dropped glyphs by means of using them and they tended to be the best ones (case in point, Nitesco).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like Lament of Innocence because you can start in whatever area you want, the music owns, the areas aren't as bloated as in Curse of Darkness, the bosses are really fun (especially the secret one), the hallways aren't terribly interesting but all the unique rooms are cool, etc. Definitely something I didn't appreciate when it came out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazon sellers aren't really any less likely to send out bootlegs than eBay I don't think. It being 'new' actually makes it even more suspicious.

While true, what he linked is straight up from Amazon. Not a seller, not just "fulfilled by Amazon", ships and sold by them, too. I can't imagine Amazon itself would screw you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

God of War was just a Rygar clone, anyway.

Rygar was so loving good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The secrets and backtracking are again an idea where they had an okay idea (Metroidvania in a city!) but the level design made it an absolute chore to try backtracking for genuinely uninteresting items.

It becomes really dumb when you realize they gave Alucard an ability to teleport over vast ranges onto climbable poo poo and it would have made backtracking in the main game so much simpler if Drac ever got it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Technically, you can play as Axe Armor in Symphony of the Night as well, though it's more of a joke than an actual gameplay mode. I don't even know if you can actually finish it.

Not without unequipping it all the time. The jump is hilariously pathetic, you wouldn't be able to make it out of the third room, and it has no powers or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, outside of the NES games and the one GB one on there. And you don't want the GB one.