Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I work for a smallish non-profit as an accountant, but made the mistake of mentioning that I build my own computers at home. Suddenly I became the organizations tech guru. Over the past two years I've replaced 35 XP workstations with new Win 7 hardware, built 2 brand new security DVR systems and a new win 2012 server to replace our ailing SBS 2003 server. I also somehow successfully migrated the Exchange 2003 server that was part of SBS and corrupting mailboxes left and right to a new Exchange 2010 install which has (knock on wood) been stable for six months now. I have had no formal sysadmin experience or training before this job, so I attribute much of my ability to do the job to Google and stuff I've picked up from this thread.

I've been reading this thread (and it's predecessor) from the beginning over the last couple years. I'm still only up to page 550, but I just had to post because...

A Sticky Note came in!

quote:

"Emergency!!!
Please fix Admin Printer!
Paper Jam Can't be cleared!!
Nothing will print!!
Need to fix ASAP!!"

The printer in question is a Lanier MP C3002 that we rarely if ever have had a problem with, and that we have a service contract on. If there is a problem we're supposed to call the printer tech using the number posted on the printer rather than trying to fix it ourselves. I walk over anyway to take a look before calling. Sure enough there's an error message on the screen:

quote:

Please put 8 1/2" by 11" paper into tray #3

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
A ticket went out:

I got a notification last night that one of our critical scheduled backup jobs failed to start. Ok, no problem. Let me fire up LogMeIn and go see what happened. Nope not happening.

LogMeIn has contracted a case of security insecurity. They apparently reset all their users passwords to be "proactive" after "high profile breaches" of social media sites. Unfortunately their reset process requires that you have access to the email address used to create the LogMeIn account. I don't. The original address I used to create my account was tied to my old ISP and was taken out of service when I switched. So I submit a ticket to have my email address changed. After an hour of waiting and getting no response I give their support line a call. They answer the phone immediately, but can't change my email address to anything else without a signed letter on company letterhead adequately explaining the need for the change. Even after receiving said documentation it can take up to 48 hours to process the change. He then told me that I really should just "reactivate the original address".

At this point I thanked the poor help-desk monkey for making my life a living hell (sorry, I was pissed and I know it's not his fault, it was more for the quality control people if they happen to listen to the call) hung up the phone before he could respond and drove in to work at 1am (which required waking up the facilities manager to let me in the building) to restart a god drat script that should have been a 30 second task.

Needless to say I am in the market for a new remote access solution. What do you folks use these days?

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 12, 2016

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Gerdalti posted:

To add to this, you shouldn't be using an ISP generated email address for anything, like ever. ISP's go like the wind. Use your company email address for company things.

To clarify, I used LogMeIn to get to my workstation, from there I RDP to the server, and my LogMeIn account is/was a personal account (used to be free, kept it and went Pro when they removed the free option), not connected to my employer.

I work for a not-for-profit, we don't exactly have a lot of resources at our disposal.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Medical is on the ballot in North Dakota, and that's historically been a very red state.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Renegret posted:

There's also the service provider's end of all this.

The whole reason providers can offer 100mbps to residential customers is because they never actually use it. The second that node starts getting contention, somebody is going to look at it, find a single bandwidth hog, then invoke some fine print in the terms of service and throttle your service to hell and back.

e: I'm just speaking generally because I know next to nothing about AT&T specifically

This is certainly not the case with cable companies in my neck of the woods. I'm paying $60 a month for 50mbps cable service and getting drat close to 100mbps last time I checked it. What's more, both cable companies that serve my area (CableOne and Midcontinent) are spending money on infrastructure for gigabit residential service. That just makes the fact that we're paying over $100 a month for 10/2 fiber at work seem a bit dumb, especially since we don't have a reason to care about 99.999% uptime or SLAs. We're a museum, we don't grind to a halt and lose big $$ if the internet happens to be down.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Oh lovely.

Got back from lunch to see a notification from my file server. A raid 10 array has become degraded. I log in to MSM and one of the disks is completely missing. It doesn't show up at all, so I can't gracefully remove it from the array. Here's hoping that none of the other drives fail before the end of the day when I can offline the server, and that I can just swap in a good drive and rebuild without a fuss. Else it is going to be a very long day and there will be much drinking tonight tomorrow.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

If the drives are hot-swap, which most are in a server, you can just yank it out without telling the controller you are going to do it. Please verify that the drives and controller are hot-swap before you do this.

I believe the LSI 2008 controller integrated on this board is hot-swap capable, but I'm not going to risk it. Mainly because I don't know which physical drive it is when I'm standing in front of the server. There are no serial numbers on the drive trays and none of the leds are off. My plan is to power down the server and pull each of the drives one at a time until I identify the missing serial number, swap the drive with the new one sitting on my desk, power it back on and pray.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think from what he says the raid controller has totally lost the disk, but the lights on it are still lit.

Could work if you flash every LED and find the one not blinking in unison.

This.

According to the controller there were only 3 disks attached to it. According to the drive bay all four disks were online.

It only took about 5 minutes for me to pull the drives, label the bays and swap the bad drive. The controller played nice on boot, identified the new drive as being a replacement and started rebuilding the array without any further intervention on my part. I really couldn't have asked for it to go any better.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
If I could choose my hold music I would use some version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFM7f1ErZo

Right now we have nothing.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Are fibre circuits with real SLAs prohibitively expensive stateside, or are the build costs what push it out of the realm of affordability? Is it just a case of people wanting to pay as little as they can get away with?

I'm actually pushing to get us off of our fiber connection and onto one of the local cable plans. We're currently paying $100 a month for a 10/2 fiber connection. Unfortunately this is not quite enough bandwidth for what we are wanting to use it for, and they are not willing to cut us any kind of price break but instead will charge us through the nose for upgrading. We're not a commercial business, we're a NPO and don't particularly care if the internet has 99.999% reliability.

We have two cable options in the area, CableOne and a smaller regional company, both of which I've used for residential service in the past and been quite happy with. Both of them are currently (or soon will be) offering up to 1 Gigabit service for residential customers. I expect that same $100 we're paying for 10/2 fiber could get us at least 30-40Mbps with business class cable.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

orange-white, orange. green-n-white, blue. blue-n-white, green. brownin-white, brown.

These words have rolled through my head probably 20 thousand times.

orange-stripe, orange, green-stripe, blue, blue-stripe, green, brown-stripe, brown, *clip* *crimp* I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the routine. I could probably do it in my sleep.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

SEKCobra posted:

But you have to specify a mailbox in there, so it's hard to find things that are gone wrong.

The Tracking Log Explorer in the Exchange toolbox allows you to search by all sorts of criteria including server responses

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah... What? How is something that queries the timekeeper server for the time and then writes it to a database even remotely difficult?

On the surface it is an insanely simple concept. In the real world however time tracking is a very complex system and all parts have to work flawlessly all the time as it directly impacts peoples pay. Sure you start with the basics, employee logs in, write the time to a database. But then you start adding layers to make up for the curse of humanity:

You need a system to note and flag missed punches
You need a system to allow a supervisor to edit the punch time if John stopped by the post office to pick up a package for the office on his way to work
Because of the above the system now needs company hierarchy so it knows who John's supervisor is.
Also we are now editing punch times so you need a system to track and log who changed a punch, when and why
Due to state laws you need systems to track and flag things like a lunch break that was less than 30 minutes (In my state employers are required to pay for lunch breaks less than 30min long)

Then you get in to the different needs of different companies, like company A rounding to the nearest 15 minutes while company B uses actual punch time and company C rounds to the nearest 5 minutes.
Add to that company D that wants the system to flag if an employee is more than 15 minutes late for a shift, which means your time system now has to handle scheduling as well.

We're currently installing a new cloud-based system, I'm just glad I'm not the one programming it.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I owe someone in this thread a case of beer or bottle of the good stuff.

We got hit with a Locky variant late yesterday. It came in the form of an email supposedly from FedEx saying a package had been delivered and to open the attachment for details. Well, one of the college kids we have working in reception did just that. Fortunately I had set up file screening on our file server per a suggestion earlier in this thread (might have even been the previous one) and it slammed the door hard on Locky's attempt to encrypt the shares.

All told I only have one laptop to flatten and reinstall and two files to restore to the file server from backup.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

nexxai posted:

Are you talking about https://fsrm.experiant.ca If so, that was me and I'm glad it helped!

Yes, that's the one. Thank you again!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My roommate is a network engineer and got his own personal laptop hit with that because he had JUST sent a certified FedEx express package with his documentation to bring his wife to the states.

He had to do some ridiculous stuff to unencrypt everything. Something about comparing an encrypted and unencrypted file.

Yeah it looks like it's actually a variant called Nemucod that was released earlier this year. It only encrypts the first 2048 bytes of the file making it fairly easy to decrypt if you have a good copy of an encrypted file in a backup somewhere. Basically there's a tool that compares the two files and constructs a decryption key.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

flosofl posted:

Well, if it's a captive portal it didn't fail connecting to the WLAN. It failed on authenticating to the captive portal so it can communicate to anything other than the captive portal. But the WLAN part was working correctly.

But yes, typically if you can't connect to a WLAN most phones (including iPhone) will fail back the carrier network.

As flosofl said, the phone is connecting to the WLAN just fine, which overrides the carrier network for all web communication. The only solutions I know of to force the phone to use LTE are for the user to "forget" the WLAN network and never allow the phone to connect to it, or turn off wifi completely.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

NeuralSpark posted:

I don't know if WiFI Assist will kick in if there's a strong wifi signal. In my experience it seems to be primarily keyed off the wifi signal strength. Both iOS and macOS have "captiveagent" that will attempt to load "http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html" and, failing that, should pop up a modal Safari page to show the portal's login. It will continue to try to load that URL in the background for some number of retries, and (on iOS) then fail back to the cell carrier.

My experience, which granted is a few iOS versions out of date, has been that this agent only runs on the first ever successful attempt to connect to a WLAN. Subsequent logins to the now remembered network do not trigger the connectivity test because it has already been passed. I've either had to remember myself to load a page in Safari to force authentication or disable connectivity to the network to force LTE usage.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

There is no compatibility mode needed 32bit just runs natively on a 64bit OS. Most software is still 32bit. The real problem is 32bit natively runs 16bit which 64bit does not.

While this is true, a lot of software designed in the Win 95/98/early XP era comes packaged with 16-bit installers. The software may run fine, but good luck getting it properly installed on a 64bit system without a fight.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

nexxai posted:

You should at the very least be installing the FSRM role on any Windows file server and using a list (shameless plug) like ours (which is totally free to access and use) to protect against ransomware.

I second this.

Saved my rear end a few months ago. Well worth the very few minutes it takes to set up.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Trastion posted:

Whats the go to now for remote helping software? I need something that will be easy to setup on a machine and not have to mess with firewalls or anything.

I need to do sum remote work on a server but the person at the site isn't very tech savvy so i want something I can say click this link to download/install and give me a number so i can then connect and control the system.

I know there was issues with team viewer and last time I used join.me there was a bunch of stuff you had to do to get it to work right.

It would be ideal if this could stay installed and running for a few days or at minimum be easy for someone to run it and give me the connection id or whatever when I need to get in again.

VVVVVV-- Sorry forgot to mention that Free is going to be the key thing here.

It kills me to say it, but I still have to allow Teamviewer on my network. It's the only service our HVAC people can manage to use, and being a museum, climate control is critically important, especially humidity control. It's the one system that has to run no matter what, and if there's a problem the vendor has to be able to access the system and fix it right the hell now or we risk losing assets.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Better than having your entire building management system that runs in Java on an XP box exposed to the world via port 80.

That what we had for our HVAC system up until a year ago.

XP Service Pack 2

Running Java 5

Port 80 exposed, easy to guess username & password

So yeah, Teamviewer is technically an upgrade :suicide:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

Anyone actually know if the verbal trumps what's on the paper that was submitted and the one that was signed (both correct) vs what they had printed and spoken out loud?

IANAL but from what I remember from my Contract Law courses, the verbal agreement can be considered binding if both parties agree to it and abide by it. If it goes to court however the judge cannot accept verbal agreements as evidence and will fall back to what's on the written agreement.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

pixaal posted:

I too love it. All I've ever gotten are false positives but it's really nice. I don't lose sleep worrying about it but I really don't want to spend a weekend fixing a massive mess, or possibly lose my job because it would take several days to recover, if not from an over reaction than to the company going under. We have VMs but nothing in place to leverage them in backup everything is still file level and on the "to purchase" list and keeps getting promised. Management thinks they are okay with losing a day of work but It would be a nightmare and probably actually be 2-3 days of effective time lost. 1 because the backup would be the previous day, 2 to get everything back and running normal and another for users to figure out what is missing and re-enter data. stuff would still get missed by users because they already did that! It'd be a poo poo show.

I have CYA but you know it only does you so much good after explaining that you need this and someone signing off on it. I feel with this it's very likely to be mitigated enough to just having to wipe a users machine and hopefully not nail the file server or at least only a single share. It really depends how wipe spread something would get. A true 0 day SMB exploit that doesn't have a patch could be a true nightmare as it could spread to pretty much every server and a full rebuild just isn't something I want to do. I'd much rather have someone call me and tell me they can't write to a folder and it turns out a file they have with a random name just happens to have triggered the filter and locked them out. At least I know it works!

I get a few false positives too, usually 1 every couple months. I'll gladly live with that though, the frsm list saved my rear end last year.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Lynxifer posted:

How do you deal with the false positives, do you just restore access and move on? In our situation we have one or two specific files that were flagging, so I modified the setup script so we can supply our own second JSON feed to allow for inserting them.

In my case it's usually triggered by a bad date format in the file name followed by some combination of letters contained in the filter list, making the entire file name look like an extension. I've been training my users to rename files using the mm-dd-yyyy format rather than mm.dd.yyyy and then restoring access.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't you mean the yyyymmdd format :eng101:

Baby steps... we are talking about users here

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

Doesn't the police deal with trespassing? If he was fired and told to leave he has no right to be on the company's property, right?

While true it is technically trespassing, in most places it is not considered a crime unless it's posted land or a judge has issued a restrictive order of some kind. All the police can do is ask the guy to leave or wait until he does something else arrest-worthy.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Truga posted:

you must be some kind of hyper incompetent snowflake if managing exchange takes more than 10 minutes a month when you install updates from microsoft on patch tuesday :wtc:

This.

Exchange is rock solid these days. It runs itself. I haven't had to touch our 2010 install in over a year other than to apply patches. It just works.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

SEKCobra posted:

No, actually my point is exactly that this is on an almost equal level of legality. Accessing a personal credential storage for another user without their consent is definitely far outside any arguably acceptable tolerance imo. Even if you are 'just' checking usernames.

I think you'll find that in a corporate environment (in the United States at least) the computer and everything on it, including any personal login credentials that may or may not be there, is considered to be company property and no right to privacy exists. If the said harassment was sent from a work machine, company IT is well within it's rights, and possibly even obligated by law so search their own computers for evidence.

Now if the machine is owned by the employee then you would probably be correct, but in most companies this is not the case.

Edit: I do agree however that HR should be involved. The police on the other hand, unless the harassment is at a criminal level they really have no need to be involved in what is essentially a civil matter.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 18, 2017

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

SEKCobra posted:

I am indeed not based in the US, defacto you'd get into so much trouble in my country for even thinking about doing this aloud that you could probably shut your company down on the spot. But having touched bases with US companies, it just seems unlikely this extent of invasion can be legal even in the US. But obviously IDK, my main point still stands to CYA to hell and back.

The laws in the US, with a few notable exceptions are very pro company - screw the employee. This is especially true in creative industries. A buddy of mine worked for a company as a video game developer, and was developing a small indy game on his own in his free time at home. If he so much as looked into a bug report for his personal project while on break at work the company could have legally laid claim to his personal project for being developed using company resources. I actually saw the contract where that was spelled out in black and white.

There is absolutely no such thing as computer privacy in the US when using corporate resources.

In the OP's particular case I doubt the information, if found, will ever be used to take legal action against the harasser. Instead what will likely happen is that HR will use the information to show a breach of signed computer policy and arrange for security to escort the harasser out of the building. This is enough to satisfy the company's responsibility for proper handling of workplace harassment, and perfectly acceptable practice under US law.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
A ticket came in:

Word document won't print.

The file was sent to the user through email, but it's not infected in any way that can be detected by our antivirus suite. Printer is working fine and other documents print fine, tried the file on another workstation, still wouldn't print. Tried the file on my personal workstation, still wouldn't print. No error message at all, click print, select printer, hit the print button nothing happens. Tried saving it as a new file, still wouldn't print.

Copy/pasted the entire contents of the document to a brand new Word document and it prints beautifully :shrug:

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 20, 2017

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

stevewm posted:

HP Printer?

I've seen this happen A LOT with HP printer drivers and Word/Excel/PDF. The fix has always been to specify a paper type in the printer's properties. Most of HP's drivers default to "unspecified" as the paper type. Setting it to something else generally fixes the no print issue, at least for me.

Original printer was indeed an older HP 2035, but it also failed to print to either of our big Lanier MFPs, so I discounted driver issues as the cause. I'm guessing it was a margin error or some other funky setting like Dr. Arbitrary suggested, causing windows to barf on the file when trying to print.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

I do like using that one for 5 digit locks, :hfive: for 4 digit models though you can't do better than 1138.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

For 3-digit sure, but the leading 0 to force it into 4 digits kinda ruins it

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

He got the original, but not the intermediate. The code in Deus Ex is a reference to Fahrenheit 451.

Yeah, I've never played Deus Ex, so I thought of the book instead. :(

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
A ticket came in:

quote:

Good morning,

When I came in to work today my computer was off, which I thought was odd. When I turned it on it started burning and lots of smoke came out. Can you help?

Looks like the wires feeding the motherboard from the power supply got hot and actually caught fire. Don't know why yet.

The fire melted this unused SATA power connector that was tucked in the wire loop.

Happy Monday!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

iospace posted:

What about external combustion engines?

Snark aside, I think possibly a surge on one of the wires caused it to fry? I don't know, weird that that happened.

Either the SATA power connector shorted out or the power supply decided to send too much current down the wires to the motherboard. I'm leaning towards SATA connector short as the cause because that connector shows the most damage, the wires are just sooty and scorched, the connector actually melted and charred.

My guess is that over the weekend the connector shorted out and tripped the power supply, which was why the computer was off. On startup it shorted again, but this time the power supply didn't trip and the short got hot enough to catch fire.

Either way I'm trashing everything inside the case and getting the user a new machine.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Y'all are weird. I just looked it up, it's not even monitored by a live proctor. Students set up the camera, take the test with the camera on them, and turn it off when they're done. The recording gets submitted along with the test and the software flags potential "suspicious behavior" for human review.

If you want to allow students to take exams remotely their has to be some sort of check.

And we all know that there's zero chance that some kid with the hots for her teacher will decide to take the test in her underwear, or that some bubblehead will try to improve her grade by taking it topless. :rolleyes: The fact that it is not monitored live and the test/session terminated at the first sign of inappropriate behavior actually makes it worse.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

You know that had the potential to happen before this software existed right? And isn't limited to women for that matter?

It's widely-used software that's been accepted in academia. It's pretty straight-forward. But whatever, carry on with your weird hang-ups about topless coeds or whatever you inherently associate with webcams. I honestly don't give a gently caress about the software, people were just reacting to it without reading about it. :shrug:

The assumption here being that it is only being used in post secondary education. That was not clear in the original post.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know if it was this thread, but I had to show my cubemate how to get Visual Studio Code so that he'd stop writing scripts in Word.

This industry is 80% clueless and if you think you're part of that 80%, you're either wrong or on your way into the 20%.

You might have limited time at your current job, but you have time to get working on those skills and have something for the next job.

Don't sweat it, you'll be ok.

Agreed. Whomever hires you may say and even think they want SQL experience, but what they really want is someone capable of learning SQL. Someone who's learning and understands that they are learning is less likely to make a critical mistake without having a backup, or rush haphazardly into unknown territory without sitting down to research the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
From experience: Accountants are very protective of their old school Windows 2003 physical servers running accounting software built (if you're lucky) in the early 90's.

Ours is still Win 2003 but at least I finally managed to retire it's physical essence a few months ago. (It's still sitting behind me in my cube "in case we need it") :downsgun:

• Locked thread