Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rookersh posted:

Why are the adding VA.

They have all the lines already, just rip them from the game.

e: Why are the adding music. Can they not just rip those files from the original game?

I guess if you write music you might not be any good at texture or modeling work. The 'Azura's Coast' track here is pretty drat good, haven't listen to all of them yet but hey! Good start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Oh Valve what have you done

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

havenwaters posted:

Looks like mod creators get 25%, Valve/Publisher and Dev get to split up the other 75%

Hey at least this is a "gently caress the system" foothold to keep places like the Nexus up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Danaru posted:

Was this a future we could have prevented, or was this an inevitability?

Honestly this isn't really a change for anything, it will just fracture Skyrim's modding community and drive people away from the Workshop. There will still be lots of content made for free and available everwhere, and even paid mods will be free because they are so low on the totem of legal-give-a-poo poo (unless the mod is ripping IP off from a big company) and there is zero DRM on them. They can be freely traded all over the place and now people have a reason to, because paying for mods is dumb/Valve are idiot shitheads/I shouldn't have to pay/ and whatever other justifications people will have about it.

Like people have said, ~pro tier~ modders don't use Workshop anyway, and not all content creators are out there to make money. Especially with a 75-25 split, that's an easy damper on modders with dollars in their eyes.

Imagine the Pirate Bay, but for player created mods, covered in anarchy symbols and skull gifs. This is the future.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mzbundifund posted:

No, but if a pirated mod distribution site got big enough, publishers might go after them due to the aggregate perceived loss of profit.

This will only happen if it's done in a centeral website single hosting server sort of way. A 'pirate' mod torrent being shuffled around is just as safe as Skyrim it self being pirated around.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Roadie posted:

So does the Workshop for Skyrim actually have good mod management now? Last time I checked it still didn't properly handle basic stuff like multi-mod load order properly and that's why I was just doing everything through Mod Organizer/BOSS anyway.

No, the workshop has not gotten any quality of life improvements at all. It's still big and obtuse, it's still clunky and slow, and it still doesn't give a prompt when a mod updates any of ask if you want the update, it still just forces the update on you without telling you, potentially breaking your leaning tower of tits.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GunnerJ posted:

Did I read somewhere that this whole thing was either Arthmoor's idea or something he heavily pushed for?

Apparently he was involved with the talks in setting all this up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I have (and continue to buy) lots of Planetside 2 player created content and support Minecraft people on Patreon.

Why do I want to pay Bethesda 75%of whatever a mod costs again? Why can't I give it directly to content creators?

These are the things I'm confused by, and I think the discussions on the monetized mod things only included Bethesda, Valve, and mod creators. They didn't invite any players though so the backlash is coming unexpectedly. It owns.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pakled posted:

The Nexus lets you donate directly to mod creators with no money skimmed off the top. The reason Valve and Bethesda take a cut out of monetized mods on Steam Workshop is because they can.

Right, so what is to stop Bethesda from deciding that for Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls saying that sites like Nexus can't host mods anymore because of a TOS like they do with the selling mods part (doesn't count for Steam obv.)? Right now Bethesda gets 45% of that 75% cut selling mods, which is better than 0% than they'd get from Nexus and Bethesda is a for-profit company so.....?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The amount of irl free market libertarians coming out because of this is hilarious and sad all at the same time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

El Generico posted:

Then why would anyone be able to DMCA anything? Legitimate or otherwise, if there's no legal threat, wouldn't they just ignore it?

I don't know, when Minecraft modding got into it, it seemed like licences and copyrights could have some legal weight for mod authors.

When you get DMCA'd you have to counter-claim back that the DMCA is not valid in a specifically worded legalese way, you can't just ignore it. Valve will forward any DMCA it gets to whoever it is for, if there is no counter-claim from the person being DMCA'd Valve has to comply and remove that content. Sometimes companies (ones you aren't paying to host things) will just straight-up delete content, paid hosting usually gets around 3 days or so. I don't know where Valve would fall into this.

El Generico posted:

There are tons of people for whom that is all that this is about.

Because you say so doesn't make it true, and even if it IS true it doesn't make the other issues any less important.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ynglaur posted:

It's okay to have friends with whom you have political differences.

It's ok sure, but it is hard if you have empathy for other people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Voting with your wallet is taking part in capitalism in it's purest form and I never understand when people try to shame others by doing it.

"I don't think I'm going to buy Bethesda's next game as heartily as I was"
"HEH WHATEVER PISSY BAbY YOU CAN'T STOP IT"

:confused: are you trying to make people feel bad about buying things because some hyper-sperg on the internet can't help put project his or her weird capitalistic-insecurities onto everyone else? If someone doesn't want to buy something because they don't like the decisions the company makes, don't like the commercial, don't like the way the company portrays itself or doesn't like the beliefs that its CEO holds those are all valid reasons to not buy something, because in capitalsm EVERY reason, no matter how stupid, is a valid reason.

El Generico posted:

You can make it really expensive if you want to rock Titan Xes in SLI, of course.
:getin:

El Generico posted:

If people clicked donation buttons enough that it was really comparable to what mod authors can make even on a 25% cut of paid downloads, the internet wouldn't be running on ad revenue.

Incidentally enough a better way to handle this would be to run adds on a mod's page and share the ad revenue with the modder. Of course that isn't good enough so???

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

El Generico posted:

Oh, right, I'm a shill because I don't want to burn Bethesda and Valve at the stake for trying something new, for giving mod authors a chance to make significant money off of their work legally for the first time ever, for making some mistakes and having hosed up when this is the first time something like this has ever been tried by anyone. gently caress me for not being on board with the rage bandwagon, I guess, video games are dead, modding is dead, surely every mod ever made from here on out will be paid only. The sky is definitely falling, what an rear end in a top hat I was for suggesting otherwise.

I dunno do you think you sound smart and cool by framing everything in extremes? If you aren't a corporate yes-boy (you know, the middle managers at Best Buy types) then you are just naive, and that's fine. Having discussions are cool, getting all huffy when people blow off whatever opinions you lay out just makes everyone roll their eyes. Advice for life, my friend.

I'm still confused about why Bethesda deserves a cut though. I bought the game (and all the DLC like a good consumer) and that was Bethesda's cut. Why do they get anything, let alone the claimed 45% of the sale, of mods created by their users? Especially when the last work they did on Skyrim was literal years ago? I haven't seen a compelling argument in favor of Bethesda profiting off this more so than they have (which is continued sales of their game).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

iGestalt posted:

One potential problem that will come from this is copyright infringement and sale of protected properties by a modder - and the extreme legal hammer that'll come down on them. Someone selling a Disney-owned (One of the most aggressive companies in regards to IP protection) property (Lightsaber, Marvel, w/e.) and it's not caught by Valve?

Whole world'a poo poo. Did they really not consider the extreme legal issues surrounding this whole thing?

That Forbes article talks about this.

Opened the valve on a whole world of big-company copyright poo poo and losing PR in the process :mmmhmm:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Double Bill posted:

I'm pretty sure they did this in co-operation with Bethesda, so getting any other developers/publishers on board would require their consent and interest. I can't imagine many of them looking at the ongoing PR disaster and going "yes, we want some of that".

Tripwire jumped right on http://store.steampowered.com/eula/232090_eula_0
to the straight up not allowing paid mods. Already using this Skyrim thing to spin positive PR for themselves.

Dumb me, it's been that way for a while.

Hey remember the Xbone? The third Xbox? That was a time when bitching forced Microsoft to change their hand. That owned.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 25, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Colgate posted:

If I were a modder, solely interested in my own profit, I'd STILL not be an early adopter of this lovely policy and wait until the smoke clears. A paltry 25% is probably not worth dealing with all this bullshit right now, due to how volatile your potential consumers are.

Also Apocalypse Spells is way better than Midas Magic.

I enjoy watching people who were well respected (lol modding community) burn all of their goodwill and assumed good-ness in a few lines of text. These people now, no matter what they make, will be forever attached to 'hey aren't you the guy that'. Since their ~respect~ comes from their mods, they can't escape it. This is the same poo poo that happened in Minecraft. You have well-respected and well-loved mods where the creator said or did a thing with hubris, and were replaced and forgotten about in one update where as before they had been in that position for years.

These modders full of hubris and wearing their newly-fitted Jr. Capitalist hats have no idea about their own positions in this dumb modding community, let alone in how to function with other people. Players decide the fate of mods, not the other way around.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eonwe posted:

i dont think thats going to happen

Have you ever dealt with DMCAs at all 'cause if you have you know it's easy to fire one off. If you send a DMCA takedown request properly it's taken seriously because that's how the idiotic law was written.

On the upside sending a counter-claim back in response is where it always ends, because the next step in a DMCA is an actual lawyer court thing which never happens because lol videogames.

Also have you ever dealt with companies before? Capitalism? It's p. hilarious I'd give it a shot

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

trickle down modnomics

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Republicans posted:

Except build and maintain the tools and platform you use to create and sell your mods.

The Real Foogla posted:

they didn't make skse or mo/nmm, modding is kinda worthless without those

Yeah sorry Bethesda got their cut, if they want a revenue stream rather than a one-time fee then they should change how they sell their games. Oh well I guess Zenimax tried that with ESO and this must be their backup plan :v:
Bethesda hasn't updated Skyrim for the last (almost) two years, has done no patching, done zero development on tools to make it easier/better and have had no hand in creating the actual tools people use right now. Valve hasn't improved the Workshop either because it is still an obtuse circa 1999 UI slow garbage pail of a mess.

The people being all WWII about it are dumb as gently caress yeah, but Valve is also pretty dumb about the whole thing too because laffo the mod workshop for Skyrim and now you have to pay to use it :laffo:

tekz posted:

Is this bad or good or what? It doesn't sound bad if they allow $0 mods but I don't trust these lovely companies and giving them control over anything, I could easily see mod use in future games being behind paywalls and stuff like that

Well right now if you put a mod in the sell section your minimum is 50 cents. You can't 'sell' a mod for $0 at the moment. Have you modded Skyrim before? It's exactly the same but now some content is behind a paywall. It's the same conflicts, save corruption, zero customer support and all the warts that come with 'doing' modded Skyrim. There isn't any value added for the end user, all you get is a 'gee support your favorite modder!' so good luck.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 26, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Republicans posted:

I think them providing mod tools for free with the game but taking a cut of sales if you sell mods you make with them is perfectly fair and reasonable. If people want to continue to make and distribute mods for free they can.

For now. :unsmigghh:

Cool so when do they start because like we already said and you ignored, the tools people use now aren't the ones provided by Bethesda. If you want to say 'the privilege' of being able to make mods then sure, but I'd disagree with that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Republicans posted:

It doesn't matter what tools you use, if you tried to sell a Skyrim mod before you can bet you'd have Bethesda on your rear end for it. All that's changed is Bethesda saying "Under these conditions you can sell your mods." Don't like those conditions? Don't sell your mods then.

You started out saying that Bethesda 'deserved' a cut because of the tools, yeah? Now it's just 'because they can'. Of course they can, it's their game so its their rules. That's separate from the deserving part.

Midnight Voyager posted:

So, I noticed something.

Er, that's... So, first off, they haven't done this with any of the paid mods up right now, have they? Secondly, won't LITERALLY EVERYONE just get it when it's free and not pay when it goes up for sale?

Also, good job cherry-picking what articles show up in Recent News for Skyrim, Steam.

If that is indeed how it's going to work then we can expect "MOD RELEASE" posts and websites just like Steam sales. This is assuming Valve ever unlocks discussion on the mods themselves in order to figure out if during this period of testing they are worth it. Kind of hard to do when there isn't any discussion allowed :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eonwe posted:

who cares

you do

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eonwe posted:

hmm, no

hey don't worry ~I~ don't care

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eonwe posted:

i wonder how sales of Skyrim are doing, since obviously outraged gamers have good spending habits

oh, the more expensive Legendary Edition is on sale and at the #2 spot just behind GTA V, and the regular edition is at #5

yea they are definitely hurting right now

who cares

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

projecthalaxy posted:

Valves already got their money so haha suck it I guess

He's got 24 hours though, then that guy is on THE LIST

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
poo poo posting is a limited resource and this new Skyrim paid mods thing as really exploded the growth in this current under-developed sector. Think of it as value added!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The entire issue has to do with the fact that people don't wan't to pay artists real money for what they do and if you're an artist who wants to be paid a reasonable wage for what you do people tar you as being a "sell out" or talk about how pure/real art is only done by cool people who take joy in doing something just for the sake of doing it and why can't you just be like them?

Framing complex arguments/debates in simple terms like this makes you exactly as bad as the people you are bitching about hth

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Parallelwoody posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Bethesda shouldn't really get a cut? I get that they made the CK but that added value to the game, encouraging people to buy it. There's their cut. They made money already off the players and modders that purchased the game. Their game increases in value with every horse cock addition because that is horse cock content they didn't have to pay man hours to program and add themselves. So they are already getting free labor and increased game value as their cut, which leads to more sales long after other games have been abandoned. And while the plural of anecdote doesn't equal data, I can say from personal experience that they get free advertising when I tell my friends about all the insane horse cock additions they can add to the pc version over the console one. So is there a good reason outside of them saying "gently caress you we own those horse cocks" that they should be getting a percentage off the back end as well that I'm missing?

Nah I feel this way too (and I imagine others probably do as well) it's just there is so much wrong with this whole deal it's hard to focus on specific parts. Bethesda did get their cut, and now many years later they decide that they want to collect back-taxes on the community that contributed to their sales success. Suppose if they are willing to pay modders for the community they built in a back-taxes sort of way then that would be fair but lol capitalism so no.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eonwe posted:

More words moralizing about how mods should be free too

All of it dumb bullshit on both sides

Third World Reggin posted:

Modders are being allowed to profit off of Bethesdas work and IP. Without Bethesda there would be just big titty elves.

who cares

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Asimo posted:

I too am too cool to care to have opinions about things.

but will you post in the thread about it? also talk in all lower case so you are even cooler

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dongattack posted:

lol

im still not gonna play skyrim again tho

I think I'm going to :getin:

And by going to I mean I'll install a few, go hog wild and throw a bunch in and go 'ah gently caress' and play something else instead. It's the thought that counts though

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Third World Reggin posted:

Bethesda built a game and a system for modding and really only needs to upkeep that. The modders are the ones required to make sure their stuff works within the framework provided. Bethesda can expand that framework but should not be responsible for a mod creator being bad at making mods. I mean should bethesda go out of their way to make sure the horse anus mod works on every horse? No. That is that weirdos job, not Bethesdas.

From there it really is the job of the players to pay for the mod or not. Much like most digital media, some times there are flops. Video games has quite a few of these. Flops are then reported by word of mouth and if bad enough taken off the distribution method. People will bitch and moan about steam or bethesda verifying mods first, but there was a section called "paid under review" for a reason. Of the 30 or so under review, things like the 100 dollar floating chair mod was most likely not going to make it.

Steams refund policy is pretty old and people thought that this was some how a new thing that they give you credit for which really isn't a bad thing. Considering how many comics or jokes there are about steam sales, you probably will spend more money on steam if you get a refund. But even then people were complaining about something that had been around for quite awhile.

Comments were disabled because of the child like poo poo fit people were throwing at the thought of 17 of the 25,000+ mods costing mainly between 25 cents and 2 dollars. Instead they would like a tipping jar so they could pay those mod creators less.

You don't know as much about this specific instance of Skyrim and paid mods that you think you do. The whole thing was implemented badly, the other people that simply did not want to pay for mods don't make the others who thought the system was bad wrong. Just like the modders who lorded over everyone and demanded they buy their pay mod and stop using the free one don't ruin the other modders who took a much more even approach to the whole thing. If people don't want to spend money (or as much money) then that's their prerogative, they are 'agents' in this system and the system has to take them into account. There is no forcing people to pay for things they don't want to and "the child like poo poo fit" people threw was powerful enough to make Valve pull the plug on the whole thing, illustrating exactly how useful bitching on the internet about video games actually is.

If I am going to pay for a mod I need some more value in the transaction outside of feeling bad about not supporting the modder. I need like, patches and some sort of guarantee that there is support there, you know, like vetted DLC. You have to convince me to part with my money, not the other way around. Consumers are the one with the power since they hold the money, which means you do what they want (or think they want anyway) in order to get them to cough up the dough.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So has the SkyUI guy posted some long rambling bullshit about how he shouldn't thought of badly yet?

Just the gate gate guy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This is the correct way to get back into the community. Grats all around.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Malek posted:

So there is only one mod I would even consider paying for with how big it is and I enjoyed it immensely.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10738

Looks like he posted his take on it too.

Looks like he's making Oberon's Court which was recently Greenlit.

Unless I grossly missed something, this guy seems the most sane of all the modders I've seen thus far.

They didn't, but the 'I thought about removing ~my mod~ to spite you' statement is pretty childish and stoops to the level of the people he's complaining about. The idea that content creators are above players is toxic no matter who it comes from.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I can't wait for the what.cd of modding looks like

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agents are GO! posted:

So NMM is incorporating featured mod organizer has had for two years and fucks up your install in the process? Sounds about right.

That Darkone guy is such a choad goddamn.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Obscurity posted:

I just bought the Skyrim Legendary Edition since I've always wanted to play this game, but never took the plunge. Finally deciding to and I realize I am going to want to mod this. So I downloaded all of the mods/patches in the OP for new player recommendations. Now what I need help with is the visual modding. I do not know anything about modding this game other than what I skimmed in the OP. Is there a general suite of mods I can download for the best visual experience? I don't really care to nitpick each mod I just want this game to look beautiful and realistic. What can I do to make this easier on myself?

lol if you think you can stop yourself from nitpicking, you are so hosed lol

I'm playing modded Skyrim again because I've got at least a year before Fallout 4 hits its stride modding-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sociopastry posted:

There was a mod a while back that randomized the heights of everyone so everyone wasn't the exact same height. I can't seem to find it anymore, which is a real bummer because it always bugs me that everyone's the same height.

Everybody's Different?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51612/

• Locked thread