Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

Sweet Pokeballs, it's become a world breaker. Nothing short of Arceus going mega could stop that monster.

He's still slower than Deoxys-A, N and S and doesn't hit as hard as they do because they can actually use items.

I don't think Mega evolutions are going to be as scary as people think. Mega Alakazam, for instance, is almost certainly not going to be as good as Magic Guard Alakazam with a Life Orb etc.

Tons of regular pokemon are still going to curbstomp them, if only because they can use things like Choice items (which are a bigger boost than any Mega form we know of bar Mawile).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sprite141 posted:

Does anyone know if you can get X exclusive pokemon's megastones in Y and vise versa? Because then getting all the megas would be a huuuuge pain.

Aggron and Tyranitar's are for sure in the opposite version that they appear in. And while you can trade the stones, I'm pretty sure you only get one per file.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

Oh god it's Mew's truck all over again, but might actually be true. Gamefreak!

You go with the fake Mew's Truck instead of the actual 'This pokemon can only be found rarely in four randomized tiles of water' or 'Have a party that starts with a Wailord and ends with a Relincanth to open this rock'?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Der Metzgermeister posted:

That doesn't excuse Gen 5. :mad:

Hey there was that one house that let you run around with a Meinfoo behind you!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
150 base attack, 140 base defense, 100 base special defense and it keeps Technician/Bullet Punch.

Holy god I want one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

tonic316 posted:

Is it good to hold back your pokemon from evolving so they learn all their moves quicker?

A lot of times they learn different moves now. So, uh, until we get some more information you might as well flip a coin.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

How do you guys handle your current party? Do you use up all six slots with permanent members, just a few, or do you switch everybody out all the time?

Also, is exp share going to make the campaign too easy? I want to play around, catch poo poo, and take my time but I also don't want to steamroll every gym leader because I spent too much time "grinding".

Turn it off when things get too easy, put it back on when you start slipping behind the curve. Worked pretty well for me so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oooh, you missed it a while ago. The town with the aquarium and the fossil lab. Take the time to go back to the Glittering Cave too once you get Rock Smash. There's an Old Amber in one of the rocks right in the final area.

The Old Amber is a random drop from the rocks. I had to leave and re-enter that room a half dozen times to get one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there just the one? Or is it farmable?

edit: Also as a general missable thing; Talk to the NPC's on the beach just after that town and you'll find someone who gives you a dowsing rod. It'll net you a shitload of good items just walking around the beaches.

I'm fairly sure you can get as many Old Ambers as you want. It just has a low spawn rate, so get used to Dwebble and Onix.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kuhmondo posted:

What would be a good nature for Honedge? I'm trying to capture some and i'm getting pretty crappy ones so far.

Adamant, or anything that hurts Special Attack/Speed while boosting one of his other stats. His speed will always be pathetic and I still haven't even found a Special Attack he can learn.

Flossie posted:

I've battled Prof Sycamore more than 20 times to get a female Squirtle, a quick search online seemed to confirm you can get female kanto starters, am I just being insanely unlucky?
I can confirm, I got a female Squirtle from him. Remember though, Squirtle only has a 1/8 chance of being female so you might not be that unlucky.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

I love timing my evolutions for important battles. I just had my Honedge evolve after solo-ing Korrina's gym (now for the fun task of dusk stone hunting :negative:)

Wait till it gets to level 53, it learns Sacred Sword.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I just beat the Team Flare dudes at the Power Plant now I have absolutely no clue where to go or what I should be doing. Any tips? None of the NPCs seemed to indicate anything...

Go south through the gate. All of Luminoise city is open to you, including the next gym.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Emalde posted:

Holy poo poo, what is the secret to winning at any Super Training using Skrelp? Auto machine gun might be the most obnoxious and impossibly difficult pokemon trait to deal with.

Don't try to charge, hit all the white targets before they disappear twice and one of the red ones that doesn't immediately disappear will show up. Blast away at that with your machine gun and you should be able to win.

Well, as long as you don't want to train Special Defense. That's some bullshit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where's Aerodactyl at? I'm about to take on the Electric Gym and I could use someone with solid Rock moves to get me through it.

I meant to use my one PP Up I've stumbled upon on Tyrantrum's Ancient Power but I used it on Dragon Claw instead by accident. Ugh. Anywhere I can find PP Ups at this point in the game would be hugely appreciated. Why are these still so hard to come by?

Teach Tyrantrum Rock Tomb instead of Ancient Power. It has a way higher attack stat and the speed lowering nature of that attack is great. Plus it got a big power, pp and accuracy boost this gen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's cool but you might want to turn it off eventually. Admittedly I've been progressing very slowly because I'm catching everything before moving on, but I'm way overlevelled. I just beat the 3rd gym and my six Pokemon were all late 30's/early 40's. (The gym leader was using level 28 Pokemon)

Yeah, its basically Easy Mode from White 2. Turning it off still lets you get more than enough EXP to keep a team of 6 up with the gym leaders and such and makes the game more fun for me because I'm not steamrolling everything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mondlicht posted:

They come in Blue, Pink, or Yellow.

They come in White and Orange too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Whoa, someone Wonder traded me a Honegde with Pokerus!

Right after I spent two hours maxing out my teams EVs. :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

This has been asked a million times but I've never seen anyone respond to it.

Where is the move learner? Is he standing next to the move deleter? If not, do you know where the deleter is? What currency do they use?

Edit:

You get pokemiles when you trade (such as wonder trade). The further someone is from you, the more pokemiles. You also get a few just from walking around in the game. You can trade them to a dude in Paris's Pokecenter for items, such as PP Up.

They're in the same house in Dedennine town? The Ice one right after the 6th badge. Move Relearner takes Heart Scales, Deletion is free.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MotU posted:

When is a Pokemon's nature/sex from an egg determined? Can I save right before it hatches then reset?

In the older games it was set when the guy hands you the egg. No idea if thats still the case, but its been like that since second gen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Hooray my first Amaura is another girl! So now I can keep one in the daycare to make more with my Rhydon and have the other one on a team! Or at least I will once I get fly and can get back there when it's not a pain in the rear end.

But jesus these eggs take forever to hatch. Is there a way to make this not totally awful?

Get a Pokemon with Flame Body in your party, it shaves off half the steps. Fletchinder has it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

HalfHazard posted:

Is doing Super Training really worth it if I think this mini game, well, sucks a whole lot? If the games don't get much better past the level 3 stuff, I'll probably just stick to the regular ol' grinding, or the lower levels at least. :rolldice:

Level 3 is the highest till you max out your EVs. Past that you get harder games that give you stones and things.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

Does anyone have a Ditto that I can borrow for 5 minutes, or would want to trade one for a Fennekin/Chespin/Bulbasaur/Charmander? I've got Fennekin coming out my ears, but I haven't seen a Ditto (or a Froakie, for that matter) and can't set up a GTS trade for one :T

You can set up a trade for any pokemon who's name you can spell. Underneath Z there's an option to type in the name for any pokemon you're looking for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Is there any downside to keeping the EXP Share turned on? It feels like I'm cheating, all of my 'Mons are leveling at the same rate and it's fantastic but I know there's got to be a downside.

It makes the game a lot easier? And spreads around EVs you might not want I guess.

Honestly, it basically serves the same function as the Easy Key from White 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

Yes, that's very new, and VERY welcome. It means pandaK was totally right earlier: non-ditto/female parent determines the ability kids get, full stop.

Holy poo poo, this makes so many things so much easier.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

my new dog posted:

What's the trick for getting Tyrunt to evolve? Bulbapedia says it evolves at lvl 39, but mine's at 40 now and still a runt.

It needs to be daytime as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pandaK posted:

What does it do?

Its protect that lowers the opponent's attack 1 stage if they attack. Also puts Aegislash in defense forme.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

pandaK posted:

:psyduck: So this thing is going to go straight to Uber right?

Probably not, its slow as poo poo in either forme and ghost priority isn't as awesome as Scizor's stuff. Plus the weaknesses to ground, dark, ghost and fire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

jymbojones posted:

Where can I reliably get my hands on some Heart Scales? I'm gearing up for the E4 and I need to do a bit of move relearning.

Use the old rod to fish for luvdiscs, they usually have them. You can even give something theif so you don't have to capture a million of them too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

Its defenses in defense form are absolutely absurd, though. Mine was only taking 30 damage from a Tyrantrum's non-STAB Earthquake in defense form.

Storyline pokemon don't have any EVs or IVs remember. And it has crap for coverage, and when in Sword Forme its defenses are like paper.

Its pretty cool, but its not like Scizor or something.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Solus posted:

Why Shadow Sneak over Shadow Claw? I've had better results with Claw.

Priority is really powerful when you're as slow as Aegislash, and vital if he ever wants to sweep anything versus other people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nakar posted:

There's sure to be more of them when Z comes out and then still more over time. I'd agree some (like Pinsir/Heracross) probably don't need to be postgame, but stuff like Mewtwo and Scizor probably do.

Mega Scizor, seriously? And it still has Technician? Now you're just rubbing it in, guys.

Its still weaker than a regular Scizor holding a Life Orb to be fair.

I think a lot of Mega Evos are going to be less used than their base forms with a few obvious exceptions ie. Mawhile, Abomasnow, Aggron, Gengar, Charizard X/Y and Ampharos.

Like, I have no idea why you would use Mega Alakazam over Magic Guard Alakazam with Life Orb or Focus Sash. Ditto Mega Tyranitar, Scizor, Heracross etc.

Hell Mega Blastoise managed to get one of the only abilities that's a step down from Torrent considering the only pulse move it learns is water pulse and its only jacked up to the level of Surf.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

alg posted:

How do I get Pokemon to Super Train if it says they don't want to?

Tap on it and it'll wake up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dastardly posted:

Is sacred sword the last move Doublade learns at 51 or should I keep off on evolving it even longer?

Nah, you're good at that point. Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Shadow Claw and Swords Dance or King's Shield are all it ever needs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I feel like I've overlevelled a touch, though that could be because I've only used three pokemon for the majority of the game.

Greninja (Levi) - 38. I have no complaints about this guy. He's speedy, he hits special like a truck, he looks cool as hell... :allears:
Fufrou (Sasha) - 36. I feel like this is one of those pokemon that's going to slow down soon, but so far she's a decent tank. She flinchhaxed the fighting gym to death too which was great.
Charizard Y (Eren) - 36. To be honest he hasn't pulled his weight so far, though hopefully now he's evolved, he can start actually killing things.

I've quit for the night just after recieving the free Lucario (Erwin), while Diggersby makes for a decent HM slave. How far away am I from fishing up a Skrelp?

You can get one with the Good Rod by fishing at the beach near the town where you got the second badge.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Can you semi-easily reset EVs in X/Y?

Yes. Once a pokemon is maxed out having them hit the empty bag in super training for a while will eventually drop a bag which resets all EVs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dastardly posted:

Who the gently caress gave some mons a goddamn useless machine gun ball attack in super training. It's so incredibly bad I can't even put it in words.

The machine gun attack makes super training super easy. Just nail all the white goals, don't try fro charged shots, and unload when the red goal pops up. Its just a little disorienting to get useful.

Once you have about 100 EVs though you can clear level 3 training in 20ish seconds. Literally all of my best time records are from machine gun mons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

How do you get an Old Amber out of glittering cave? I didn't find a single one.

You have to keep rock smashing. It only spawns at a fairly low rate though so be prepared to leave and re enter the final chamber a bunch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

gently caress the rear end in a top hat who made the third level Special Attack Super Training. That poo poo is literally loving impossible. You can't out-run all the balls, your shield takes at least two passing by to recharge, and they nuke your points by over 200 a hit. Well, I guess I'll just do the loving lower-level training. God forbid any of this already-tedious poo poo be any faster, right?

What. Its the easiest one. Dodge tall shots to the side, fat shots up and down. It even tells you this.

Special defense is the bullshit one. Freaking Tentacreul and its stupuid pattern.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

Unless the opponent has defence boosts, of course.

Crits were nerfed this gen to only do 150% damage instead of 200% damage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

That only gives me the rough location. I've been looking through Cauriway Town for the past 30 minutes and I can't find it.

Its up a Waterfall near the back right corner.

• Locked thread