Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was just looking for an Abra and then this thing popped up.

:supaburn:

So what effects does the amie have on your Pokemon in the game? And is there anything more you can do with your mon other than petting them or feeding them? Man there is just so much to do in this game, I love it.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I got a Spritzee. Which is the better fairy mon? Spritzee or Flabebe? And how should I train them? Though I might consider using both considering how much easier it is to grind in this game. I don't think exp output even gets halved if you switch out in the middle of a battle.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

So I just beat the Elite 4 and want to get into this "making a kickass team to fight other people with" thing for the first time. I know about IVs and EVs and such, but what makes up a good team? Type coverage? Is there some sort of tank/healer/DPS mechanic thing I want to look at? For the main game I just had a type coverage team and it worked out great, but it seems there's more to it. So what kind of team do I want to look at going to try and build?

Basically, you want a collection of Pokemon that has good team synergy. Type coverage is one aspect of it, but you may want Pokemon that can cover another one's weaknesses or something like that, like if one of your Pokemon is crippled by entry hazards, you may want someone who can deal with those. I find that finding a good team composition works best by experimenting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What would be a good moveset for an Azumarill? I should be aiming for an Adamant Nature because of Aqua jet, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

seriously, I got a Yvetel on the GTS then traded it off for a Squirtle. I'm probably going to give my X legendary to my friend who has Y because legendaries are laaaame. They lost their appeal after Gold/Silver. They should really spend more time putting effort into move pools and ordinary 'mons like a Dunsparce evo. I thought this would be the generation!!!!

At least it isn't as bad as Gen IV and V. Those went absolutely crazy with the legendaries. I think this gen is the most tame they've been with those guys.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'm still 700 posts behind, but can someone explain why Subsitute is a good move? Right now it just seems like a Protect that costs a fourth of your life.

Prior to X and Y, Substitute basically gave you some room for error. It's not effective if you're attacked on the same turn you put up a Substitute, but if you use it when your opponent switches out, which people try to bait them to do by sending in a Pokemon that horribly crushes the one they're currently using, you basically get a free turn to do whatever you want without any worry, like using a status or setup move or whatever. Or it gives you a free turn to take down the Pokemon they sent in to crush yours. Of course now that Infiltrator and sound moves can bypass it, you'll have to be a bit more careful with it.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 24, 2013

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blackheart posted:

If you haven't beaten the E4, can you still get national dex mons through trade? I'm sad that Misdreavus is unavailable but I'd love to have a Lilligant at least.

Yes. Their dex number will just be unlisted until you get the National Dex.

^The transition to 3D has made that thing horrifying.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Picked up OR recently, and what hidden functions does the DexNav have? I noticed that Pokemon I search for can have egg moves and a hidden ability for one. (Hello Quick Feet Bullet Seed Shroomish. :allears:) What does potential mean?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

pik_d posted:

The number of stars is the number of perfect IVs it has, I believe.

Edit: Actually it's possible to have more than 3 perfect IVs, just the max number of stars is 3.

Oh that's neat. Too bad there's probably nothing like that for legendaries. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Does Synchronize affect natures from gifted Pokemon? I'm trying to get a good nature on this shiny Beldum. Jolly is a good one for it, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So any word on how well Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon was received in Japan or something? I avoided Gates to Infinity (and looks like I made a good choice there) so I wanna know if I should skip that or not.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm pretty sure Kojima actually wanted Snake to be in Melee, but his request came in too late, so he made sure to get the memo to Sakurai sooner during Brawl's development.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

At best they're gonna fix the stuff that might cause problems for the actual 3DS or stuff that would cause the VC game to flat out stop functioning. But fixing every last bug in there? No way, that would be considered a waste of resources on their part. Some minor bugs slip through in games because people really couldn't be bothered to fix them unless the bug is severe.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You couldn't just reset? :v:

From what I've heard about Super Mystery Dungeon, it sounds good and I'm pretty excited for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Help, I got Tepig as my partner and I can't think of a name for them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Going with this. Thanks!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh wow, they're introducing traps a lot earlier than in earlier PMD games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

When were you supposed to take on Axew's request? Because that boss fight was sure something, and now I have a level 50 Salamence on my team. :stare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geostomp posted:

So are all the PMD games in the same setting, or what? Because I keep hearing that old characters are returning.

Apparently, cause this game confirmed it.

I do like the Connection Orb stuff, but I really hope they didn't just decide to make everything finite.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Jeez, this game is fuckin' brutal. Enemies are doing like 25% of my HP in a single attack and I'm just worried about what will happen when enemy spawns start getting high enough that I have to fight more than one at a time. Am I supposed to be burning through my resources like this?

Yeah, it's an actually difficult PMD game for once.

Helioisks are the devil. :argh: They really ramped up the difficulty. Stuff like that is what I would expect from the postgame of a PMD game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Given that I can't imagine this game having TOO much in the way of different events/dialog, I'd guess that even if you say they aren't annoying they just go "Oh I can tell you're lying, you think I'm annoying too" and the same thing happens.

Well, guess I've gotten to that Axew mission everyone's been talking about. Hope this goes well.

Yeah, you still lay it on a bit thick, and they don't take it well.

Nahxela posted:

Rotom is kind of a jerk.

Never trust secret base invitations. Those are pretty much always Monster Houses.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently Pokemon with gender differences also count as different Pokemon for the connection orb. I already have a male Wobbuffet on my team, and I'm getting a request from a female one. Guess they really want you to make use of all their Pokemon models. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey, any moves you've powered up will carry over to all Pokemon who knows those moves. That's handy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Some of these dungeons don't mess around. :stare: I took in a team of level 50s in a "Super Difficult" dungeon and they still got taken out a few times.

Also, use your items. They make things so much more bearable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Fortunately you don't have to bring your player character or partner to any dungeon (outside story ones)! So just put together a team of guys who don't get so owned by Rock Blast!

If it's a story dungeon, uh... see if you can switch leader? Hope you pick up the Emera orb that protects against multi-hit attacks? I forget what it's called.

I don't think you're allowed to switch leaders in story dungeons, but they usually give you a Pokemon who's well suited to that one to help tip the odds in your favor.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I got to the part where you fight Entei and you pretty much do a whole magical girl thing and evolve to your final forms to beat him down. This game is amazing. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, Salamence isn't that bad when you can just put him to sleep with a Slumber Wand every time he wakes up and spam your Alliance move.

I personally used Blast Seeds. Those things are pretty ridiculous nukes. Unfortunately, Damp nullifies them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

you're not used to actually being into the story of a pokemon game

i know this because i made the same mistake.................

I'm pretty sure the main reason to play the PMD games is because of the story. :v: Though I have been enjoying the actual gameplay of Super Mystery Dungeon a lot so far.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just finished climbing up Revelation Mountain a second time. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dittos are evil evil Pokemon. :argh: They made it so that Transform confuses everyone except for the Pokemon it targeted.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Is there nobody who I can trust!? :argh:

Also I only have like 80 Pokemon recruited, and I feel like I'm pretty close to the end. There's a lot of side content in this game. :stare:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Finished the main story. Game was quite good. Also didn't die, though I had plenty of close calls. Use your items, they're lifesavers. I like how the game expects you to use them to get out of sticky situations now instead of you being able to faceroll everything on your own. The increased difficulty was a nice change of pace.

Game got me one last time at the very end. I was not expecting that twist at all. Also, laser cat is the best.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, Baton Pass teams got banned? What happened in Gen VI to cause it to become absurd or something? I'm pretty sure they were legal up to Gen V.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh this is dumb. Evolution in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon doesn't change your stats. At all. You're just better off using the already fully evolved Pokemon most of the time. There's pretty much no point to evolving in this game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Man the first couple post-game dungeons are hell for a fire starter. Protip for folks:

Make sure to have something other than fire and psychic attacks (hello, Fennekin!), and don't be afraid to bring Hoopa. Also don't forget you can bring Hoopa.

Just be real careful about using him, because he's kind of a dick sometimes. Those legendaries he can summon? Sometimes they show up as enemies! :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

"The boss recovers from bad statuses more quickly!" Plus, I can't predict WHEN he'll use it. I tried to pack Taunt to do something similar but it lasts for less than a turn most of the time.

Bring Shedinja or Spiritomb and watch him weep. Oh, and bring a Ban Seed to stop Recovery. :unsmigghh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wouldn't mind the connection orb stuff for like Legendaries, because going through a long dungeon and then losing the ability to recruit them because of RNG or because someone else stole your kill sucks, but for everything else? Yeah it's a downgrade.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

One of the biggest issues with the story in PSMD is that you spend half the game in a tutorial. It's basically the school stuff for like 10 chapters, and then the end of the world thing suddenly pops up and things escalate quickly. I still think the Explorers games still had the story out of all of them. I think things were handled better there, what with the pacing being one of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Does Feint get +2 priority now? Because if so how is that not standard.

Well it has a base power of 30, which is pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

alcharagia posted:

is there like, a cap to moves getting upgraded or should i just continue using razor leaf forever because it has become extremely strong and powerful, like my turtwig self

There's a cap. The bar will turn gold once that happens.

• Locked thread