Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It is kinda cool that Serena uses female Meowstic and Calem uses male Meowstic, but they have the same moveset regardless. C'mon, Gamefreak! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, I don't remember Magmar having arm cannons, therefore, Magmortar > Magmar. And so Rhyperior > Rhydon. I enjoy having the opinion of liking pretty much every Pokemon, so everyone agrees with me for the most part. Though I do agree that evolutions of old Pokemon are much better than Baby Pokemon, they don't do anything but fill Pokedex holes and giving new egg moves/level up moves. Which do you prefer, Magmortar, or Magby?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Constr posted:

Helioptile is very fragile and I don't really have anything that's good against electric types.

You've got that, Skiddo and Honedge, you'll be fine against electric types. You're still in the awkward middle phase, once everything's evolving and getting better moves, you'll be fine, your team is nice and varied. Make sure to get the Sun Stone from Shalour City, then the Dusk Stone from Terminus Cave and everything will be nice and strong come Elite Four.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zoness posted:

Doesn't HG/SS give you a second opportunity to RNG a Creation Trio member in the Sinjoh Ruins (if you have an Arceus)?

You get two tries as well. What I love about that event is you can get a second legendary by bringing the Hall of Origin Arceus, which requires the Azure Flute, which was never released! They made an additional part of the Sinjoh Ruins event that requires you to do an event requiring something that was never released. Oh Gamefreak.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shadow Ball is also a cool option to surprise things. And having your Weakness Policy activate as you go for Swords Dance is forever fun.

Aegislash is seriously one of my favorite Pokemon.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

According to Serebii, shiny charm is back

Hopefully it'll remain that way for, like, forever. Rewards in cold hard items is always much better than just a piece of paper. Though I do like how the diplomas are now displayed in your room. Is that the same in XY? I haven't really gone out of my way to obtain them, you seem to have a fairly large shelf space.

And for being mad enough to actually complete the Pokedex, shiny Pokemon is definitely a great reward.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Catching Unown in D/P/Pt lets Hippopotas become more common in the cave the guy digs out on Route 214, I believe (quickly checking means I'm correct, I've memorized the route locations, help), the one south of Veilstone. After catching them all, you can get ? and ! and a couple of items, so a lot more useful then getting them in other games and finding them is pretty easy, since F, R, I, E, N and D are found in their own corridors and the rest are in the side rooms. Pretty simple.

In Hg/Ss, they were unlocked after solving the puzzles, but didn't do anything for catching them all, aside from filling out the Unown Report. And they do nothing in Gen V. It'd be a bit strange if they did something in Gen VI, since getting them across two generations is a bit of work.

We'll either have to catch the Unown again in either the next games, or the next gen, since it's been a little while since they've been so readily available.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

truth, I have nothing against quagsire and his :) face. Is he worth using in game? I don't think I've ever raised one.

Hey, next time you play a game, try it. I used one in Hg/Ss, worked just fine as a Water/Ground bulky guy with Surf, Waterfall and Earthquake, really helped me live Lance's attacks and somewhat retaliate. It's in-game, so any Pokemon really works, so just pick something, go nuts.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Unfortunately not, but yesterday they re-added the Poke Transporter to the Japanese eShop, so when they add Bank, the international release isn't far behind. It'll be by the end of the month.

Hopefully.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

I'm genuinely curious now if Rotom-F could learn Roost, would the Levitate ability still make him immune to Earthquake while roosting?

Yep, or at least I think, the ability should still let it avoid Ground type moves, but for that turn, it would be pure Electric, or in Gen IV, remain a Ghost/Electric.

BattleCake posted:

Probably because Electric-type immunity to paralysis was just introduced this gen. They should really change that to something else though.

It also means it can't be paralyzed by Stun Spore or Glare. That's it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You're really good at saying a whole lot of nothing.

Since you seem to keep forgetting, my original point was there's no reason for Gamefreak to keep giving a bunch of pokemon poo poo stats. You have yet to provide any explanation as to why they should. Yes they've done some things that have made pokemon that were otherwise ignored useful, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still adding pokemon that are crippled from the word go simply because their stats are atrocious. Not everything needs to be a 600 stat beast but I don't see any reason for sub 400 stat pokemon to still be added.

Your Beedrill example is trash though because its still crippled by its stats. It doesn't matter what you try to do with Beedrill; its a 75 speed pokemon with paper defenses. It can't outspeed a ton of stuff, it can't take a hit, and even when it lands a hit of its own it doesn't have any sting to it. Its inherently crippled by the stats it carries and you can't do anything about it. You shouldn't have to pay a price for not using a pokemon designed entirely for comp because there's no good reason for these pokemon to have such atrocious stats. It doesn't improve the game in ANY way and just dissuades people from using pokemon they might like.

There is no actual reason for having Pokemon with low stats, but that just adds more variety, there will always be crappy joke Pokemon, or early game stuff that outlives its usefulness mid-game, encouraging you to swap it for something else. That's how things are in a lot of games, there's good stuff and there's bad stuff.

Beedrill especially has low stats because you can get it a level 10. It teaches the player about evolution, that things get stronger. Something you can upgrade in future and since you get it so earlier, it's definitely not gonna have high stats, it'd make the early game trivial, so they make it weak so it fits in a difficulty curve. If you want, sure, you can go through the game with Fire Spell Lv1, but you're gonna switch to Lv2 or Lv3 eventually when you get them, but if you really try, then Lv1 will be just fine. Maybe.

And Gamefreak just make weird decisions in general, how they make a Pokemon and distribute its stats is somewhat baffling and they'll make bad Pokemon because there can be.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's never going to be released is it?

Maybe not this year.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Goodpart posted:

Someone needs to explain egg moves to me.

Why is it that, despite Scyther being able to learn Bug Bite, it apparently can't be bred onto him? It passes every requirement: it's a move Scyther can use, and the Bug egg group (obviously) has tons of pokemon Scyther can breed with. What's the deal? Every site I look at says it's a no-go, and yet Pinsir can get it via egg move? What?

Do not question Game Freak's decisions on which Pokemon gets what move. You'll just confuse yourself. Bug Bite is a move tutor move from B2/W2 for Scyther, they're generally not breedable, because then things would be convenient. Give them a few more games to get it right.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Quoting since I didn't get an answer.

Okay, with those two games you can get, without events: (HeartGold) The three birds, Mewtwo, the three dogs, Ho-oh, Lugia, Latias and Kyogre. You can get Mew, Celebi, Latios (either Ss or Hg event), Groudon (from Ss), Rayquaza (with both Kyogre and Groudon in the same game), Jirachi and Deoxys from Hg/Ss related events released around that time (Mew and Jirachi don't do anything, they were just made available and Deoxys is technically Ranger). There's also Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, but they require Arceus and you can only get two.

(White 2): The three Regis, Latias again (Latios in B2), Heatran, Cresselia, Regigigas, the three musketeers, Reshiram and Kyurem, then Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect from events. You miss out on Victini (B/W event), the three kami (Tornadus in B, Thundurus in W and Landorus with both) and Zekrom (only in B2).

If you get Platinum as well, you can get the remaining Gen IV legends of the three pixies, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina, Dakrai, Shaymin and Arceus.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

You can get the three pixies in Black and White 2, brief directions here.

:doh: I was relaying that from memory and completely forgot about those, meaning you only miss out on thirteen legendaries with only Hg and W2 alone, including events.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We'll never get it. Bank is a myth. Like Arceus.

But we got that on occasion, through downloadable events and stuff.

Not through the actual means of the Azure Flute, because why use an actual event coded in the game, then have an additional event in a future game that no one can access because we couldn't do the original event to begin with? GameFreak is... odd.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Millions posted:

Uhhhh

Any idea how my Hawlucha (not Unburdened yet) outsped a Mewtwo X (not paralyzed)?

Hawlucha can have a max of 368 speed, whereas Mewtwo X is max 394, so if uninvested, yeah, you'll outspeed most likely.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There were Mew and Jirachi events during Hg/Ss, just simple downloads (Jirachi did unlock a Pokewalker area) and Manaphy and Deoxys were most recent in Ranger 3, Deoxys is unlimited, but you need two players to complete the mission. (Ignoring other, mostly Japan, download events)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Unless you give us more information, we can only guess. It can be obtained as recent as the Dream Transfer app, or moved up from Gen IV. It can be shiny, any level above 5 (or that only applies to the genies in which case 40, I guess).

It's a legendary, but that don't mean it's hacked.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That. Is super lame. You'd think this would make sense to increase shiny chance by having two parents be shiny or something. It'd take out a lot of the frustration and timesink.

This isn't Gen II you know, when shininess was based on IVs, so imagine how easy it would be now with Destiny Knot and the Power items.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blhue posted:

I would like to see a gym that is a wide open area, filled with trainers actually training their dudes and notably without some dumbass puzzle to waste the time of people entering.

Cheren's Gym, B2W2, large battlefield in the back of a school, just fight two trainers, then the leader.

Esroc posted:

I haven't played X/Y yet but just learned that apparently Mewtwo isn't one-of-a-kind anymore. Somebody explain this bullshit.

You probably shouldn't watch Movie 16 then. :v:

:eyepop:

Good that they're actually confirmed instead of being somewhat able to doubt. Shame they don't have anything new (just assign Pokemon a Levitate trait like some moves have a sound trait instead of slapping it on loads of others) and their design is... pretty bad, why do they look pretty much the same apart from the eyes? It looks kinda last minute, really.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Getting the evolutionary stones is a bitch. Especially newer ones like the Dusk Stone. It would be nice if the Postgame town just had a store that sold all the evolutionary stones, trade items, and the like.

But that's what ~friends~ are for!

:suicide:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

It felt this way going from X/Y to HG, how different is Platinum from HG?

Platinum is pretty much the same as Hg, being from the same generation, but uses the touch screen much less. The battles are a bit slow, but everything will feel slower compared to XY. Definitely go for Pt over DP for some sweet dex expansion (and fire types!).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Fire Red question - do I need the National Dex to get my legendary dog post-E4? Google is offering conflicting info.

Although I've never really tried, it would make sense for it to be post National Dex, since they don't even let you get any Gen 2 onwards Pokemon beforehand. Bulbapedia says after National, so I'm inclined to believe them.

Have fun finding it too!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

He has the second highest levelled Pokemon in the series, beaten only by HGSS Red.

...after defeating the E4 20 times. Funnily enough I've never done that. But yeah, Barry is great.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You always get another chance to catch Shadow Pokemon. The Johto starters specifically are ones you're able to get all throughout the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Since people bring them over en masse from the Gen V games, I think it'll be quicker than you expect. I mean, I've got five Genesect just sitting in my B2 game, at least three are shiny! And I know where at least two came from!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Has anything happened/been announced in the last few weeks that I ought to put in the Current Events section at the top of the OP? I've not been paying that much attention.

Well there's currently a Charizard event that nets you the opposite Mega Stone depending on which version you have. That's Japanese only. Then there's a Darkrai being released next month in tandem with the movie out in July. That's Japanese only.

Nothing for NA or EU, though, why would there be? :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

1. My Pokemon play history has gone Red -> Platinum -> X, so while the list of new Gen 6 stuff is nice to have, I have no idea what got changed in Gen 5. Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

156 new Pokemon, updated graphics and better online features. Nothing groundbreaking like the Phys/Spe split, or the new Fairy type, just improving on the Gen IV games.

quote:

2. I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to bring my Platinum crew over to X, since that would require me grabbing a copy of a Gen 5 game just to move them. How far along would I have to play in Black/White to be able to transfer my Gen 4 Pokemon to that cart, and then subsequently transfer them to Gen 6?

You have to complete the main story and the minigame to get them over takes time. Quite a few Pokemon from Gen IV can be found in combination with Gen V + VI, so transferring might not be necessary. Get either Black 2 or White 2, but to get the full story (ha!) you can also get Black or White. You can transfer to Gen VI as soon as the first badge using Pokebank, it's much simpler.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

.TakaM posted:

I would only consider using Shedinja in doubles battles after Skill Swapping Sturdy on to it.

Just give it a Focus Sash so it can survive a hit. Not weather, or hazards, but a single attack at least.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Everything from Gen III on uses the same mechanics to calculate all that number jazz, so yeah, it'll remain the same. It's only in Gen I and II everything was so different that nothing could be brought forward as it was so incompatible. Send 'em all through.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I ain't seeing no one talk about Gliscor. That just ain't right. Besides, all of the evolutions are equally great, so no one's right! :v: (cheap option)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Japan will most likely get Diancie around when its movie releases in July. The dubbed version should come a few months after, so expect one around October at least (based on Movie 16).

No Darkrai for you though, that's just silly.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Why would you use Scald when Volcanion gets Steam Eruption. :getin:

Steam Eruption only has 5PP and 95 accuracy, which will never come into play. Nope. Never. But 110BP is hard to argue against.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Of course, when the movie is released this July, you'll be able to download a Level 50 Diancie with Diamond Storm, Reflect, Moonblast and Return. It holds a Normal Gem. :v:

When the movie is dubbed and released around October or so (based off of how quick last year's movie was dubbed) will result in around the same event, but distributed over Wi-Fi instead of downloading from your local theater.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Definitely in Sinnoh, where you have to see everything. Maybe in Sevii, but as far as I remember not in Kanto itself and then postgame trainers for all Gen V games. There are also a few trainers in the Tower/Hollow that have them.

The Breeders of some games also use Happiny, which also give off a lot of experience.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Considering the Latis just appeared in the Dreamyard just last game, it's a bit strange to have them appear in the next game after, but it's been done before. Interesting how they're actually found in game, probably holding their stones, like the Soul Dew, or something.

It'd make sense for them to also appear alongside Zygarde and Volcanion for the next movie, with the final movie (depending on how long this gen is) being Hoopa + Mewtwo XY. Hell, the Latis could be to promote Gen III remakes/sequels/whatever, but it's all speculation.

The next games should be announced sometime this year, since B2/W2 were announced four months before their release, it's possible for them to shove one our this year, but most likely an announcement for next year.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As far as Nintendo is concerned, it's always Charizard week. Call me back when it's Blastoise/Venusaur week. :sigh:

I do love me some CharY action though, goddamn <3

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:hawaaaafap:

It's finally happening. I can't believe it.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've played pretty much every Pokemon game since the age of 4. I've enjoyed all of them and looking forward to an improved 3D world of Hoenn. Doesn't matter, new games/region will probably coming 2015 anyway, so this is a nice step on the Gen VI ladder.

Also :vince:

• Locked thread