Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

culdesac posted:

kinda thinking about getting a venue 8 pro. If I were a cheapass and settled for the 32GB which looks like it will have most of it's space taken up by Windows, would it be easy to make my Steam library and all my programs install and run off a MicroSD seamlessly?

I've always used Steam Mover but I believe Steam offers the option to let you install games in a separate directory. However, not all SD cards are created equal and the class rating is rather useless for gauging performance. Generally you want an SD card with a low class rating because they tend to have better random I/O performance which helps with running programs. Basically any microSD card that is recommended for running Android off of will be useful for what you want to do. I still wouldn't recommend it though and don't expect anything amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

It should be handled as a drive just like in Windows 7 and before. I don't think there is a provision to install Windows Store apps on it but you can install and run desktop applications on it or any other USB mass storage device.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My Venue 8 Pro with 64 GB of storage just arrived. I currently have 34.1 GB free out of 50.3 GB. I imagine that the missing 10 GB or so is dedicated to the recovery data.

First of all, Hi10P H.264 video works phenomenally at 1080p when using stock CCCP. The same videos don't play nearly as well on my stock 2013 Nexus 7 using MX Player. The video lags during high video activity but it's not so slow that a modest overclock couldn't remedy the problem. In any case, it looks like Bay Train does indeed have sufficient power to watch just about any anime fansubs in spite of their uncommon format and implementation.

Second, USB OTG works although it appears that 2.5" portable hard drives won't function without an additional power connection. Also, it seems that the USB port is strictly for charging and USB hosting. In that case, I would highly recommend anyone who gets this to also get a USB OTG adapter and a capacious thumb drive for getting data between computers without a local network.

Curiously, it appears that it will only charge with the supplied USB cable and can't even charge from a USB port on a computer. That fact is rather worrying because that means I have to carry that cable around if I ever want to charge the tablet and is one more thing I could lose. Plus, the cable looks like almost any other ordinary USB to microUSB cable so I'm sure it could get lost or confused as a normal cable and it puzzles me how and why exactly the tablet is picky about what cable its charging from.

Also, SlimPort adapters will not work. I don't have an MHL adapter but I have my doubts that it would work.

The screen is really nice despite being 1280x800. Though given all the scaling issues Windows 8 has, perhaps it's for the best. It's not nearly as sharp as my Nexus 7 but at least the desktop applications are of a decent size. However, Dell's cover for the tablet will not turn the screen off when you cover the screen with it.

The pen is a little weird to use since I've never used an active digitized pen before. It's nice for picking out stuff on the desktop. Regrettably, the pen's performance on OneNote is as bad as Let Them Eat Cake said. Fortunately, I only bought this for fooling around with but I concur that I would not use this if you needed good pen support on OneNote. Hopefully, the issue could be fixed with a driver or firmware update because it would be nice to have if my job required something like it or if I went back to school. On the other hand, I find that the touch performance is just fine as it is but then again I've only used it for a few hours.

Still, overall I'm happy with the Venue 8 Pro. Far better than the MSI WindPad that I got to fool around with the Windows 8 Beta. I don't even know what to do with that junker because it's so big, hot, and slow. When compared to the Nexus 7, it's a harder call. The Nexus 7 has far fewer quirks like the charging cable but just having full fledged Windows at your fingertips makes the Venue 8 Pro just as compelling despite those quirks.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

It's not the cable that's the problem. It wants a 10W/2.1A power source like the AC adapter included with the Venue. Any USB cable will work with that and it should also charge with any "iPad Compatible" adapter.

Except that as long as I used that cable, the Venue 8 Pro could charge (or at least indicate that it was charging) from just about any AC adapter including the ones I use for my phones. It would refuse to charge if I connected it to the supplied AC adapter with any other USB cable. :iiam:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I just installed the update and it writes much better now. At first it didn't seem to help much because there was still a little amount delay in pen tracking leading to lines being drawn after you started writing and stopping after you finished while still following the pen. However once I started to treat it as a regular pen and pad (instead of hovering over the screen and lightly writing on the screen as you would with a capacitive pen), the writing experience became much better. Palm rejection works, the writing was pretty accurate, and delayed writing was almost gone. It's accurate enough that I could write down parallelogram equations and beam deflection formulas with acceptable results.

A little more practice and I could get the pressure sensitivity down and write parenthesis better. Speaking of pressure, the screen will distort when you apply heavy pressure especially towards the center. Apparently Dell didn't use a thick enough glass because I had to apply considerably more pressure to get the same effect on my Lumia 920. So take care so as to not push too hard and break the screen.

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized that I missed a bracket. :doh:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 19, 2013

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I wouldn't call the Venue 8 Pro a 1:1 replacement for the Nexus 7. In a portrait layout, the Venue is a good 1/2" wider, 3/4" taller, and no more than 1/32" thicker than my 2013 Nexus 7. Don't expect to shove this thing into your pockets (pants or jacket) especially with the folio cover and digitizer.

Also, you must have mistaken the fan vents for speaker grilles or something because the Venue 8 Pro has no active cooling.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Let Them Eat Cake posted:

(I remember seeing an option for this on the Venue 8 Pro.)

If you mean the seamless disc encryption, then yes. The Venue 8 Pro comes encrypted by default.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So how exactly are you supposed to control your tablet while using Miracast? I can't seem to duplicate the screens which would have been ideal for using the touchscreen. If I set the Miracast display as the only display, the touchscreen will work but without any visual feedback. The digitizer will also work and the cursor will show up when you hover above the screen but that's still far from ideal. I guess I have to plug in a mouse as it's the only way to use the extended display setup but that's far from ideal with the lag from using Miracast.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

system protocol posted:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CFWRk7AodyEsAUw

Anyone who wants a Dell Venue 8 at a decent price with a free man purse thrown in, now is the time!

Man purses are for wimps. Real men shove medium-sized tablets into the back of their pants. :colbert: Not the back pockets; you shove them into the waistband and let your back and belt keep it in. (A belt and undershirt is recommended.) Like an inner waistband holster for a handgun.

Actually, I would like for there to be a holster or caddy so that I don't have to worry about messing up the finish on the tablet or folio cover, the tablet sliding too far down my pants, and pulling out my waistband to make room for the tablet to make it easier to put away. Just need to figure out what to make it out of or what to repurpose.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The last thing I want on my tablet is my rear end, I'll just hold the tablet or store it in my backpack.

I have my tablet sitting at and above the belt line and why I want a holster to keep it that height. That way you won't sit on and it sits up against your lower back. With a loose outer shirt, the tablet won't print.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

If you have the digitizer pen, install the updated firmware pronto. The pen's accuracy is rather poor without the update.

Also if you got the folio cover, take care when taking the tablet out. I managed to mar the rubberized edge when I took mine out once to install the microSD card since the cover blocks the slot.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I just lost the tip of the stylus for my Venue 8 Pro making there stylus effectively useless. It's so small and I remembered the pen snagging on my shirt a few times today at work means it is very unlikely that I'll recover it. There aren't any replacement tips available yet and a replacement pen is $30. :negative: There are apparently plans for Dell to sell a pack of replacement tips which will hopefully cheaper than the stylus. I don't use the pen very much so I can wait for the replacement pack.

So anyone who has the stylus should be aware that the tip can come out and should take that in mind when handling the stylus.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

As long as it's running Windows 8 and not RT. Even so, I still love my Venue 8 Pro and I have no significant issues with the hardware. Still, a higher resolution screen and more ports would be nice. A built-in kickstand and smaller keyboard cover like the rest of the Surface line would be neat to have. While the keyboard cover at that size would be too small for extensive typing, it beats typing with the touchscreen while the tablet is propped up (sometimes a single press would register as multiple hits) and a touchpad would help make navigating the desktop a lot easier. It would be even more interesting if it used the same connecter as the other larger covers as well for a more comfortable typing experience or to use other specialized covers like the DJ pad.

Also, I was able to find the tip to the stylus so crisis averted. Although now I keep the stylus stowed in my coat pocket along with a ballpoint pen so I won't be as likely lose the tip and the stylus didn't come with any spare tips.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Isn't it a size factor thing? I saw a video of them cracking open a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it looks like a standard SSD would be half the size of the motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AMRy4di0s

Do you mean as in a 2.5" drive? Those won't fit for sure but most devices this small tend to use SSDs with an mSATA slot in a Mini PCI Express form factor if they opt for a replaceable SSD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express_Mini_Card#Mini_PCI_Express_.26_mSATA

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Oz posted:

Unrelated, but some of you might be interested in a $38 7 inch Android tablet

http://ubislate.us/

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/16/a-full-featured-38-tablet-is-coming-to-the-u-s/

It's not a powerhouse by any measurement, but for that price it might be a good tablet to gently caress around with or to give as an affordable gift.

The Android tablet thread is over here where it belongs:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482

This really has no relevance in the Windows 8.1 tablet thread. And if you can't afford even the 2012 Nexus 7 or Nook HD, then I'd reconsider your career or how you manage your finances.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Just read the article.

quote:

The $38 UbiSlate 7Ci tablet, running on Google’s Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system, features a 1-gigahertz , single-core processor (the sort of CPU found in the first-generation iPad introduced in 2010). Just 4 gigabytes of storage is built in, although microSD card slots are included for those looking for more space to store apps and media. The 7-inch display offers a resolution of 800×480 pixels, which is a far cry from the HD displays found on Apple’s iPads, Amazon’s Kindle Fire’s and Google’s Nexus devices.

It may be adequate for the price in India but it's absolute poo poo for anyone in a first world country that has a disposable income. I don't think even the performance optimizations in Kit-Kat would improve how well Android will run on that thing. I'm also worried about the lack of any specific mention of Google Play.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

Just put VLC on your tablet. It doesn't have a Metro interface (yet) but it plays literally everything. I spent so long fretting over media players before just saying gently caress it and using the same drat thing I use on my desktop.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema and the CCCP codec pack will also play 1080p 10-bit H.264 videos just fine on Bay Trail tablets.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

What do you mean by "decent performance"?

You can do multiple monitors using displayport daisy chaining, but if you're talking about USB video adapters or something, it's going to be ok for desktop stuff, but not good for anything else. If they come with a Surface Pro with thunderbolt 2 or something, might be a different story.

Even then, the whole setup and drivers will have to be hacked together since Intel doesn't support using Thunderbolt for external graphics. That isn't to say that it'll be impossible but it won't be a very elegant product unless someone or some company puts a lot of time and polish into it.

I'd love to have an external graphics card for an ultrabook or tablet since I feel gaming laptops compromise too much on weight and battery life while just being able to play just about every video game at maximum settings at its native resolution. What I would really like is, in addition to a desktop docking station with a high end or user-replaceable graphics card, a keyboard dock for a tablet that includes both a graphics card and battery. That way, heat from the CPU and GPU are removed separately and the keyboard battery can feed the GPU without initially drawing from the tablet's own battery. If only some could make something like that. :allears:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I don't know if this is a Windows 8 problem or a problem specific to the Venue 8 Pro but most of my metro Windows Store apps are crashing whenever I run them even though the live tiles appear to still be functioning. When I select the tile to run them, the splash screen shows up for a few seconds before dropping me back to the start screen.

The few apps that do work aren't fully functional. Internet Explorer for instance no longer stores log in information beyond after leaving websites that request them and flash has stopped functioning. What's bizarre is that the desktop version of Internet Explorer is still functioning like normal with the functions I previously mentioned working properly. The few desktop programs I have installed seem to work as normal. And this seems to be specific to my Venue 8 Pro. My desktop running Windows 8 is running fine and all the store apps are working properly.

I've already performed a refresh recovery but it still didn't fix the problem. I want to perform a full clean recovery but it seems that it'll break the bitlocker encryption which I would like to keep. How do I perform a factory reset while keeping bitlocker? Is there anything that I missed that could fix this? Or should I just RMA it?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So my problem with flash in the Internet Explorer app was fixed with a recently released Windows update. It still doesn't fix my app crashing problems though. I did find a diagnostics program which is picking up problems but there is only so much I can do at work tethering off of my smartphone.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So, I figured out how to perform a complete factory reset (despite the fact that the recovery utility running in a landscape layout while being shown on the screen in the portrait position resulting in the sides getting lopped off) and everything is working now.

Before I gave up, the utility was saying that the display driver was out of date even after I updated everything which was a somewhat common occurrence with this type of problem. It also turns out that anti-viruses could be the cause of the issue and that a cleaning program has to be run to completely remove McAfee. Apparently, uninstalling it won't completely get rid of it. While that didn't fix the problem of most of my apps crashing or not working properly, I did give the cleaning program a run after the factory reset before connecting the tablet to my WiFi. Hopefully, this problem won't rear its ugly head again.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

I don't remember if I linked it here, but this is seriously the best case to get for the DV8P. Slim, protects corners, multiple angles, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKLAYG

I got one of these myself too and it's so much better than Dell folio cover. In addition to what you said, you can put it on and and take it off without having to worry about marring the edges of the tablet (in addition to being a lot easier to do) and the microSD slot is accessible with the cover on.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Droid Washington posted:

Does anyone have the official Dell Folio Case for the V8P? It looks like cases and accessories in general are very difficult to find with Windows tablets. I'm looking for something that will sit up in a bed so I can watch videos when falling asleep, and will let me pack it in a backpack to stay protected. Also a plus is a slanted mode to allow for typing notes.

I got one bundled with my Venue Pro and I don't really like it. It makes the whole tablet rather thick and it's somewhat difficult take off due to the plastic shell the tablet fits in. The shell also blocks the microSD slot and I've scuffed the rubberized edges of the tablet while trying to take it off to get to the slot. When propped up, rubber skid pads are the only thing that keeps the tablet up and doesn't do a very good job of keeping that position. Particularly when you have the tablet on an uneven surface. When one of the rubber pads sheared off of the case, I had enough.

I ended up getting this case.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKLAYG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While it ends up being just as thick as the Dell case, it's much easier to put on and take off since it's being held in place with six cloth lined tabs which won't damage the edges. Only the two mid-line tabs pulls the tablet into the case while the four corner tabs keeps the case from sliding about. In addition, the microSD slot is accessible and the cover lid had a locking tab that keeps the cover closed without making to too difficult to open. When propped up, there are two slots the tablet can sit in for a more secure viewing position.

Overall, I like it much more than the Dell cover despite not having a way to secure the pen. Although after almost losing the tip of the pen while it was attached to the Dell cover, I now keep the pen in my coat pocket so as to not lose the tip again.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Does anyone know of any X86 Tablets (Windows 8 not required) that are under 8 inches? I'm looking into trying to make a Steam version of a PS Vita. I considered buying a Vita until I realized every single Vita game I'm interested in I already own on Steam and several of them even run on Steam Linux.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any X86 tablets in the 3.5-5 in size range. I'd love to take one of those an attach some kind of controller wired/Bluetooth/Logitech and make my own Steam Gameboy.

There isn't anything new in that size range right now. There were UMPCs starting from 2006 that can have a screen size of 5" to 7" and originally shipped with Windows XP Tablet PC edition but usually had a resolution of 800x480, were running old Intel, VIA, AMD, or even Transmetta processors (some of which predates the Intel Atom processor) 256 MB to 2 GB of RAM, and a 30 to 160 GB hard drive. While I'm sure Windows 8 would work better on those than Windows XP, the screen resolution, limited and probably un-upgradeable RAM, and hard drive would make it a novelty at best and I doubt Steam Linux would be that much better. Plus, I don't know how well Windows 8 would scale on a sub-7" screen.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

They're talking about the dock now, nothing about Lightning or anything else that could hook up an external video card. Ah well :sigh:

Do you mean Thunderbolt? Not that it matters because Intel doesn't officially support using Thunderbolt for external video cards. Sure you can scrap together various adapter cards and muck around with driver hacks but it'll be far from elegant, seamless, or portable. Still, I would have liked an alternative to a gaming laptop especially if I can still use and carry it like a general purpose laptop/tablet.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Also be careful how you put the plug in because the port is rectangular so it's possible to put the plug in the wrong way. I've done that a few times myself and bent the tongue such that it won't go in the right way anymore. I was able to fix it using a flat head screwdriver but I'm afraid that the tongue will break off for good if this keeps on happening. Stupid Dell. :argh:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

You're in the wrong thread, the metro version of Xbox Music works pretty well.

Which makes you wonder how in the hell they screwed up the Windows Phone version so badly. So much for Universal apps.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

I believe it's one of the newer revisions, but I can't tell.

I believe the pen tips on the newer revisions aren't (supposed to be) removable. I know because I almost lost the tip to my Rev 1 pen and what immediately stood out to me on the Rev 2 pen was that the tip wasn't removable or at least not easily.

While we're on the topic of problems with the Venue 8 Pro, I may be having an issue that is cropping up again. Some months ago, playing videos (online flash and local) on my V8P would be a stuttering affair rendering the videos unwatchable. At first I thought it was a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth issue since I use a Bluetooth headphones to listen and it only affected flash videos at first. I updated the drivers and BIOS and found using wired headphones helped but the problem eventually affected my ability to watch local videos no matter what video player I used. I ended up performing a factory reset which fixed the problem.

However now it seems to be back. A cursory online search didn't bring up any answers or any other cases similar to mine. Plus, my one year warranty is almost up so if this is a hardware issue I'll need to act quick. Or just put up with performing a factory reset every six months or so.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Ah dang it, so it's up to Asus to update their firmware or something, nothing I can do myself? Like you say Asus will never do that, their support is shocking!

Well it's not like there is a significant benefit going to a 64-bit OS when they only have 2GB of RAM to begin with.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

And Lenovo is launching another Yoga Tablet 2 8 but this time with AnyPen technology where you can use anything as a stylus. Which is...yeah.

I think it's a pretty neat feature. :shobon: Especially since I never really use the stylus for my Venue 8 Pro (even the new, improved revision) because it's usually buried in my bag and feels awkward to use due to its weight compared to a regular pen or pencil. Although it is a band aid solution to the issue that the Windows desktop doesn't work well with touch controls.

Still for $299, the Yoga 2 has an 8" FHD screen, is rated for 15 hours of battery life, and has a built-in kickstand. Not bad considering I paid about $450 for the Venue with a HD screen and about 8 hours of battery life along with the stylus and cover.

Then again, the Yoga only has a meager 32 GB of storage and only a micro USB and micro SD slot for peripherals. :negative: However, the micro USB port can apparently send out power which can be useful for peripherals that need USB power and charging other devices. Plus from using my Venue with a micro SD card, I know that I will have sufficient room to work with on 32 GB of storage as long as I offload as much data as I can to the micro SD card. So I guess it's a good thing I already have a USB OTG adapter and a 64 GB micro SD card that I can use with the Yoga.

Even if I don't end up using the AnyPen feature much, I think I will get the Yoga 2 when it's available.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Toshiba announced their own tiny tablet/netbook thing like the ASUS T90 Nevermind it's Europe only.

The Click Mini, right?

I was pretty excited since it has a FHD screen and the keyboard and touchpad dock is a better solution to using the Windows desktop than using a stylus. The mini HDMI and full-size USB and SD slot sweetens the deal. It's too bad it's for Europe only. I guess it's more trouble (and money) than its worth to try to import one?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I've been thinking that, since I've been keeping my tablets in my bag recently instead of on myself, I would probably be better off getting a 10" tablet that my bag can accommodate instead of a sub-8" tablet. This would give me more options with high resolution screens, more ports, and keyboard cover options.

With that in mind, I think I'm going to get the Lenovo Yoga 2 10.1" tablet with the keyboard/touchpad cover. Aside from not having full-size ports and internal storage and also needing to manage the power of the Bluetooth keyboard cover, it just about covers all of my requirements and needs. I could probably go to Best Buy right now and buy it or at least try out a display model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Tanith posted:

Is it still using AAAA batteries? I don't even know off hand what they look like.

Basically a shorter, smaller diameter AA or AAA battery. To be more precise, a AAAA battery has a dimension of ⌀7.5 X 40 mm vs ⌀13.7 X 50 mm for a AA.

• Locked thread