Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

The talk about Babylon 5 space battles was enough to finally get me to give it a try. One of my favorite things about BSG were the battles in the pilot, with Adama looking at the 3d radar thing and barking commands about pitch and yaw and poo poo. So much better than in Star Trek where they pilot while staring at what amounts to little more than an HD backup cam from a luxury sedan, and look like they're waiting for just the right moment before yelling "Fire!"

It's a shame that never made it past the BSG pilot though.

They tried to do it a few times though they never really did do that many big fights with the Battlestars themselves so the examples are pretty sparse no matter what. The most obvious example I can think of fairly was nonsensical, in that episode where Lee commands the Pegasus for the first time he orders it to "roll over" so the Basestars can't hit their damaged topside but then still head straight for the nearest Basestar. I guess no one can move up or down but still flip over.

I think the only time they tried to do it again was in the series finale though since they were sitting still that was mostly concerning guns, fighters, and fighting the Cylons in the hallways. Still, like you said, that kind of stuff is quite interesting to hear if you can sell it. I love DS9 but it produced the wackiest "Evasive Manoeuvres" command in the entire series I think. Apparently "Evasive Manoeuvre Pattern Delta" is "Do a loop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

One of the biggest problems with the 2009 movie is it wanted to be both the old aborted "Kirk in the Academy" movie they wanted to do for years, and also the movie where Kirk gets the Enterprise and Star Trek as we know it begins. That just totally doesn't loving work because you have an academy student becoming Captain of the Federation's flagship. Kirk might have been very young for a Starfleet Captain, but he had to have been in the service for at least a decade before getting his own ship.

I'm not going to bother looking it up to get the specifics but I'm pretty sure that in TOS Kirk was the "youngest Star Fleet captain ever" at 30 years old or something.

Everyone looking like a supermodel (except Urban and Pegg) is a really weird perceptual problem for me in JJ Trek. Even if I was willing to accept that Kirk could go from Ensign to Captain in a matter of days, he still doesn't look like anyone I can accept as being in the military, and neither do a lot of the other characters. I mean, I know not every single person in the military looks like Edward James Olmos but every main character you see are just pretty to the point of being distracting. Urban looking like he does is probably a big reason why he was the only main character I really liked from the first JJ Trek (besides acting like an actual adult).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

The balloon Enterprise features prominently in John M. Ford's "How Much For Just The Planet?" which everyone should read because it's a legitimately great Star Trek novel for more reasons than just that.

I remember reading that for the first time when I was a kid and didn't understand comedy. The entire novel seemed so strange because I was waiting for fisticuffs that never came. I do remember enjoying the ending though, where pretty much every bridge offer on the Enterprise and several Klingon soldiers get into a massive pie throwing fight. Then Spock shows up, Kirk asks for a pie, and gets hit by a dozen. I bet if I dug it out and read through it today I'd appreciate it a lot more.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Dude! That is, like, so sad! Aw. I just checked IMDB and it's totally true, he hasn't done a thing since DS9. Even Garrett Wang has been in some stuff in the 21st century. :(

Some people do just get out of acting, you know? I don't want to say DS9 was perhaps a terrible experience for him but maybe it showed that he didn't really want to be a TV or movie actor or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Barlow posted:

It's Troi, due to her love of chocolate. Who is Chuckles on the Neelix thread? Could be Kim due to fear of clowns but that seems way too obscure.

Chakotay. I think Q called him Chuckles once.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

His Wikipedia says he's a stage actor these days when he's not being a photographer.

That's cool, I was just spit-balling possibilities. Mostly what I was saying is that just because IMBD doesn't have someone listed as doing anything after a specific production (and if they aren't stage acting either) doesn't necessarily equal a sad thing. Acting can be a job like any other and sometimes you just don't do a job any more for whatever reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

I liked that STID finally had someone try to knock someone else out of the warp bubble.

I mean like that's the most obvious possible course of action when engaging an enemy at warp.

I'll forgive you for forgetting because Nemesis, but the Enterprise got knocked out of warp by Shinzon as well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watch the interview he did with Shatner for 'The Captains'. Apparently he used to kind of dislike the fact that Picard and Star Trek had become his career milestone, but has since grown to enjoy it more. I mean you could do a lot worse.

Isn't this basically the same path Shatner followed? At least I think he used to hugely dislike being only associated with Kirk then just went "gently caress it" and rolled with it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Those Homeworld ships are not ugly. :colbert:

They're beautifully ugly!

If you think the Enterprise-D is a space whale of a ship the Kushan Heavy Cruiser is the best space whale there is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Apple Jax posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but have we posted about that stupid Star Trek: Renegades trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZPbX2x3Ug

It looks terrible. Production and makeup look great, but I hate how super dark and gritty it looks. It looks so hamfisted that I want to barf. It's neat that Walter Koenig, Tim Russ and a few others are in it, but this really doesn't do anything for me.

I'm also just bitter about actual actors using Kickstarter recently, they're already established actors with connections in the business. Kickstarter is supposed to be for the little guy who has no chance of doing a project otherwise.

Also, also their logo looks like an angsty high school rear end in a top hat designed it:

The people who run Kickstarter has said more than a few times that all these "bigger" projects (with a few exceptions, single millions isn't a whole lot for the projects that got them) appearing and succeeding has actually helped out the little guy because its been driving more and more people to browsing Kickstarter, not taking money away from smaller projects.

Otherwise, eh. Most fan films that put in actual effort are pretty hard to judge until they actually come out. It does seem like this one is at least trying to look/sound good, even if its trying to be Firefly: Star Trek Edition.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

I have not DS9ed. I believe that is all that is left in this dark, cold and endless void. I have seen a bit and thought it was drawn out and no pew-pew and about silly thing. I may have been wrong, very wrong. Is it truly the word of the spergmasters that I should continue my training there?

In a word, yes. If you can watch the first two seasons of TNG and not accuse it of being drawn out and silly, DS9 won't phase you at all.

Also :lol: at no pew-pew in DS9. You have no idea!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

Nope, you also disagreed. As did others, but the difference is I think 1st AD is a dick and don't wish to hear him anymore.

Yeah, it's not the disagreeing that's lame.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zophar posted:

Counterpoint, Our Man Bashir is in the Top 10.

As is The Wire (again co-starring with Garak but still).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I like how once Kira does realize it works, not a single person suggests, I don't know.. going back to Dukat's deal with the Dominion and sticking a bomb on his ship.

Temporal Prime Directive, man! You're only allowed to put bombs on the ships of foreign dignitaries in the present.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

edit: this mass effect is actually the basis for much of the technology in Mass Effect. Yep, a video game by EA has better scifi than JJ Trek. It's been a long time since I nerded out with video games, but I do remember the bible or journal or whatever in Mass Effect, that would have amazing voiced descriptions of the technology and details of the galaxy and ideas.. blew modern Trek outa the park.

While Mass Effect did have a fairly in-depth codex covering a bunch of the technology and other things, none of it was ever really shown to work like that in the game itself because realism is boring unless you present it really well. Biggest example I can think of is they make a pretty big deal about how their capital ships really shouldn't fire their 50 kiloton explosion railgun projectiles at a ship with a planet behind them (or really fire at all if you aren't sure you're going to hit) but throughout the third game they gleefully show entire fleets of ships firing and missing other ships with the planet the first group is supposed to be protecting right behind the second.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Oh great the entire Enterprise is waiting for death, this isn't a downer at all!

Also Colm Meany has been in some great poo poo, he was great in Intermission.

More recently, he also plays an on-again, off-again villain in AMC's Hell on Wheels (mostly villain, but sometimes a necessary one). The writing is a bit uneven in what to actually do with its characters but they all do good with what they're given, especially him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I finally got to the part of DS9 where Odo is so busy having weird changeling sex that everyone's plans go completely to poo poo until the last minute, when an almost literal deus ex machina is called out of the wormhole to clean everything up.

It was a really fun run of episodes at the beginning of season 6, but I can't help but feel the ending was just a bit of a copout to get everything back to business as usual. We'll see, I guess.

It felt like a cop-out to me the first time I saw it but when you think about it it simply had to be part of a larger overall arc. Rom succeeded, just a second too late. It would have been even simpler to have Rom finish his sabotage on time. Plus the Prophets are at least an established part, if not a well developed part, of the series. I don't think they pulled it off as well as they could have, mostly because of the Prophets being fairly bit players for the entire series, but it couldn't have been something to get the writers out of a corner because there were more than a few other ways to get out of the "corner."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

I never thought he was that bad of an actor. In the first couple seasons he's youthful and idealistic and full of energy, like a puppy, or a kid away at summer camp. In contrast to the more experienced and jaded characters, his attitude would stick out naturally.

Yes, that episode where he got possessed was terrible, but I still argue that the character didn't have that much range yet, so the only place he could take it was over the top villain campy.

Alexander Siddig hasn't exactly had the most prolific acting career but in a few of his films you can see that he definitely has tons of ability. He also deliberately under-acted in some of the seasons of DS9 where he was a genetic superman as a protest against the character direction.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dude's been showing up and rapping for nearly every single review. It's amazing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

I just met the Klingon chef. Melora, it wasn't bad. S2 is certainly getting a thing going. People are willfully paying for Klingon food though? I remember Riker in that frankly awesome TNG ep doing his duty, but poo poo mang, dem be worms and it doesn't matter how much Yamok sauce you put on em.

Well there's your problem. Cardassian condiments are without honor. They don't belong anywhere near Klingon food.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Otisburg posted:

Also a stuntperson getting a big ol knot on their forehead or a black eye or worse won't gently caress up shooting as bad as it would the actor. You've only got one Patrick Stewart to shoot around for the close up dialogue scenes, but you can put a bald cap on practically any motherfucker for a two second medium shot of him jumping behind a rock or whatever.

It's also a matter of paying the actors. If a ton of the stunts that are going to be shot happen after a cut, you can shoot all those separately from the scenes the "real" actors are in and don't have to pay nearly as much to have them on set.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought main cast (i.e. the people who get their names in the title cards) got paid basically no matter what? Or is that just like the stars (i.e. Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Spiner)?

Because my impression is that, 60s TV values aside, Shatner had to be used a lot so they got their money's worth out of the contractually obligated $5000 per episode.

EDIT: Or at least, I thought once any of the main cast were in an episode, they were paid fully for that episode, regardless of how many lines or scenes they had.

Could be, I have exactly 0 experience on TV/movie production. It was something I read and I'm perhaps misinterpreting that point. Maybe when you have the stars on set you need to have more crew around or something. In any case, the point is that most of the time productions will pretty much never use the stars for a shoot unless they have to. If there's scene where you don't see a face, there's a good chance its a double.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus :stare:

Well, good thing he ended up on DS9 where he never wants for people bugging him to do and fix mundane poo poo :buddy:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kelvron posted:

Avery Brooks on The Sisko. From the DS9 Season 7 extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeCHYNyWPA

A new year is coming soon, I hope we get some good news.

You know I've seen this video before and I've always wondered why exactly he thought he needed to leave before the seventh season before deciding to "endure" the rest of it. If it was simply hard work, if he had other projects he wanted to do, or if there were some things going on behind the scenes that he didn't quite like. I suppose it could also be that Brooks seems to use very colourful and descriptive words to describe things so "endure" to him may mean something different than it does to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

I would pay to see Beltran's reaction when they gave him the 'magical native Americans' episode. Probably threw over the water cooler, cursed the gods, then checked his online bank account, sighed, and went to rehearsal.

The medicine wheel/vision quest stuff also probably raised his blood pressure to dangerous levels.

Out loud it was probably professional. Inwardly it was probably something like this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Delsaber posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Echoes From The Past, specifically the Sega Genesis version.

It struck a pretty decent balance between the relatively feature-rich PC games of the time and the technical limitations of the console hardware. It wasn't exactly pretty, and the controls were often kind of terrible, but it still had an oddly large world to explore (you could punch in coordinates to just about any planet in the sector and go visiting, even if there was nothing to see there) and a surprising amount of resource management. Damage taken to various systems in battle would require assigning engineering teams for repairs, otherwise your viewscreen would go all fuzzy, you'd lose your warp capability, all kinds of stuff. I think I prefer that to the usual power level adjustments in other Trek games, personally.

You could also talk your way out of most fights, and a ton of viewscreen conversations had dialogue trees. Or you could just go in guns blazing without answering hails at all and get scolded for it in the ready room afterwards.

There was some solid puzzle gameplay on the ground as well, with a good selection of crew for away teams. More attention to detail here: Geordi and Data see differently from the others when you play as them, sometimes seeing special items and stuff. And if you lost too many people to horta attacks or whatever you'd eventually give Picard enough headaches for a game over. :v:

For whatever reason, the SNES version was called Future's Past and wasn't as good. I could be misremembering, but I think it stripped out a bunch of features, particularly the dialogue options, forcing the player to rely more on combat. That janky-rear end combat. The ground maps were also different, arcadey health pickups were added, the music was no longer powered by the kickin' rad Genesis soundchip (I'd kill for a few tracks on YouTube without the nasal LP commentary), and perhaps most inexplicably, the Vulcan scientist at the beginning went from a T'Pau to a T'Pol. So that was weird.

Give it a spin if you can. This and the Deep Space Nine game get overlooked a lot, perhaps rightfully so in some ways, but the good stuff generally outweighs the bad. I think I'd rather dig my Genesis out of the closet and give Echoes another run than play any of the modern Trek games at this point.

I remember renting this game every other week when I was a kid and Blockbuster still existed. I never actually figured anything out and I'm pretty sure I only ever was able to complete the first mission or two but I sure remember loving going around and blasting ships in that weird top down thing until I ran out of torpedoes or died and had to restart because I had no idea Starbases or damage repair existed. I also recall not being able to figure out how to exit the battle screen when the other ship was surrendering so I always just had to kill them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Heh, I did the same thing back then. That and Phantasy Star IV were my go-to rentals, though unlike PSIV I never managed to beat Echoes. I'd just end up sending wave after wave of officers and redshirts against the hortas until they all died. As for the starbase, the game made no effort to make its existence known to the player. I can't remember if it's even listed as a starbase in the navigation or if you have to get lucky and accidentally fly to the planet it's orbiting. I don't think the manual mentioned it either, so I guess they really wanted people buying those strategy guides.

I think the manual mentioned they existed but made no effort to tell you were they were so you just had to fly around randomly until you found one. Which quickly turned into a problem because apparently Romulan ships are all over the Federation just itching to shoot the Enterprise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trent posted:

I really, really liked that first Vorta. What ever happened to their telekinetic whoopdeedoos?

We don't talk about it with outsiders.

Actually I think the staff decided that wasn't really what they wanted to do with the Vorta and just hoped everyone forgot about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phy posted:

I hope when he was sworn in he got O'Reilly to stand off to the side and go "Glory to you..." :stare: "and your houuuuse"

Hey now, we've got an actual emote for that :gowron:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Odo's faults are him discovering who he is and what he wants. So he's the superior "different" character. Though he's still an OCD goony goon.

And one with the power to bug and/or sneak into (as a chair) anybody's quarters, businesses, and ships at will with no oversight apparently.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

What's this about the Emmy-Award-Winning episode Threshold? The Voyager episode so great it won an Emmy over DS9's "The Visitor."

For make-up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tighclops posted:

I always thought it was hilarious how they hastily released a re-edited version of that teaser with Sisko's name added back in when fans bitched online. I wonder if that might have been the only time that fan outrage genuinely affected the show.

Considering how it looks when you forget to add in the only not-white captain you had in the series I'd say the "bitching" was completely warranted. In the same vein of things but something totally nitpicky, not worth complaining about, and also not Star Trek, Rockstar released a trailer for Max Payne 3 that described the Colt 1911 as an "old favorite" despite not ever appearing in the series before #3, fans quickly reminded them of this and they changed it to an "old classic."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

poo poo, I'd love a season or two of Star Trek: The Wire set on DS9, with Odo investigating a criminal organisation like the Orion Syndicate on Deep Space Nine.

Considering how Odo operates it'd be over in about two episodes when Odo plants a completely unauthorized bug (or just hangs around suspects as a bug) until he hears something incriminating and then throws them in the brig and smugly Harumphs at them all day.

Edit: And you know, even if you don't like the conclusion to Tribunal it provides some interesting bits and pieces about Cardassia and I think that's one of the best parts about DS9. Even the worst episodes almost always have at least something to like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said "almost" :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm probably reading far too much into it but I think one of the few times you see Jadzia's actual personality, perhaps that one that Curzon knocked out of her during her Trill Training or whatever, was during the sixth season, in "You Are Cordially Invited."

While she could occasionally be that kind of annoying, sassy type, in "Invited" she turns down right vindictive and petty. Not to mention the fact that despite apparently being her own kind of Klingon fangirl like Worf she does everything she can to sabotage her own wedding. Yeah, I'm sure noticing that the entire house is descended from some other noble's concubine and skipping the ceremonies you agreed to do to party is really going to be accepted graciously. The only reason to do something like that is be all :smug: about it, prove that you're better. All because she doesn't want to humble herself just a little bit and do some traditions. Then she gets some sense talked into her by Sisko and it really does feel like that's Jadzia and Sisko talking, not Curzon and Sisko or something.

And these are the latest, greatest thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Man just got done watching Once More Unto the Breach. This episode was awesome, are there any more alien-centric episodes like this one?

If you mean episodes where most of the cast aren't main characters and the plot revolves around them, then looking at wikipedia... no. Three might count in that the main plot is about the more alien members of the main cast (ie. not human and not Bajor) but nothing like Once More Unto the Breach again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Way of the Warrior is the best post-TOS movie, accept no substitutes :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gonz posted:

Who wants a Terok Nor wall clock with convoluted viewing angles?

http://technabob.com/blog/2014/02/03/star-trek-deep-space-nine-clock/

Wouldn't it turn into Empok Nor as soon as you hang it on a wall? :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

Mm, ok, I guess in every era you could cherry pick examples.

I though Eastwood would have been a big hero in the 60s.

Anyways, part of the appeal of noir is that the male lead is usually a man grown, and everything that goes along with that.

The most popular stuff of every year, of every day, is almost always the kind of thing you imagine 13 year old girls would enjoy (that everyone else also secretly enjoys :ssh: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It sounds sciency

I bet the guy who invented them just really liked the light effect they give off.

• Locked thread