Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
You could try using logcat to find out the URL of the update and download it with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

dahkren posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my phone that I'm too stupid to figure out, and googling just brings up custom keyboard stuff.

Basically, the button popout (when you press a key and the letter pops out to show what your pressing) and the predictive words above the keyboard have turned from blue to grey. This isn't really a big deal, actually I kind of prefer it, but I have no idea how this changed (happened after a reboot) or how to change it back. Phone is a galaxy nexus. Has anyone experienced this or knows how to change the color of the popout/predictive text?

It's not a problem Google changed it in the latest update

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

big mean giraffe posted:

The neoprene sleeve my nexus one came with not only wore the paint off the sides, but did nothing to protect it when it was in my hands if I dropped it.

Ah yes, the one time I dropped my Nexus One was a day or so before the case arrived, and it was in the neoprene sleeve. Stupid open end.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

the nicker posted:

I'm pretty sure there is now. When I had auto backup turned on I kept getting spammed with prompts to enable that feature (to view the photos from drive). I've got it turned off now though because I hate auto backup. Why does it upload every picture even if I delete it 2 seconds after taking it? Super loving annoying.
It's the other way round, you can view photos stored on G Drive in G+

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I just threw mine in a good old S Line TPU case (with freebie dry apply screen protector). No complaints, as per usual... I like them as they cost gently caress all, protect the phone and have handy grippy sides.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ShaneB posted:

It's still annoying compared to CyanogenMod where it was location based... far right was the info menu, everywhere else was notifications. You could do it with one finger.

Or, CyanogenMod's default is annoying...

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

You can switch between one/two finger and left/right drag.

Note also that the left/right thing is actually part of AOSP: that's how tablets work.

I know you can, I just don't like that behaviour on a phone as being right handed I tend to pull down the shade with my right thumb and generally want notifications rather than the tiles.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

friendly gentleman posted:

I know this is kind N5 chat right now but I'm in Verizon so I gotta interrupt.

I just picked up the LG G2 - coming from a Verizon GNex. My GNex was my first Android device so I really only know clean, stock, Android. I'm banking on an active dev community for the G2, should this be the case as it's close cousins with the N5?

Knock yourself out: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=vs980

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
That is loving priceless.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
For the 8GB, yes. $199 for 16GB.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Benjamin Black posted:

This is not only going to be my first Android, but my first smartphone. So I gotta know - should I root this phone? Is it even possible yet? And if I did somehow brick it, would I be able to warranty it (even if it's supposed to void the warranty, I'm not above lying about it).
Even if you don't root it right away, if you think that you will in the future, the first thing you should do is unlock the bootloader (fastboot oem unlock) because doing so wipes the phone.

Chances of actually bricking it are very slim though, unless you do something gormless like flash a ROM meant for another phone and end up overwriting something important.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

it takes a lot to scratch glass.
It really doesn't. A tiny bit of sand or grit can easily scratch it, unfortunately.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Does it have the same problem with other documents?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

peepsalot posted:

My phone is experiencing an epoch fail. Clock reset to Jan 1 1970 today. I'm pretty sure its all configured to get the time from the service provider(t-mobile), so maybe their tower's config got borked somehow. Just wondering if there's any possibility that its a config/software issue on my phone itself (Nexus 4).

e: well I suppose I should have done this before I posted, but I just checked my settings and somehow the checkbox to grab time from the network got turned off. I'm sure it was selected before, it seems to have flipped on its own. :iiam:
Have you been clearing the data for Google Services Framework in the hire if triggering an update by any chance?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

klockwerk posted:

Anyone bought a car dock for their Nexus 5 yet? Any suggestions?
I have a universal mount that resembles a large bulldog clip, used it for a few phones now and it's pretty nifty.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Civil posted:

Ugh, just confirmed that the Nexus 5 has a hosed up bluetooth implementation.

I got a LG Tone 730 headset and paired it up to my N5. It either shoots the volume all the way to the top, where it sticks, or it fixes the volume between the headset and the phone, so that the headset volume controls control the on-device volume. And volume down all the way is super loud.

I was gonna blame the headset, but it worked fine on a GS3, a 2013 n7 (4.3), a nexus 4 (4.3), and an iPhone 5. The headset is fine.

People complaining about it here. Apparently, tech support has either been having people reset their phones (doesn't work), or blaming play store apps. Multiple people (me too) have confirmed it's a systemwide gently caress up, and Google is really the one to blame. Nice.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/dsf7hQPesds

Hmmm, I have a Sony Ericsson MW-600 (as recommended on the previous thread) and it's not giving me any volume issues.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Hadlock posted:

I think in Europe you can just blacklist your IMEI number which effectively bricks it unless you only want to use it on WiFi.

Yeah we can, report it stolen to your network and the do just that. It only makes the phone useless in your country though, so thieves just send them abroad. Or change the IMEI.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bull3964 posted:

Once the Moto G hits, it's probably going to be harder to recommend a Nexus 5. We obviously need to wait for some reviews, but if Kit Kat really is optimized for lower power devices, it's going to be hard to justify almost double the price for LTE and top end processors if the G is solid.
I'm picking one up this afternoon, will take questions on it/compare it to my N5.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
The letter at the end doesn't mean a lot really: http://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Shai-Hulud posted:

Im really liking this Moto G thing.
Yeah I'm quite impressed with it as well, for the money it really is superb.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

big mean giraffe posted:

It only has 1gb of RAM though, which is really gonna make it chug on multitasking, especially if you get Chrome anywhere near it.

Chrome is the only browser pre-installed :v:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Vagrancy posted:

Google drew a line in the sand in 4.4 and now force the software overflow to display on devices with a physical menu button (even the commit message pretty much implicitly addresses Samsung/LG): https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git/+/ea04f3cfc6e245fb415fd352ed0048cd940a46fe%5E%21/#F0 so any devices in that format will now be stuck with a duplicate menu. Now it's a waiting game to see if that'll be enough to get them to bite for the next round of devices.
I think it's pretty safe to say that Samsung et al will be ignoring this and putting the old code back in.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

grack posted:

Am I the only person on the planet who never had any problems with a 2X/G2X?
Almost certainly, the stock software on my 2X was horrific... there was always a good chance that it would crash overnight and so no alarm. CyanogenMod 7 made it much better, but the early days of that was pretty terrible too.

Ashex posted:

Seems like it'll work well, have any Nexus 5 users used other apps for OTG?
I've used StickMount on mine, does what you'd expect.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Skeezy posted:

Could I just run the 4.3 RUU that HTC released and be good with that or what?

Yes, although you'd still have the Google splash screen, as HTC don't put that in their RUUs. You'd have to flash the original one separately.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Rattley power button is pretty common on them. Being ceramic doesn't help either.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Yeah it's definitely true, branded phone updates are always later.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Mister Fister posted:

Funny thing is, android 2.2 phones and up still get updates via Google play services

Actually they've (finally) binned off 2.2 now, it's 2.3 and up these days.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

gmq posted:

How is the Moto G? My mother needs a new phone but it seems like all cheapish android phones suck even for for day to day use to the point where even a Lumia 520 will perform better.
For what you pay, excellent. It's way better than it's price tag would suggest.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

This is not at all how Android works. Just swipe the process away after you switch launcher and I'll be gone.

What you're probably thinking of is garbage like Sense that always has a bunch of crap running in the background because HTC are terrible. Back in the Desire days, for example, Rosie (the Sense launcher) would persist in memory despite any efforts to kill it.

In this case, it is. The Google Experience launcher is just a shiny front for Google Now, which is always there, doing it's thing.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Might be worth considering the Moto G? Bit worse than the N4, much better than the Nexus S.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Surprise T Rex posted:

As for importing a Moto X, I'm mainly just concerned about the compatibility of a US phone with my network, as well as it being about £380 shipped on ebay for a new unit, especially without being able to handle the phone first to see if I'd even like the way it feels in my hands.
Looks like it doesn't support any of our LTE bands. Fine for HSDPA though.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

If I want to return my Nexus 4 to stock from CM, I assume I get the 4.4 rom and put it on my phone right?
Yarp. Just boot to fastboot and run the included .bat file.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I think I'm missing something
Yeah, fastboot.exe

Download it and stick it in the folder with the rest of the extracted image bits... Google don't include it, they assume that someone needing factory images would already have it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Nah, you don't need ADB for factory images, it's all done with fastboot.

But you should have ADB handy anyway.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything else in 4.4.1 beyond the camera? Does WhatsApp work with ART yet?
Yes Whatsapp now works with ART, speaker volume has increased as well.

Edit: Probably fixes the flash SMS DoS bug as well.

Rusty! fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 6, 2013

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

mitztronic posted:

My second HTC One bricked. The first one had a charger failure in July (guessing the charge electronics), which AT&T replaced with no issues, and this phone - I have no clue. Went to take a power nap on thursday (set an alarm for 30 mins) and was woken up 2 hours later by someone else. Pulled out my phone and it wont turn on, it wont charge (the LED doesnt even come on), when plugged into a computer via PC it will recognize that something is plugged in, but claims that it is "not configured"

:/

Probably stuck in QSD Download mode, which probably means it doesn't have an HBOOT anymore

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Kreeblah posted:

That's built in now, though. You can track a phone, cause it to ring, display a message on it, and remote wipe it.

The thing with Cerberus is you can install both the app and config on /system, so if a theif was to factory reset your phone, Cerberus will continue to work for you where others won't.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In the winter, if you aren't using a bluetooth headset you are doing it wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM

Something like the MW600 is perfect. The phone stays in your pocket, and clip the headset to your jacket. I've recommend this to several of my friends and they all love it.

It's especially handy if you walk a lot, in NYC having those headphone cables flopping around is just asking for trouble. I've had numerous people hook my headphone cable with their umbrella. Detaching the phone and the cable is a great advantage.

Yep.

The MW600 is the poo poo. I use mine all the time, great for sporty stuff.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know what that com.chrome.beta:sandboxed thing is? Sometimes it shows up multiple times.

Have you been using Chrome's as to homescreen feature?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah, thanks! I looked it up and it seems like I should be able to ship it as a small parcel for ~£15 with a £500 coverage. Seems alright. If not my contact can bring it.
Yeah, you can't.

It looks like it on the face of things, but if you dig far enough you'll find that enhanced compensation is not available on mobile phones. Royal Mail suck sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

AlexDeGruven posted:

As long as they're not intrusive rear end in a top hat ads, I'll keep them on if there's no paid option. Rovio has gotten pretty good at this.
Are you making GBS threads me? Rovio are loving TERRIBLE at this.

I play Angry Birds (yes, still) with the sound off, but that doesn't stop their loving video ads playing with sound, and then that turns on the in-game sounds for a couple of seconds.

/Rant

My missus just got a cheap SGS3 and I am de-Touchwizing it for her, even at 720p the PenTile matrix is obvious to me. gently caress PenTile.

/Other rant

• Locked thread