Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dangit, scarycave, you beat me (so I stole your Trail head for the follow-up :haw:)

e: alternate version (can't believe I didn't see that earlier)

e part 2: haha, woops, I just noticed the jackelrod. Must've used the edit for the source on the other one, too. I had a jillion little windows open in PSP7 at the time...)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I like Jane's World, but it is ridiculously hard to follow. Are we supposed to know who this Dorrie is or what wedding they're talking about? Is any of this even happening in the present or are we still three layers deep in nested flashbacks?

To add to the confusion, we've got a character named Dorothy and a character named Dorrie. :bravo: How can anyone think that's good writing?

I used to follow Jane's World long before joining SA, and some of these flashbacks are actually straight-up re-runs. I remembered the furry con as it was being posted, and then this monster truck rally was coming back to me like a bad fever dream. I looked it up, and yep, these are strips from 2005 - 2006:

http://www.amazon.com/Janes-World-Volume-Paige-Braddock/dp/0976670755/ref=pd_sim_b_2

So it looks like Paige is doing re-runs framed as flashbacks, with occasional bumpers of new material...?

EDIT: I don't know.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 7, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

"No, honey, because when I snap and it's YOU out in the bitter Canadian snow, I don't want you getting traced back to me."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Since when does anyone want to be easily found on a search engine?

Eh, I'm an artist and musician, and I changed the spelling of my name to make it a bit more Google-able. That's a good marketing move for that profession, though; can't think why an IT drone would need to.

As long as I'm grousing about this terrible comic: I hate hate hate the way Dethany's drawn and portrayed. Rikki Mortis from the recent Dick Tracy story was about 1000% more convincing, attractive, and likeable as a perky goth chick. The way Dethany's drawn always reminds me of this scene from Venture Bros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAjNjAybKc

That thing is like a pumpkin.

Edit: speaking of Rikki, how did she make out in that storyline? Blackjack saved Tracy & his family, Kadaver went into the cement pond... I can't recall what happened to her, though.

\/\/\/ Thanks! Yes, Kadaver sent her off to "secure the murder mansion". Godspeed, Rikki, I hope we see you again!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 20, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Trent posted:

feels good

GodDAMN y'all are on a roll with the edits today.

You Are A Elf posted:

Even up to at least the early 70s when Sesame Street did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C782-Xf4NPk

And this totally made my Saturday morning. :allears: Thanks for the flashback! (Also, count me among those who got sent to the IGA 4 blocks away as a young girl. This was the 80's in NY.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Gil's knowledge of the 70s is impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4pyiB-kq0

I was going to compliment his taste in late 80's hiphop. Gil knows what's up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0irL1M15DH8

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

For those of you who follow comic strips but not comic books: Opal City, Star City, and of course Metropolis are all cities in the DC universe.

Now I want a Dick Tracy/Ralph Dibny crossover.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only real-ale cocktail I know of is when an old man orders a pint of mild and a half of light and tops up the former with the latter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan :colbert:

(Unless that's what you meant, but you say "mild" and "light" and have the orders confused, then.)

Yuengling makes a serviceable bottled black & tan, flavor-wise, but of course you miss the pretty layering effect.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

She's betting on being able to swim free of the car while Silver is weighed down by his heavy shoes.

:stare: That is some hella deduction there, my friend. :10bux: says you nailed it.

We also know she dislikes the hyena, and she's pissed that his scam didn't work.

edit: who knew that one day Dick Tracy and Juliet Jones would be the comics keeping me totally riveted? I can't get over it! (Thanks for posting 'em, folks!)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 18, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, that's an actual thing. I had an aunt out in the Midwest who had one in her bathroom, on a spare roll.

I guess it's so you can have a spare roll handy without visitors seeing it and thinking, "Oh my god, PEOPLE POOP IN HERE ALL THE TIME, JUST LOOK AT ALL THIS TOILET PAPER," which is embarrassing or something? Or maybe they just like filling up their bathroom with crocheted things, I don't know.

In summary, people are pretty weird.

Growing up in the 70's, I always saw them with dolls attached, like so:

...so that comic made even less sense to me, since she didn't have a Barbie torso sticking out of her "hat".

In summary, some people are even weirder.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

From the archives of Cheap Thrills Cuisine

February 12, 2014: Horrifying Orzo Pasta Salad

I wish it wouldn't look at us that way..

For fun, I tried the mystery game suggested a page or two back: don't look at the title, jump right to the final illustration and try to guess wha HOLY MOTHER OF JUNJI ITO AAAAAA

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I love Chief Dharma (thanks for posting it!), though the word balloon orientation often seems weird to me. I can't help but see the 7th panel as being a conversation between the Chief's breakfast and his tie.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Dick Tracy

Re: the crimestoppers panel: how would you notice that someone was lingering after many buses go by unless you were also lingering? Shouldn't you be on a bus by then, Mr So-Called FBI? That's some Inspector Danger level bullshit right there.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

Also, there was an attempt to turn his "Hate" comic books into animation, by DiC of all the places (the idea that DiC would try to do adult animation is laughable for me). The 6-min pilot is on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJLRcLr5zE

Having read "Buddy Does Seattle" and "Buddy Does Jersey" multiple times (man, I miss my old library), this is one of those instances where the animated version doesn't work for me at all, because the voice work is atrocious. (Also, agreed that the animation house I remember most for doing Inspector Gadget doing "Hate" is indeed pretty :lol:.)

I feel like the last panel of this could be placed after any Foob, a la Goatckd.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze forgot to tell a joke again.

Does anyone know if this steaming pile of quality actually runs in any printed papers? The Wiki page mentions an older version seeing some B & W runs in "a handful of newspapers". I can't imagine the stock photo backgrounds rendering well at all (then again, that's never stopped the Honorable Master of lovely Photoshop Effect Backgrounds).

On a less negative note: please never stop posting "Chief Dharma", Some Guy TT! Even when I miss the nuances of the joke, the artwork is just so amazing. Thanks for all your work translating. :) How often did it come out when it was still running? The level of detail always blows my mind.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I love Flintheart's door sign. :allears:

I like the poster for Vitamin starring in "Abbott & Costello meet Columbus". While looking up Abbott and Costello's "meet X" films, I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbott_and_Costello_Meet_the_Killer,_Boris_Karloff

Dick Tracy's been knocking it out of the park for me with this storyline. "Christopher Cushing"? An appearance by Rikki Mortis?

Comic Strip Megathread XVI: EGAD!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (December 14, 1927)

Man, if I wasn't so broke I'd finally buy myself an avatar.

I like Skippy a lot, thanks for posting it! Out Our Way, too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

For some reason I'd been assuming that Gunthie's mom was a widow, and thought maybe he was overreacting because "how dare someone try to replace my dad!" or some weird sentiment like that. I went to Wikipedia to find out how/when his dad died, where I learned: "He has a good deal of insecurity about his father deserting the family when Gunther was young, and worried that it was because of him".

Sooo... thinks he caused his mom's first husband to leave, but now is actively trying to keep her from finding another love.

Gunther, you're a douche.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

Why is Reply All woman dating Zed from DbD?

I can't unsee him as the dad from Heavenly Nostrils.

Also, sign me up for Jungle Patrol, they got quite the selection of cakes in that cafeteria!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

... the hell? Do they have 3 foot curbs in Canuckistan, or something? Why would you need help getting a shopping cart down a whopping few inches?

Edit: was grousing about this strip to my bf, and it turned into an irrationally angry rant about how Lynn's collecting a paycheck doing reruns when there's tons of fresh talent that are struggling to get syndicated. The rant then turned to how Morrie Turner was 90 years old and still coming up with new (and actually funny!) material right up until he died, with an impressive 9 month advance time.

My points: 1) I miss Wee Pals. :( 2) Did we get every Wee Pals posted, up to the last one? I'm struggling to remember.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 8, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Zereth posted:

She doesn't want her very poorly packed food to get jostled out and fall onto the ground doing it.

Looking back at the strip... that poo poo's not even in bags. WTF? I grew up in upstate NY in the 70's, pretty sure even back then, on our frequent trips to Canada they had these nifty things called "shopping bags".

Foob is making me way too angry for a Sunday morning.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Green Intern posted:

I'm mostly impressed that he included a reference to Mille Bornes.

Dammit, I was just about to make that post (but kudos for picking up the reference!)

Now I want to play Mille Bornes, even though I haven't since I was a kid in the 80's. Puncture Proof!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Another thread taught me that a pibgorn is actually a Welsh musical instrument. In looking it up, I found this article. Okay, which one of you writes for The Daily Texan?

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/blogs/words-and-pictures/2011/09/27/how-not-to-comic-pibgorn

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Does any college/university have a bell to signal the end of class? I think the Evans's forgot Luann's not in high school anymore.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

As an avid gardener and resident of Virginia I thought that composting idea made sense, so I looked it up. Glad Ripley's didn't use the Daily Press's footage for their usual picture-tracing, I really didn't need to see kitties getting buried in sawdust just now. :( (They did warn "graphic content", but I thought it'd be a deer carcass, not cute pets.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I'd give anything to watch Kevin O'Leary destroy this "plan" on Dragon's Den or Shark Tank. $60,000 to buy a warehouse, get it up to code, put all those businesses in it, hire people, liability insurance.. :psyduck:

Ahhh, there, my rage is gone.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

In today's installment of "Gettin' Mad at Luann":
1. Yep, when I'm doing a messy art project like papier mache, I find the best place to do it is on my bed, not, say, in the kitchen, basement, or outside.
2. I've done masks like that (with plaster). You cut the drat straws down so they don't fall out of your nose and you can actually breathe through them.
3. I can only hope the punchline to this is that Luann has failed to put Vaseline on her face, and Quill rips her eyebrows out when he takes the mask off.

quote:

Juliet Jones

...but thankfully Julet also posts Juliet, which I have fallen in love with. Thanks for posting these! Been a fan for a while and couldn't remember if I ever thanked you for it. :)
(sidenote to Julet: where does your avatar text come from? It seems familiar but I can't place it. Did it come from one of these threads?)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wow, my mom could've added to our collection of our family featured in Ripley's* if only we'd known it was incredibly unbelievable that sometimes teeth come in oddly. (One of her canines went the wrong way and grew up instead of down, requiring surgery --- Believe it or Not!)

*This vintage Ripley's is actually my great grandpa: OMG a dude had a eight kids! Can you believe it?!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I was tickled by the Wegmans shopping bags last week, and now a Buffalo mention? My interest was piqued enough to look him up, and yep, the author's a SUNY grad who now teaches at an elementary school in the Finger Lakes region. Upstate NY, reprazent!

Thanks for posting these, I probably wouldn't have discovered them if it weren't for this thread. I wasn't into the last storyline so much, but I'm really diggin' this one.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

I was about ready to defend the character by saying that he's less malicious and more mercantile, but you know, that's really not much better.

FWIW I googled "sacacuartos" the other day figuring it must mean something in Spanish, and it does: it's slang for swindler, rip off merchant, money-grabbing, etc

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

That Sunday strip just blew the entire setting wide open. At first I thought they were just excavating the existing water lines, but there are a bunch of buried hydrant tops there. If dogs really did put those there, then it means they were there before the city was built, and they're capable of much greater engineering feats than we ever knew. They ruled this world once, and they're only waiting until the day they take it back.

I loving CALLED IT.

Hey, if ants can do it... (in a strange coincidence, I just saw this video for the first time yesterday)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg21x2sj-M

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean is heartless today, is all about breaking.

In case you're like me and have been wondering what a Band-Box is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtWqo6u33k

They sell for thousands of dollars; there's one on Ebay right now asking $12,500.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey, does anyone have a link to the My Cage debacle when the author got himself a forums account and self-destructed?

Thanks to Ghostlight finding the gassed return, I was able to do some poking around based on My Cage Writer's reg-date and found both the one in megathread 11 and the one he started in BSS.

BSS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3330725

CSM 11: drat, that's a fine elephant [man, that was 5 years ago?]:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290229&userid=166271

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 28, 1968)

Awww, these goop strips take me back. When I was growing up in the 70's, I had the Peanuts Cook Book.

Simple recipes for kids, with a food-related comic on the opposite page.

So in case you were wondering: goop tastes like icing! :3:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

The tiny, never moving white eyes are pretty creepy too.

For me it's the complete lack of mouths (but yeah the dead eyes are pretty unnerving as well).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I love me some Juliet Jones, and have been enjoying this story. Something about Dr. Parkady seemed... familiar. I finally placed it.

"Hideous monster that mothers tell their children to stay away from":

"Totally hot dude":

Basically Dr. Parkady is what a 9CL character would look like, rendered with actual lifelike artistic talent. Poor fella.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Darthemed posted:

b]Ripley's[/b]

Someone else noted itt that Richard Gibson of Lafayette, LA submits an awful lot of things to Ripley's. Curiosity got the better of me this morning, and a quick search revealed this:

(somewhat :nms:, if a jar full of toenail clippings squicks you out)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/23/richard-gibson-toenails_n_5700494.html

quote:

He is a longtime fan of Ripley's Believe It Or Not! who has submitted 70,000 weird facts for inclusion in the popular column.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Much like how GoatseXKCD or sticking "Christ what an rear end in a top hat" on any New Yorker comic works, I can't help but think the editmeisters need to save that second panel. Would work so well for a final panel in many edits.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 30, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Christ, I'm trying to imagine this mom's reaction if she popped out a kid with Down's, or a cleft palate, or a zombaby or something. I really hope Lynn's intent was to write this character as an insufferable oval office, because I can't see how you could read her as anything but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

Welp, I got nothin'.

I got nothin' either as far as the comic is concerned, but my Useless Fish Nerd Trivia of the Daytm is: fish dentistry actually exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dI3j3zpWYg

• Locked thread