Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
2014 will be the Second Year of Hawkguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

Truly the JLA vs Avengers comic we should have gotten was Justice League Detroit vs. West Coast Avengers.

No lie, I would read that religiously.

Vibe versus Firebird in the Latino Stereotype Faceoff!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ed: Yeah, RT was a decent character in the YJ comics and cartoons. He can be good, he just usually is *beep boop cry*.

How many characters can't have this said about them, though? Wolverine can be a good character, he's just usually "snikt snikt bub bub ronin snikt bub." Green Arrow can be a good character, he's just usually "drat the Man I should have been at Woodstock I have a boxing glove arrow." Batman can be a good character, he's just usually "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEAAAAAAADDDDD!"

There's a lot of lovely writers and a lot of lovely stories, but that doesn't mean the characters are lovely.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

He was like 12, yeah, but he looked like a beefy adult. Everyone perceived him as BLACK AND ANGRY THUG but inside he was just a good kid who loves his grandma and fights injustice the best he can.

The dude was almost named BLACK RAGE. It's not a subtle thing.

That said, I liked Rage, but he was a much better fit for the team he ended up on, namely the New Warriors. He was awesome in that book. But then, I loved that book way more than it probably deserves.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Are books written by Warren Ellis not at a point where they would always sell well?

Nextwave never exactly lit up the sales charts.

Which is a CRIME.

Sundowner posted:

How is Garth Ennis' Hitman? I won the first book for £1 on ebay.

It's the best thing he ever wrote, IMHO. Vastly better than it had any real right to be.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

What does this mean?

'No-sell' is a wrestling term, meaning to shrug off an attack like it was nothing - instead of 'selling' your opponent's trademark attacks and making them look good, you 'no-sell' them and make them look like an rear end.

Anyways, Venom has been a lot less weak to fire lately than he's really supposed to be.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Why anyone would feel the need to go look at my (only rarely comics-related) Twitter is beyond me, but since that seems to be the thing we're doing now, it's @dcb42.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Coffee is terrible though.

YOU'RE terrible. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

The one good thing that came out of Age of Ultron was that A.I. issue Mark Waid did.

And the Avengers Assemble issue that Al Ewing did. That was amazing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

To this day my friend and I have arguments about whether Identity Crisis is a good comic or not. I had been reading comics for a few years. He was a lapsed comic book reader who hadn't read anything forever. He holds that IC is a good comic. I hold that it pretty artwork, one good issue but otherwise was a complete waste of time, an annoying ending and a poo poo comic overall. I'm right by the way. gently caress IC.

Identity Crisis was a good comic and a terrible comic, because it depends entirely upon your definition of 'good.'

Like, it's impossible to argue that Identity Crisis did not fulfill its remit; it was a Big Event by an Actual Novelist who had a longtime love of comics (I remember reading one of Meltzer's novels and being tickled that three supporting characters were named Ollie, Dinah, and Roy; it's the kind of thing that's meaningless to most but is a nice bonus for savvy readers). It got people talking about DC at a time when there wasn't much to talk about at DC. It looked pretty, it sold like hotcakes, and it brought interest from a bunch of places that hadn't had interest before - not to mention the fact that, as lovely as the ending turned out to be, it still kept enough people guessing to get them to keep buying the book. By those lights, it was a success - to DC, it was a good comic.

That said, the mystery was resolved in the cheapest, laziest way imaginable; it was full of scenes that looked great and yet fell apart the moment you stopped to actually think about them; it involved several 'heroes' acting despicably and set the tone for some of the laziest grimdark comics we've ever seen in the post-Chromium Cover age, while the few bits of decent plot material that could have been mined from it were inevitably ignored. It was lovely. It was just plain lovely hackwork.

It was a good gimmick, but that doesn't mean it was a good comic... unless you're not really invested in the medium or you work for DC. It was a classic example of the kind of short-term thinking that has plagued DC for decades - make the books sell now, who cares if it fucks us six years down the road?

To put it another way... Identity Crisis was kind of like Barry Bonds' winning the season Home Run record in baseball. It was interesting to look at and to a casual fan it was very compelling, but to most actual baseball fans - who get that there's more to the game than hitting home runs, which is one reason his team didn't make it to the postseason that year despite having inarguably the best hitter in the majors on their roster - it's not the be-all, end-all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

I have two Superman tattoos myself (Bizarro logo on my left shoulder and later Superman logo on the right just to balance it out). I meant to get more, but people keep saying that getting a hammer and sickle permanently sketched onto my skin is a bad, bad idea and if I can't get that one, then what's the point of continuing?

Getting a hammer and sickle permanently sketched onto your skin is THE BEST idea

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

A superhero team with four people whose only power is to shrink would be awesome.

Wasn't there a group like that in The Atom for a while there, government employees who stole Atom's shrink-powers to go be micro-spies or something?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I had an appointment to get a new Kirby inspired tattoo but my artist overbooked today. :Sad Face:

It should be KANGA RAT MURDER SOCIETY in Gothic letters across your chest.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

What does ROM stand for? Is it ROM: SpaceKnight?

ROM is in all-caps because it looked cooler that way. Yes, it's ROM the Spaceknight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Not everything connects back to ROM UGH!!!!

But everything should.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm so sick of Skottie Young.

What is it like to have no joy in your soul?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

What's the deal with Morrison and Moore? I guess I hadn't heard about it before.

IIRC, way back in the days when dinosaurs walked the Earth, budding Britcomix superstar Grant Morrison - who has always affected an edgy sort of persona - decided that a good way to solidify his brand, so to speak, was to talk smack about Alan Moore. He has since pretty much come out and said "it was a put-on, I was a dumb kid trying to appear cool," but apparently Moore does not forgive easily, and what had been a mostly-forgotten-about 'feud' simmered until, y'know, the Internet happened, whereupon comics press and bloggers just could not resist asking Moore and Morrison about how much they hated each other; Moore said some poo poo about Morrison and I'm pretty sure that at this point they would both prefer to stop hearing about it anymore.

...except in his self-proclaimed 'last interview' Moore said yet more poo poo, so maybe he's a bit more irked than I thought. What Morrison thinks of the whole thing I'm not certain.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Dude know a generic sadbrains post when you see it. Decent people don't air this kind of dirty laundry on Games subforum or 4chan, they lock it in the places where they can get support, not gather an angry mob (who, predictably, and the fucker should've known that, only cared that she slept around with people, not that she allegedly abused the poor sob). His further participation in IRC is also damning and no amount of "i only wanted wuuustice and honesty" can change that.

"I felt it was important that the truth be told in a fair and impartial way, and that's why I went to 4chan."

Look, I have zero interest in making GBS threads on 4chan - several 4chan boards have plenty of cool people making cool posts, and good for them - but it's what it is. I would no more expect fair-minded social justice from 4chan than I would expect compassion for the destitute from the modern Republican Party or tips on how to make a great steak from a collective of vegans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I don't really believe in the first amendment anyway

Jesus, you really are aiming for 'worse than Rhyno' aren't you?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Never particularly liked the Suicide Squad

Jesus, you just do not get tired of being wrong, do you?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I mean it's just not something I've ever been a fan of, I don't hate it, I haven't read any aside from the first issue of the New 52 series.

Leaving aside the ridiculousness of feeling the need to say you've never particularly been a fan of something you haven't read, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Seriously, Ostrander's original run on Suicide Squad may well be my favorite book of its era (and there was some strong competition to be had). It is absolutely a groundbreaking, well-constructed, engrossing book and you really ought to read it - not (just) because then you will agree with me, but because it's really loving good and not having it in your life is a damned shame.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Speedball (as Penance) - "King of Pain" by The Police
Silver Surfer - "Across the Universe" by The Beatles
Damon Hellstrom - "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man - "Heartless Bastard Motherfucker" by Frank Turner
Peacemaker - "War" by Edwin Starr
Hourman - "Mother's Little Helper" by the Rolling Stones

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 2, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Uh, I heartily disagree. Silver Surfer is Planet Caravan or at worst Satriani's incredibly literal Surfing With The Alien.

Either is an excellent choice (true story - I bought the album Surfing With The Alien without knowing a thing about who Joe Satriani was simply because it had the Surfer on the cover). "Across the Universe" could work for most space-based heroes, really - though actually, come to think of it I think I like it best for Metron.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

There is nothing on Earth more appropriate than this.

Yeah, I was pretty proud of Heartless Bastard Motherfucker for the Superior Foes but that's just a classic pick.

Speaking of Frank Turner, though, remembering the working-class origins of the current Union Jack makes me suggest Turner's "Thatcher hosed The Kids."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, I thought that one was done already because I already saw people complaining about changes.

The changes haven't happened yet, but they look egregious enough to warrant complaining about early.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Where's the "Hobgoblin is a hero now" story going on in? I assume it's spinning out of Axis.

It hasn't started yet, so it's not going on in anything.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bairfanx posted:

And yeah, I still think he's kinda bland and every flashback scene makes me cringe, but modern day Ollie does seem much more believable than he did in season 1.

I actually suspect that part of that is intentional - in season 1 we were seeing modern Ollie after five years of what we thought was isolation and turned out to be Reams Of Bullshit, but either way, he's still a trauma victim. It's going to take time for him to start to interact with other people like, you know, a human, and that's why we've seen him slowly get more and more natural.

I may be giving the writing staff too much credit there (God, I wanted to strangle his sister in season 1 after she was all 'why aren't you acting like you used to' and he never bothered to say 'Because I've been trapped on a deserted island for half a decade, it was kind of a life-changing experience, lady'), but that's how I rationalize it. A lot of the things that bothered me in season one have turned out to be excellent groundwork for later seasons, so maybe they've got a whole big picture thing going.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The power to "make earthquakes" would be one of those nebulous things like Storm's "controlling the weather" that, if you wanted to get all hip and quasi-scientific with it, would really be a lot more versatile than it seems on its face.

Daisy's power has always been "cause vibrations," though; she was never limited to earthquakes, even when she first appeared. She picked the name Quake because, one assumes, DC already had Vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Well, and a girl called Vibe or Vibration or whatever has.... other connotations.

She was created by Bendis. I'm sure he wanted those connotations.

• Locked thread