Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Ruthenium compounds?

Nonsense, that's a penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of, apart from Ignition and Things I Won't Work With, what are good books/blogs/papers/etc on this subject?

Excuse Me Sir, Would You Like To Buy a Kilo of Isopropyl Bromide? (PDF) by Max Gergel.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I actually read that as well and forgot to list it! I didn't like it nearly as much as Ignition, though.
Kary Mullis autobiography, Dancing Naked in the Mind Field, has a few good chemistry stories interspersed with the ones about alien encounters and OJ Simpson. You too can read the tale of how a future Nobel prize winner almost died from doing nitrous and from taking the drug diethyltryptamine (DET). Here's the DET story:

quote:

There was one trip from which I thought I would never come back. I thought I had destroyed my physical brain. My friend Eric, with whom I often did psychedelic drugs, was a strategic air command pilot. In the air, he was responsible for one of the keys required to arm the nuclear bombs. If war started, he had partial responsibility for dropping them. One day he realized he couldn't, and wouldn't, do it. They gave him an honorable discharge. Psychiatric problems - he wouldn't help blow up the world.

One weekend while he was still on active duty, he was staying with Richards and me. I had synthesized diethyltryptamine [DET]. Not much was known about it. I expected the effect to be similar to dimethyltryptamine [DMT], but lasting longer. I weighed out what would be a reasonable dose, but I made an error. I must have had a premonition because I told Eric that I would take it first, we'd wait half an hour until it took effect, and then if it was all right, he would join me. I took ten times the amount I had intended. Within a few minutes something was terribly wrong. The last sane words I said were, "Don't take it, Eric."

It was too much. The fire roared out of the fireplace. I was no longer in the room. I was somewhere lying on a gurney, being wheeled down a hospital corridor. Not on Earth. My friends were playing a joke on me. They were sending me to Earth to be born. To them, it was like sending me to a scary movie. They didn't know I was going to spend a lifetime on this planet far, far away. It was just a joke. And then I realized that this had already happened. I am here. I'm stuck. I don't know how to get home. I wanted it to stop, but I couldn't speak.

I woke up in the living room and saw a snake coming out of the fireplace. I found a piece of wood and started beating the snake. It was Eric's clarinet. He was unhappy about the clarinet, but he and Richards were far more worried about me.

I woke up the next morning huddled under my desk. Everything was gray. I couldn't remember who I was, what I did, what I liked. I was terrified and sad. I looked out the window and saw children playing in the yard. One of them was mine, but I didn't know which one. Richards woke up. She told me she was my wife, but I didn't remember her. Nothing in my house was familiar. I thought I loved books and music, but I couldn't remember which books or what kind of music.

I had annihilated my personality. I had no preferences. I didn't recognize my body. I wasn't physically uncomfortable. I could walk around. I could eat. I had no friendships, no love, no humor. Eric and I had often gone camping along the Navarro River. He thought that might be a good place for me to be. That evening as we sat by a campfire he read me a poem he said I liked. "Do you remember what a poem is?" he asked. I remembered parts of it but only from a distance.

In the morning my memory slowly began to come back. In another day it was back completely. Whole and undamaged. I was functioning normally, and my personality was back. I felt that I had been to some very important place. I now knew what it felt like to be psychotic, to be meaningless. But it sure as hell hadn't been fun being lost.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have a degree in chemical engineering. My internship consisted of working in a plant that could produce millions of gallons of oleum per day. I do not currently work in my field because of my cowardice with working with that kind of absolutely terrifying poo poo.

Reminds me of this unsettling prep (PDF) for at-home synthesis of SO3. Why would someone want to make this at home, you say?

quote:

Sulfur trioxide and oleum are exceptionally versatile reagents in the laboratory. Some of the most important uses shall be mentioned here:

With methanol or dimethyl ether, the powerful methylating agent dimethyl sulfate is formed. It is isolated by fractional distillation in vacuum. Diethyl sulfate is prepared analogously, by distilling SO3 into dry diethyl ether, distilling away the ether and distilling the diethyl sulfate over Na2SO4 in vacuum.
By distilling SO3 into SCl2, the important chlorinating agent thionyl chloride is produced. This can be used for the production of acetyl chloride from acetic acid, and subsequently acetic anhydride

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Eye surgeons have cabinets of medical cocaine for surgical purposes. I've always wondered if seized cocaine winds up getting used for that...

All medicinal cocaine in America is made via an extraction of coca leaves in St. Louis by Mallinckrodt.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Over in another thread, I learned that there's currently clinical trials for using Ketamine (vet tranquilizer-turned-rave drug) to combat severe depression in humans.

e: found the link:

I found this study a couple months ago. At John Hopkins, they are studying "Effects of Hallucinogens and Other Drugs on Mood and Performance".

quote:

Twenty volunteers between 21-50 years old will each participate in 16 total sessions, including sessions for: screening, preparation, experiment/drug, immediate follow-ups, a 1-month follow-up and 1 post completion urine collection. On each of five experimental session participants will orally ingest capsules of either a placebo or varying doses of one of 18 different psychoactive compounds.
Hallucinogens: DMT, 4-phosphoryloloxy-N-diethyltryptamine, dipropyltryptamine (DPT), ketamine, dextromethorphan, mescaline, PCP, psilocybin, salvinorin-A, LSD, d-lysergic acid amide (LSA), MDMA, cannabis

Sedatives/anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, secobarbital, temazepam, triazolam, zolpidem

Antihistamines: diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine

Stimulants: d-amphetamine, caffeine, ephedrine, methylphenidate, diethylproprion

Opioids: heroin, morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, codeine

Other: alcohol, scopolamine, nicotine

Each volunteer will receive a hallucinogen on at least one of five sessions. More drugs are listed than will be administered to increase the degree to which volunteers are "blind" to the drugs being studied. It is important that the volunteer and research staff be blinded to specific drug conditions to minimize confounding the results with expectations about the nature of drug effects.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

In most countries there are several levels of restricted chemicals, though. Common acids such as nitric tend to be not on it, but things used to make illegal drugs or explosives are. If you want to buy stuff that's on a list, they'll at least ask what it's needed for and send your information to the government. For more serious stuff you need to get a government permit first, which I know nothing about because I never had to order stuff like that.

Some seemingly innocuous stuff is on the DEA's radar. For example, it's practically impossible to buy iodine now because of its use in the HI/P synthesis of methamphetamine.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, but even then, there's a pretty big gulf between LSD and angel dust.

The only way PCP is curing depression is "if I'm depressed, how can I fist-fight all these people?"
PCP has an undeservedly bad rep. Ketamine was developed and sold as a replacement for PCP in anesthesia. They're very similar in their mechanisms of action, so it wouldn't surprise me if PCP was also an effective treatment for depression.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

I once found some osmium tertoxide ampules on ebay. I was disturbed and hope the purchaser had an electron microscope that took OsO4 or had some alkenes they really wanted to stick some alcohols on.

A good thread competition would be to find the most dangerous substance being casually sold on ebay or Amazon. I know you can still find some mercury salts on Amazon and Ebay but those aren't dangerous unless you eat them.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

President Ark posted:

i vaguely recall a case where a shipment of these things for medical imaging technology or something was stolen in (mexico?), was covered in warning labels, and the thieves were told that they were dumbshits, they still took it, and were found all dead of radiation poisoning in the desert a few days later or something having cracked the containers open to look at what they stole

The strange trend of Mexican thieves stealing radioactive material by accident

In all cases the material was recovered without anyone being irradiated.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no it's fine I'll have a kale-beetroot-berry shake to store up my antioxidants.

.....riiiiiiight after my bleach enema

Boy, this is the FOOF thread. The only acceptable enema in this thread is a self-administered hydrofluoric acid enema.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Memento posted:

I don't know the technical process of it well, but cooking meth probably requires an open flame, right? Fire starting yes, right mind, not so much.

Meth labs in Walmart: Pretty common!
99% of the time when you hear about 'meth labs' in the media, what they mean is "they found the ingredients to make meth inside of a 2 liter soda bottle". The shake 'n bath approach to making meth doesn't require heat; you just mix everything together in a 2 liter bottle (you use a 2 liter soda bottle because the reaction generates gas, so it needs to be able to handle some pressure), add some water, and the reaction proceeds on its own. If you don't vent the gas generated by the reaction from the two liter bottle now and then, it explodes. There are a couple other ways it can explode.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Some of you may remember Leonard Pickard, the Buddhist vegetarian marathon runner that was busted manufacturing LSD in a missile silo in Kansas. He wrote an article disputing that him being busted cut LSD availability in half that has a section relevant to this thread's interests. Background: a hit of LSD is 100 micrograms, so one gram of LSD is 10,000 doses.

quote:

Of course, location and size of clandestine labs determine in part total productivity per year. Labs frequently tend to be rural, with sites found in remote desert or mountain environments, although there are exceptions such as the 1967 and 1968 Denver labs and the St Louis, Belgian and Paris labs in the 1970s discussed earlier. This remoteness, while reducing the probability of detection by enforcement agencies, also makes access to the site more difficult and requires lengthy periods of social isolation for the manufacturer. Isolation also reduces productivity due to lack of ready access to supplies of chemicals and equipment.

Another rarely addressed factor limiting clandestine production is the unusual potency of LSD. In that specialized devices such as efficient fume hoods, anaerobic conditions, and full protective clothing with face shields and breathing apparatus are less effective or nonexistent in clandestine environments— particularly in larger labs—manufacturers have difficulty during the synthesis in preventing constant exposure to large quantities of LSD and are frequently subjected to incidental doses of 50 micrograms to many milligrams of LSD each day. LSD is absorbed through skin contact with LSD-containing solvents, through inhalation of dried particulate forms of LSD, and through ocular solution. This incidental exposure to unknown quantities of LSD as chronic and acute doses over weeks and months—together with the anxiety from fear of detection and arrest and the sense of dissociation from conducting a covert-lifestyle— all result in psychological stresses beyond that of a simple low-level LSD experience. The exposure effects are generally proportional to the size of the lab, with smaller labs having greater control over incidental LSD.

Although manufacturing chemists are routinely exposed to LSD for protracted periods, a protective effect has been noted in what has been described as “saturation”, wherein rapid tolerance to the drug is built up in the first few days of exposure, after which the subjective experience in terms of peak effects are significantly lessened. Nevertheless, except for periodic breaks, production tends to continue through a series of batch syntheses for indefinite periods—sometimes years—until either an arrest occurs in the distribution network or of the manufacturer, or otherwise until a personal decision is made to cease activity, or there is a temporary or permanent interruption in the supply of precursors or other requirements.

Exposure effects with other drugs, most notably the synthetic morphine substitute fentanyl, have been observed and provide an interesting example. While fentanyl exposure can be lethal, and LSD is not, and fentanyl production is much rarer than LSD, both are effective at about 100 micrograms. In the U.S. in the 1980s fentanyl suddenly appeared among heroin users in California—resulting in over 100 deaths—then suddenly disappeared, with the absence of fentanyl attributed to the death of the manufacturer from inadvertent contact.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Dante Logos posted:

So I've been getting into perfume making and I am finding a lot of chemical supplies and lab equipment on Ebay. Are labs that hard up and am I going to be on some government list?

Whenever a biotech firm in San Francisco dies or gets bought out for their IP, all their poo poo gets bought by somebody and a lot of it ends up in eBay.

Finding ampules of osmium tertoxide on eBay was disconcerting.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

jetz0r posted:

Of course someone on youtube has done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNx2bJUctRE

After the :stonk: passed, my next question was, "Who the gently caress sold this guy 20 pounds of mercury?"

No-one. He made it himself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtvVzh-zfyo

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

At least two artificial sweeteners have been discovered because of poor safety practices, especially not washing hands after working with the chemicals.

I suspect they were lying about it being accidental. Tasting compounds was common practice even in the 1960s and didn't really die out until the 70s or 80s; there's still one Nobel prize winner, Barry Sharpless, who still tastes almost everything he makes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Heck, back in the days when they were still figuring out that "hygiene" needed to be a thing in hospitals, they'd spray everything down with phenol to kill germs. I'm sure it was more than up to the task, given its propensity for gleefully ripping apart any proteins it encounters, but I pity the surgeon that accidentally gets some on his hands, or breathes in the fumes...
You can still buy dilute (~1% or so) phenol solutions in drug stores in America for treating sore throats. What you do is spray it in your mouth, let it sit in your throat, then spit it out.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you guys ever still blow your own glassware (or have a glassblower on-staff), or is that strictly a matter of ordering nowadays?
Glassblowing is a lost art among scientists. Many universities still have a scientific glassblower on staff but usually it's the biologists that are asking for weird and wacky setups.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Adenoid Dan posted:

Cadmium is another heavy metal that acts as an estrogen. As with uranium the other effects are more dangerous. Just recently they pulled some children's jewelry from a major retailer that was nearly 99% cadmium (it's cheap and shiny - this is not the first time this has happened).

It was only 98%! For those looking for more details, press release, full technical report, and news story follow-up.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

For the adventurous among you, you can make chloroform at home from sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and acetone (nail polish remover). It's a rather exothermic reaction and you'll probably want to distill it afterward. Chloroform slowly oxidizes into phosgene which was used as a chemical weapon in WW1, so be sure to huff it fast.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Produce chlorine gas.

e: But yes it will also produce enough pressure to pope the bottle. I’d still be more concerned about the chlorine than the shrapnel.

I don't understand how TCCA and isopropyl alcohol generate chlorine gas. It should oxidize the IPA to acetone, generating HCl and heat.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

The mechanism for the following is closer to water chemistry than a crystal degrading itself but a more general look at metastable stereochemistry segues into a good thread candidate, thalidomide. Synthesize thalidomide and you get a 50/50 mixture of two optical isomers. One isomer is a potent immune system booster. The other is a potent teratogen that will cause pregnant women to miscarry or birth limbless babies. There are purification schemes to just get the one good isomer. Except the pair of isomers are racemic, over time any pure amount of thalidomide will spontaneously drift to a 50/50 mixture of both isomers. This molecule actively hates pregnant ladies, so obviously it was marketed as a morning sickness cure because pharma was still the wild west in the 50s.

You're half-right. The research saying one stereoisomer is worse than the other was only true in mice. In humans, both stereoisomers are equally bad. Even if there was a difference, it doesn't matter because once you eat it it racemizes anyway. It was only marketed as a morning sickness cure in Europe because the FDA demanded further studies.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Amazon fined 350k for shipping one-gallon container of 'Amazing Liquid Fire'

quote:

Amazon faces a $350,000 fine from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration after shipping a corrosive chemical by air, in violation of federal law. It's the 25th time the company has been found to violate hazardous chemical shipping regulations in two and a half years.

Top 25 Windows 10 Free Tools
Your step-by-step guide to repairing Windows 10
When Windows 10 gets wonky, there's a whole set of activities to try and set things right. If
READ NOW
The latest case concerns a one-gallon container of "Amazing Liquid Fire," a corrosive drain cleaner that was sent by air from Louisville, Kentucky, to Boulder, Colorado, on October 15, 2014.

During its transit, the container leaked and nine UPS employees came into contact with the chemical. They reported a burning sensation on their skin and had to be treated with a chemical wash.

The FAA ruled the shipment wasn't packaged properly, wasn't accompanied by a declaration of dangerous goods, and was not properly marked or labeled as a hazardous package.
Amazing Liquid Fire is sulfuric acid and rodine, which inhibits acid corrosion of metal. The low air pressure probably caused some of the sulfur trioxide to come out of the solution as a gas.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

jetz0r posted:

You have to link the MSDS with that, it's a work of art.

I didn't believe you. Then I clicked and :eyepop:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

The alternative, which is strictly opioid derivatives, is a research team builds and then discards literally DOZENS of chemicals trying to find one in the sweet spot of strength and ease of manufacture. It's why we know what the KOR does (hint, it's not a good trip, do not take anything that binds to KOR).
Salvia is a kappa opiod agonist and some people actually like it.

Phanatic posted:

All of those side-effects sound like drug-warrior urban legend, like how LSD crystallizes in your spinal column and that's how it gives you flashbacks years later.
For a real-life drug urban legend, google bromo dragonfly. Warning, the photos are :nms: Bromo-dragonfly a hallucingen and a potent vasoconstrictor. It's so potent that it can cause your fingers and toes to need to be amputated.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I like to imagine at least one tcc goon was somehow doing both.
There was a TCC ambulance driver in Ukraine who posted some stories about doing his job while on phenazepam.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

OTOH crazy people did manage to make sarin and then (badly) disperse it.
Same group also made VX.

quote:

The Aum cult was aggressively involved in chemical and biological weapons production. Although, the extent of their success is not fully known to this date, the Staff found evidence that they successfully produced nerve agents such as Sarin, Tabun, Soman and VX, biological agents such as botulism and anthrax and controlled substances such as LSD.
[...]
As previously noted, the Aum also tried to develop other chemical weapons such as soman, tabun and VX. The Staff confirmed from official documents that the Aum produced VX on at least four separate occasions in the same facility used to poduce the Sarin compound. They were developed under the direction of Masami Tsuchiya for experimental purposes but full scale production never occurred.

There is credible evidence that the Aum did deploy small quantities of VX, one of the deadliest nerve agents known, on at least two occasions. Confessions from a number of Aum members implicate Tomomitsu Niimi, currently under arrest, for deploying this weapon on a number of enemies of the Aum. Japanese authorities have been quoted in the press as saying that Niimi has confessed to this crime.

The Staff confirmed from official documents that Niimi and others were involved in at least two attacks. They include the attack on Tadahiro Hamaguchi with VX on December 12, 1994, while he was walking on an Osaka street. Hamaguchi died ten days later on December 22nd. The police detected "mono-ethyl-methyl phosphoric acid", a by-product produced only from VX, in Hamaguchi's blood serum on July 22, 1995, confirming the presence of VX. In another incident, Niimi attacked Hiroyuki Nagaoka, 57, the head of the "Association of the Victims of Aum Shinrikyo" with VX gas in January, 1995. He fortunately survived but was in a coma for several weeks per a Staff conversation with his son. It was dispensed by spraying it from a hypodermic syringe into the face of the victim. Nagaoka's son told us that his father survived because his assailants missed his face.

The Japanese police believe that there may have been a third cident of VX deployment although they have not identified the victim or other circumstances in any detail. The Staff has learned from government sources that the incident involves an 83 year old Tokyo man who collapsed in his house in December, 1994 from what is alleged to have been an Aum sponsored VX attack. The man never reported the incident to the police or authorities.

From a Japanese government document the Staff has learned that after the Nagaoka incident, the Aum retained some excess VX. is material had not been found by the police in the initial series of raids. It is believed that this VX may be in the possession of one or more Aum members who were still at large at the time of the preparation of this Staff statement.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Christ, we've already crossed that line here, for DUI suspects. In some cases they have judges at the checkpoints to sign warrants straight off.
That's so 20th century. Judges are now 'on call' and have ipads. If you need a warrant at 3 AM, you send pics of the relevant documents to the judge and signs off on it real quick.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Do you think the Germans that discovered hexadecanitrofullerene had an Oppenheimer "what have I done" moment? Is a 16-nitrogen soccer ball enough?

No. The German who discovered it was this guy, Thomas Klapotke, who goes to work like this.

This is an interview he did with a chemistry journal:

My favorite subject at school was … chemistry.
The most significant advance of the last 100 years has been … rocket propulsion.
The biggest problem that scientists face is … being misunderstood by the public.
Looking back over my career, I … would change nothing.
The most important future applications of my research … are defense oriented.
My work is significant because … it promotes peace.
The worst advice I have ever been given … was to forget about main-group chemistry and to do exclusively organometallic chemistry.
I would have liked to have discovered … the element fluorine.
If I could be a piece of lab equipment, I would be … a distillation collecting flask.
The most groundbreaking discovery in science in the past 100 years has been … quantum mechanics.
My favorite composer is … Gustav Mahler.
If I could be described as an animal … I would be a penguin.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Phy posted:

I feel with a prefix like "hexe-" a witch must somehow be involved

Hex just means 8. Hexene is a perfectly well-behaved chemical.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

"Hex" is six. "Oct" is eight.
:downs: I actually tutored people in chemistry. I have no excuse.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Police in Ohio found a batch of "heroin" that contained carfentanil. Carfentanil is 100 times as potent as fentanyl which is 100 times as potent as morphine, so one microgram of carfentanil is equivalent to 100mg of morphine. A doctor in an emergency room:

https://twitter.com/CSquared913/status/757005593030889472

Gobbeldygook has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Jul 24, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Aurium posted:

Units quibble, but microgram is ug(strictly speaking, it's properly rendered μg. though in medical contexts it can appear as mcg), milligram is mg.

This confusion has caused serious issues in medicine. Getting a dose wrong by a factor of 1000 can do that. Some organizations disallow abbreviations for microgram and insist that it always be written out.
There is no units quibble possible with my post, I wrote out "microgram" for exactly that reason and because most people aren't familiar with the abbreviations for microgram. One microgram of carfentanil = 100 milligrams of morphine.

edit: gently caress I hosed up unit conversion in my first post; 1 microgram of carfentanil = 10 milligrams of morphine.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Aurium posted:

Yea, I think that's what threw me, I saw that one was 100x as powerful, and 1ug vs 100mg and thought there was a typo, not a conversion.

That's still a ridiculous drug to cut something with.
Like fentanyl, it's a substitute not a cut. The dealer sells someone a baggie of "heroin" that contains 99 milligrams of sugar and 1 milligram of fentanyl, or 10 micrograms of carfentanil. Unsurprisingly, your common street dealer does not have the knowledge or equipment to properly mix it so you get a giant pile of dead 'heroin' users.

Gobbeldygook has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Jul 25, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone need anything more powerful than fentanyl, I mean everything I know about it points to it being an end of life care "you are beyond hosed" drug, I mean can you seriously develop a tolerance to that

I guess I do remember some episode of intervention I saw that had a chick just happily suckin' away on one of the lollipop things though, so I guess the human body is a miraculous thing

e. I guess retarded dealers doing bad substitutions makes more sense than junkies saying "Y'know this fentanyl just doesn't give me the same zing that it used to, you got anything better there medical science?"
Carfentanil is not used in humans. It's only used for sedating large animals. Because fentanyl is very short acting, it has medical uses beyond end of life care in e.g. anesthesia.

It's not a 'bad substitution', they are responding to economic incentives. Dealers buying drugs from China gravitate towards whatever is cheapest on a pound for pound basis. First, it's easier to import one kilo than ten kilos. Second, the chemists making the drugs in China don't care about how potent whatever the dealer wants is, only how long it'll take to make and much precursor they need to buy. They'll charge about the same amount for a kilo of something active at 100 milligrams as something active at 10 milligrams.

This was part of what caused the whole "bath salt" phenomenon. While there were a lot of different drugs found in "bath salts" with mephedrone, methylone, and MDPV as the big three, they were overwhelmingly MDPV because MDPV is very active at ~10 milligrams while the other two aren't active until 100+ milligrams. Distributors couldn't include dosing instructions on the packaging, so they would cut it to the point that it was (hopefully) safe to snort a line. MDPV's mechanism of action was most similar to cocaine (whereas mephedrone & methylone had more in common with amphetamine & MDMA), so what we really saw with "bath salts" was what would happen if cocaine of random potency was available at affordable prices in gas stations.

It took most goons using pure MDPV about six weeks to go from MDPV IS THE poo poo to I'M FLUSHING THIS poo poo BECAUSE THE SHADOW PEOPLE TOLD ME TO.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Kratom could meet that requirement. When it first started appearing in the us, some juice bars were mixing it into smoothies as a healthy additive.

"Natural" remedies != homeopathy. Kratom is an actual opiate and will get you nodding off if you take it. Homeopathy is always, now and forever, pure placebo bullshit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

What did the liquid O2 react with? I assume you can't just run it on that alone.

Wikipedia:

quote:

These torpedoes used an otherwise normal wet-heater engine burning a fuel such as methanol or ethanol. Since air is only 21% oxygen (and 78% nitrogen), pure oxygen provides five times as much oxidizer in the same tank volume, thereby increasing torpedo range and the absence of the inert nitrogen resulted in the emission of significantly less exhaust gas, comprising only carbon dioxide, which is significantly soluble in water, and water vapor, thus greatly reducing tell-tale bubble trails.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

"hey can you see how much peroxides in this sample"

Sure thing pal!

*Sets up for peroxide titration and squirts sample into glass flask just as the phone rings*

"Uhhh I think I gave you a bottle of concentrated HF..."

Yeah uhh you sure did since my flask looks a little sad.

:stonk:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Vice President Al GOR posted:

He ended the video mentioning hitting the hospital to test for mercury poisoning- what can they do to treat it aside from telling him to stop playing with turlets full of Hg?
Chelation is not just for quack chiropractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNpO5vvhpk

Just drinking some cyanide. #YOLO #Paracelsus
Should have had a bottle of poppers on deck.