Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
21st june '14

just in time for summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

you don't need to make a better product you just need more people willing to steal and copy it

e.g. lotus 123's grisly death

also i know the guy has a family and all but seriously, fire rob ford into the sun

lotus 123 is a great analog for blackberry. revolutionary when it came out, superceded by vastly superior clones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

i have that poo poo bookmarked and send it to people all the time (https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/)

this turned out to be a hoax

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i very briefly worked at a firm where they refused to actually fire people

they would just transfer you to a non-job with no duties and a cubicle far away from your old friends and coworkers. then they waited for some combination of shame and boredom to drive you out of the firm

they ended up with hundreds of deliberately-"forgotten" employees who just refused to leave. after that they moved to a different "rightsizing" mechanism which was even crazier but that's another story

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kenny Logins posted:

London Gets Launch Event For BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Porsche Design P’9983

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  AND  FACE  TO  PORSCHE  DESIGN

so they're doing a big old launch event, but it's exactly the same as the p'9982 (2013) and the p'9881 (2012)

gg blackberry, rehashing yesteryear's failures

(pictured: p'9981, the original model)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh someone hosed up in the news story. the p'9983, the new model, runs the new qnx-based OS, and it's hideously ugly

also no one has committed to manufacturing it yet. just mockups. vaporware, from the makers of.... poo poo people forgot about.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the iphone 6+ is $750
the galaxy note 4 is $750
both are manufactured with the greatest economies of scale

what do you think a low-production, almost engineering sample, phone is gonna be like when it's $250 less than the competitors?

build quality is gonna be laughable. like $99 android tablet laughable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

in a way i admire their devotion to the kitchener-waterloo area

but it's impossible not to laugh at this bullshit

quote:

Through Quantum Valley Investments Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin, founders of the “Smart Phone” industry, have been focusing on the commercialization of breakthrough technologies in Quantum Information Science. By doing so they are continuing to further their shared vision toward the development of the “Quantum Valley” in the Waterloo Region of Canada.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
after bbry starts with the mass layoffs k-w will go back to being a sleepy university town

only with lots of homeless software "engineers"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

jesus its not even a touchscreen phone

in tyool 2014

it has a touch screen but none of the five buyers have figured it out yet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I'm sure the kernel is fine. figuring out that user space has wedged itself into a condition it will never recover from is very difficult to do, so the kernel doesn't know the system needs a reboot.

is this is a metaphor for blackberry the corporation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

3x faster than that thing from 2011 oh baby

just the browser.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

minivanmegafun posted:

uh i was a tourist in nyc once

i visited brooklyn and the bronx and queens as well as manhattan

i looked at staten island and thought better.

a trip to staten island is honestly the best tourist thing in nyc. ride the ferry out for free, drink one dollar beers, observe the lower manhattan skyline, and take photos of the statue of liberty. it can't be beat.

unfortunately, it's mandatory to get off on staten island briefly. you can't ride the same ferry boat both ways.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

fishmech doesn't have a sense of scale, he only cares about being technically correct. I hope this is not a new revelation to any of you

San Francisco is hilly, Manhattan is flat as far as humans are concerned

manhattan has great changes in elevation, but it is carefully graded

pedestrians climb mild grades for miles to reach high points. it's like switchbacks without photo opportunities :smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my boss loved, loved, loved to send the goddamn alerts. basically you'd alert someone (i don't remember what the BB term for it was) and the blackberry would ring until you either canceled it or hit the walkie-talkie button.

how long did you last at this job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

THC posted:

Saw a guy using a Passport in the elevator of my new condo.

That business-doing mover and shaker is on a lower floor than me :shepface:

are you both in toronto

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I was in Canada once, it was okay

clearly you visited in summer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol could you imagine if us reps all had to drive f150s?

in michigan they basically have to. maybe not an f-150, but something domestic.

this is a provincial legislator in ontario complaining about being forced to use phones designed by blackberry in ontario

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Thanks Ants posted:

lol who the gently caress are sybase

sybase were the original authors of microsoft sql

the fact that you have never heard of them, but ms sql is an industry leader, should tell you everything you need to know about sybase sales and marketing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bonzo posted:

And was then sold to SAP

that was pretty much the best possible outcome for sybase

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LastInLine posted:

like somehow 2b in dollar bills were worth less because it was them who had it

this is exactly what it means when the stock market values you at less than your assets

management is so stupid that shareholders don't think the firm can even be liquidated successfully

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

the original iphone was simply poo poo tbqh

the original iphone was an incredibly cool tech demo

i have nfc why they thought they could make it a product

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Kins posted:

reuters is reporting that blackberry is rumored to be considering throwing its metaphorical hands up, going "gently caress it" and just flat-out releasing an android

so i can definitely imagine a world where BB builds a business on managing android/ios devices. that's a pretty crowded market, but BB already has a lot of advantages over the incumbents.

what i don't get at all is why they would want to continue to make hardware.

• every android maker except samsung loses money
  • blackberry hasn't delivered a competitive hardware device in ten years
  • blackberry has no special advantages over incumbents in the hardware market
  • blackberry as a brand has no cachet with consumers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is the best thing that could have happened

the insurance payout is much more valuable than the retail sales

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

There Will Be Penalty posted:

what i really want is a hardware slider phone running ios with a keyboard more like my old treo 680. i texted like a mofo on that thing.

you're never going to get this because it is objectively stupid. people can operate the ios software keyboard as fast as the crappy shrunken ones they used to put in phones. there is no advantage to the hardware keyboard.

it was necessary once upon a time because phone chips were not fast enough to work with multitouch input and infer intent. that time is past.

i suspect blackberry's remaining consumer business is slackjawed yokels who want a hardware keyboard more than they care about whether their smartphone actually works

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
since the announcement is dated sept 28 i guess that makes "paopi" the winning egyptian month

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

no they did not, because ios has basically nothing to do with os x

ios is just embedded osx

it's true that they don't derive their profits from selling the software, but you can't dispute that ios is, in fact, an osx derivative.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

apple made $53.4 bn in profit last year almost entirely by selling devices running some version of osx (mac, iphone, ipad, watch, tv)

those devices just as easily could have been running linux or solaris or whatever. (apple very nearly licensed solaris before the NeXT purchase)

it's a little weird that apple retains their own proprietary unix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

can you run os x applications on it without complicated compatibility layers? answer: no

you could, if apple let you. which they will not.

there is no technological reason you couldn't. it's an osx kernel with an osx userspace running on an osx filesystem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

blackberry os was originally meant to run on a portable revision of the 80386 and just handle displaying and sending email over a low speed wireless data network - not even interfacing with SMS services or traditional pager systems. this was gradually adapted into doing telephony and then actually running other applications.

you had to buy different devices if you wanted to use email on a microsoft exchange system or if you wanted to use email with a more typical pop3/imap system. needed to connect to both? gotta carry two of them

the "pager" models were shortlived and nobody remembers them. they re-did the hardware and re-wrote the software from scratch in a few years later.

in 2002 the main product was a multitasking smartphone with 2G internet, that used java for 100% of development, both system and applications. they were way the gently caress ahead of their time, and squandered it all

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i carried around one of these and still got laid. 2003 was a wonderful time.

you carried a pager from 1997 and still got laid in 2003 ?

that is really quite impressive, since anyone who mattered already had a "real" blackberry by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tayter Swift posted:

This isn't Blackberry trying to recapture a market. This device is a goodbye to their faithful; a chance to keep their beloved keyboards and move to a new platform. This their last device, that's what they've said. The name will live on but not actual Blackberries as we have known them.

It's a thankyou to the people who love the company.

a "thank you," a solid "gently caress you," whatever

why split hairs

• Locked thread