Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mans posted:

Yeah i read about the lightning and i'm okay with that because i'm not a child. I thought people were talking about actual graphic downgrading. Whiny goons will be whiny goons.

That is a graphics thing though.

E ^^^ Framerate is better too, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

PS you all are a bunch of whiny babies. For every area that looks bad the game has 2 that look stunning.
So a third of the game looks bad? :v:

quote:

I'm super excited for the pc version.
Yeah, me too. Doesn't change the fact I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics changes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dark Souls 1 is a great game, and is a lot of fun on PC.

Hakkesshu posted:

You can just avoid hackers by staying hollow, can't you? There probably aren't that many great opportunities for coop now, anyway.

You might still want to summon in Solaire, or do the NPC invasions, etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doesn't even need to be a boss fight, a small summon sign can do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Office Thug posted:

So, the second boss took me about 50 tries before I found out you just needed to precision-roll to the right to avoid all his attacks. And the new area looks like it's going to be an absolutely terrible linear slog and it's sucking my will to continue playing this game. Do things get any better or should I just re-instal Dark Souls 1 and replay that instead?

The game is pretty drat non-linear, especially early on. There's a good chance that that "second boss" you were talking about was actually an optional one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Office Thug posted:

The Pursuer, and I'm in Lost Bastille, had to look up the name.

If you don't want to do the Lost Bastille now you could try heading back to Majula and looking for another area: Heide's Tower of Flame.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I went that way and its a lot harder than if you go back and go through the tower of heide's

I found it handy to go to the Bastille for a bit (enough to unlock a couple of bonfires), and then to double back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

If you haven't done Heide's Tower do that first. Bastille is actually notorious for a lot of new players if you haven't gotten used to your build.

A less sadistic game would have had hinted (or outright told) people to go to Heide's after the Last Giant, I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Plus the changes to the Protection rings (and the ability to wear more rings) makes losing souls easier to prevent. This isn't to say Soul Memory is good, but overall the game is a bit more forgiving than DS1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Also has anyone got any tips for the gargoyles? I can never get any hits off as I am instantly ganked by the other gargoyles when I get one into a vulnerable position.
The main thing I found as a sorcerer was to be incredibly mobile and to focus as much as possible on hurting only one at a time. Was a lot of fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Gutter made good use of the torch and I liked seeing more and more of the level light up as I progressed. It's a long way from being my favourite bit of the game, but I'm glad it was in there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This is why I don't get people thinking Dark Souls 2 has a bad story.
I'm only 30-something hours in, but so far there hasn't been anything I'd really call a story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

The story is in the item descriptions, character dialogue and personal observations. You're not going to find a story if you're not looking for it.

To me that is lore and world-building rather than an actual story. I think the Souls games do a fantastic job of that, and a pretty awful job of actually having a plot which progresses as you play the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

kazil posted:

It's got a plot that progresses, it's just not as obvious as, say, Skyrim. There aren't quest givers and waypoints holding your hand as you play.

If you narrowly define the story or plot as NPCs telling you exactly what to do, then I guess you could say Dark Souls doesn't have much of a plot.

I'm not defining it that narrowly. In virtually all of what I've seen so far (and this applies to most of Dark Souls 1 as well) the game is more like archaeology or reading about a long-dead cold case; what changes is what you know about the world, not what is actually happening in it. Aside from clunky, awkward NPC dialog the series does a fantastic job of avoiding exposition dumps in favour of more natural methods of world-building, it's just that that doesn't translate into having an actual narrative for most of the game.

Metroid Prime takes a similar approach, now that I think about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

^^ Can you imagine if she said that every time you tried to interact with her? :v:

They really should move all her dialogue to behind the "talk" option.
I like that she reminded me that I'd found a shard, but yeah, it was stupid to hear the same poo poo over and over every time I wanted to level up or whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

How? :psyduck: How do you not go directly to the bonfire and light it, then immediately see the woman standing there and talk to her? What the hell.

She's standing away from the bonfire initially, and she doesn't stand out that much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WYA posted:

I'm stuck in the area with the long armed creatures and zombies, any tips?

Use a torch.

More a more permanent solution use a Pharros Lockstone.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Didn't someone piece together the levels and find they made no sense as a contiguous world?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the lack of fun is caused by frustration, which is in turn a direct result of playing like a bad and being punished for it.

Being punished for mistakes is pretty much how the entire franchise works though. If you're up to the Shrine you're pretty clearly on-board with the idea that difficult things can be fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

kazil posted:

This is misleading. Yeah, there's a door you can open that leads to a blocked off place, but calling it a shortcut is generous.

Really, No Man's Wharf felt like the one place in the game that really needed a real shortcut. I thought that the pier with the magic dude (sorry don't know his name magic is for losers) would have something that clears or bypasses the rubble on the docks.
Yeah, it really felt like that was where an actual shortcut would have been.

I get the impression (based on the heavy use of the torch, the larger gap between bonfires and the overall high quality of the place) that it was one of the first areas they finished. One of my favourite bits of the game so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WYA posted:

Can I exchange boss souls for things or are they just for emergency soul gaining?

You can exchange them for things.

You need to unpetrify someone in the Bastille, near the bridge to Sinner's Rise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Regarding invasions - is it strange that I haven't had one yet? I was kind of expecting that to be more of a presence than it was for me in Dark Souls since more people are playing this game now. I dunno if maybe my connection is wonky or if the invasion mechanic just isn't that prevalent. I do see tons of messages, bloodstains, and phantoms though so at least that's fun.
Outside of a few specific areas Invasions are very rare in NG.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Aw that's dumb that they gimped invasions like that. I was looking forward to getting slaughtered by people much much better than me.
There are multiple zones dedicated to that if you want.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There are a few areas where the torch is really handy (plus it makes the game look a lot better). You can generally use them whenever you want.

Alan Smithee posted:

there is ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing to light on fire that makes a boss fight way way easier and unless you already know it you likely wont make the connection windmill in Harvest Valley to drain the poison pool
There's another boss fight that can be made easier with the torch too The Sinner.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

You don't need a shield for bosses. You can deal with literally all of them by roll alone (especially if you're 19.9% weight and under, although that's overkill).
Yeah, but tanking bosses in co-op with a big-arse shield is fun and effective.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wait, so the bridge at the start of Iron Keep is some sort of unofficial PvP area?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Monowhatever posted:

it's super fun to drop a red eye orb there and gently caress with some fight club stuffs

Jamfrost posted:

It's right by the Dragon Covenant and a bonfire. Incredibly convenient. Another popular place is by the last bonfire of Iron Keep because it's built for cage matches.

I didn't know, although I'd begun to suspect due to some of the strange summons I was getting. Lesson learnt I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Control Volume posted:

If someone summons you there and you see a red phantom, the right and proper thing to do is let the red phantom blast the host. Not because of honor or anything, but because you know that the type of person who pulls that sort of low effort grief is the sort of person who would be very irate about dying while his buddies spam the "No way" emote.

Doesn't do much good if the Red Phantom comes after me first.

I've got zero interest in PvP at the moment, so I'll just ignore the area.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

Is the leveling system rebalanced in this game? I just started playing today, and I'm already level 53.
Amongst other changes, it's generally much easier to regain souls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

No harm in trying. You can just drop a sign by the bonfire and walk people through, you learn the lay of the land at no risk that way. A lot of people have problems with the first boss of the Keep and will want a summon, so if you're in range you'll know soon enough.

That area is used for PvP a lot, so you might get summoned into to fight other players.

And one important fact about the first boss in Iron Keep is that it's optional.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you worry about that stuff, just drop the sign by the boss door and you'll almost never get summoned for anything but boss fights. I've been summoned to deal with an invader a couple times but it's really rare. Though once after killing the blue cop the host kicked me out. I just wanted a sun medal. :smith:

Yeah, I just like using the small summon stone to get back humanity and recharge stuff. Works fine most of the time, just not when you run into unofficial PvP areas.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Fashion Souls also involves making yourself look so ridiculous that your opponent spends a minute figuring out what the gently caress he's looking at. :colbert:
Also so that people summon you in because you look awesome rather than being dude-with-spear-123.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I feel a little the same way, I just get ADP to 20 asap, and then forget all about it. It's not a dump stat, but it is pretty useless in a way. I guess FROM looked at the way a lot of players cheesed big strikes in DS/DeS and decided to make iframes something you had to stat for.

I think it was also meant to make Resistance a stronger stat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The fastest way to getting 'good' stuff is to go straight to 20/20 magic/faith to blag yourself the hexer's set, then another 2 faith for lightning spear. If you're decent enough you can do that within an hour. Last Giant - Dragonrider is all it takes.
In fact you could probably even just go straight to Dragonrider from Things Betwixt and treat yourself to that lightning spear ability really early. If my new character is going to be using any form of miracles, that's literally the first thing I do.

Would going straight to Dragonrider give you enough souls though?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Both of the jumping controls kinda suck really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have gone the entirety of this game without parrying a single enemy once and I'll be damned if I start now

:):hf::)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

oneof3steves posted:

The loving jumping controls in this game... I die more often to pressing the goddamn buttons and happily rolling off a cliff than I do to any enemies... give me a motherfucking jump button that I can loving press when I want to jump.

edit: is there some way to make it so that the highest risk moments in the game are not stupid jumps? Or is my controller hosed up somehow?

You can try the alternate controls. They still suck, but they might work better for you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Thanks for the help, everyone! Though uuuuuuuuuuuuh I think I'm still missing something about tip #1 because I went down to the Tower of Flame and saw it was a clusterfuck of big dudes so I made a break for it and picked up everything I saw along the way. I didn't come across any rings but I did find a friendly fellow by the name of Dragonrider and he kindly pushed my poo poo in. So now I'm out 10k souls! :buddy:

E: You went the wrong way to get the ring; turn left instead of right.

I also think that ring is really unimportant.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Found where I made the wrong turn and then just ended up at a dead end with eight giant dudes hot on my tail so I boned out.

I'm going to trust you that the ring is a waste of time because I just wasted a bunch of mine.

The ring makes dying repeatedly less punishing, but it's generally easy to just drop a small soapstone sign and become human again with the benefit of recharging stuff and getting souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Ring of Binding is still not worth putting any extra effort in to get.