Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The agreement with AT&T isn't an exclusive one; other carriers can carry the phone if they want. I presume they would have announced others already if they planned to have it ready at launch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I played with the 950XL. No hardware buttons! I also noticed, it's a dual SIM.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tanith posted:

So for those of you who've fiddled with these things, has anyone messed with the camera? How long between the actual press and the photo being captured?

It seemed to be pretty quick. Much, much faster than my 1020. Both in starting the camera app, taking a pic, and then being ready to take another. It was tethered down to the table so I couldn't do any real tests of course. This is something I wanted to see as I love my 1020's camera but it's so very slow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sounds dumb but make sure you aren't accidentally opening the camera while talking. It'll get very warm and it's hard to tell the camera is on because it doesn't actually display.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It sounds like only the unlocked variants will be dual-SIM, which is pretty lame. Haven't confirmed that yet, keep an eye when AT&T gives more info tho.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

As a Lumia 1020 haver I'm quite excited for this phone. Hopefully they'll have the 950 regular at Microsoft or AT&T stores soon to compare to the XL.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think it was an iPhone update that caused AT&T towers to reboot. lol.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody know if the 950 is out to play with at MS or AT&T stores? (The non-XL version?)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I prefer the term quadrangles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

8.1 Are you seriously telling me that the alarm volume cannot be changed?

Sounds like a goddamn fire alarm going off, when all I need is a gentle beep.

Are they fcking kidding me?

It crescendos on mine.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I figured I would try a windows phone since cricket had one for $29.99 that felt pretty solid. Is there a messenger compatible app that has a landscape keyboard? Using the mobile site to do messaging uses noticeably more data.

I'm really trying to give it a chance. The lack of a landscape keyboard in almost all third party apps is making it hard. The only bright spot so far compared to my cheap android 2 phone is that it has a better battery life while emulating the GBA.

What kind of messaging are you talking about? They should support landscape.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wookieepelt posted:

Have you tried Waze? I used to use that. It worked.

I don't think Waze for WP has been updated in a year and a half or so. Google bought them, so...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does the Bluetooth stack still kill audio output in 10? Cause the Bluetooth implementation in 8.1 is poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it FCC approved yet?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

That's the 950. They're talking about the 950XL, which has a bigger screen and a slightly better processor (I would like to know if it offers real-world benefits though).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they're shifting their focus onto recompiling iOS apps as it's proving a lot more fruitful than the Android front and sounds like good progress is being made?

I hope this forces companies like Google & Snapchat to either develop their apps for Windows Phone or prove they're just assholes (they are) by not bothering.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DarkMalfunction posted:

They could at least just publish the APIs and let other people do it, of which there are plenty of people willing to do so. (remember 6snap?)

Exactly. Waze was also actively on Windows Phone until Google bought it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it USB-C on both ends or does it come with a cable that will plug into an older charger?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Smoke posted:

Cursor control, touch and drag in the direction you want the cursor to go. It's pretty drat great, and I've had cases before upgrading where I actually could have really used something like that.

There used to be a nice way to move the cursor in WP 8.0 by holding down the screen but they removed it in 8.1 for some reason. :S

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The 950 at AT&T comes with a USB A to USB C cable, as well as a hardwired wall charger. So, if you've got an older charger, you effectively get two ways to charge the phone in the box.

Cool. is it dual SIM?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The unlocked XL at the Microsoft store definitely is dual. Sounds like the AT&T non-XL isn't.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Go person from Brasil with 120 sessions.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can you downgrade a 950 to 8.1?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rip Testes posted:

Lumia 1520, Windows Phone 8.1.

Why does xbox music take forever to load up an album in my collection? I'll select the artist and the screen will just be black for 20 seconds or so before the album art and track list display.

Because it sucks. If you have a way to launch the 8.0 music app (there's something like Music Hub Tile that will do it) it's nearly instantaneous and much less buggy!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

HAAAA! Put this in One Sentence Reviews!

It's a legit question. :/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm seeing a lot of emojis coming though from other phones (iPhones) which aren't compatible with WPhone (8.1). I'm guessing MS hasn't gotten up to date on the current unicode? What's the word on WP10? Is stuff like motorcycle coming through?

iOS 9 introduced color emojis. Also, Kim Kardashian emojis or something???

larchesdanrew posted:

It also does that with the word windows but you know whatevs.

My phone doesn't do that???

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I gave my mom my 925 and we're running into an issue where if she is on speakerphone, the person on the other end (tested on an iPhone 5S, a 640, and a 950) can't hear her, but it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly. I'm positive I didn't have this issue when I owned the phone and the stuff online is all about not being able to hear the person on the other end. Any ideas?

What do you mean it's fine if you're on speaker? Anyways, try taking video with the phone and seeing if it records audio properly. If your wide area microphone is not working you might get just one audio channel instead of stereo. That's what happened with my 1020, I presume the 925 works similarly. You'll need to playback the video on stereo speakers or headphones to tell.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

That "it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly" should have had an and, not an or. :downs: It also works if we're both speaking regularly. Anyway, you're exactly right, when I played back a video with headphones, I couldn't hear through one earpiece. I don't suppose you managed to fix it? :v:

I had a shop fix it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

1280x720 is a bit disappointing considering the rest.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they were having a lot of trouble with Astoria.

Islandwood is proceeding as noted.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drastic Actions posted:

Ehhhh I can't say right now for sure, but I think so. It does support it in the iOS/tvOS version. I don't know if there's a reason it's not working right now on WinRT. But the goal is to get as many codecs as possible working. Especially since this is a UWP and you want that working beyond mobile (Xbox One, Hololens). I know one of the things they want to do is get DVD (and maybe Bluray) playback working, since I think UWP allows for access to those devices, which it was not before with 8.1. I know my dream, if I had time and energy to do it, is to get "mounting" DVDs or Blurays working in the app, so if you're on your phone or using it with continuum, you can watch full movies with menus back on it.

Wow, I still can't get Blurays to run on my computer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it is what I think it is you'll be surprised. If it's the Surface Phone well that isn't much of a secret is it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

loquacius posted:

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed mostly because if it was anything that would actually make a difference they'd be livestreaming it everywhere they could rather than keeping it all hush-hush

Being a tease about it for more than 24 hours is kind of lovely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LifeSizePotato posted:

Daniel Rubino has caused a bit of a stir with his insinuation that something interesting is coming to WP:

He and some other Windows bloggers are all together somewhere in NYC for what is assumed to be a surprise MS press conference.

All aboard the hype train! Next stop: Disappointmentville.

Did this guy ever say what he was talking about?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kidney Stone posted:

So, the things I've trie duntil now, is several soft resets, and two or three hard resets - still no luck.

Was thinking that I'll wait until WIndows 10 Mobile gets released and, hopefully, pushed to the device.

I'd rather wait until 10.1 comes out or whatever. I don't trust it so far by everything in this thread haha.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kuroshi posted:

Still waiting on the new Camera app to support DNG on my old 1020.

Also mad as hell that they restrict tethering support, but don't know how to ask 99% of cellular networks if you have permission to use it, so it doesn't work with my provider, T-Mobile. It helpfully pops up a prompt that asks if I wish to launch my provider's app, but it fails to launch T-Mobile's app, which doesn't have a tethering setting anyway. The same SIM supports tethering in my default phone, an iPhone 6s+. Guess I'll stick to using the Lumia as a portable camera that tries too hard, and use the iPhone as my actual phone.

I'll probably ditch the 1020 as a camera the day I can afford to replace it with a Light L16.

Are you running 10 on your 1020? Is the camera any faster?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wookieepelt posted:

Groove frequently stops playing under lock screen or refuses to play music in the background. I have to reset my phone. Sometimes I have to reset it because it can't sign in. It happens often enough to be frustrating. The problem is, after 8 years I have a lot of subscription music that I would lose if I stopped using Groove.

Are you using Bluetooth?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Using Bluetooth sometimes crashes the whole audio stack in 8.1, curious if that's been fixed. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh of course people will keep using it. But seeing the growth in Xamarin usage, especially among big companies, people do want performance. A good amount of the companies who switch to us do because they tried HTML5 apps and it failed (You could argue it's on them, but whatever :v:). And as more companies see users reject lovely web apps, I think more will seriously consider things like Xamarin. HTML5 has its advantages, and is getting better for perf, but I'm confident that it won't be as good as what we're doing. Again, slightly biased.

But make sure you watch the Build keynotes next week, some really cool stuff is coming that'll be awesome and solve some of these pain points. And for anyone is going, I'll be there! So be sure to say hi. :)

are we going to get android apps on wp finally?
when are the iPhone ones coming?

beuges posted:

Rad, but useless to most of the world since Cortana is still idiotically limited to a handful of regions. Just like WP10. I have a 930 which is on the supported list for receiving the final build of WP10 but nothings available yet.
For a company that needs every bit of market share it can get, MS really seems desperate to have WP10 in as few hands as possible. And by tying all these new features into Cortana and making huge announcements about them, but then still not making Cortana available to most of the world, it's like they really enjoy giving a big up-yours to the diminishing support-base that they have left.

because wp10 is buggy and they're ashamed :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can you set your VPN only to activate only on insecure hotspots? Not worried about secured wifi obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought another party was bringing Android apps to Windows Phone but I guess not. :(