Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

NorgLyle posted:

I know my last post in this thread was also about Star Wars but I swear that I do watch other movies sometimes.

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was." - Yoda.

"He is too old. Yes. Too old to begin the training." - Yoda again.

" That boy is our last hope." - Obi Wan Kenobi.

Well, guys, not trying to point out holes in your brilliant 'Leave the last hope of the galaxy on a moisture farm" plan, but if proper Jedi training takes time and is best started young, why the hell didn't Obi Wan put the plan in motion years earlier?

He knew where Luke was, he knew where Yoda was, Yoda knew where Luke was and apparently what he was doing the whole time. What was the backup plan if Leia didn't stick the Death Star plans in a random passing droid who was able to escape capture because of the worst Imperial Officer in the entire series?

(I know even Family Guy made fun of the "No life signs" gunnery guy but geez.)

I always thought that Yoda was saying no and making excuses to Luke to see if Luke was really committed to the training, or if he would peace out as soon as he heard a no. This plays into his old kung fu master persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

You should watch Misfits.

Save me, Barry!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

El Cid posted:

Speaking of book-Chewie how was Chewbacca even handled in the Star Wars books? Like... do authors just always have someone around to translate for him? It just doesn't seem like it would feel right if he had directly translated lines in the book, like "'Oh no, look out, a Storm Trooper!' roared Chewie".

Yeah usually Han or Lando or whoever just translated for him.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

My IMM is that I like Mystery Men but nobody else does.

Len posted:

I like if too :unsmith:

Me, too v:shobon:v

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm pretty sure that title card gag has been around a lot longer than whatever that link is from

It definitely is, but Funny Games is a p. good movie.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

kizudarake posted:

That I can't think of the right words to search for this iconic LA area house from TV and movies. It's one story, all white concrete and glass walls, and surrounds a pool set in the deck, which juts out over the canyon below. They specifically use it in the first two episodes of season 7 of Archer. There is no privacy in the bedroom from the living room.

Stahl House 22?
http://stahlhouse.com/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Encino Man is amazing.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Slime posted:

In the cartoon series there's plenty of supernatural nasties that were never human. Actually even in the original you've got hellhounds and a god so even there not all the things the ghostbusters take out are literal ghosts of dead humans.

To elaborate, some of the things they fought were direct manifestations of intense negative emotions, according to some of the background material I've read. Some of that might be from the comic books though. Even look at the things animated by the mood slime in GB2.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

He was pretty great in Misfits.

Save me, Barry!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

This should encourage people to check this out btw. Bobcat is an interesting director.

There's a decent number of modern based Bigfoot hunting low budget flicks. I've seen at least 3-4 that were Bigfoot oriented found footage flicks and I haven't gotten a chance to dig into some of the older Bigfoot flicks out there.

God Bless America was a masterpiece imo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Handmaid's Tale poo poo again.

How many generations of Handmaids are they really expecting? I mean, if all the babies that aren't shredders are Daughters and Sons/Angels, after what, 10, 15 years all the Handmaids will be in menopause. So you make them Marthas or send them away? But where are new Handmaids going to be coming from?

Handmaids aren't the only child-bearing women in Gilead, if I remember correctly. The Marthas and the Aunts are the only classes of women who are specifically mentioned as being infertile. Handmaids are just fertile women who have broken gender and/or social laws.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Temple of Doom is fine. It's not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The part with the Dwarves invading Bilbo's house at the beginning was really spot on. Its too bad the rest of the movies couldn't maintain that tone and style.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Sorta the same issue is how I can't stand reality TV because I know it's fake but it's trying to pretend it's real. Sure some of it might be real but I'm always left wondering how much of what I see is fake editing wrapped around a bit of truth.

So many of my friends don't get it, afterall <thing I like> is also not real, but it's not trying to pretend it's real. It's totally different :colbert:

That's definitely one of the reasons that reality TV is awful. Every single one has the same stupid editing, same stupid music, same "confessionals" same cliffhangers that amount to nothing at every commercial break. It's all so contrived.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The no-drama ones like Henson's creature shop challenge are fun, since they can't really use the generic forced drama.

My wife and I started watching this show on PBS called Market Warriors that was actually entertaining. It was like antiques roadshow combined with Flea Market Flip. A little bit of stupid drama but they regularly go into a lot of detail into the history/background of some of the different objects.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I am ashamed to say I have never seen The Rocketeer.

The best part about the Rocketeer is how the gangster bad guy still joins forces with the good guys because gently caress nazis

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The thing that irrationally irritates me about Bojack Horseman is that they're animals. Why are they animals? What does the show gain by having animals as characters instead of humans? Those occasional jokes where someone has a particular trait because of what type of animal they are? Those are the worst part of the show.

For surrealism and because its ironic to have stupid animal jokes in an otherwise dark show.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

jabby posted:

Something from Life.

Yes, I know if you allow an alien organism onto Earth there's a chance it carries a disease or something that will gently caress your poo poo up. But the part where the female scientist sends her warning message about how this thing is a threat to ALL HUMAN LIFE and must be destroyed AT ALL COSTS just seemed way out of proportion.

I mean, it's a dog sized alien that's strong enough to squish you with its tentacles. Which, by the way, would not enable it to move very well under normal gravity. We know it's at least mildly flame-retardant because that's literally all they tried to kill it with, but you'd basically have gotten the same result if you released a raging panther on their space station and you wouldn't call the panther a threat to all human existence.

Like, why are they so convinced the alien will destroy Earth and won't just be killed by the first human with a gun it encounters? It has shown nothing to suggest it's particularly dangerous to anything but unarmed idiots in the same room.

Calvin was from a Mars rock, right? I think the implication is that it wiped out all life on Mars millions of years ago and then went into some sort of hibernation state.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

If they didn't mention it, it would be the only piece of Alien fiction that didn't. It must be possible to come up with some plotline other than "Assholes are trying to use xenomorphs as weapons, xenos get out of control, ninety minutes of gore and jumpscares, someone escapes."

The only reason the Nostromo even went to LV-426 is because Mother detected the signal from the Star Jockey craft and the Company wants to get its hands on any alien technology. And then remember that Bilbo Baggins was trying to use the crew as incubators to bring back the Xenomorph.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Rihanna already looks like a sexy alien, so why even hide that

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

10 Beers posted:

To make matters even worse, Jason Momoa said that one of the reasons he likes the genre of sci-fi/fantasy is that his character can "rape beautiful women."

That probably was a joke, albeit in very poor taste.

Edit: I am not a rapist for suggesting a joke might have been a joke. I do not condone the joke.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lagertha is way better than Aslaug in almost every way and that's my opinion about Vikings thank you for reading

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I thought it was a dumb, fun B-movie, but definitely something that has MST3K potential.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Where the hell is Bolt, the best Disney movie ever made?

Wow I never even heard of this movie

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

If I'm watching a movie on bluray, I don't need a commercial trying to convince me that I should be watching movies on bluray.

Discs from Redbox usually have about 15 trailers you have skip one at a time before you even get to the main menu. If it cost anymore than $1.50, I would just pirate it.

And yes I WOULD DOWNLOAD A CAR

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

A Quiet Place They should have just tried playing some Slim Whitman from the beginning.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I saw a post about how nobody rips huge farts in A Quiet Place on facebook and now the movie is ruined for me.

Maybe they have a stockpile of bean-o

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

oldpainless posted:

On the Joel mchale show Joel stands there in this weird slumped over way that annoys me

He's been doing that ever since Talk Soup on E! and I have no idea why

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Also this is my irritating movie moment why come movies now don't have the title at the beginning and do it now at the very end before credits, that's so obnoxious

So there's actually a mildly interesting explanation for this. The various guilds and unions have contractually obligated requirements for how credit is given to their members. This will vary slightly from production to production. The old convention was to put all the credits at the beginning, and then just have a title card saying "The End" at the conclusion of the film. This is why older movies have really long boring credits sequences at the beginning. It was supposed to be imitating a playbill as if it were a live production. George Lucas was actually fined $250,000 by the director's guild of america because he didn't put his own name in the beginning of Star Wars in 1977.

A lot of movies nowadays will just have a title card at the beginning. Many modern films will actually have 2 closing credits sequences because they are obligated to list certain credits twice and with no opening credits, this is the only solution.

Independent films can pretty much do whatever they want if they don't have any union involvement.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Randalor posted:

I'm predicting the last line of Venom is going to be him stating "I am Venom".

Don't forget the smash cut to title card

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

syscall girl posted:

In Handmaid's Tale the main protagonist is a christian woman even after being hosed over

I'm waiting for the Type-O Negative song

Elizabeth Moss is a scientologist so she's used to that kind of cognitive dissonance.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Kramdar posted:

There’s that other movie with Amanda Seyfried and also Ben Solo that I think is a good pivot on that genre. The one with the beastie boy and also Ben Stiller.
"While We're Young"

Yeah that was a pretty good flick. Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried do a great job playing insufferable hipsters

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Movies that end on a "gently caress you" note. Like this movie I just finished called Primal Rage: The Legend of Oh-Mah (would not recommend, especially if you don't like the idea of a bigfoot rape scene), the protagonist beats the bigfoot in a heroic last stand and you think he is about to go home, but then nope, two more bigfoots kill him and fade to credits. There was absolutely no indication that there were more than one of them in the area for the entire rest of the movie. It's like that comedy cliche they used to do where the character is yelling in the street or whatever and gets plowed over by a bus, but instead of being funny it's just annoying and makes me felt like I wasted my time watching it.

Every loving horror movie does this and its more of a surprise when they don't at this point

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Poldarn posted:

I've been a 10 year old for about 20 years, JW2 was dope.

I liked it more than Jurassic World 1 because I think no innocent people died in this one, so all the dinosaurs eating people was pretty guilt-free

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Samuringa posted:

What We Do In The Shadows does it sometimes but the best is at the party near the end because at that point you either had forgotten those guys shouldn't be there or you were also wondering why they're there and it's a great payoff in either case.

Just rewatched this again and it's still loving hilarious BTW

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Also, Yoda acting like he's not going to teach Luke because Luke is too old is just bullshit. Yoda knows exactly who Luke is and why he's there, of course he's going to teach him. It's the entire reason he and Obi-Wan went into exile, so that they could hopefully be able to help spark a revolution against Palpatine when the time was right.

Yeah that part is just some kung-fu movie BS where the student has to prove to the sensei that he REALLY REALLY wants to be trained.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Many spies have many eyes

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

This gets especially goofy in Lost, where the characters are bonking each other on the head so often with so little consequence that it's basically an on-off switch.

Starting at 7:00 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jzwny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The more I see that Fantastic Beasts movie the more irritated I get with Newt. That stupid loving look he always has on his face like he's a permanently confused toddler. Why do so many movies think "eccentric" has to mean whatever the hell childish thing they were going for with his character?

That's just what Eddie Redmayne's face looks like